• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
Sorry for killing everyone with that extra. Does it make it any better if it ripped my heart out to draw it? No? Okay. :<

(Thanks tons for the reactions, though.)

I mean, she doesn't want to disappoint him, but would she still feel the same if she thought he was using the rebels as pawns?
Would she, indeed? :)
I'm... kind of torn between being mad at Jade and sympathizing with her here. I don't read a lot of other reviews for fics I read, so I'm not sure if I'm the only one who thinks Jade can be a real selfish jerk sometimes, but it really shines through here.
I'm actually really glad you noticed this, because I made me realize that it's going to be important to the next arc (Jade making a situation about herself, and then later regretting it.) However, that said, I was never too pleased with her reaction there, and I think I'll be editing it slightly. I do like the idea of her failing at sympathy due to being so overwhelmed, but I think I overdid it. I'm much happier with her reaction to Chibi in Chapter 23.

Well, here it is. The infamous “Chapter 13” subplot, and the only thing left from LC’s original draft. It’s quite a bit different that it was 15 years ago, though! That’s probably a good thing.

We’re closing in on the end here! Only two more arcs until the end of Book 1!

~Chapter 23: Betrayal~

dd5356a-976b4c8c-a380-436c-ab56-20385c9d8f7d.png

Sunlight filtered in through a crack in the curtains, falling across my face and slowly dragging me out of a heavy sleep. I blinked several times, putting a hand over my face to keep the sunbeam from stinging my eyes. It felt like I’d been hit by a truck. I honestly wasn’t sure whether I’d slept for five minutes or five days. Hazy memories started bubbling to the surface of my mind, one after another. The stadium engulfed in flames. Gunshots. Moltres. Running for our lives. Razors…

I shivered. That was… one hell of a nightmare.

I sat up and squinted at my surroundings as my eyes adjusted to the light. And then a chill fell over me. This wasn’t my room. I was in a small, cabin-style dormitory filled with beds, half of which were occupied by other members of the Rebellion.

So then… all of that from last night… that all really happened?

I collapsed back against the pillows like a heavy weight had just been dropped on me. All of that had really happened. The Rebellion was over. Nearly half the team was gone. Razors was gone. Stalker had disappeared.

But those of us who had escaped… we were still alive. I was so sure we’d be targeted here, I just hadn’t had the energy to deal with it last night.

Both Swift and Firestorm were already awake, the former gazing out the window and the latter idly playing with his tail flame. Aros and Stygian were curled up on the carpet near the doorway in a way that had probably made it difficult for anyone else to enter the room. The Absol’s coat was spotless, and it was impossible to tell that she’d been ashy and bloodstained the previous night. She must’ve spent most of the night cleaning herself.

Swift took that opportunity to push off from the windowsill and glide over to the bed, landing alongside me.

“*Morning,*” he chirped.

“Morning,” I replied automatically, glancing around the room once more. I had apparently set my Pokéballs on one of the tables by the doorway, judging by the fact that there were three of them sitting on the polished wooden surface next to a black hybrid ball. The latter of which was currently open.

“Where’s Chibi?” I asked warily.

At my words, Stygian partially opened a single eye to stare at me before yawning widely and sitting up. “*He broke out halfway through the night and ran off,*” the Absol said, rubbing a paw against her face.

Honestly, I couldn’t even blame him. Not after the way I’d spent an entire week holed up in my room. I only hoped he wouldn’t get spotted by the wrong people. He was usually pretty careful, but… in his current state…

“*I can’t pretend to know how he’s feeling,*” Aros said, sitting up suddenly with an alertness that made me doubt he’d really been asleep. “*The hybrids were always a lot closer with each other than the rest of us. We just gotta give him space.*”

Give him space… All right. I could do that.

A crushing emptiness had settled into the pit of my stomach. I couldn’t stop seeing it happen, over and over in my mind. Couldn’t stop seeing the look on Chibi’s face when it had happened. It felt like my heart was going to collapse inward on itself.

“I should have done something.”

The experiments tilted their heads in confusion, but Swift seemed to know what I was talking about. He stepped closer to me and gently asked, “*What should you have done?*”

“I don’t know. Something. Razors is dead and I watched it happen and I couldn’t do anything, but I should have figured something out,” I said, burying my face in my hands.

“*Please don’t blame yourself,*” the Pidgeotto said quietly. “*Not after everything you’ve been through.*”

I didn’t have anything to say to that. Not while my gut felt like it’d been punched and my hands were already soaked with tears.

“*Why didn’t you send us out?*” Firestorm murmured. Not this again.

“It wasn’t safe,” I muttered, wiping my eyes. That horrible feeling of paralysis flashed through my memory. Wanting to send someone out and fight back, but knowing I’d just be getting them killed.

“*But… I could have helped—*”

“You would have been shot,” I replied in what was probably a harsher tone than necessary, but I wasn’t in the best mindset to be tactful. The Charmeleon froze like he’d been slapped, then looked away and said nothing.

I put a hand to my forehead. “Sorry, sorry, it’s just… I don’t think I could handle losing any of you. Rudy’s going through that right now, and—”

“*Wait, what?*” Firestorm said, looking up suddenly.

“Wartortle,” I replied. The name said it all.

The Charmeleon blinked at me in confusion like I’d just told him the moon was square. “*Was he just… not strong enough…?*”

“Yeah, well maybe it wasn’t his fault he never got any training because no one ever thought he was worth anything, alright?” I snapped, slamming a fist against my knee. Rudy hadn’t thought so, and I hadn’t cared, and now he was dead, and no one could fix that, and I was completely not in the mood to deal with Firestorm’s stupid strength obsession. Even though I was his trainer, it was my job to deal with it, but dammit, not now. Later. I’d deal with it later. I had more pressing concerns. Like figuring out what to do with myself from now on.

I took a deep breath to steady myself and looked over each of my Pokémon, but then my eyes fell on the two clones. Figuring out what I was gonna do was one thing, but what about them?

“I… I’m not sure what you two want to do now,” I said awkwardly. “The Rebellion is over. That kind of rules out staying on Midnight Island.”

Aros folded his arms, throwing a sideways glance out the window. “*Might’ve crossed my mind, yeah,*” he said. Stygian had suddenly become very interested in licking her already spotless claws.

“I don’t know if there’s anywhere you’ve wanted to go? Both of your species aren’t even from this region, so…”

The Flygon tossed his head indignantly. “*You don’t expect us to make a living in the wild, do you? You know there’s nothing wild about us.*”

“*I was raised by humans, and I lived in the wild just fine,*” Firestorm pointed out.

“*Yeah, well you weren’t made by humans, were you?*” the dragon retorted, pointing a claw at the Charmeleon.

I really didn’t see how that was relevant to anything. “Look, I don’t care if you’re clones, alright? Where do you want to live? We can’t just leave you at the Pokémon Center.”

Aros peered at me through his red eye lenses, his expression hard to place. Finally, he said, “*Well then, given our choices, I think we could make do with having a trainer for now.*”

A heavy pause followed. I blinked at him, mouth agape, while my brain processed the implications of what he’d just said.

“Wait, what?

The Flygon folded his arms. “*There’s no place for us in the wild, and I still have business with the Rockets. Sticking with you right now is easiest.*” So I was just a means to an end, then.

My eyes traced the floor back and forth as I struggled to think of a response. “I… guess that makes sense?” Aros nodded in a self-satisfied way, like he’d sure showed me. “But seriously, you’re both on board with this?” I asked, throwing a bewildered look at Stygian, who’d been silent the whole time.

The Absol cracked one eye open, glancing at me out of its corner. “*As far as humans go, you’re not absolutely terrible,*” she offered.

I smiled weakly. “Thanks.” That might have been the nicest thing she’d ever said to me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I couldn’t just spend all day in the trainer’s dorm. Eventually, I had to make my way outside. I recalled all my Pokémon except for Aros, who didn’t have a Pokéball (I would need to get one for him at some point) before wandering toward the hallway to the lobby. On the way, I happened to pass by a floor-length mirror and caught a glimpse of my reflection out of the corner of my eye, which made me stop.

I looked like a mess. Still dressed in the same clothes I’d been sleeping in before the attack—an oversized t-shirt and drawstring pants that were now thoroughly torn on the legs—crumpled under a dirt and ash-covered jacket. A tangled pile of too-long blonde hair hung around my face (why hadn’t I noticed that it needed cutting until now?), and my eyes held a strange heaviness that I hadn’t seen before.

I didn’t look fourteen anymore. And not just because I was turning fifteen in two weeks. There was something else. It felt like I’d lived four years in the past four months, and that fact was plastered all over my face, even though I couldn’t really describe why.

With a long, slow exhale, I forced myself away from the mirror. No sense dwelling on pointless things like that.

The Pokécenter lobby wasn’t quite as packed as it had been last night, though there were still plenty of rebels and Pokémon and cops around. The overwhelming haze of grief and horror from the previous night had mellowed out into a lingering aura of calm, cold despair that hung in the air like a wet blanket. Some of the kids were talking with the police. Others were talking quietly amongst themselves in hushed, scared voices, glancing around frequently. Others sat alone, staring out the window in silence. I noticed Darren in the third category. Well, not quite alone; his Sneasel was next to him, making a game of jumping on and off the couch repeatedly.

Darren glanced up at me as I approached. “How’d you sleep?” he asked.

“I feel like I woke up from a coma and all of this is fake,” I said, unceremoniously flopping onto the couch with my arms hanging over the back.

“Ah… you too?” he replied.

I exhaled through the nose in a rough approximation of a laugh before leaning my head back against the couch cushion and rubbing my temples. Sneasel began idly clawing at the edge of my jacket. I didn’t remotely care enough to tell her to stop.

“Where’s Rudy?” I asked.

Darren nodded over his shoulder in the direction of the hallway I’d come from. “He requested a private room. Hasn’t come out yet.” He paused for a few seconds, then added, “I tried knocking but he didn’t answer.”

I gave a hollow laugh. “Can’t really blame him.” Not after what I did last week.

“He wouldn’t talk to me last night either. I don’t think he likes me much. I mean, that doesn’t bother me, it’s just…” His voice trailed off.

I furrowed my brow, like I was focusing on some hard to make out detail on the ceiling. A couple times I opened my mouth like I was going to say something, but no words came.

“I mean, it’s cool. You two were friends before all this. I get it,” Darren went on, with a tone that sounded like he was talking to no one in particular. Sneasel abandoned my jacket to jump in his lap, and he stroked her ear feathers absently.

“Are all your Pokémon alright?” I blurted out suddenly.

Darren blinked. “They’re fine. Kadabra saved our butts on more than one occasion.”

“Oh. That’s good.”

An awkward silence followed as I struggled to find something, anything to say. Anything we could have normally talked about felt pointless and inane right now, though.

After what felt like ages, Darren broke the silence. “I know it probably seems like I’m taking all this pretty well. Guess I’m not that great at expressing this kind of thing, huh?”

I glanced at him out of the corner of my eye without moving my head. He was staring out the window with an expression that was hard to place.

“It’s a lot to take in,” I finally said.

“Part of me’s grateful that my team and I got out of it as well as we did. I know that sounds terrible, but… I can’t help thinking it, y’know?” He paused, frowning. “Hang on, you didn’t lose any Pokémon, right?”

My Pokémon… Razors wasn’t my Pokémon.

“No,” I said, my voice hollow.

Darren let out a breath. “Okay. Just checking. Didn’t wanna say anything like that if you were in the same boat as Rudy.”

And then, in that moment, for whatever reason, I was hit with the crushing realization that everything I’d based my life around had completely and totally fallen apart, and I had no idea what I was supposed to do from now on.

“What are you gonna do now?” I asked, suddenly turning to face him. “I guess… what were you gonna do before the Rebellion? Rudy was always out for the whole ‘win the League, be a competitive battler’ deal, but I don’t think I’ve ever asked you.”

Darren crossed his arms behind his head with a thoughtful look. “I just wanted to get out of Celadon. See the rest of Kanto, maybe travel to other regions. I was tired of living in a town run by Rockets. Probably sounds silly that I joined an anti-Rocket team after wanting to get away from them, but”—the corners of his mouth curled up—“Stalker was pretty persuasive when I met him.”

“You can say that again,” I said with a dry laugh.

“What about you? You’ve never struck me as the competitive battling type.”

I chuckled under my breath. “Definitely not.” Why had I wanted to become a trainer? I could only think of the reasons why I’d decided to become a rebel. But before that… before Team Rocket, before Entei… what were my goals then?

“I only wanted to go on a journey because everyone else was,” I said slowly as the memories came drifting back. “I hated being left behind. All my closest friends were older than me, except for Rudy. So they all left years ago.”

That was it, wasn’t it? That’s all I’d really wanted back then. To meet up with Ajia and Starr and travel around with them. The idea was almost laughable now. Like something out of a fantasy.

I took a deep breath, trying to clear my thoughts. The question of what to do next resurfaced in my mind, and I was again reminded that I had no idea what to do with myself.

“Did you read Stalker’s text?” I asked.

Darren nodded.

“Are you gonna join him?”

He paused to consider the question. “Nah. I think, after all this… I’d kind of like to actually go on that journey. It’s not as exciting as fighting Rockets, but I’ve kind of had enough excitement for a while, y’know?” He made eye contact with me. “What about you?”

After what happened last night? Half my brain was screaming to get out of the fight against Team Rocket and never look back. But what else was I supposed to do? What other options did I have at this point?

I could go home. Leave it all behind. Pretend I’d never met Stalker or joined his team. Pretend I didn’t know that Team Rocket was brainwashing Legendaries in preparation for a regional takeover. But would it really be safe to stay anywhere for extended periods of time from now on? Especially back in Viridian, the heart of the organization? No, no it wouldn’t. If anything, I’d just be a danger to everyone around me.

I couldn’t go home. I couldn’t stay in one spot. I had to keep moving. And I owed it to my Pokémon to continue training—especially the experiments. But where would I go? I couldn’t just wander without any sort of destination. Sure, trainers did that all the time, but I wasn’t a real trainer. I didn’t have much money either.

“I’m… not sure. I haven’t decided yet,” I said, more to myself than to him.

As if he knew what I was thinking, Darren said, “Well, regardless of what you choose, you’re still missing a license, aren’t you? You should probably fix that before anything else.”

If I’d been capable of it, I’d have laughed out loud. “I failed the exam.”

Darren smirked. “You don’t think you’d fail it now, do you?”

I was all set with my usual retort that I’d failed it twice and was never going to get any better… and then I realized how colossally stupid that sounded. I had been training Pokémon for four months under the guidance of an actual master trainer. I barely knew anything about Pokémon when I started, and now?

“I… I guess I wouldn’t,” I said slowly as the implications of that sunk into my head. I could become a trainer. A real trainer. I could actually earn money by doing officially sanctioned battles. I could travel around and stay at any Pokécenter I wanted and not have to worry about getting sent home and having my Pokémon taken. I could head to Johto where the Kanto Rockets were less likely to find me. I could meet up with the Johto Resistance and get their protection.

This fixed everything.

“I’m going to be a real trainer,” I said suddenly, sitting bolt-upright with my eyes wide. “Where’s the closest League office? Probably not here—Saffron, maybe?”

Darren stared at me incredulously. “I honestly wasn’t expecting that kinda one-eighty.”

“Yeah, well, I needed something like this. Makes everything feel less hopeless,” I said, letting out a breath before standing to my feet in a surprisingly smooth motion. Then a thought hit me and I said, “Hey, can I steal another Pokéball off of you?”

“Another one?” Darren asked, raising an eyebrow.

I put a hand to my forehead. “Yeah, uh… the experiments are gonna stick with me.”

“Ha. Called it,” he said, looking rather pleased with himself as he fished through his bag. Sneasel reached in with her claws to ‘help,’ but Darren pulled the bag away from the dark-type before she could tear more holes in it and then retrieved a red and white sphere from inside.

“You owe me,” he said, giving me a wry grin as he handed it over.

“I’ll pay you back after I get my license.”

“Deal.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Much as I would have liked to, I couldn’t go get my license right away. That would have involved taking a trip to Saffron, where the closest League office was located. And while I could probably have made it there and back in the same day, I didn’t exactly want to leave Lavender without Chibi, even if it was only for an afternoon. Plus, it was probably best if Darren and I waited for Rudy to come around before making too many plans.

That said, it seemed risky for any of us to stick around the Pokécenter for too long. Stalker might’ve drawn the Rockets off last night, but any center near Midnight Island was an obvious target if the Rockets decided it was better to finish off the rest of us. Hell, the only reason they hadn’t already was probably because of all the cops around. Not that I felt too great about the cops either. I didn’t really want to risk getting questioned about the Rebellion and revealing that I was an illegal trainer with connections to Rockets. Not to mention the fact that three of my Pokémon were genetic experiments. I could end up losing them.

So I returned to the trainer’s dorm, introduced Aros to his new Pokéball, and took stock of everything I owned in preparation for leaving town, whenever that would be. Turns out, I didn’t have much. I’d pretty much only grabbed my bag and my Pokéballs when I’d fled the stadium. That left me with nothing more than a single spare T-shirt and a Rocket uniform. Well… that and the strange metallic orb I’d found in the ruins. I couldn’t even remember putting it in the bag to begin with, but apparently it had wound up there at some point.

I also still had my R-com. I’d reread Stalker’s final message to the Rebellion about a dozen times. I’d even sent him a response asking where he was in Johto. But I hadn’t received a reply yet. Which was fine—I still hadn’t decided if I was even going to join the Johto Resistance. And there would be plenty of time to decide after I became a Pokémon trainer.

I showered and changed into my spare t-shirt and black Rocket pants. I looked like a dork, but it was better than what I was wearing before. There’d be time to grab a cheap outfit or two from a thrift shop or something. I was sitting on the bed, toweling off my wet hair when a flicker of yellow in my peripheral vision caught my eye.

My heart skipped a beat. It was Chibi.

The Pikachu was seated on the windowsill, looking every bit as disheveled as last night, with fur and feathers sticking out at awkward angles and most of his body covered in scrapes and bruises. His face still bore the bloodstains of when it happened, only now the marks were smudged and matted where the fur had been soaked with tears.

I swallowed hard and said, “You’re back.”

He gazed up at me distantly, eyes bloodshot and half-lidded. I had to force my expression to remain neutral when the sight of him felt like being stabbed in the heart.

“I… I was worried about you,” I said quietly, unsure of whether or not I should have said so.

The hybrid glanced away, staring at the floor with no change in expression.

My voice shook as I went on, “I know you probably want to be alone right now, but… I just… want to make sure you know I’m here for you? If you want me to be.”

Without saying a word, he hopped down from the window and crossed the dormitory on all fours. I held my breath as he walked past me, but he didn’t even glance in my direction. He just hopped up onto the wooden table by the door and tapped the button on his Pokéball, dissolving himself into it.

I let out a deep breath. Yeah, that’d gone about as well as I’d expected. Aros had said to give the hybrid some space… well that’s what was going to happen, whether I liked it or not. I couldn’t even begin to imagine how much he was suffering. At least now that he was back in his Pokéball, I could have one of the center’s staff heal him. The crushing realization hit me that I honestly didn’t even know how badly he was injured. He could have had broken ribs for all I knew. He wouldn’t have let it show, either way.

A faint, lightheaded feeling had suddenly overtaken me. Like I’d been running on overdrive ever since last night but somehow hadn’t noticed until the stress of seeing Chibi again. Maybe it had something to do with the fact that my appetite had suddenly decided to appear out of nowhere, making me painfully aware of just how ravenous I was.

I guess that answered the question of where I was headed first.

Lavender Town only had one trainer’s cafe, and it was tiny. Given Aros and Stygian’s size, we had to eat at one of the outdoor tables, which was less than ideal given the cold wind blowing in from the sea. Everyone argued over who got to sit next to Firestorm, we talked about our upcoming trip to Johto, and for a little while it actually felt like things were normal.

I kept Chibi inside his ball. I wasn’t ready to talk to him yet, and he almost definitely wouldn’t want to come out anyway.

After eating, the walk back from the cafe was considerably less miserable than the walk to it had been. That kind of bothered me. I wasn’t allowed to be feeling kind of alright. Not after what had happened last night. Not after what Rudy was going through. Not after what Chibi was going through. There was no such thing as normal anymore, but it was like all the pain and despair had just melted into background noise that I could barely sense anymore. It was just the way things were. This was life now.

I was lost in thought as I walked down the streets of Lavender Town, not paying attention to anything in particular. Which meant I was completely unprepared for the hand that reached out of nowhere, grabbed hold of my shirt, and dragged me into the nearby alley.

“What the hell?!” I cried, whirling around to face my attacker and—I froze up instantly. It was Astrid. Again. Why was it always her?! What was she doing here?! While I was frozen, she pushed me up against the wall of the nearest building, pinning me completely. Every inch of me wanted to scream, but my voice caught in my throat. I couldn’t move, I couldn’t fight back, I couldn’t do anything. Why not?!

“Quit shaking. I’m not here to kill you,” she muttered.

She wasn’t? But then… that could only mean… My insides melted away just thinking about her Raichu. Not that. Not again.

“Where is your leader?” Astrid demanded.

“H—he’s in Johto!”

Where in Johto?!”

“I don’t know, I swear I don’t know, he didn’t tell us anything, I’m not lying I swear!” I said all in one breath.

Her eyes bored into mine, looking almost… desperate? Now that I was paying attention, I could see the exhaustion covering her face and the dark circles under her eyes. Seconds passed with neither of us making a move. My heart thundered in my chest and sweat dripped down my face and every inch of me hoped and prayed that she’d somehow, miraculously be satisfied with my answer.

After what felt like an eternity, Astrid released her hold on my collar, pushing me away. “Lucky for you I can tell you’re not lying,” she said with a scowl. “If your leader’s really abandoned you, then you’re useless to me now. Your team’s finished. You’re powerless. You’re no threat to Team Rocket on your own. So I suggest you take advantage of my generosity and get the hell out of here.”

I stared at her stupidly, unable to process what had just happened. “What? You’re letting me go?”

She didn’t say anything. She just turned and strode off down the alley with the same intensity she’d approached me with.

What? Why was she doing this? And worse, why did I feel like I should know why?

“W-what kind of game are you trying to pull?” I called after her, my voice shaking. This had to be some kind of trick. It had to be. “Even if I’m not a threat, there’s no way you’d ever just let me go.”

Astrid froze mid-step. With her back to me, she said, “You’re not worth the time it’d take to kill you. It’d be a wasted effort.”

I stared incredulously. “That doesn’t… I know what you’re like. You’ve always enjoyed making me suffer.”

She whirled around, her face lit with fury. “You don’t know a damn thing about me,” she spat, sounding almost offended by my words. She then turned to leave once more.

Nothing about this made any sense. Astrid had always targeted me, right from the start. I’d always thought she had a grudge against me ever since the plane incident—which had only gotten worse with each time I escaped. But the kind of grudge that would lead her to target me without killing me? Because if she was really as dangerous as she acted, then there was no way I should have lived through all my encounters with her.

Unless it really was all an act. Which would make this just another link in a long chain of slip-ups and character breaks that I’d never pieced together before. The exaggerated threats that somehow never led anywhere. The total lack of enjoyment during the interrogation. The pain in her eyes during the raid last night. Too many unexplainable things.

Without thinking, I blurted out, “You—you actually don’t want me dead.”

Astrid spun to face me again, eyes narrowed. “Figured out that much, have you?”

My pulse quickened. I was actually right?

“I just don’t know why,” I went on slowly.

She squinted at me like I’d just said the dumbest thing she’d ever heard. “God, I’m lucky you’re such an idiot.”

A horribly unnerving feeling swept over me. After all the times she’d given me the usual death glare or arrogant smirk, seeing this kind of expression from her felt really weird. There was almost something… familiar about it. The image felt ancient in memory, much older than any of my run-ins with Team Rocket. I was suddenly years younger, with her making that exact face and telling me how stupid I was being. How did I have this memory of her looking at me like that from way before I’d even met her?

Because I’d seen that face before, five years ago.

It hit me like a ton of bricks to the face. Five years. Five years—had it really been that long? Long enough that I’d forgotten what she looked like. How was I even capable of forgetting something like that? But there was no other explanation. It had to be her. That would make her seventeen now? Old enough to be an executive. How did I go this long without realizing?

My mind was racing. Too many thoughts to process all at one—it felt like my head was going to burst. It all made sense now. Everything fit.

Astrid was still looking at me like I was a moron. “Are you even listening to me? What else do I have to do to make you go away??”

“Oh god, it really is you, Starr.”

Astrid froze, like the words were a slap to the face. She stared at me in horror, swearing under her breath.

Five years ago, my best friend had suddenly moved away from Viridian with no explanation whatsoever. Now, she was back in my life again, in the form of the person who’d been haunting my nightmares.

Her expression hardened. “So… what are you going to do now, Jade?”

She wasn’t denying it? Some part of me had still hoped, desperately, irrationally, that I was wrong. But I wasn’t. All this time my worst enemy was actually my childhood best friend. The same person I’d been devastated to lose years ago was the one who’d stalked, terrorized, and outright tortured me now. I stared at her, feeling a horrible chill run down my spine. This couldn’t be real. It had to be some sick joke.

Starr frowned. “You look upset. How do you think I felt when I found out you were involved with that damn rebel team? It was bad enough that Ajia’s involved in rebel matters, but now you too? Do you think I wanted this?”

“I just… I don’t understand… how did you turn into this? What happened after you left?”

“Wouldn’t you like to know,” she said darkly. “My past is my business, and you’d do well to stay out of it.”

I bristled. “Am I just supposed to forget that my old best friend is part of an organization that wants me dead?”

Yes, you are. Damn it Jade, I knew you’d react like this. The fact that we were friends five years ago shouldn’t matter anymore. Things are different now.”

“‘Things are different now’?!” I shouted, my blood starting to boil. “Does that make it okay to be a Rocket? Is that your excuse for everything you’ve done?” I was seething, fists clenched, heart pounding.

“Jade, my situation is a lot more complicated than you’re making it out to be—”

“I don’t care! How could you do all of those things to me?!”

“Damn it Jade, do you have any idea how hard I’ve worked to keep you alive the past few months?!” she shouted. “I knew who you were from the start, and I had to keep every other Rocket from figuring that out! Every damn time you snuck into the base or sabotaged our missions, I had to make sure I found you before anyone else, otherwise you’d have been shot and killed in a second.

“As for that night in the detention cell…” she went on, her voice breaking. “Did it never occur to you that I tortured you because that was the only alternative to killing you that wouldn’t look totally suspicious? Do you think I enjoyed that? I had to make damn sure that I was convincing. And guess what—if I lost my position, I wouldn’t have been able to keep my subordinates from killing you the second I was done interrogating you. You know they all wanted you dead! And if it weren’t for me, you would have been.”

I stared at her, lost for words. “I don’t… I didn’t think—”

“Tch. That much is obvious. Now, look. We are going to forget that any of this ever happened. I don’t even care if you keep doing your rebel crap, just do it somewhere far away from me, got it?”

“Well you’re quite the loyal Rocket,” I muttered as she was about to walk off.

Starr spun around furiously. “Yes. I am a loyal Rocket. And you’d do well to remember that. So stop trying to question my loyalties, got it?! We’re done here!!”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Astrid was Starr.

That single, unavoidable fact burned in my thoughts for the rest of the day as I wandered aimlessly down the docks south of town, staring blankly out to sea, occasionally catching glimpses of Midnight Island through the fog.

My old best friend had tortured me. That thought wouldn’t stop echoing in my mind either. Even though we weren’t friends anymore and hadn’t been for years. She should’ve been no different than any other Rocket who’d tried to kill me.

Except she was different. We had been friends. Didn’t that mean anything to her? What had caused her to change so much? What had happened in the last five years? Why did she even join Team Rocket to begin with?

I shook my head. Would knowing really change anything? This was the new Starr. So what if we’d been friends as kids? Those kids were long gone—both of us were different people now. There was no reason for me to care about any of it. I was going to Johto in a few days, and I’d never see her again. An old friend I’d lost contact with years ago suddenly reappearing as a terrible person was really not my problem.

It wasn’t my problem. I didn’t care.

Yeah. Right.

It was so, so stupid, but I had to know, or else it was going to eat away at me forever. I had to talk to her again… get some answers. But the idea was… not exactly a comforting one. Try to talk to the person who’d imprisoned and tortured me? She’d spared my life this time. And apparently several other times. But there was no way I could trust that would always be the case. Her loyalties lay with Team Rocket now. I never wanted to be at her mercy again.

I was going to need backup. Someone who’d be able to defeat her if it came to a fight. Someone more logical than me, who could talk to her without losing their cool. Preferably someone who knew her and had a reason to care about the situation.

My eyes widened. I actually knew someone who fit that description perfectly.

~End Chapter 23~

Astrid is, and has always been, Starr. As unlikely as it may seem, every single terrible thing Astrid ever did was written through this lens, and I hope that a lot of her weird behavior makes sense now. The encounter in Chapter 15 is probably the only one that didn’t have a lot of foreshadowing in it, because there wasn’t a lot at stake, so she was able to really ham it up. With each subsequent encounter, however, the façade started to slip—rereading some of those scenes with this in mind should cause them to take on a whole new meaning. Several readers questioned why Astrid gave Jade that hour to rest during the interrogation… that hour was for herself.

Now then…I just have to know. Thoughts on this? Anyone notice anything strange with Astrid before the reveal? I absolutely require reactions. :P

~Chibi~

Last edited:

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
~Chapter 23 Extra: Heartless~

(Chronologically, this extra takes place right after the interrogation in Chapter 20. Do not read this extra until you have read Chapter 23.)
The ideal Rocket is heartless.

That’s what Astrid told herself as she made the long walk back from the detention cell to her personal quarters. Scattered grunts passed by her in the hallway. She ignored them. They wouldn’t speak to her unless spoken to. It was amazing how much control she had over their lives.

And yet she couldn’t control the one damn thing that mattered.

She couldn’t think about that now, though. Not where others could see her. Not where weakness wasn’t tolerated, and was something to be snuffed out, or at the very least buried so deep that no one could ever see it. No one. Not the rebel. Not the other executives who’d been watching her interrogation. Not the boss.

The ideal Rocket does not show weakness.

To those under her, she was the image of perfection. She never hesitated. Never failed. Never showed weakness. Just pure, ruthless precision. They didn’t know any better. They couldn’t see the scars she bore from past failure.

She arrived at her room. The door shut behind her, and she turned the lock with a faint click. Her boots hit the wall with a dull thud when she kicked them off. They were heavy boots. They gave her a commanding presence. It was always good for others to fear you before they’d even seen you. She’d always enjoyed that. Not right now, though. She didn’t feel intimidating right now. She felt small and helpless.

A flash of light and her Raichu appeared from his Pokéball on the bed next to her. She wasn’t sure why she’d let him out, she just knew she didn’t want to be alone right now.

Raichu glanced around, a bit surprised to see that they were back in their room. But then the mouse struck a pose, feeling rather pleased with himself. He’d done a good job, hadn’t he? That rebel was so scared! He was good at acting scary, right? His trainer didn’t respond. She just sat there, staring at the floor, shoulders trembling.

Something was wrong. Normally his trainer always praised him for a job well done. Was this because he hadn’t gotten the rebel to confess? They were going back in an hour, right? He’d definitely succeed then.

The electric mouse hopped closer to his trainer, nose twitching. She didn’t… seem upset with him. What was the problem, then?

“I don’t know what to do,” Astrid whispered.

Raichu cocked his head. “Raiichu’raai?”

Astrid glanced down at her Pokémon. His normally cheerful demeanor had given way to concern. She couldn’t look at him without seeing the fact that she’d used him to do those things.

The ideal Rocket follows orders.

She’d trained him well. His control over his lightning was unreal. He could always dish out the exact amount to cause the most pain without causing lasting damage or letting the target fall unconscious. And he had no reason to think there was anything different about this situation. It was just a game to him. Just another routine torturing of someone who was just an enemy, and whose feelings didn’t really matter.

“I’m not mad at you. You followed orders well.” Raichu perked up at bit at her words, and she gave him a reassuring pat.

I followed orders well,” she added with a bitter laugh.

That’s what all this was, right? Following orders. She was good at following orders. She was so good at it that in time she’d become the one giving the orders. But they’d never truly ceased. They just came from higher up now. From the administrators. From the boss.

If it was just following orders, then why did it hurt so much?

It used to hurt a lot more often. But that was because she was weak then. Inexperienced. Blind to the reality of the world. You couldn’t get through life without hurting others. Anyone who thought otherwise was a fool.

She’d volunteered to go down there, though. She didn’t have to be involved. It was a bit strange for a department head not to delegate something like that. The others were perfectly willing to do it. But if she’d let them, there was no telling what they’d do to the rebel.

So in some way… it must have mattered to her.

What the hell was Jade thinking, becoming a rebel? Why did Astrid have to go through this again? Wasn’t it bad enough that she’d already gone through this last year, with Ajia?

No… that was wrong… she hadn’t gone through this with Ajia. It had never gotten this bad. How had things gotten this bad? She’d thought she’d been able to put a stop to it in the Celadon base. Putting on a show of it. Something that would look good for the others while also scaring the shit out of Jade. And yet she just kept coming back. Why?

It was Jade’s own damn fault if she was so determined to keep getting herself into trouble. If she was too stupid to avoid getting herself killed, then that was her problem. Astrid had already saved her life twice now. Twice, she’d risked everything, and for what? Some stupid, meaningless connection that should have died years ago.

It didn’t mean anything, not anymore. The pain of some no-good rebel meant nothing to her. Neither did the sight of that rebel unconscious and bleeding in the forest…or the sight of her lying on the cell floor, writhing in agony.

Because that’s what she was good at. Causing pain.

Astrid clenched her teeth. The memories twisted into her like a knife no matter how much she told herself they didn’t matter. The screams echoed in her ears no matter how hard she willed them not to.

It was Jade’s fault. It couldn’t have been helped.

At some point she lost the will to keep sitting up and had collapsed sideways onto the bed. Raichu nuzzled her arm fervently, his cries tinged with alarm. She reached out and hugged the electric-type tightly as her tears soaked the pillow.

She was the ideal Rocket… wasn’t she?

Then why did it hurt so much?

Last edited:

Phoenixsong

you taste like fear
So I drafted notes for reviews of the last couple of chapters but hadn't got around to cleaning them up and posting them, and in the meantime people keep saying all the things that I'd intended to say and I'd rather not be redundant when it's all been articulated quite well already. That said, one thing I absolutely do not want to leave unsaid is that I love the way you've handled the action and drama in these past few chapters. Everything has been rocketing (haha) along at a breakneck pace, but it's never felt like you as the author were rushing or as though the story got sloppier for it. The story had rapidly dissolved into pain and numbness and chaos, and the way you paced things and the clipped, blunt tone of the description fit that so perfectly. Every time there was another sudden problem I could feel the whiplash as Jade was feeling it, and everytime she had to scramble from one thing to the next it just came across so clearly that she had no time to process everything that was falling to pieces around her. Everything just keeps happening so much, and every time everything happens I come away shaking my head in disbelief because you've conveyed that so, so well. I am deeply impressed—especially at how far this sort of thing has come from, say, the S.S. Anne chapter, which was definitely frenetic but this—and I'm looking forward to more of it. Just, y'know, hopefully not immediately. My heart can only take so much of this stress! (I did not need that Astrid scare right as everything finally seemed like it was settling down, damn it!)

I mean, all of your writing has improved by leaps and bounds since you started this, but this in particular just gets me every time. Very well done.

Also, re: the comic extra: Funnily enough, in my original notes for the scrapped Chapter 22 review (drafted before you posted said extra) I made this comment:

*bangs fist on table* I demand one-shots! Extras! More about Chibi and Razors becoming friends and having to go through horrible things together! It was extremely rude of you to post this emotionally draining chapter and that "I'm sorry" at the end of 21 is insufficient; I will only accept more emotionally upsetting fic by way of apology!

Well, you... you kind of... did that... sort of... you got that last part down solid, anyway?... uh... any chance we could still get what I originally asked for at some point? :,D *sniffle*

(Obviously you don't have to if you don't want! I'm just saying, if there's any adorable/heartbreaking backstory that won't fit in the main fic itself but that you still want to share, you've definitely got at least one person who'd be happy/heartbroken to read it!)

To meet up with Ajia and Starr and travel around with them.

Okay so even in the middle of all this chaos and emotional rollercoaster-riding I'm laughing so hard because I actually guessed that Astrid was Starr at this line here. I hadn't thought about Starr in ages*, and I'm normally kinda slow when it comes to foreshadowing so I didn't really notice anything "off" about Astrid's behavior in other chapters, but for some reason, when I saw Starr's name again, it hit me: "Wait... Starr... Astrid... those essentially mean the same... hmmmmmmm... ah, well, it'll probably be sometime in the next book before any confirmation or denial of that comes up, tra-la-la, back to our regularly scheduled programming~" And then just a few paragraphs later, whoops, haha, I was totally right. Like I said, I'm bad at foreshadowing, but hooray for etymology I guess? :p

* All right, I have thought about Starr recently because I re-read the prologue at some point a few weeks ago (while I was skimming the thread to double-check that I had in fact only replied/reviewed once D: ). Even so, the only thing that jumped out at me at the time was "heh, that's definitely a name a young author would pick for a character, yep, good times..." (sorry, no offense :( ) Then this happened, and, welp, all I can say is well played.

But anyway, this was a very cool plot point to have kept from the original versions of the fic! Glad it stuck around, and I'm excited to see how it plays out over time!

I was going to need backup. Someone who’d be able to defeat her if it came to a fight. Someone more logical than me, who could talk to her without losing their cool. Preferably someone who knew her and had a reason to care about the situation.

My eyes widened. I actually knew someone who fit that description perfectly.

Ajia? :D

Now, for this extra...

Raichu glanced around, a bit surprised to see that they were back in their room. But then the mouse struck a pose, feeling rather pleased with himself. He’d done a good job, hadn’t he? That rebel was so scared! He was good at acting scary, right? His trainer didn’t respond. She just sat there, staring at the floor, shoulders trembling.

Something was wrong. Normally his trainer always praised him for a job well done. Was this because he hadn’t gotten the rebel to confess? They were going back in an hour, right? He’d definitely succeed then.

This is both adorable and pretty uncomfortable. "An ideal Rocket is heartless", and so forth, but Astrid and Raichu definitely seem to have at least some kind of bond; he's worried that he's disappointed her, but there's also no tangible sense of "oh god oh god I've failed she's going to beat me to within an inch of my life" that you'd expect from a pokémon that was actually abused, but he's looking for praise and "planning to succeed next time" when it comes to torturing another person and ugh it's just so conflicting and I'm upset :(

Also, it's interesting that Astrid doesn't seem to understand pokéspeech. Surely she had the classes at the same school Jade went to, yeah? Again, you'd think a heartless Rocket wouldn't care enough about their pokémon to bother understanding what they're saying (although I guess having their opinions might be useful in some cases, even if you're not up for a chat), but again, Astrid doesn't seem to be that heartless when it comes to her pokémon. Hm.

Wasn’t it bad enough that she’d already gone through this last year, with Ajia?

wait what what what

Astrid's conflict in the extra is definitely stoking my excitement about where this whole mess is going to go, I can tell you that much. I can't say I feel bad for her at this point, 'cause, well, y'know, the torture, but hot damn this is gonna be one helluva ride.

Sorry it took me so long to get back to actually leaving a review, but man, I couldn't let those comments about the pacing sit any longer (or the laughing about figuring out the Astrid/Starr thing for all the wrong reasons). I eagerly await what happens next, and hopefully it won't take me ages to say something next time!

Last edited:

DreamSayer

Name's Adam.
When I saw the title of this story, the first thing that came to mind was ‘is this going to be a story about a guy going about capturing a whole bunch of legendary pokemon? I’m interested.’ However, what I got was the opposite of that- a guy joining a rebellion to stop Team Rocket from capturing a whole bunch of legendary pokemon. I’m not saying that I was disappointed; what I got was still just as exciting in the end.

I’ve so far red the prologue and the first chapter, but I can somewhat see where the story is going. I can already see Jade becoming a strong trainer in the future, that or he’d just be a very useful asset to the resistance, or he’ll remain a lackey for most of the time. I wonder which direction you took.

The prologue begins with a heartbreaking separation between friends. Starr promised to come back, but I don’t suppose she did and Jade ended up not becoming a trainer two years after he was supposed to. I feel bad for him, but he seems to be doing somewhat fine on his own.

I think it’s pretty obvious that the guy he met in the burnt forest was Lance. Jade should’ve told him that he failed his pokemon quiz, because he left him under the impression that he was going to become a trainer real soon. Perhaps I wasn’t pay as much attention as I should’ve and Jade is in fact becoming a trainer before the date on the card.

But before that, he’s going to have to escape Team Rocket now that he’s been spotted. No doubt, he’s going to become their target if they find out his identity or if they capture him. Well, his life was bound to change sooner or later anyway. By the way, how did a charmander end up there if they’re presumed to be rare?

You’ve apparently revised this story multiple times before, or at least that’s what you implied. I don’t know what it looked like before. However, it’s pretty impressive and engaging right now and I’ll be pleased to continue reading more of this story.

Sike Saner

Peace to the Mountain
Right, spoiler tag time.

[spoil]At some point or another during the previous chapters, the "what if Astrid's Starr" thought crossed my mind. It was probably the name that got me thinking that way, for the most part, although it's also possible that I was vaguely recalling something from the old thread that addressed that possibility. I can't say for sure. My memories of the previous thread... of a lot of old threads, really, are hazy af.

Either way, I actually didn't commit myself to that assumption for very long, if at all. In hindsight, I'm not sure why. Why'd I push that theory aside? It was a perfectly good theory, and hey, it turned out to be true!

But enough of me trying to make sense of my own thought processes. More about The Reveal itself. I think a good deal of its impact lies in hindsight--all those scenes with Astrid really do take on a new light now that I can say with confidence what her relations to Jade are. They hit harder, and considering they weren't flimsy to begin with... yeah. Gott dang.

The extra really cinched it though. Humanized the actual **** out of Astrid. Between that and the sadorable glimpse at her relationship with Raichu, I have a whole new appreciation for her as a character.

But I think the thing that hit me THE hardest was actually something in the A/N:

Several readers questioned why Astrid gave Jade that hour to rest during the interrogation… that hour was for herself.

I think I legit said "holy ****" aloud when I read that.[/spoil]

jirachiman876

The King of Kirby
So, I think I only remember this giant bombshell only now that it's been revealed again. Because i totally remember now that was a thing. And I remember thinking this when we first met Astrid. I also think it was revealed a different way too. Something wants me to say it was in a rocket base somewhere, but oh well.
Anyway, this was a great chapter. I super enjoyed this. From all the feels everywhere because feels... Now that Jade has a moment to think again about what's going on. it seems to be hitting her like a huge wave of everything. The revalation about Astrid did not help matters I feel. And I really hope Chibi is ok. I mean I'm sure he is but it's gonna be a rough one.
The little extra was awesome. We get to look into Astrid's mind on what she's doing to Jade and everything that's behind it. It seems like she's had some kind of brainwashing/Stockholm syndrome type of thing going on. It's like she's been the the Rocket's so long she's not who she used to be (obvs) but also not who she wants to be. She just wants to fit in and she has to do things she, on the inside, really doesn't want to do. And it's been portrayed very well with all her emotion and stuff. Anyway, I can't wait to see where this goes from here and who she gets to talk to Astrid. ( I have my theories but we'll see.)
jirachiman out ;385;

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
@Phoenixsong:

That said, one thing I absolutely do not want to leave unsaid is that I love the way you've handled the action and drama in these past few chapters. Everything has been rocketing (haha) along at a breakneck pace, but it's never felt like you as the author were rushing or as though the story got sloppier for it. The story had rapidly dissolved into pain and numbness and chaos, and the way you paced things and the clipped, blunt tone of the description fit that so perfectly. Every time there was another sudden problem I could feel the whiplash as Jade was feeling it, and everytime she had to scramble from one thing to the next it just came across so clearly that she had no time to process everything that was falling to pieces around her. Everything just keeps happening so much, and every time everything happens I come away shaking my head in disbelief because you've conveyed that so, so well. I am deeply impressed—especially at how far this sort of thing has come from, say, the S.S. Anne chapter, which was definitely frenetic but this—and I'm looking forward to more of it. Just, y'know, hopefully not immediately. My heart can only take so much of this stress! (I did not need that Astrid scare right as everything finally seemed like it was settling down, damn it!)
Aaaaaaaa thank you so much! I'm just so overjoyed that everyone's reacted so favorably to the Explorers of Pain and Suffering arc, because I knew that it could either make or break the fic. It has been such an incredible challenge figuring out how to accurately portray all these emotions. I'm also really glad it hasn't gotten stale, because it was really weird outlining rest of Book 1 and "discovering" just how much bad stuff happened in the old thread. It's like I never noticed it because it never properly addressed how those things affected Jade, but now that I have been focusing on that, it's like "wow... there are no brakes on the pain train, are there?" As a result, I've actually added heartwarming moments in the climax compared to the old thread, because it just plain needed it that badly.

*bangs fist on table* I demand one-shots! Extras! More about Chibi and Razors becoming friends and having to go through horrible things together! It was extremely rude of you to post this emotionally draining chapter and that "I'm sorry" at the end of 21 is insufficient; I will only accept more emotionally upsetting fic by way of apology!
Oh I would absolutely love doing more extras about them! (And Aros and Stygian too.) I'll be taking a short hiatus at the end of Book 1, so maybe then!

Okay so even in the middle of all this chaos and emotional rollercoaster-riding I'm laughing so hard because I actually guessed that Astrid was Starr at this line here. I hadn't thought about Starr in ages*, and I'm normally kinda slow when it comes to foreshadowing so I didn't really notice anything "off" about Astrid's behavior in other chapters, but for some reason, when I saw Starr's name again, it hit me: "Wait... Starr... Astrid... those essentially mean the same... hmmmmmmm... ah, well, it'll probably be sometime in the next book before any confirmation or denial of that comes up, tra-la-la, back to our regularly scheduled programming~" And then just a few paragraphs later, whoops, haha, I was totally right. Like I said, I'm bad at foreshadowing, but hooray for etymology I guess? :p
LMAO WOW. That is hilarious. I actually did add that line just so this wouldn't be the first time her name has even been mentioned since the Prologue. But the bit that I was expecting to be the most suspicious was that part in Chapter 22 where Astrid was momentarily frozen in horror upon seeing how terrified Jade was of her. (I literally added that line because no one had figured it out yet.)

Don't think I've forgotten how much everyone loved her in the old thread. ;)

This is both adorable and pretty uncomfortable. "An ideal Rocket is heartless", and so forth, but Astrid and Raichu definitely seem to have at least some kind of bond; he's worried that he's disappointed her, but there's also no tangible sense of "oh god oh god I've failed she's going to beat me to within an inch of my life" that you'd expect from a pokémon that was actually abused, but he's looking for praise and "planning to succeed next time" when it comes to torturing another person and ugh it's just so conflicting and I'm upset :(
Yessssss, so glad you pointed that out. That was important--Astrid is not abusive. Buuuut, Raichu is naive as hell and has been solidly raised on the philosophy of "enemies of Team Rocket don't matter" which Astrid has also attempted to program into herself in order to not be affected by the things she's done.

Also, it's interesting that Astrid doesn't seem to understand pokéspeech. Surely she had the classes at the same school Jade went to, yeah? Again, you'd think a heartless Rocket wouldn't care enough about their pokémon to bother understanding what they're saying (although I guess having their opinions might be useful in some cases, even if you're not up for a chat), but again, Astrid doesn't seem to be that heartless when it comes to her pokémon. Hm.
This is something I went back and forth on a lot. While almost everyone knows enough Pokéspeech to get the general gist of what their Pokémon are saying, not everyone is fluent enough to have complex discussions. Thus far, the characters who are fluent are Jade, Ajia, Stalker, and maybe Darren (as well as probably about half the Rebellion kids).

wait what what what
What? :)

Astrid's conflict in the extra is definitely stoking my excitement about where this whole mess is going to go, I can tell you that much. I can't say I feel bad for her at this point, 'cause, well, y'know, the torture, but hot damn this is gonna be one helluva ride.
Oh absolutely, it's gonna take quite a bit to make her sympathetic after that (Jade would certainly agree). But a lot can happen in the next few chapters...

@DreamSayer:

When I saw the title of this story, the first thing that came to mind was ‘is this going to be a story about a guy going about capturing a whole bunch of legendary pokemon? I’m interested.’ However, what I got was the opposite of that- a guy joining a rebellion to stop Team Rocket from capturing a whole bunch of legendary pokemon. I’m not saying that I was disappointed; what I got was still just as exciting in the end.
Ahahaha, well if you DO want a story about a guy catching all the Legendaries, The Quest for the Legends is literally about that.

I’ve so far red the prologue and the first chapter, but I can somewhat see where the story is going. I can already see Jade becoming a strong trainer in the future, that or he’d just be a very useful asset to the resistance, or he’ll remain a lackey for most of the time. I wonder which direction you took.
Lackey for a while, although the point I'm currently at in the fic is pushing Jade to take action more often, so you can look forward to that!

I think it’s pretty obvious that the guy he met in the burnt forest was Lance. Jade should’ve told him that he failed his pokemon quiz, because he left him under the impression that he was going to become a trainer real soon. Perhaps I wasn’t pay as much attention as I should’ve and Jade is in fact becoming a trainer before the date on the card.
This is what that guy looks like, so make your own call from there...

But before that, he’s going to have to escape Team Rocket now that he’s been spotted. No doubt, he’s going to become their target if they find out his identity or if they capture him. Well, his life was bound to change sooner or later anyway. By the way, how did a charmander end up there if they’re presumed to be rare?
Interesting story about how the Charmander got there, actually...

You’ve apparently revised this story multiple times before, or at least that’s what you implied. I don’t know what it looked like before. However, it’s pretty impressive and engaging right now and I’ll be pleased to continue reading more of this story.
Awesome. :D There's a whooooole lot of action in store, so I hope you'll continue to enjoy it!

@Sike Saner:

At some point or another during the previous chapters, the "what if Astrid's Starr" thought crossed my mind. It was probably the name that got me thinking that way, for the most part, although it's also possible that I was vaguely recalling something from the old thread that addressed that possibility. I can't say for sure. My memories of the previous thread... of a lot of old threads, really, are hazy af.
:) :) :)

...What if I told you that you totally saw it coming in the old thread?

(HOLY CRAP WAS THAT SERIOUSLY TWELVE YEARS AGO WTF.)

But enough of me trying to make sense of my own thought processes. More about The Reveal itself. I think a good deal of its impact lies in hindsight--all those scenes with Astrid really do take on a new light now that I can say with confidence what her relations to Jade are. They hit harder, and considering they weren't flimsy to begin with... yeah. Gott dang.

The extra really cinched it though. Humanized the actual **** out of Astrid. Between that and the sadorable glimpse at her relationship with Raichu, I have a whole new appreciation for her as a character.
I'm super glad to hear that. And now you all see why Starr is my second favorite character. :) She could win a gold medal in denial, self-justification, and rationalizing away terrible things while also taking out her anger on others so she can avoid thinking about how much she hates herself and everything she does.

@jirachiman876:

So, I think I only remember this giant bombshell only now that it's been revealed again. Because i totally remember now that was a thing. And I remember thinking this when we first met Astrid. I also think it was revealed a different way too. Something wants me to say it was in a rocket base somewhere, but oh well.
You are correct! I'm actually planning to post a retrospective on what the reveal looked like in every single revision prior to this one.

And I really hope Chibi is ok. I mean I'm sure he is but it's gonna be a rough one.
Yeah, he's gonna be avoiding everyone for a while... :(

The little extra was awesome. We get to look into Astrid's mind on what she's doing to Jade and everything that's behind it. It seems like she's had some kind of brainwashing/Stockholm syndrome type of thing going on. It's like she's been the the Rocket's so long she's not who she used to be (obvs) but also not who she wants to be. She just wants to fit in and she has to do things she, on the inside, really doesn't want to do.
Not quite Stockholm, but there is deeeefinitely some emotional abuse going on there, as we'll see in the next few chapters...

Thank you so much for the responses, everyone! Again, I'm so glad everyone enjoyed this arc (even if it was full of Pain and Suffering). The next arc is one of my favorites (and Chapter 25 is straight-up my favorite chapter in Book 1, and my second-favorite in the entire fic). I can't wait to show what happens next, so until next time~

~Chibi~;249;;448;

Last edited:

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
You know, I was all set to talk about how quiet this chapter was (in a good way) until I hit the second half and then the extra, but yanno what? Eff it. Let's talk about that first.

Because that was a much needed breather. Like, after the balls-to-the-wall shenanigans that comprised all of chapter 22, Jade needed some downtime. She needed some contemplation. She needed a moment to feel a teeny bit sorry for herself but then to gather her wits and say to her pokémon and the experiments, "Well. That was a thing."

But more importantly, her reaction is such a fascinating contrast to the way she acted immediately after the torture chapter. I couldn't help but notice a subtle parallel between her time shutting herself away from the others and Rudy's reaction to Wartortle's death (the private room and the failure to come out of it, I mean). It's interesting to see her on the other side of the door this time around, not only because we get to see how the rest of the team handles that (worried, even though they're also distant because, yanno, they all have their own traumas to deal with) but also because we see how much more "experience" Jade has compared to them, to put it tastelessly. Like ... she's already been through a personal hell of her own, whereas the others might not have, so of course she can get up in the morning, go out, and maybe even bounce back at the first sign of hope. At the same time, it feels a little heartbreaking too because it also puts Jade—with all her emotional and physical scars—in sharp contrast to the relative newness of the others (despite the fact that I'm talking about a group of mostly experienced trainers), and it's hard not to notice that what we're looking at here is chapter 21 times by, like, thirty. All those individual little stories of near-collapse, only there's an untold number of them, and they're all just floating around Jade until they can figure out what to do with themselves too.

On a lighter note, I also couldn't help but notice this:

I didn’t look fourteen anymore. And not just because I was turning fifteen in two weeks. There was something else. It felt like I’d lived three years in the past three months, and that fact was plastered all over my face, even though I couldn’t really describe why.

Or perhaps more than that, Jade? :V *shot!*

Nah, but forreal, I just had to pull out that line for all the reasons outlined above. Like ... that's why I love the first half of this chapter in a nutshell: because now that the plot's letting us wind down and take a breath, we can see exactly how far Jade's come, and holy frick, it's far. This ain't the shy little girl who stumbled across a charmander one day. This is a war-beaten veteran who at the moment she thinks this has no idea what to do with herself. Which, of course, means the part where she decides to be a trainer all the better because it's like, yaaaaas, Jade. Go find your purpose. (Even though I know we're nowhere near the end of this fic, so therefore, that happy ain't lasting, lmao.)

But then? Then! The reveal!

aaaaaaaaaaaa sifowefjjlwgph;ae;j;d

Truth be told, I did not see that coming, so I am delighted by it. Delighted in the sense of "wow, this makes that one chapter even more painful and I approve." And the extra, with all its moral conflicts and the repetition of "The ideal Rocket" and fffff.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I like it when fics throw me for a loop. I don't think I'm easily surprised when it comes to fanfic (because, well, when you read it long enough, amirite?), but this ... this. I knew Astrid was always going to be a central character to Jade—I mean, why else would she crop up that often?—but this was a surprise.

But more importantly, it's going to be fascinating to watch the aftermath of this revelation play out. I can't say too much about what you've told me in private, but I now have guesses, especially since you left Jade off with an idea and a plan and perhaps someone to drag down from Mt. Silver. (I'm kidding. He's probably not on Mt. Silver. But if he is, I'm adding "Mt. Silver is where platonic life partners go to dodge responsibilities" to my headcanons about Johto.)

In short, this was fun, but I get the feeling things are going to be even more fun from here on out. I mean, who doesn't love plots in which characters try to get their friends to defect from evil organizations?

Negrek

Lost but Seeking
Nice chapter for moving Jade on from the crazy action of the next chapter to... what's probably going to be crazy action in the upcoming ones, but hey, at least she got to kick back and have lunch before TR caught up with her. And you're right, Jade definitely responds differently here than she did after the torture chapter. It's refreshing to see her considering the different ways she can take action rather than wallowing or feeling inadequate. Not that you can blame her for those things, but this is definitely a positive change for her.

I'm of two minds about the plot twist with Astrid being Starr. It's a nice way to provide motivation for Jade to continue to be invested in Team Rocket, although probably the fate of the legendaries, especially Mewtwo, would have been enough to keep her on the hook. If Astrid's going to be a more major player in latter chapters, then I imagine there's an interesting arc to be had as Jade struggles to understand what happened with her and come to terms with what her friend's doing now and Astrid tries to reconcile her relationship with Team Rocket and people she still cares about.

On the other hand, it's kind of out of left field and feels a little unnecessary to me. This isn't really a twist that's foreshadowed by much--about the only connection that hints at Astrid's former identity is her name, and the fact that she's curiously bad at actually killing Jade is the only suspect thing about her. It's been five years since these two saw each other, too, and while puberty changes a lot about a person, it seems a little weird to me that Jade never noticed something was nigglingly familiar about Astrid earlier in the story. Even if Astrid looks absolutely, totally different than her twelve-year-old self, there are a lot of factors that I think would at least register on a subconscious level, like mannerisms or verbal tics or even just the way the person moves. I think a little more signposting for the upcoming twist, with Jade noticing something off about Astrid, even if vague, would establish a little more of a mystery that readers will be interested in seeing an answer to, rather than a kind of "huh, that's a surprise" moment. Jade's orb is an example of a more interesting twist-to-come, I think; it's been established as something that will be important later, and there's enough information for readers to form theories about it and get invested in seeing an eventual answer to what it does and what role it will play in the plot. They'll either get to be satisfied that they guessed correctly or get to see how you subverted their expectations, and either way they'll have some emotional reaction to finally having an answer, if only a small one. The question of Stalker's identity is similar. On the other hand, I don't think there's similar interest in the question "what's up with Astrid/but who is Astrid, really"--I don't think too many people were wondering about those things.

There's also the fact that although Starr was Jade's childhood best friend, we as readers never saw her outside a handful of lines in the prologue. We aren't especially invested in the relationship between these two characters, and there isn't even much indication of what that relationship is. I don't even think Jade thought about Starr once between the prologue and thischapter. So while this revelation is huge for Jade, it's kind of hard for a reader to appreciate what this really means for her; up to this point in the text the fact that Jade had a best friend who moved away five years ago hasn't mattered and could be nixed without changing anything. On the other hand, if we'd seen more of their relationship, then we'd be feeling the shock and betrayal right along with Jade. This would be someone we as readers actually felt like we knew who'd somehow ended up a commander in Team Rocket and actually torturing Jade! It would have been a lot more viscerally shocking, rather than intellectually interesting. Which is still interesting, but doesn't have the impact it could with a bit more development.

So overall this twist feels like a bit of a wasted opportunity to me, although there's really nothing you could do to capitalize on it without restructuring a fair amount of earlier material. Maybe something to keep in mind with how you develop future twists, though.

Overall, though, this chapter sets things up to go interesting places in the future. I'm particularly interested in seeing what happens to Rudy now; I've really enjoyed where you've taken his character arc, and he's only gotten more interesting in recent chapters. How is he going to be able to go back to training now? (Is he going to be able to go back to training now?) What is he going to do differently? Liked the little call-out to the griseous orb, too, though I'm guessing we won't be seeing that particular plot thread moving along for a while yet.

Of course, it sounds like there's more action to come, which I'm definitely excited to see. Especially if it involves Mewtwo! I've really enjoyed your handling of him in this story, so I'll eagerly await his return in a couple chapters.

DreamSayer

Name's Adam.
Review for Chapter 2-7
So, I picked up the story from where I left off last time. It was really tense seeing Jade running away from the rockets that were chasing her in her in that jeep. I expected her to escape, but she got caught and taken away to an underground hideout. Things only started to get really tense from that point onward, and I could feel it!

At least they were kind enough to give her the choice to be allowed to let go if she provided them with useful information. That was probably nothing but a lie. And I can’t believe how they just straight up stole all her saved up money and shoved the dying Charmander into a pile without treating its wounds first.

The way you described the cargo area. You even added in nifty details like the clanging sounds one would typically hear in such a place too. And Jade’s thoughts when she was being held up were quite interesting to read. I especially loved her reaction when Spencer and Rudy showed up.

I like both Rudy and Spencer by the way. I hope there will be more of them in later chapters. Jade and Rudy do have an interesting dynamic given how they’re somewhat similar. Though, Rudy ended up getting his trainer license before she did. It was interesting to see a story where the mc wasn’t even a legit trainer. It was refreshing for once.

When Tyson showed up, that was when things began to get very interesting. He may not have been a grunt, but he sure as well was quite the cocky arrogant ******* kind of a character. His team was also not too shabby, being hybrids and all. I wonder why they didn’t just make a hybrid scizor instead of a scythe though.

Speaking of hybrids, things went really crazy when Chibi was freed from his pokeball. Dude just went around shooting bolts of lightning in random directions without showing any regard for who or what it hit. From now on, I’m going to call it ‘Super Saiyan Rodent’ or SSR from short.

There was also the part where they were stealing all those tms they found. Jade should’ve taken more though and become rich by selling them all. It was also funny how Firestorm’s fire blast went haywire while all that commotion was going on. It was really crazy! But not crazy as Chibi practically trying to blow up the plane and make them all crash to their deaths.

The battle scenes were very well executed and I have a hunch that you choreographed them to an extent before writing them down. It was nice seeing Spencer’s coordination with his pokemon, Super Saiyan Rodent going wild. Even Tyson and his pokemon were entertaining to read. I must say, I’m gonna need to take a note or two from your battle writing methods.

And the battles only got even more exciting when the executive showed up after Tyson tried to set them up for failure. Sneaky dude. Didn’t expect Team Rocket members to be that smart tbh. Maybe I’m too used to their game depictions.

Things only began to go real crazy when The Executive showed up. I liked how Tyson was lowkey jealous that she became an executive even though he’s been in the organization longer than her. It makes me wonder if you were fore shadowing a huge fallout between the two. But that seems unlikely and its pretty hard to say as at the time of writing this.

I was also not expecting Ajia to just drop in like that out of nowhere. It was almost cliché, but It wasn’t that big a deal. We finally got to see her since the prologue and she’s very likable. I wonder if she’s already a part of the revolt that Jade’s joining. Whatever the case may be, she does have a history in fighting team rocket. Maybe she could give Jade some tips.

I am not yet done with the SS Anne arc, but I’m enjoying it so far. I’m still crossing my fingers that ‘Stalker’ is just Lance in disguise. I also like the relationship between Chibi and Jade. His bluntness and her self-doubts are played really smoothly. Little guy never fails to just state things as they are. It must’ve been rough for him after being in Rocket custody for most of his life.

I admire the fact that you thoroughly researched the interiors of cruise ships when you rewrote the arc. You really helped me to paint a better mental image of their surroundings inside the ship. And boy! I could feel the tension when she was gathering all those bombs to dispose of them. Even worse was when they activated the remote timer. That was just… wow!

Where I stopped, Jade is super exhausted and her consciousness is hanging on a thread, Chibi has fallen into the clutches of the bad guys (Temporarily I hope) and Firestorm has evolved! Honestly, this was the first time I saw a pokemon evolve in a story, so it was definitely great seeing it happen. I really enjoy this story an awful lot! It’s definitely worthy of praise and I can’t wait to read the remaining chapters.

Keep writing, Chibs. Never stop!

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
@JX Valentine

So first of all can I just say how badly I squeed when I first read your review? :D

But more importantly, her reaction is such a fascinating contrast to the way she acted immediately after the torture chapter. I couldn't help but notice a subtle parallel between her time shutting herself away from the others and Rudy's reaction to Wartortle's death (the private room and the failure to come out of it, I mean). It's interesting to see her on the other side of the door this time around, not only because we get to see how the rest of the team handles that (worried, even though they're also distant because, yanno, they all have their own traumas to deal with) but also because we see how much more "experience" Jade has compared to them, to put it tastelessly
Yesssss, I am so glad that this came across strongly, because this was one of the hardest things about this chapter. I knew for a fact that I didn't want it to be a rehash of 21, but figuring out exactly how to do that, while also keeping it believable, was incredibly challenging.

Truth be told, I did not see that coming, so I am delighted by it. Delighted in the sense of "wow, this makes that one chapter even more painful and I approve." And the extra, with all its moral conflicts and the repetition of "The ideal Rocket" and fffff.
I am… absolutely overjoyed to hear that. ^^ That was the one thing I was hoping most about the reveal--that it would make the previous encounters between Jade and Astrid all the more painful. That's the main reason I had to post the extra right away. Astrid is such a delightfully flawed person and I love writing her, and I'm so glad that her moral quandary came across well.

But more importantly, it's going to be fascinating to watch the aftermath of this revelation play out. I can't say too much about what you've told me in private, but I now have guesses, especially since you left Jade off with an idea and a plan and perhaps someone to drag down from Mt. Silver. (I'm kidding. He's probably not on Mt. Silver. But if he is, I'm adding "Mt. Silver is where platonic life partners go to dodge responsibilities" to my headcanons about Johto.)
Like I already told you over PM, Stalker will be out of the picture for a while, but on the plus side, this means you’ll finally get to see why Ajia is everyone’s favorite character, lol.

@Negrek

Hey! I wasn’t expecting to see you here! :D
And you're right, Jade definitely responds differently here than she did after the torture chapter. It's refreshing to see her considering the different ways she can take action rather than wallowing or feeling inadequate. Not that you can blame her for those things, but this is definitely a positive change for her.
Thanks! While I’d been planning all along for Jade’s development in 23 to be different than 21, I’m still glad you pointed out that it was in danger of being similar, cause it helped me cement a few things about the way she behaved in this chapter.

On the other hand, it's kind of out of left field and feels a little unnecessary to me. This isn't really a twist that's foreshadowed by much--about the only connection that hints at Astrid's former identity is her name, and the fact that she's curiously bad at actually killing Jade is the only suspect thing about her.
So I kind of spent the majority of the past year agonizing over whether or not I was being too obvious with the Astrid subplot. I constantly went back and forth between “nope, too much foreshadowing” “gah, not enough foreshadowing” “mm, no, now it’s too much.” I think this confirms that it wasn’t enough? I still remember all the bits that I cut, so there is the option of editing them back in. I was constantly paranoid about going too far with it.

Actually, the one thing I was most afraid of getting called on was the fact that Astrid didn’t just shoot Jade during that stand-off at the birds mission. ^^; I had no good excuses lined up either. I was 100% convinced that you were gonna zero in on that instantly.

And Jade did feel like Astrid looked oddly familiar when they first met, but she brushed that feeling off as being related to the fact that she saw Astrid at the plane incident (never mind that Jade didn’t remotely get a good look at her during that arc.) I could definitely stand to call more attention to it.

There's also the fact that although Starr was Jade's childhood best friend, we as readers never saw her outside a handful of lines in the prologue. We aren't especially invested in the relationship between these two characters, and there isn't even much indication of what that relationship is. I don't even think Jade thought about Starr once between the prologue and thischapter. So while this revelation is huge for Jade, it's kind of hard for a reader to appreciate what this really means for her; up to this point in the text the fact that Jade had a best friend who moved away five years ago hasn't mattered and could be nixed without changing anything.
One of the things I always wished I could do was show them interacting more in the past, but I was never able to figure out how to do it without having a whole mini-series that took place before the main storyline. Admittedly, prior to Revision 6, Starr did show up in the main story herself a few times prior to the reveal, although that made it blatantly obvious that she was a Rocket, so it got nixed a long, long time ago.

So I can certainly understand why readers might not have much reason to be invested in their relationship right now. I’m actually kind of okay with that, though. Because it’s going to get a crapton of development from here on out (mild spoiler, but Starr is going to be a central character for the entire rest of the fic.)

Liked the little call-out to the griseous orb, too, though I'm guessing we won't be seeing that particular plot thread moving along for a while yet.
My greatest challenge will be coming up with excuses to keep mentioning it throughout Book 2 so that no one forgets about it. :’D

Of course, it sounds like there's more action to come, which I'm definitely excited to see. Especially if it involves Mewtwo! I've really enjoyed your handling of him in this story, so I'll eagerly await his return in a couple chapters.
You’ll be pleased to hear that the Mewtwo mission actually starts next chapter and runs through Chapter 25.

As always, thanks tons for the insightful feedback!

@DreamSayer

When Tyson showed up, that was when things began to get very interesting. He may not have been a grunt, but he sure as well was quite the cocky arrogant ******* kind of a character. His team was also not too shabby, being hybrids and all. I wonder why they didn’t just make a hybrid scizor instead of a scythe though.
Razors was given Kabutops armor, so he has all the speed of a Scyther, plus way better defenses, which basically gives him the best of both worlds.

Speaking of hybrids, things went really crazy when Chibi was freed from his pokeball. Dude just went around shooting bolts of lightning in random directions without showing any regard for who or what it hit. From now on, I’m going to call it ‘Super Saiyan Rodent’ or SSR from short.
Alright everyone, pack it up. This is officially the best comment anyone's ever made about number nine.

There was also the part where they were stealing all those tms they found. Jade should’ve taken more though and become rich by selling them all.
I guarantee that Jade kicked herself over this more than once while she was in Vermilion. :p

I was also not expecting Ajia to just drop in like that out of nowhere. It was almost cliché, but It wasn’t that big a deal. We finally got to see her since the prologue and she’s very likable. I wonder if she’s already a part of the revolt that Jade’s joining. Whatever the case may be, she does have a history in fighting team rocket. Maybe she could give Jade some tips.
Ajia has always been a fan-favorite character, and I'm currently writing more of her for the current chapter. But one of my favorite things about her is how many secrets she holds (including the secret of how she managed to show up so conveniently). It won't be long before the full truth of her history with TR is revealed...

I admire the fact that you thoroughly researched the interiors of cruise ships when you rewrote the arc. You really helped me to paint a better mental image of their surroundings inside the ship. And boy! I could feel the tension when she was gathering all those bombs to dispose of them. Even worse was when they activated the remote timer. That was just… wow!
Man, it's been ages since I wrote that chapter, but I still remember how much work went into it, so I'm super glad that all the details added to the realism.

Thank you very much for all of the excellent comments! They were a joy to read. :)

Huh, I'm really digging the spoiler tags for separating multiple review responses in one post and keeping the thread clean. I think I'll be using them like that from now on.

Tomorrow I'll post the Chapter 23 retrospective, as promised! And you'll all get to enjoy terrible writing from 12-year-old Chibi, as well as seeing how this chapter evolved throughout the ages.

~Chibi~;249;;448;

Last edited:

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
Chapter 23 Retrospective

(Should go without saying, but do not read if you haven't read Chapter 23.)

I’ve mentioned this a few times, but it bears repeating: the subplot of Starr being a member of Team Rocket dates all the way back to the original handwritten draft of the fic. It is literally the only thing left in the fic from the original. So it’s a pretty big deal and holds a large amount of sentimental importance as a result. The friendship between Jade, Ajia, and Starr has always been intended to be the centerpiece of the fic (thus explaining the Prologue’s existence) and the quest to free Starr from Team Rocket has been the crux of that since the beginning.

As a result of its importance, this subplot has been rewritten a lot. In fact, I’d wager that the scene where Jade discovers that Starr is a Rocket has been rewritten more times than any other scene in the fic. So I thought it would be fun to do a little retrospective on it!

The Original
(Written January 2002)

As I reached the gym I saw a huge crowd of people and police there. When I got closer I saw that the gym was in ruins and the leader, Giovanni wasn’t there.

“What happened here?” I asked someone

“I have no clue”, he answered,” but I’ve heard a rumor that Giovanni is the leader of Team Rocket”.

“Team Rocket?”

“Yeah, weird”.

I walked off, trying to figure out what had happened.

“Do you know what’s going on?” I asked someone else.

“Ask her, she knows a lot about this”, they answered.

I looked over. It was Starr.

“Starr what are you doing here! I thought you moved to Johto!” I exclaimed.

“Yeah, but Dad had some… stuff to do away from the gym and…”She said

“Your dad is Giovanni the gym leader?!”

“Oh no, you weren’t supposed to know…”

“You never told me that. Cool.”

“Well anyway…He left the gym to someone else and a trap in the floor blew it up”.

“Yeah? So how have things been going?” I asked.

“Well I…well, I guess I can tell you. I…I’ve been thinking about joining Team Rocket.”

“What?!”

“Well. It looks kinda cool and…”

“But…”

Starr leaned over looking at someone else behind me.

“Hey look! There’s Tetra! Well I gotta go bye!

“But I…” I wanted to say but she was gone.
Yeah, it’s pretty clear that no setup went into this. This was the second chapter ever written for the fic—it wasn’t as if I’d gotten the chance to have any buildup, so it all comes out of nowhere. I’m particularly fond of that hilariously abrupt ending to the scene as Tetra shows up (Tetra being the precursor to Ajia.)

Revision 1
(Written March 2002)

“Starr what are you doing here! I thought you were training in Johto!” I exclaimed.

“Well, I…” Starr said.

“You know, you’ve been acting kinda strange lately…”

“Like how?”

“You’re always nervous, you never want me to do certain things, and you always turn up where Team Rocket is.”

“Hey, I just have stuff to in Kanto!”

“Stuff involving Team Rocket?” I asked suspiciously.

“No I…listen, I have to meet Gi…I mean my dad somewhere.”

“You meant to say Giovanni…”

“No I didn’t!” Starr quickly said.

“So Giovanni’s your dad…its all coming together.”

“You’ve got it all wrong!”

“You are on Team Rocket…it fits perfectly…”

“No it doesn’t!”

“I should have seen this before; that Rocket in the hideouts was you.”

“That was not me!”

“If you really weren’t there you wouldn’t know what I was talking about.” I said grinning.

Starr thought for a moment and then turned to me. “Well now you know and I hope you’re happy. You were always against Team Rocket, even before I was a trainer and only had plans to join.”

“You mean you…you’ve been on Team Rocket the whole time you’ve been a trainer?”

“Uh-huh, What are you gonna do about it?”

“You’ve changed, but I’m gonna stop you!”

“Oh yeah? Go Ponyta!” Starr yelled as she leaped on its back and rode away.
So we’ve got a pretty major change here—Starr isn’t just considering joining Team Rocket, she’s been a member for quite some time. I had actually written a decent number of the earlier chapters on Jade’s Pokémon Journey, so I’d gotten the chance to give the subplot a small amount of buildup by having Jade actually encounter a Starr as a Rocket who was out to get her. This is already setting the stage for the version that we see today, and so early on, too!

Revision 2
(Written May 2003)

“Starr what are you doing here? I thought you were training in Johto…” I said.

“Well, I…” Starr said.

“Like how?”

“You’re always nervous, you never want me to do certain things, and you always turn up where Team Rocket is.”

“Stuff involving Team Rocket?” I asked suspiciously.

“No I…listen, I have to meet Gi…I mean my dad somewhere.”

“So Giovanni’s your dad…its all coming together.”

“You’ve got it all wrong!”

“No it doesn’t!”

“That was not me, it was someone else!”

“If you really aren’t on Team Rocket, you wouldn’t have been there and you wouldn’t know what I was talking about.” I said grinning.

Starr thought for a moment and then turned to me. “Well now you know and I hope you’re happy. You were always against Team Rocket ever since you first found out about it at Mt. Moon.”

“How’d you know that?”

“Duh, I’m on Team Rocket…I’ve heard about every mission for the past three years.”

“You mean you…you’ve been on Team Rocket the whole time you’ve been a trainer?” I said in disbelief.

“Yeah, and I was there.”

“You were there?”

“Yeah, Giovanni had me oversee that mission. I followed you throughout the cave. Those ‘shadows’ you saw were really me. When you and Rudy battled Butch and Cassidy, I wanted to step in and completely defeat you.”

“Why didn’t you?”

“I knew that if I let you win, you would get overconfident and believe Team Rocket was full of wimps. I wanted you to be overconfident the next time we battled. If I had beaten you, you probably would have a very different opinion of Team Rocket now.”

“Didn’t you get in trouble?”

“Almost. I had to convince Giovanni that I didn’t know that battle was taking place. Of course Butch and Cassidy had known I was lying. They had never liked me and always thought I got special treatment just cause my dad was boss.”

“Did you?”

“No, I even got demoted after Mt. Moon. It was worth it, though, I had wanted to know your battling style ever since I first saw you there. I watched the whole battle.”

“Everything?”

“Yeah, especially you dealing with your Pikachu which was still acting somewhat wild. I even saw you talking to it.”

“Oh, great, now Team Rocket knows I can talk to Pokèmon…” I muttered.

“Uh-huh, what are you gonna do about it?”

This version is just expanded from the previous one, as opposed to being rewritten. It already shows the marks of Revision 2, which I like to call the “endless dialogue” revision. Of special note is the abundance of anime parallels that would later be removed. I’ve also added a lot more foreshadowing to the early chapters by this point, which gets mentioned here.

Revision 4
(Written January 2004)

“Jade, what are you doing?” someone asked.

“Hi, Starr.” I said. “Are you looking for Giovanni cause I am.”

“Yeah.” Starr said. “I think we should stop.”

“Yeah, I guess I was just bored and wanted to think about stuff when Ajia went back to the Pokèmon Center.” I said, walking.

“Don’t go that way.”

“How come?”

“Well, Viridian City’s the other way so don’t.”

“Okay…what, is there something over there?”

“Just don’t.”

“Why?” I asked, walking in that direction.

“I said don’t.” Starr said.

“Like how?”

“What?” I asked.

“Listen, I can’t talk, I have to meet Gi…I mean my dad somewhere.”

“No it doesn’t!”

“That was not me, it was someone else!”

“If you really aren’t on Team Rocket, you wouldn’t have been there and you wouldn’t know what I was talking about.” I said grinning.

Starr thought for a moment and then turned to me. “Well now you know and I hope you’re happy. You were always against Team Rocket ever since you first found out about it at Mt. Moon.”

“How’d you know that?”

“Duh, I’m on Team Rocket…I’ve heard about every mission for the past three years.”

“You mean you…you’ve been on Team Rocket the whole time you’ve been a trainer?” I said in disbelief.

“Yeah, and I was there.”

“You were there?”

“Yeah, Giovanni had me oversee that mission. I followed you throughout the cave. Those ‘shadows’ you saw were really me. When you and Rudy battled Team Rocket, I wanted to step in and completely defeat you.”

“Why didn’t you?”

“I knew that if I let you win, you would get overconfident and believe Team Rocket was full of wimps. I wanted you to be overconfident the next time we battled. If I had beaten you, you probably would have a very different opinion of Team Rocket now.”

“Well it didn’t work…I don’t think Team Rocket is full of wimps. Especially after what happened two days ago. And besides, didn’t you get in trouble for just watching the battle?”

“Almost. I had to convince Giovanni that I didn’t know that battle was taking place. Of course, the other members that were there had known I was lying. They had never liked me and always thought I got special treatment just cause my dad was boss.”

“Did you?”

“No, I even got demoted after Mt. Moon. It was worth it, though, I had wanted to know your battling style ever since I first saw you there. I watched the whole battle.”

“Everything?”

“Uh-huh, what are you gonna do about it?”

This version finally eschews the “random encounter outside Giovanni’s gym” for something a little bit different. In this version, the Rebellion had just ended, Jade had a near-fatal confrontation with Giovanni in his gym, and then she and Ajia were attempting to track him down while Starr attempted to steer them away from that goal.

I kind of wish I had properly rewritten the chapter for this revision, though. If you were to compare this excerpt with other material from the same revision, the latter is a lot better.

Revision 5
(Written February 2004)

“Darn it, I was right!” I slammed my fist into the keyboard. “I didn’t want to be right! Man, why the heck did she join?!”

I heard a loud crash in the corner of the room. I turned to see a Team Rocket member who had apparently just ran into the filing cabinet, spilling many papers onto the floor.

“I was wondering if I’d ever run into you when not in battle...Starr.” I said.

“So…you finally figured it out…” she said slowly.

“I’ve been suspecting you for weeks, but hacking into the computer was the only way to know for sure.”

She walked closer and leaned against the desk, glancing at the computer. “So how did you do it?”

“Uh unh, not telling.”

“You better not let the boss know what you’ve done,” Starr said angrily.

“Oh, like I’d tell him that I hacked into the computer,” I said, sarcastically.

“No, I mean what you did to Team Rocket. All those missions you ruined, all those bases you snuck into. You know what happens when you betray Team…”

“Betray?! “I shouted, jumping to my feet. “I’M NOT EVEN ON TEAM ROCKET!!!!!” I was yelling so loud that I was afraid that a passing Rocket would hear me and alert Giovanni.

“Yeah, I mean you’ll get in trouble for that. And the fact that all the missions you wrecked, you, or should I say Aly, was supposed to obey Giovanni. So you’ll get in trouble for opposing Team Rocket and for not following orders.”

“I have been following orders…and my orders were to wreak havoc on Team Rocket.”

“Who gave you those orders?”

“No way, I am not telling anyone anything about The Rebellion…well, wait, I told Ajia, but—”

“You told Ajia and not me?!” Starr yelled. For that moment she seemed like the Starr I had known before—before she was corrupted by Team Rocket.

“Yeah, I can trust Ajia,” I said

“Yeah, well I can probably figure out who leads it, anyway.”

[Spoilers ahoy! Paragraphs have been snipped!]

“Smarter than I thought you’d be…” I muttered.

“What do you mean by that?!” Starr yelled.

“I mean that fact that you’re acting smart is surprising to me,” I calmly explained.

“Shut up,” Starr said “And besides, you know I could tell Giovanni that you’re not really on Team Rocket, and you know what he’d do.”

“Yeah, I know…which is why I know that you wouldn’t really tell him.”

I grinned. Starr glared angrily.

“Okay, fine…so I wouldn’t really tell him.”

“Knew it,” I said.

“Yeah, well what are you doing here anyway?”

“Carrying out my final mission for Stalker: destroying all data on the Mewtwo Project and ultimately destroying this base.”

“Destroying this base would kill hundreds of Rockets and maybe even a few members of your little team. You wouldn’t do that.”

“What, did you think I would just Hyper Beam the building or something?” I asked. “Nah, I’d get together with some others from Stalker’s team, wreak a little havoc first, make the Rockets know what’s happening so they evacuate the hideout and then Hyper Beam the place.”

“If you destroy the base, then you’d never be able to ruin another Team Rocket mission again, cause they’d know who you are and they’d hunt you down.”

“Yeah, maybe they’d be after me, but I could always just go to Johto, I mean, Giovanni doesn’t run missions there.”

“Well you’ll find out something there that you’ll wish you hadn’t.”

“What?” I asked

“Oh, you’ll see,” Starr said.

“I’ll see what? Tell me!”

“I said you’ll see,” she said, walking out of the room.

“Hey, get back here, you haven’t even told me why the heck you’re on Team Rocket.”

“Because I feel like it.”

“That doesn’t explain why you’ve been attacking me in the hideouts.”

“Because I felt like it,” Starr said.

“You felt like having Raichu torture me?!” I yelled. “Come on, what’s the real reason.”

“Orders. I was just doing what I was told to.”

“Orders, yeah, well would if Giovanni ordered you to kill me?! What would you do then?!”

Starr hesitated. “I…I don’t know what I’d do in that situation.”

“Knew it…” I muttered.

“You knew what?”

“I knew that you wouldn’t be sure what to do. If it were me in that situation, I’d definitely tell Giovanni I wouldn’t.”

“I’d have two choices: betray the boss or betray my friends. I don’t know what I do.”

“Exactly my point. I would pick betray the boss in a second.”

“It’s more complicated than that for me.”

“Then I’d better hope that Giovanni never actually orders you to kill me,” I said. “Cause seeing how loyal you are to Team Rocket, I’m not sure what you’d do.”

Starr looked down and said nothing.

“Okay, so I wouldn’t really kill you,” she said finally.

“Yeah, well…I still hope Giovanni never orders you to.”

“So do I.”

“Well, for one thing, why did you have your Feraligatr attack me and Rudy outside the Silph Company building?”

“Oh…I—I don’t know why—I guess I was trying to protect you?”

“Uh huh, trying to protect me by knocking me off of my Charizard while I was a hundred feet in the air? Wrong answer.”

“Well, I knew you had another flying Pokèmon.”

“Well, would if I hadn’t had another flying Pokèmon.”

“I knew you did, I watched your whole battle with Giovanni. I knew that you had recalled Pidgeot before—”

“No, I mean—say Pidgeot had been knocked out,” I said.

“Then I would have kicked myself for mentioning attacking you to Giovanni,” Starr said.

I stared “Kicking yourself wouldn’t keep me from falling off Charizard and dying.”

“Then I would’ve felt really bad cause I wouldn’t have been able to do anything about it. Cause I don’t have any flying Pokèmon.”

“Yeah, that’s right you don’t. Most of yours are fire.”

“I prefer fire to any other type which is why I wouldn’t have been able to do anything.”

“You could have just not suggested attacking us while we were in the air to Giovanni.”

“Er…that’s a good point but—I had to prove I’m loyal since he knew you were my old friend.”

“Which again proves my point that you’re too loyal to Team Rocket.”

“Yeah, well I wouldn’t have attacked you if I hadn’t been around Giovanni,”

“Like I said, you’re too loyal to him,”

“If you knew the real reason why I don’t want to want to make him really mad, you might lose it.”

“The only thing that’s making me lose it is you being on Team Rocket! And what is the real reason?”

“I can’t tell you!”

“No surprise there,” I said.

Starr got so mad that she turned and punched the filing cabinet. There was a loud crack as her fist connected with the metal.

“Ow.”

“Starr, you are a real idiot,” I said, shaking my head.

“Well, you’re driving me crazy! Would you rather have me punch you in the face and get us both in trouble with the boss?!”

“No, but having a fight here in the office would be kinda funny.”
This version is from Revision 5, which was always sort of an oddball in that it barely got written at all. This was the revision I hastily devised after Revision 4 got rejected on SPPf, and in a way, I always knew it was rushed, because it only took a couple months for me to give up on it and begin working on the much better-thought-out Revision 6.

This scene was largely written out of thin air, so it doesn’t really have a clearly defined sequence of events leading up to it. I like how the dialogue rambles on forever like something straight out of Revision 2, with both Jade and Starr stating the obvious the entire time.

This is also the first revision where Jade figures out Starr’s identity on her own, rather than Starr accidentally letting something slip.

Revision 8
(Written November 2005)

I stormed forward, oblivious to any of the Rockets I was running into, and gradually made my way through the crowd to her. Without saying anything, I grabbed her roughly by the wrist and began dragging her off somewhere we could talk without being overheard.

“What in the heck are you doing?!” she hissed.

“We need to talk,” I muttered, hints of rage surfacing in my voice.

She raised an eyebrow and pulled my arm off hers. “You know, I don’t think you’re in any position to be telling me what to do,” she threatened.

“Oh, oh yeah, well I think I do,” I retorted. “In fact, I don’t think you can do anything to me.”

“Is that so?” she replied, a smug grin on her face.

“Yeah, that’s so,” I shot back immediately. “You act all tough, but you’d never back your words up with actions.”

Fuming, her fists clenched, she dangerously said, “How about I prove it now?”

I played my trump card. “Go ahead, attack me with your Pokémon, turn me in to the boss, do whatever, get your old best friend killed.”

She stopped suddenly, as if the words were a smack to the face. Her eyes widened, and she swore under her breath before regaining herself quickly and narrowing her eyes. Starr grabbed my wrist as I had done before and continued to drag me to the same secluded hallway I had been leading her to. Finally, she spoke. “So…now you know…you figuring it out wasn’t exactly part of my plans, but…Jade, that was a long time ago. Things are different now.”

“Different, oh yeah, I’m down with that, different as in you’ve been a total as‌shole!!!” I glared at her and didn’t have to wait long for her response.

“Dammit, Jade, don’t you see why I didn’t want you to figure it out?!” Starr shouted. “I knew you’d react like this, but why does it matter?! For crying out loud, we were only friends for about a year, and that was five years ago!!!

“Is that supposed to matter to me?!” I yelled, the rage turning to desperation. “You were one of my best friends!!! And now what? You’re practically at the head of a criminal organization that wants me dead, and gee, let’s not forget the recurring torture incidents,” I added in a mocking sort of tone. “Mind telling me why the heck you did that—or better yet—why the heck you joined Team Rocket?”

Starr honestly looked like she wanted to punch me in the face. She contained her frustration, however, and said plainly, “It’s not like I had a choice in the matter,” but then looked like she’d rather not have said that. “Well what about you? Last time I checked, you were on your own team, and whether you’ll admit it or not, I’m not the only one who’s changed because of a team.”

I didn’t bother mentioning that The Rebellion no longer existed, as she knew that, and it was beside the point. I examined her expression, wondering what she had meant by saying we both had changed.

Still, I couldn’t help but let my glance slide toward the holster hanging from the right side of her Poké ball belt.

She wouldn’t…would she?

“Noticed this, eh?” she said, grasping the jet-black handgun and fingering it delicately.

“You wouldn’t,” I muttered, more to myself than to her.

She laughed. “Jeez, I haven’t changed that much. I’ve never killed anyone, to be honest, and it doesn’t exactly make me look good with the other Executives. No, if I really needed to, I could always just aim for your leg or something.”

She was bluffing; I could see it in her eyes, yet I didn’t dare test my theory.

“Yeah, well just…put it away,” I mumbled.

“What, afraid of guns?” she asked tauntingly.

I clenched my teeth. “Yes, I am afraid of guns, now put. It. Away.”

She shrugged slightly and replaced the weapon in its holster. She remained silent until I finally brought up what I had been wondering most of all. “Why? It makes no sense, why on earth did you join Team Rocket? And maybe not just why are you on it, because I know a lot of people who are on it, but why are you actually faithful to it?”

She paused, glaring angrily for several seconds before finally, with a sigh, she said, “Look. I think we both should just forget any of this happened. You go back to working undercover for your team, I go back to my missions and keeping suspicion off myself while trying not to get you killed in the process.”

“Well you’re quite the loyal Rocket,” I muttered sarcastically as she was about to walk off.

Starr spun around immediately in fury. “Yes. I am a loyal Rocket, and if you knew the real reason behind that, you might lose it, so I suggest you not try to test whether my loyalty to my friends is greater than my loyalty to my team.”
The reason we see a huge revision jump here is because after I started Revision 6, I was actually publishing the story on a regular basis, therefore I was largely writing the chapters in chronological order. So it wasn’t until Revision 8 that I’d get to this chapter again.

In this version, Starr’s Rocket persona wasn’t just a mysterious background entity, but a fully-fledged character, thus she needed a false name to obscure her identity. Enter Astra (later changed to Astrid to make the name connection a little less obvious.) This version follows a similar path to the Revision 5 one—Jade discovers Starr’s identity and then has a confrontation with her, as opposed to discovering her identity during a confrontation with her. Very interesting that the Fourth Rewrite switches back to the original formula on this!

Revision 11
(Written May 2014)

(Oh yeah, for those who don't know, I'm currently on Revision 12. It started when I came back from hiatus on Page 5 of this thread.)
“I’m not gonna tolerate any fu‌cking rebels in our base, got it?!” she yelled, throwing me to the ground.

My hands flew to my belt and—I paused. Astrid was just standing there, fists clenched, breathing heavily from the effort of dragging me all that way. No weapon drawn, no Pokémon ready to murder me, nothing. Just...standing there, glaring at me. I’d been so sure I was about to fight for my life that the lack of any apparent danger completely threw me off.

“Your team’s finished, your leader’s abandoned you, and you’re powerless by yourself. You’re not worth the time it’d take to kill you,” she spat. “I’d suggest you take take advantage of my generosity and get the hell out of here.”

I stared at her stupidly, unable to process what had just happened. “What? You’re letting me go?”

She didn’t answer. She just turned and walked away.

Why??? Why was she doing this? And worse, why did I feel like I should know why?

“What kind of game are you trying to pull?!” I called after her. “Why even go to all this effort? Why not just turn me in?”

Astrid froze mid-step. With her back to me, she said, “What’s it to you? So I’m sick of everyone dying, enemy of Team Rocket or not…and I’m sick of being the cause of it.” She resumed walking away.

What? That didn’t make any sense. She’d always targeted me, right from the start. It always felt like she was deliberately trying to torment me above all others. I’d always thought she just had a grudge against me ever since the plane incident, which only got worse with each time I escaped. But the kind of grudge that would lead her to target me without killing me or turning me in, when she didn’t seem to care if that happened to any of the other rebels?

The back of my mind kept nagging at me. I was missing something important. Some piece of the puzzle that should have been obvious.

Without thinking, I jumped to my feet and sprinted after her, saying, “You don’t actually want me dead. Like…specifically me.”

Astrid spun to face me, eyes narrowed. “Tch. So you’ve figured out that much.”

My pulse quickened. I was actually right?

“I just don’t know why,” I went on added slowly.

She squinted at me as though I’d just said the dumbest thing she ever heard. “God, I’m lucky you’re such an idiot.” Her expression completely threw me off. I’d only ever seen her give me the usual arrogant smirk or death glare, so her current expression was a stark contrast to those.

But then an eerie feeling swept over me. Why did that face she was making feel so familiar? I had seen it before, but when? The image felt ancient in memory, much older than any of my run-ins with Team Rocket. I suddenly felt years younger, with her making that exact face and telling me how dumb I was being. How did I have this memory of her looking at me like that from way before I’d even met her?

It hit me like a ton of bricks to the face. Five years. Five years—had it really been that long? Long enough that I’d forgotten what she looked like. How was I even capable of forgetting something like that? But there was no other explanation. It had to be her. That would make her seventeen now? Old enough to be an executive. How did I go this long without realizing?

My mind was racing. Too many thoughts to process all at one—it felt like my head was going to burst. It all made sense now. Everything fit.

Astrid was still looking at me like I was a moron. “Are you even listening? I told you to leave Team Rocket the hell alone. What else do I have to do to make you go away??

“Oh god, it really is you, Starr.”
I ultimately decided that it was more dramatic to move the reveal back to during their confrontation. It takes away the coincidence of Jade stumbling across the info that allows her to make the discovery. Instead, we get a more organic thought process as Jade puts all the puzzle pieces together. It also fixes the problem that Revision 8 had where some of the tension is lost between the reveal and the confrontation.

This version is interesting in that it’s very similar to the final one we see in Chapter 23, but it takes place outside the Viridian HQ. Up until very recently, Jade was supposed to visit the base after the Rebellion ended. I ultimately had to cut this because it did not fit with the direction I’ve taken Jade’s character arc recently. This required making Astrid a little bit more frazzled and desperate as a result of the night raid, in order to justify her even needing to confront Jade at all.

Hope this was interesting! And it should shed a bit of light on why I'm so overly fond of this subplot.

~Chibi~;249;;448;

Last edited:

jirachiman876

The King of Kirby
Ya, it was definitely revision 8 I read. Now I remember!!! Ah good times.
It's been interesting to see how this has evolved. Especially with the beginning revisions being cringe-worthy. Just like my super early writing. (glad nobody remembers sevii island adventures)
jirachiman out ;385;

DreamSayer

Name's Adam.
Review for Chapter 8-9

My last review got deleted thanks to some algorithm glitch, so I'm just going to make this a joint review.

In ch8, I really liked the way your described Jade's struggles with swimming after the events of the prior chapter. It was a good thing that the whole ship didn't go boom along iwth everyone in it, and the Scumbag rockets went up and stole Chibi along with all the lifeboats. At least we got that Lugia foreshadowing, or is it a cameo rather? Yeah.

I also liked the battle between Swift and Sandshrew in the next chapter, but that battle paled in comparison to Stalker's demonstration battle. I've not seen many stories incorporating multi battles and this offers a nice perspective on it. I'm thrilled to see how much you're going to further expand on this.

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
This chapter references the Chapter 5 extra, which technically hadn't been written when this chapter was first published. So if you never read that one, you can check it out [here]. Otherwise, just know that that's what Jade's talking about when she mentions having called home.

~Chapter 24: Old Friends and New Enemies~

ch24art_by_chibi_pika-dbe5d6z.png

My heart wouldn’t stop pounding as I sat down at the Pokécenter video phone and opened my wallet to retrieve the small, wrinkled, water-stained piece of paper that Ajia had written her Pokégear number onto so long ago. I took a few deep breaths to steady myself, then placed a few coins into the console before punching in her number. There was no need to be nervous. I was just calling an old friend. No need to be nervous. Not like I was calling to tell her that a mutual friend was part of Team Rocket’s upper ranks. My feet tapped the floor without me telling them to. I tried to make them stop, but that just made them tap faster. Then Ajia’s face appeared on the screen and my heart jumped into my throat. No going back now.

Her eyes lit up the moment she saw me. “Jade? Hey, how’ve you been? You shoulda called sooner, it’s been ages!”

I forced a smile, though it was only slightly forced—there was something undeniably uplifting about seeing her again after all this time. Something that cut through all the nerves and reminded me why she was the one I was reaching out to right now.

“It’s good to see you,” I said, and I meant it.

“So what’s up?” she asked.

I swallowed hard. There really was no way to open this conversation that wasn’t totally awkward. Why bother trying to find one.

“It’s our old friend Starr,” I said slowly, fighting every word. “I found out that she’s a Rocket executive.”

Ajia’s face fell. “Oh. You… you know about that now?”

My heart crumpled inward on itself. “You knew?”

She paused, eyes glancing away ever so slightly. “It would’ve been better if I’d never found out, honestly.”

Ajia knew. This was yet another thing that Ajia knew. Yet another thing that exposed her history fighting Team Rocket… one that I hadn’t even known about until five months ago. Another reminder that my friends were entangled in a vast conspiracy, and that I’d only started to scratch the surface.

“So that day, at the plane crash… you knew that was her?”

Ajia nodded. “And I’m sure she knew who she was fighting then, too.”

“Why didn’t you tell me?” I asked, hurt leaking into my voice despite all efforts to keep it out.

She paused, frowning. “I… it had been so many years since we’d seen her. I didn’t think it would do any good to bring up that kind of drama out of nowhere. Things didn’t go so well when I found out.”

I bit my lip and glanced away. “Ugh, I didn’t realize. I wanted to talk to her again… try to get some answers, you know? But… if that’s a bad idea—”

“Well hang on, I never said that,” Ajia cut in, smiling faintly. “Things didn’t go so well the last time I talked to her. But that was just me. She’ll have a lot harder time refusing both of us.” She winked.

I stared at her. Somewhere, deep within all the hurt and confusion and shock that this day had held, it was like the tiniest flame of hope had just been lit inside of me, its warmth gradually radiating outward. Ajia was willing to help. I hadn’t even had to ask.

“Where are you?” she asked.

“I…”—I shook my head to get my bearings—“I’m at the Pokémon center in Lavender Town.” A pause, and I added, “Do you know where that is?”

“I’ve got a Pokégear. I can find it.”

Right. Obviously. “I guess I’ll see you here then?”

“Yup, see you!” She waved once more before hanging up.

I collapsed against the seat cushion, letting out a massive sigh of relief—one that it felt like I’d been holding for hours. I had Ajia on my side in this. I wasn’t alone. Someone else knew what it felt like to discover that their friend was on Team Rocket, and that someone was also an expert trainer who had fought Team Rocket before. That alone was enough to remove a huge weight from my shoulders.

Ajia arrived far more quickly than she had any right to. Sure, her Aerodactyl was fast, but it felt like I’d only been waiting a couple of minutes before I glanced up to see a petite teenaged girl walking in through the front doors to the center with a Pichu perched on her shoulder and an Espeon trotting at her heels. The bright energy in her dark eyes stood out in contrast to the grim atmosphere that hung over everyone I’d seen in the past twelve hours, and I couldn’t help suddenly feeling self-conscious about how exhausted and worn-out I probably looked. Last time she’d seen me, I’d been trying to convince her that I really did want to fight Team Rocket. A fresh wave of embarrassment hit me from how bad an idea that had turned out to be.

I stood up from the couch a little too late and wasn’t ready when Ajia threw out her arms and pulled me into a hug, saying, “It’s good to see you!”

Words failed me, like I’d momentarily forgotten what to do when confronted with such good cheer. In the end I settled on, “Thanks for helping me out,” with what hopefully wasn’t too defeated a tone.

She elbowed me lightly as we separated. “Hey, what are friends for?” But then she cocked her head, gazing at me like she was trying to figure something out. “Are… are you doing alright?”

I closed my eyes, smiling weakly. So it was that obvious, huh? “I’ve been better,” I said, grabbing my bag and slinging it over my shoulder. “Come on, let’s walk outside while we talk.”

A cool sea breeze swept through our hair as we stepped outside the Pokécenter. Espeon dashed ahead of us, zigzagging across the path that led to the boardwalk. Ajia held her arms out to the side while we walked, allowing Pichu to scamper from one end to the other.

“So, you start,” Ajia said. “What have you been up to?”

I gave a dry laugh. No way, I definitely wasn’t going to open with that. “I’d reeeally prefer for you to answer that first.”

She blinked a bit in surprise, but then folded her arms behind her head, which prompted Pichu to jump down and cling to her jacket front. “Ah, you know me, I’ve been traveling. A few odd jobs here, a local tournament there. Spent some time in the Sevii Islands recently, that was fun. It’s still warm there this time of year. And they’ve got tons of novelty tourneys and unofficial gyms—I got to take Lapras through a surf race where the competitors use water attacks to knock trainers off their Pokémon.”

I opened my mouth to speak, but then stopped myself. ‘You know me,’ she had said. But I honestly wouldn’t have been able to guess half of that stuff. Her combat skill went without saying, so I probably could have assumed something related to competitive battling, but other than that… it was like I didn’t know anything about her anymore.

“They’ve got a bunch of cool ruins down there too,” she went on. “Lots of rare Pokémon. Took Ninetales to the fire festival they held on the solstice at Mt. Ember. It’s really popular with the legend-spotting community—they say Moltres has shown up a few times in the past to give its blessing. Didn’t get to see it this year, though.”

I could hardly blame Moltres. The solstice was not long after Entei’s capture—of course it wouldn’t have wanted to go anywhere near humans. Not that it mattered either way, because the firebird had been caught two weeks ago and would never show up at the fire festival there, or anywhere else ever again.

Pichu jumped down from Ajia’s jacket and dashed up one of the wooden posts lining the boardwalk. The electric-type then hopped from one post to the next while Espeon jumped up and tried to catch her in midair.

“Any League stuff?” I asked, looking for any excuse to keep Ajia talking so it wouldn’t have to be my turn.

“Nah, I haven’t done official competitive since the Rocket stuff last year. I try to stay off TV, y’know? Don’t wanna advertise where they need to send a hit squad,” she said with a chuckle. I had a hard time finding humor in that. Then again, she could have been laughing at the fact that Espeon had caught Pichu mid-leap with its telekinesis, and the mouse was now flailing indignantly against the psychic-type’s hold.

“I mean, they’ve got agents scattered across the islands, but nothing large-scale. I took down a smuggling ring while I was there, but they never found out it was me, so…”

Why the hell hadn’t I been traveling with Ajia all this time? Even leaving out the fact that she had the unexplainable ability to fight Team Rocket and actually win, I could have been spending all this time having fun with one of the people I’d most wanted to meet up with when I became a trainer. And I’d had the opportunity after the plane incident, too! Sure, I had been opposed to leaving home without a license, and she’d been opposed to getting me mixed up in Rocket drama. But then I’d gone and done both of those things anyway. Was it just because the Rebellion had seemed important enough to leave home without permission and without a license?

“So… hang on… is that why it’s been ages since you last visited Viridian? Staying off the team’s radar?” I finally asked.

Ajia clicked her tongue in thought. “Part of it. My dad’s work transferred him to Indigo, so there’s also that.” She smiled faintly and gave me an encouraging nudge. “Alright, your turn. What’s it like being on that rebel team?”

My stomach tied itself into a knot. I’d known she was going to ask at some point, but that hadn’t made it any easier to come up with a suitable response.

“Don’t ask how I know this, but it sounds like you guys have really been making a difference,” she added once my pause had lasted more than a few seconds. “I mean… saving Raikou and Zapdos? Not to mention Mew! How many people can say they’ve even seen Mew, let alone saved her?” Her words held a cheerful air, but at the same time there was something… measured about them. She’d seen how worn and ragged I looked. She knew something was up. But she didn’t know what, so she’d focused on lifting the mood before it had the chance to drop.

I swallowed a lump, clutching the wound on my left arm, hidden from view under my jacket sleeve. Nope, I wasn’t ready to explain any more than the bare minimum.

“The rebel team was disbanded not long ago. It was getting too dangerous to continue, so we had to split up.” The sooner I could transition this into talking about Starr, the sooner I could stop thinking about the Rebellion’s fate. “That’s why I’m here, and that’s how Starr found me. You said we were gonna talk to her, right?”

Ajia blinked, obviously caught off-guard by the sudden subject change. “Oh, of course! Want to head to Viridian now?”

Now it was my turn to pause in confusion. “Viridian? I’ve only ever run into her in Celadon.”

“Yeah, it’s not uncommon for combat unit execs to bounce around depending on where they’re needed and what their mission schedule is like,” Ajia explained. “But as far as I know, Starr primarily leads the Viridian combat unit.”

The irony of it—I’d been so disappointed when Starr never returned to Viridian. Turns out she had. Just not the way I’d been expecting or hoping.

Ajia pivoted on her heels and put her hands over her mouth, calling out, “Alright, time to go, you two!”

As some point we had passed her Pokémon, both of whom were now perched atop opposing posts, shooting small, star-shaped bits of energy to knock each other off. Upon hearing Ajia’s call, however, they bolted over to us, neck-and-neck until Ajia held up a Pokéball and the yellow mouse instantly skidded to a halt.

“*Whaaat,*” Pichu said, fixing her trainer with an incredulous frown.

Ajia put her other hand on her hip. “Come on, we’re heading to the Viridian base. Everyone knows you there, I can’t have you out.”

“*I can hide in your bag,*” the electric-type pleaded.

Ajia cracked a smile. “Only if you stay in there,” she said, sliding her backpack from her shoulders. “We don’t need a repeat of the Cerulean incident.”

“*That was one time,*” Pichu mumbled, leaping into the bag the moment her trainer unzipped it.

Ajia shouldered her backpack before turning to face me and saying, “Need to run back and grab anything before we go? Oh, and is this your first time teleporting?”

“No to both of those,” I said, tugging at my own backpack strap for emphasis. But then my brain caught up with her second statement and I added, “Wait, we’re teleporting?”

She gestured to the psychic fox sitting at her heels, who was now fixing me with a curious stare. Well that explained how she’d gotten here so quickly. Ajia put a hand to my shoulder before reaching out her other hand to grab Espeon’s forked tail. Then the foggy surrounding of Lavender town melted into shimmering light.

Espeon took us straight to Viridian in a single jump, which was crazy far—farther than I’d seen any Pokémon do at once. We entered the base through the northwest entrance, located in a discreet warehouse on the edge of town. It was one of the less commonly used entrances, from what Darren and I had seen during the time we’d spent scoping out the base. Probably because it led directly to the storage division. Of course, that just made it easier to track down replacement boots and gloves for my uniform. Ajia already had a Rocket uniform, and a working Rocket ID for that matter. When I asked her how, she just said, “It’s a long story.”

“Well, when this is all done, I’d like to finally hear it,” I replied.

Ajia kept her hat pulled low over her face as she led us into the commons. Viridian HQ didn’t harbor nearly as many bad memories for me as Celadon, but I couldn’t help feeling the grip of anxiety just from being inside a base again. I had told myself I was done. That I was going to Johto to turn a new leaf. And now this.

We made our way toward the private rooms, which were generally reserved for executives, admins, or other important agents who were stationed at the base long-term. Apparently Ajia knew which room to check first, because she walked with a sense of purpose, like someone who didn’t have any doubts as to her destination. She stopped in front of room 160, checked her R-com once (she had an R-com too?), and then knocked three times. My chest tightened—this was it.

Several seconds passed. Then, a muffled voice from the other side of the door: “Oh, for the love of—”

I could hear the clattering of locks being undone before the door swung open to reveal an extremely unimpressed Starr. She was dressed more casually than the full executive getup I’d always seen her in—just a black tank top and gray capris—and was currently fixing me with a particularly disapproving scowl.

“What are you doing here? And what’d you bring her for?” she demanded pointing at Ajia.

“It’s great to see you too,” Ajia said brightly.

Starr put a hand to her forehead, dragging it down her face and pulling at her eyelids exasperatedly. She then leaned out the doorway and shot a couple of furtive glances down the hallway before stepping aside and roughly gesturing inside her room.

While I didn’t fancy being overheard any more than she did, the idea of setting foot in her quarters was… hardly appealing. Then again, it wasn’t as if I was alone—I did have Ajia with me. That made it better, right? My footsteps dragged against the carpet as I walked through the doorway into a narrow entry hall. Once the two of us were inside, Starr slammed the door shut, locked it, and rounded on us.

“You’ve got five seconds to explain what the hell you’re doing here.”

“We’re just here to talk,” Ajia said, holding up her hands defensively.

“I don’t want to talk with the likes of you guys,” Starr spat, putting her hands on her hips. “You’re just a bunch of no-good rebels trying to ruin my position on Team Rocket. Do you think I’ve forgotten the revolt? How many Rockets were totally screwed over because of you?”

Ajia frowned. “Screwed over? Really? That’s a bit harsh. Also, I think you’re giving me too much credit for everything that happened back then.”

What was this revolt they were talking about? I’d lost count of how many times I’d heard people mention it, but no one ever felt like explaining what it was.

Starr glared at Ajia silently for several seconds. Then she caught sight of my confusion before giving Ajia an odd look like she was trying to figure something out. Finally, a slow, satisfied grin made its way across her face, and she quietly said, “You mean Jade doesn’t…?” Starr decided against finishing the sentence, however, and instead threw a few unsettling glances my way, like she knew something I didn’t.

“What? I don’t what?” I asked, scowling at her.

Ajia, on the other hand, seemed to understand what Starr was insinuating, even though I had no idea. She gave her a sort of annoyed stare for a few seconds, but then casually said, “I think we’re getting off-topic. So, do you mind telling us why you’re so loyal to Team Rocket, or do we have to be here all day?”

Starr tilted her head. “What? That’s a stupid question. Why are you loyal to your rebel cause?”

“Simple. I’m against Team Rocket’s goals. I want to prevent them from going through with their plan to use the Legendaries to increase their power and influence. And I don’t want to see any more lives ruined by Team Rocket.” Ajia smiled and said, “Now it’s your turn. Go on, don’t be shy.”

Starr clenched her teeth, looking apprehensive. Her hand hovered over her pocket, where the outline of an R-com was visible through the fabric. I shot a nervous glance at Ajia, but she had a rather amused expression. “Going to turn us in? I’m surprised at you, Starr—I’d think an executive like you would know what would happen if two wanted enemies of Team Rocket were captured. But nah, I guess it’s totally cool if they kill us—no big deal, right?”

Starr continued to scowl at her. “That’s my biggest problem. It would be a lot easier if I could just pretend I hadn’t known you two before I joined Team Rocket.”

Ajia put a hand to her forehead. “Right… So, the only reason you care if the other higher-ups kill us is because we used to be friends. That’s comforting.”

Starr scoffed. “I’m head of the combat unit, what do you expect? Any threat to Team Rocket is the enemy, and I’ve gone through this debate in my head enough times. The past few years I’ve learned to ignore any sympathy, although Jade pretty much owes her life to it.” I glanced away, too embarrassed to look her in the eye.

“The point is… it’s my business why I’m a Rocket,” Starr continued. “Why the hell do you two even care anyway? Why does it matter?”

“Because…” Ajia began, choosing her words carefully, “you can’t be loyal to Team Rocket and help its enemies at the same time. Trust me, it doesn’t work. Sooner or later, you’ll be found out, and you’re gonna have to choose.”

Starr folded her arms. “I’m not a double agent like your allies. Stop making it sound like I’d help rebels.”

“I guess all the times you made sure I wasn’t killed don’t count, then?” I said dryly. “How many times was it?”

Starr’s mouth hung open, like my words were a slap to the face. “Not wanting you dead doesn’t count, alright! I’d never help the rebel cause or anything! And I wouldn’t have any problems if you two didn’t keep showing up in my life trying to test my loyalties.”

“So, what you’re saying is that you’re 100% satisfied with being a Rocket,” Ajia said. “It’s never made you feel uncomfortable at all. You’ve never once regret something you’ve had to do for the team. Ten out of ten, would join Team Rocket again.”

Starr gave her a horrified look, like she couldn’t believe what she’d just heard. “What the hell are you trying to say?”

“What I’m saying is—can you really blame me for trying to help the Rockets I met who wanted a way out but didn’t know what to do?”

“I’m not like all of them, alright! You really think someone in my position can just leave?!” Wait—her argument wasn’t that she didn’t want to leave, but that she couldn’t? That was totally different than what she’d implied earlier.

“There have been Rockets higher ranked than you who managed to—”

I can’t do what the commander did!! I won’t!! That was your fault anyway! He actually agreed with all your rebel bullshit. That’s not who I am!”

“Then who are you, Starr? Is serving Team Rocket all that you have?”

Yes!!!” she shouted, her eyes wide with desperation. “I threw away everything from my old life when I joined Team Rocket! Even my name… And I thought that included my friends. But I’ll never be entirely free, will I?” she asked, glaring at us.

I flinched and looked away. She… kind of had a point, much as I hated to admit it. If Starr really wanted nothing to do with us anymore, then what was the point of trying to force her to? It wouldn’t help her. It definitely wouldn’t help me get over what she’d done. Why were we doing this?

“For how loyal you are to the team, I assume they must be loyal to you as well, then?” Ajia asked, her tone casual. “The boss really wouldn’t mind if he knew what you’d done?”

Starr’s eyes widened with shock before immediately narrowing into the fiercest rage I’d ever seen from her. “Get out. NOW.”

I was about to protest, or at the very least try to calm her down, but then Ajia raised both arms and said, “Fine. That’s all I needed to know. It was great talking with you, let’s do it again soon.”

I shot an incredulous glance at Ajia, who gave me a meaningful look but didn’t say anything. Starr took several heavy steps over to the door and threw it open, pointing out. I did my best to avoid eye contact, but still caught sight of the glare she fixed on us the entire time we walked out. The instant I had cleared the doorway, I felt the door slam shut right behind me.

“We’re leaving just like that?” I asked, staring at Ajia in confusion.

A long pause followed. “I wasn’t lying when I said I’d found out everything I needed to know,” she said quietly. “Let’s go to the Pokémon Center for now. I’m starting to get an idea of how we can settle this.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“I think we can actually get Starr to quit Team Rocket.”

The announcement came out of nowhere. Ajia had been mostly silent as we’d walked to the north Viridian Pokécenter, where she’d reserved a double bunk room for us. Having the silence broken with such a bold claim was definitely not what I’d been expecting.

“Seriously?”

Ajia nodded, sitting up straight in her chair. “She’s trapped. She’ll never admit it, but it’s obvious there are a ton of things she hates about being a Rocket. She’s just had to ignore all of them in order to stay alive. It really is the same as the other ex-Rockets I’ve known. But even if we were to convince her of that, there’s no way she’d ever follow that path. I gave up trying to convince her to quit when I first found out. But with you being involved, things are different. The things she’s had to do to save you have made her question the things she’d always believed to be true.”

The idea that she wasn’t too far gone… that the person we used to know might still be in there, deep down. It was obviously appealing. But… it didn’t change the things she’d done. Nothing could change that. Trying to be friends with her again was almost more uncomfortable of a thought than just the fact that we were enemies now.

“Are you… sure about this?” I asked slowly.

Ajia nodded again. “But I don’t think we should push her to make a decision. What we should do, is show her what Team Rocket would do if they found out what she’s done.”

I grimaced. “I’m pretty sure she knows. That’s why she doesn’t want to oppose them.”

“Exactly,” Ajia said, eyes shining. “She refuses to betray them, but what if they betray her first? What if we show her that they don’t deserve her loyalty? All we’d have to do is trick her into revealing the fact that she’s helped us.”

I paused. That… did make a bit of sense. I wasn’t sure how we were supposed to do that exactly, seeing as she’d been willing to go so far as to torture me without breaking character. But Ajia didn’t know that. Ajia didn’t know half the stuff Starr had done. And I didn’t exactly feel like going into detail on most of it.

“By the way… how did you find out Starr was on Team Rocket?” Ajia asked.

Friggin’ hell. There was just no getting around it, was there?

I exhaled slowly. “She was on the mission to end the Rebellion. Her subordinates killed half the team. The rest of us only escaped because our leader drew them off. I ran into her the following day in Lavender Town, where she was stalking me.”

A sickly, hollow feeling filled my chest, intensifying with each word. Ajia had gone quiet, listening carefully with worried eyes and tight lips. She brought her hands to her mouth and leaned forward with her elbows on her knees.

“…Seriously?” she just said.

Aside from that one word, the silence in the room was so thick it threatened to crush us. Even Pichu had ceased rummaging through Ajia’s bag and peeked out, glancing between the two of us with drooping ears.

“Looking back, I’m pretty sure she was only there to make sure she found me before the others.” That didn’t make it okay, but it was… something. My hands started trembling, and I clenched them shut to make them stop. “Our next mission was going to be freeing Mewtwo. Now we’ll never get to.” Why was I saying any of this. I’d already answered her question—none of this needed to be said.

“Yeah, I’ve heard of Mewtwo,” Ajia said gravely. “Team Rocket’s ultimate weapon.”

“I… kind of made a promise to him—that I’d figure out a way to free him someday. I know it was naïve and stupid, but I meant it at the time.”

At those words, a sly grin made its way across Ajia’s face, and I could practically see the gears turning in her head. “…Don’t count that idea out just yet.”

I furrowed my brow, staring at her in blank confusion. She couldn’t be serious, could she?

“Alright, I’ll bite. What are you planning now?” I said, bemused.

“Nothing too concrete yet…” Her voice trailed off as she whirled around in the desk chair and grabbed her bag from the floor, prompting Pichu to jump to her shoulder. “I’m gonna talk with some friends, see what I can dig up,” she said, retrieving a tablet from her bag and tapping away at it.

I still wasn’t entirely sure what had just happened. Just when I’d thought things were at their most hopeless, Ajia had suddenly gotten some sort of epiphany that could potentially solve everything? I sat there for a good five minutes before realizing that she was probably gonna be at that for a while. No sense just sitting here waiting.

“Alright, while you’re working on that, I’m gonna go… get some new clothes… or something.” I stood up, grabbed the room’s card key and stepped outside, leaving Ajia and Pichu muttering excitedly to each other.

Wandering down the streets of Viridian after all this time was surreal. Granted, it wasn’t like we were staying in an area I was totally familiar with. I was never supposed to wander around north Viridian, and it wasn’t too hard to see why—the streets and buildings were undoubtedly grimier and more worn-down, both from age and vandalism. The area carried a shifty feel, like it was the sort of place that would have made me feel uncomfortable five months ago. But in spite of that, it still held a tangible air of familiarity. The same sky. The same cool breezes carried down from the highlands to the west. The same shadows cast by the sun slipping behind Mt. Silver.

I could have stopped at home if I wanted to. Even if I’d already decided I couldn’t stay there, and had to keep moving—just to visit… But I couldn’t risk giving away how badly things had gone. And I still hadn’t held up my end of the bargain and gotten a license yet. No matter what, I had to do that first.

I managed to track down a thrift shop and get a pair of jeans and a spare t-shirt for less than 1000 pyen. Even that was pushing it on what I could afford, but with most of my clothes burned up in Midnight Stadium, I didn’t have much of a choice.

Night had fallen by the time I returned to the Pokécenter. I tapped the card key to our door’s scanner and entered the room to see Ajia and Pichu in exactly the same spot I’d last seen them. I’d have guessed that neither of them had moved while I was gone, although a few half-eaten boxes of Hoennese take-out scattered around the room implied otherwise.

“Hey Jade, grab some food if you want, we’re just about done here,” Ajia said without looking up from her tablet.

I dropped my shopping bag to the ground and settled back against one of the beds with a box of noodles. I didn’t have to wait long. No more than five minutes later, Ajia rotated in her chair, facing me with a wide grin.

“Alright. I think we’ve got it,” she said dramatically.

Pichu jumped onto her trainer’s head and spread her paws to the side for emphasis. I sat up straight, setting down the noodles and focusing all my attention on them. Time to finally learn what this was all about.

“Figuring out the part with Starr—that’s easy,” she said, waving a hand to the side. “The hard part is how we set up the trap in our favor, and how to make sure that we’re all able to escape afterward.”

I nodded. “Right.”

“That’s where Mewtwo comes in.”

I put a hand to my face, still feeling embarrassed about bringing that up. I knew it was an unrealistic goal.

“I found out something interesting,” Ajia went on. “Moltres and Articuno are typically managed by a pair of Legendary handlers who are also top combat unit executives. But ever since the last Legendary mission, Mewtwo has belonged to the boss himself. He actually keeps its Pokéball on his person at all times.”

I blinked. “Whoa. Really?”

“The other important thing I found out is how the Legendary control technology works,” Ajia said, grinning slyly. I raised both eyebrows, intrigued. How on earth had she gotten her hands on that info?

“It’s different from what Team Rocket has done with their experiments in the past,” she explained. “The others just had a chip implanted into them which communicated with a device that the experiment handlers kept on them at all times. But the Legendaries’ energy signatures were way too strong for that. Once they figured out how to make a chip that wouldn’t be overloaded, it had to be shielded so much that it could barely communicate with any external devices. They managed to pull it off with some big and powerful machinery, but it wasn’t a long-term solution. Without a perfect resonance with the Legendary’s energy signature, they’d adapt to the signal and become resistant over time.”

Right… that made sense, from what I had seen at the birds mission. But what about the attack on Midnight Island? The Rockets wouldn’t have been able to transport that kind of machinery to the island, would they?

“Wanna know the secret? They modified their Pokéballs to contain the same hardware as the devices that the experiment handlers kept. It’s perfect—the link between a Pokémon and its Pokéball is the only way to get a signal that will perfectly match.”

I raised an eyebrow. “How does that help us?”

“It means that destroying a Legendary’s Pokéball will not only free it from capture… it’ll free its mind, too.”

I gaped at her. No way. That’s all we had to do? Granted, once I’d taken more than a second to think about it, that didn’t seem quite so easy. After all, the boss had personal ownership of Mewtwo. He’d hardly allow us to walk up and take the clone’s Pokéball.

I took a deep breath. “Okay… so we need to get the boss involved in this… that’s the only way we’re getting access to Mewtwo.”

“Right. So combine this with the other idea—we get Starr to reveal that she helped rebels. Now imagine she does it in front of the boss.”

My jaw dropped.

“There’s no way he’d be able to overlook that level of treachery from a head executive, let alone her. Then, in the midst of all the Rocket drama, we steal Mewtwo’s Master Ball, destroy it, and escape with Starr while Mewtwo wreaks havoc.” A wild grin had spread across her face, and her eyes were lit with a level of excitement I’d never seen from her—and that was saying something. In a weird way, her absolute confidence that we could pull this off was almost intimidating.

“So here’s the plan…”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My heart pounded as we descended the elevator into the Viridian HQ once more. We’d gone over the plan a dozen times. I’d had all last night and all morning to psyche myself up for what we were about to do. Ajia was 100% confident, and her confidence was downright infectious. But even with all that, I was still an anxious ball of nerves, and nothing could change that.

We emerged from the elevator and set off. Our first goal: wrecking the anti-teleport field surrounding the base. That would be our ticket out of here when our mission was done, plus it was the only way for us to bail early if things got too dicey. To do that, however, we had to get into the primary control room. In other words, the most important room in the entire base, save for maybe the boss’s personal office. This was so far beyond anything I’d done on the Rebellion, and considering the mess I’d caused when I freed Chibi, that was saying something.

Ajia led the way through the commons, down a hallway adjacent to the office division, one that I had never properly explored. I kept my hand on my Pokéball belt the entire time, half expecting every Rocket we walked past to suddenly lunge at us. It felt so incredibly obvious that we were up to no good, and part of me was amazed that half the base hadn’t already felt an aura of intended sabotage from us. But we looked just like any other Rockets, and we had working IDs to match. Nothing would give us away until we did anything.

“This is it,” Ajia whispered, and my heart jumped into my throat. Already? It felt like we’d just left the Pokécenter, and now we were already here?

The two of us stood in front of a large black door with thick metal hinges and a computerized lock. No way to get through something like this without admin rights, which neither of us currently had. We’d have to break in. From this moment on, the base would be on high alert. With a smooth, subtle motion, Ajia retrieved a Pokéball and opened it. The light took the shape of her Umbreon, whose eyes flashed red the moment he appeared.

“Your turn,” she said.

Right—I was the one in charge of getting us through the door. I was the one who had to kick all of this off. One last mission. One last blow against the Kanto force before escaping to Johto. After this, I’d be free.

I released Stygian. The dark-type appeared in a flash of light, glancing around wordlessly and then nodding.

No turning back now.

The Absol drew herself back, the blade on her head glowing before she swung it into the lock with a heavy metallic crunch. Once, twice, three times the blade gouged through computer chips and mechanical parts until finally the latch clattered to the ground. The base alarm instantly started blaring. We’d known that was going to happen—I ignored it and threw open the door, and our group rushed into the control room all at once. We found ourselves inside a massive black-walled space—part server room, with massive computer towers covered in flickering lights and a jungle of cables—and part security station, with an entire wall of monitors displaying video feed of every division in the base. But none of that was important. What was important was the squad of guards at the control panel who had just rotated in their seats to face us, gaping in disbelief.

Ajia didn’t even have to say anything. She just swung her bag down from her shoulder and out leaped Pichu. Time slowed. The Rockets drew their firearms and Stygian dutifully raised a Protect in front of us. And then Pichu shot forward as nothing more than an electric blur, zipping from one Rocket to the next faster than my eye could follow. Flashes of sparks and strings of electricity shot out from each impact, one after the other, followed by garbled cries and bodies slumping to the floor.

Pichu slowed to a stop in an instant, twitching her oversized ears. The mouse then jerked her attention to the right and shot off once more, into the server maze. I caught several more flashes of light before the electric-type rushed back to us.

“*That’s all of them in here. More are coming down the hall, though.*”

I couldn’t help staring. I’d seen feats of raw electric power from Chibi, but never anything even remotely close to the speed and precision that Pichu had just displayed. Couldn’t focus on that, though—we didn’t have much time before this room would be swarming with more Rockets than we could ever handle.

“The field generator should be this way,” Ajia said, walking off towards some of the larger machinery and gesturing for me to follow her. She stopped in front of a large device—at least eight feet tall and topped with a glossy black dome surrounded by antennae—before pacing back and forth in front of it, looking it up and down. “I’m pretty sure this is it,” she said, folding her arms.

I raised an eyebrow. “Pretty sure?”

She flashed a grin at me and shrugged. “Well, we won’t know for sure until we take it out, will we?”

Fair enough. In any case, while Pichu could’ve just zapped it, we were better off not doing anything that might cause an explosion with us in the room. Which meant Stygian was up again. The dark-type stepped forward, claws clacking against the floor tiles, and lit her blade once more. She then lunged forward, slicing clean through the wires and cables trailing out of the machine with repeated swings until none were left unsevered.

Ajia paused with a look on her face like she was straining to hear something. Then her eyes lit up, and her face split into an excited grin. “Alright, we did it! The field is down.”

“What, really?” I asked, raising an eyebrow. I couldn’t hear anything over the sound of the full-blast fans on the server towers.

“Yep. Time for phase two.” Ajia shot a quick glance at her Umbreon, and he nodded, eyes flickering red for a second. She then pulled out a Pokéball, and in a shimmering flash, her Espeon appeared in front of her.

Now for the part I was least enthusiastic about. Throwing ourselves headlong into danger was one thing, but relying on the experiments to cause a commotion to draw the team away from us was an entirely different thing. I exhaled deeply, then grabbed Aros’s Pokéball to release the bug-dragon alongside Stygian.

“So you guys know what you’re doing, right?” I asked.

“*Leading with Double Team and then alternating between Faint Attack and Protect,*” Aros replied in a bored tone.

Double Team alone would make them a nightmare to hit, but with the addition of the other two moves, it’d be almost impossible for the Rockets to get them. Probably.

“*You still haven’t explained how this diversion is going to help you free Mewtwo,*” Stygian said bluntly.

I hadn’t told them about the Starr portion of the mission. I’d decided it would be better to open that can of worms after we escaped. If I told them now, the response would definitely be a universal ‘are you insane?’ and it would be easier to refute that after Starr was off Team Rocket.

“It’s complicated,” I said. “Just promise me you’ll watch out for each other.”

The Absol rolled her eyes. “*No need to be so sappy.*”

I kneeled beside Espeon and clipped both clones’ Pokéballs to the makeshift collar around the fox’s neck. When things went bad, which they definitely would, the plan was for Espeon to recall them and teleport back to Ajia. That at least made me feel a little bit better.

Ajia reached into her bag and started pulling out multicolored bottles, handing them to me one after another. Temporary battle enhancements—X Attack, X Speed, and the like. Apparently Ajia had grabbed them from a Rocket storehouse a few months ago. We unscrewed the lids and started holding out pills for the two clones. Taking battle enhancements was hardly a new experience for them—they gulped the pills down without even flinching.

Out of nowhere, Pichu cried, “*They’re almost here!*”

I jolted. “Alright, go now!” I yelled, pointing out the door.

None of them needed telling twice. Aros bolted forward, tearing a good-sized chunk out of the doorway with his claws as he did. Stygian rushed after him, her form already blurring into multiple copies of herself with a Double Team. Espeon wasn’t far behind them. Almost immediately, I heard shouting and firing and attacks crashing against walls and all the chaos one would expect to hear from rogue experiments loose inside a major base.

Ajia stuffed the bottles back into her bag and then held it open for Pichu to jump back inside before pivoting on her heels and motioning to me. “Come on, the experiments won’t be able to distract them forever.” But there was still one Pokémon unaccounted for.

“Wait, what about Umbreon?” I asked, glancing at the dark fox.

“I like to keep him out during missions. For luck,” she said, winking.

I stared. Wouldn’t he be kind of noticeable? Maybe we wouldn’t be the only Rockets with Pokémon out now that the base was on high alert? But still?

Ajia was already heading for the door. Alright then, she’d gotten us this far—I just had to trust her.

Outside the control room, the clones had already torn a hole clear through the wall and detoured into a different hallway. That way the path we’d taken to get to the control room wouldn’t turn into a firing zone. Combat unit agents raced past us, and my stomach twisted into knots. But they completely ignored us. Didn’t even glance our way. Sure, we were in uniform, and the experiments were a little bit more conspicuous, but I’d been expecting at least a few Rockets to notice us or call us out as rebels or attack us or something.

We raced down the hallway back toward the commons, which were now frighteningly empty compared to five minutes ago. Guards remained at their posts, but everyone on the combat unit had taken off to corner the experiments. I couldn’t help feeling like all eyes were on us as we crossed the area, making our way toward the entrance to the transport hangar. But no one confronted us. No one said anything. I shouldn’t have been bothered by the fact that things were going better than expected, but I was. Why were things going so well? What was going on?

Before I knew it, we’d already made it to our destination—we were now standing in the middle of a vast concrete space half-filled with trucks and jeeps. I paused to catch my breath, keeping my eyes glued to the entrance, still half-expecting a squad to burst in and demand to know why we weren’t with the others.

In any case, I knew what my next task was. It hadn’t exactly been hard to locate Starr, or rather Astrid, in the Team Rocket agent directory on my R-com. I brought up her number in my contact list and then, feeling like an idiot, snapped a photo of myself and Ajia standing in the transport hangar. If that didn’t get her to separate from the other Rockets and come running straight to us, nothing would.

“I just messaged the boss,” Ajia said. “I wrote, ‘In five minutes, there will be an incident in the transport division that you’ll want to see. Your head executive is going to betray you.’”

It was almost funny how matter-of-fact that was. She’d just text messaged the leader of Team Rocket. That was a thing you could do.

“Course, that means I won’t be able to use this Rocket ID ever again when this is done, but…”—she smiled distantly—“well, it’s worth it.”

My R-com vibrated suddenly. Well, that sure hadn’t taken long. I tapped the screen and was met with a text reading, “Wtf are you two doing there?!”

“You’ll have to come here to find out,” I typed back. Almost immediately, I received a reply consisting of a near-keyboard mash of incoherent swearing.

I winced and pocketed the device again. “I think I got her attention.”

Now all we had to do was wait for the real mission to begin. Everything else was just setup. This was what it was really about. Confronting Starr. Confronting the boss. Saving Mewtwo. My heart pounded uncomfortably in my chest. Seconds dragged by like minutes. I couldn’t stop glancing at my watch, expecting more time to have passed.

And then Starr appeared at the entrance to the hanger. She froze the instant she saw us, staring with a mixture of rage and disbelief.

“Hey, you made it!” Ajia called out, waving to her. “Come on over, we’ve got a lot to talk about.”

Starr shook her head to regain herself before charging towards us, fists clenched. “Stop acting like you know me! Someone will hear!” she hissed.

“No one’s here, that’s why we sent the rest of the team on a wild experiment chase,” Ajia said, waving a hand dismissively.

“There are still cameras!” she shrieked. “Get out of here now or we’re all dead!”

Ajia folded her arms. “Nah, I think we’re gonna stay right here.”

Starr’s face lit up with fury, and before I knew what was happening, she had whipped out a Pokéball to release her Raichu. I froze. Not the Raichu. She wasn’t seriously going to—? Sparks leaped off its cheeks and I screwed my eyes shut, desperately trying to brace myself for it even as panic shot through my veins. But then I heard paws strike the ground near me and the crash of lightning against lightning. Seconds passed. The pain didn’t come. Slowly, I opened my eyes a crack, then widened them fully when I saw Pichu standing firm with her back to us, cheeks sparking.

“Was that really necessary?” Ajia asked, her voice uncharacteristically harsh.

“Yes, it was,” Starr answered coldly, tilting her head down so that the brim of her hat covered her face. “Now I’m only gonna ask this once. Why are you here?”

“To prove that you can’t play both sides forever,” Ajia said simply.

Starr took a step backward, eyes widening. “…What?”

“You can’t be loyal to Team Rocket and help its enemies at the same time. So if you’re gonna have to choose eventually, why not leave before they find out?”

Starr glowered at us. “I wouldn’t have to choose if you two didn’t keep pulling this rebel crap.”

“Do you expect us to just ignore all the things that you’ve done?” I asked, clenching my fists.

“Do you have any idea how much easier it would’ve been to just tell myself I didn’t know either of you?!” she shouted, her eyes now wide and frantic.

I folded my arms. “You wouldn’t have to do that if you weren’t working for a group that wants to murder us.”

“Stop acting like it’s that simple! Team Rocket is all I have!”

“It wouldn’t have to be,” Ajia said exasperatedly. “You’ve already proven that you haven’t completely changed. So come with us, before they find out you’ve helped us in the past.”

Starr took another step backward. And for the first time throughout all of this, a shadow of doubt had fallen across her face. She clenched her teeth, glancing back and forth uncertainly.

“No…” she said slowly and shakily. “I can’t and I won’t!” Her Raichu nodded fervently and shot out a wave of sparks.

And then a voice rang out over the PA speakers. A deep, commanding voice tinged with cold amusement: “Well this certainly is an interesting turn of events, isn’t it?”

Starr froze in horror and swore repeatedly under her breath. Ajia made eye contact with me, and the tiniest trace of a grin crossed her face. One more thing had gone right. The boss had seen and heard everything.

“Two rebels and a double agent, very interesting indeed. But with such a unique situation as this, I think I know the perfect solution. All combat unit agents will proceed to the transport hangar. Leave the experiments—they were only a diversion.” And with that, the speakers fell silent.

Starr immediately rounded on us with a horrified expression. “You told the boss?!

I flinched. “We… might have done that, yeah.”

“Why?!”

“When I asked if the boss wouldn’t mind if he knew what you’d done,” Ajia said carefully, “I’m guessing the answer is no?”

Starr opened her mouth like she was about to speak, but then suddenly froze with her mouth hanging open. For several seconds, she didn’t say anything; she just stared at us, gears turning in her head. “You were trying to turn them against me,” she said quietly. “That’s the only reason you’re here.”

Ajia smiled weakly. “Aw man… I didn’t think you’d figure it out so soon.”

Starr gaped at the both of us, shaking her head in total disbelief. “I can’t. Believe. I actually cared about you two!” she yelled, pointing forward and signaling for her Raichu to attack. The orange mouse gave an impatient cry and jumped in front of her, yellow cheek pouches already sparking. Without wasting a second, Pichu dashed forward, readying a Thunderbolt of her own and launching it at the same instant Raichu did. The two bolts collided in midair, shooting out waves of sparks and strings of lightning in all directions.

“You want to keep testing my loyalty?!” Starr yelled. “Fine! Then be ready for me to prove you wrong!”

~End Chapter 24~

I know I’ve introduced a metric butt-ton of mysteries and coincidences and weird things surrounding Ajia, but they’re not going to remain mysterious for very long, trust me. In the meantime, speculate away.

~Chibi~

Last edited:

Sike Saner

Peace to the Mountain
Right—I was the one in charge of getting us through the door. I was the one who had to kick all of this off. One last mission. One last blow against the Kanto force before escaping to Johto. After this, I’d be free.

Fate = tempted. :B

In any case, I knew what my next task was. It hadn’t exactly been hard to locate Starr, or rather Astrid, in the Team Rocket member directory on my R-com. I brought up her number in my contact list and then, feeling like an idiot, snapped a photo of myself and Ajia standing in the transport hangar. If that didn’t get her to separate from the other Rockets and come running straight to us, nothing would.

“I just messaged the boss,” Ajia said. “I wrote, ‘In five minutes, there will be an incident in the transport division that you’ll want to see. Your head executive is going to betray you.’”

It was almost funny how matter-of-fact that was. She’d just text messaged the leader of Team Rocket. That was a thing you could do.

“Course, that means I won’t be able to use this Rocket ID ever again when this is done, but…”—she smiled distantly—“well, it’s worth it.”

My R-com vibrated suddenly. Well, that sure hadn’t taken long. I tapped the screen and was met with a text reading, “Wtf are you two doing there?!”

“You’ll have to come here to find out,” I typed back. Almost immediately, I received a reply consisting of a near-keyboard mash of incoherent swearing.

I winced and pocketed the device again. “I think I got her attention.”

I think I already implied that I Approve Muchly of this bit on Discord, but yeah. Love it. :D

I can't get over how cute Pichu and Espeon are together, help. Just. The swift fight. The telekinetic shenanigans and Pichu's understandably (and adorably) cross reaction. Help.

(I wonder if they're soon to be separated. Permanently. Horrifically. Because of course I wonder such a thing. :B)

Also: the "Cerluean incident". Do I even want to know? XD At any rate, I love that. Stories within stories, half-hiding between the lines. :D

Hella cliffhanger at the end. ****'s definitely about to Go Down, and possibly to go pear-shaped. Probably. Probably about to go pear-shaped. In the meantime I'll be wondering just what sort of pear we're talking about here. My guess: a very juicy one, in terms of psychological fallout and possibly also blood 'n' such. 8D

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
>>Chatlog between K0508151 'Tetra' and J0208243 'Sakari' on 10/30/2998

>Tetra: Hey I'm calling in a favor.
>Sakari: Tetra?
>Sakari: still using that old codename?
>Sakari: whatcha need
>Tetra: Can you keep a secret from Sebastian?
>Sakari: depends on the secret
>Tetra: The kind of thing he'll be happy to find out about when it's done.
>Sakari: you're gonna need to be a little more specific
>Tetra: I want to free Mewtwo.
>Sakari: holy shit what
>Tetra: Can you help me?
>Sakari: wait seriously?
>Sakari: what makes you think you can pull that off when we haven't been able to?
>Tetra: Long story, I've got a way to get in a personal confrontation with the boss.
>Sakari: ???
>Tetra: I need to know how the Legendary control works.
>Sakari: see that's kind of a trade secret
>Tetra: You know I could figure it out sooner or later.
>Tetra: Sooner just means I'll use it against Giovanni and not you guys.
>Sakari: ha, try using it against us, you'll find it won't work
>Tetra: ?
>Tetra: I'm not even gonna ask
>Tetra: So can you help me or not
>Sakari: ...
>Sakari: ok fine
>Sakari: gimme a sec
>Sakari: alright, I'm sending some files over
>Sakari: all the IP's been wiped but what's left might be useful

>>Sending 12140112.zip
>>File sent

>Tetra: This is perfect.
>Tetra: Remember, this stays between us.
>Sakari: whatever
>Sakari: you pull this off I don't even think he'll care where you figured out how to do it
>Sakari: but seriously how are you gonna pull this off
>Tetra: It involves Z
>Sakari: Z?
>Sakari: no one knows about him still?
>Tetra: And I plan to keep it that way.
>Sakari: cool cool
>Sakari: but, uh, one last thing
>Sakari: why's this all coming out of nowhere
>Sakari: what's this really about
>Tetra: Starr
>Sakari: ...
>Sakari: oh this is gonna be GOOD isn't it?
>Sakari: can't wait to see the footage

>>delete chatlog? Y/N
>>Y
>>admin credentials required:
>>********
>>chatlog deleted

Lexx reclined in his office chair, arms crossed behind his head and a wide grin plastered over his face. Ajia never ceased to amaze. He did have half a mind to tell Sebastian what her plans were, just because it would be entertaining if nothing else. But there was no need to go back on his word—he did value her trust, after all.

Besides… if all went well, they’d both be seeing the footage rolling in from Viridian tomorrow…

Last edited:

Negrek

Lost but Seeking
And another old friend returns! I'm kind of surprised Jade never tried to contact Ajia earlier, or at least thought about doing so--I get not actually going through with it, but it's another case where it seems kind of odd that Jade never even thinks about this person she's supposedly so close to and whose contact info she actually has. Ajia's the kind of bright, bubbly personality we haven't been seeing too much of recently (given that Rudy's totally traumatized now), which is kind of a nice contrast to most of the other characters at this point. This was overall a much more upbeat, humorous chapter than we've got recently. Pichu and Espeon playing was a seriously adorable scene, in particular the part where Espeon grabbed Pichu with telekinesis. A nice break from some of the heavier stuff we've been seeing, not that heavy stuff is bad by any means.

It was also interesting to see Jade kind of shrink back into the role of follower once Ajia got rolling with her plans for confronting Astrid. She really still has those self-confidence problems and doesn't really trust herself to know what to do, doesn't she? All that time she was sitting there like, "Well Ajia's plan seems kind of wacky, but she's super confident about it so I guess it'll work." Super unfortunate, I think, because I spent most of the chapter going, "OH AJIA NO."

Obviously there's something more to Ajia and Starr's relationship that Jade doesn't know about--they've definitely been in contact since Starr joined TR. Some of Ajia's behavior must be down ot that. I still had to cringe when she showed up and started basically teasing Starr about feeling trapped in her loyalty to Team Rocket, like oh my God, Ajia, did you fail Friendship 101? If you're worried about your friend who joined some weird cult and want to get them to quit, you don't start antagonizing them about why they haven't left yet! If your friend's in an abusive relationship, you definitely don't construct an elaborate and highly dangerous plot to make her boyfriend hit her so she'll realize he's totally wrong for her and break up with him! You don't want to make her your enemy, but Ajia's behavior this chapter seems like it would have to do just that. Especially considering Starr's father, whom she no doubt has all kinds of complicated feelings towards, is the head of freaking Team Rocket! Jade doesn't know yet in this version I don't think, but given the amount of information Ajia seems to have access to I don't know how she could not. And then she decides she's going to throw herself and Jade right into the middle of that mess! OH AJIA NO.

So yeah, I wasn't at all surprised by Starr's reaction at the end of the chapter, and I don't see this particular mission ending well for Ajia and Jade. Whether or not they somehow manage to free Mewtwo, I doubt Starr's going to see the light, and at worst I think this whole episode would drive her even closer to Team Rocket.

Some primarily-typo notes:

“So that day, at the place crash… you knew that was her?”
*plane crash

Why the hell hadn’t I been travelling with Ajia all this time.
Question mark?

Upon hearing Ajia’s call, however, they bolted over to us, neck-in-neck until Ajia held up a Pokéball and the yellow mouse instantly skidded to a halt.
It's "neck-and-neck," not "neck-in-neck."

“Only if you stay in there,” she said, sliding her backpack from her shoulders.
Get back in the bag Nebby Pichu!

“What? I don’t what?” I asked, scowling at her.
...know that Ajia is also a member of TR?

“What the hell are you trying to say.”
Another question mark?

She’s trapped. She’ll never admit it, but it’s obvious there are a ton of things she hates about being a Rocket. She’s just had to ignore all of them in order to stay alive. It really is the same as the other ex-Rockets I’ve known.
I know an ex-Rocket who has that problem. Maybe Ajia can hook him up with whatever her vague "help" is?

Even Pichu has ceased rummaging through Ajia’s bag and peeked out, glancing between the two of us with drooping ears.
*had ceased

Even if I’d already decided couldn’t stay there, and had to keep moving...
...I'd already decided I couldn't...

They modified their Pokéballs to contain the same hardware from the devices that the experiment handlers kept.
The same hardware as, I think.

Sure, we were in uniform, and the experiments were a little bit more conspicuous, but I’d been expecting at least a few Rockets to notice us or call us out as rebels or attack us or something.
lol, yeah, same. With the way things got increasingly suspicious with the continued lack of people around as they got even farther into the base, I have to wonder whether somebody got wind of their plan and tipped the base off somehow. At first I was thinking it might have been Astrid herself, figuring that if Jade and Ajia were showing up to bother her they'd probably pull some kind of stunt. She seemed genuinely surprised to see them, though. Given the extra, perhaps it was Lexx, messing with their plan? One way or another, you'd think by now TR would recognize the flygon/absol experiments as a sign that Jade's around and know that they should be on the lookout rather than focusing solely on the pokémon.

Regarding the extra, Lexx is Starr's brother iirc. (Their parents need to put the consonants down and back away slowly, I swear. Giovanni, what were you thinking?) Obviously, he's a Rocket too--I wonder what his relationship's like with Starr? Can't tell from this little conversation whether he's smug because he's hoping Ajia's finally going to get through to Starr and talk her out of staying in Rocket, or because he knows Ajia's plan is going to cause big problems for her and thinks it's hilarious. That's what siblings are for! Also, nice callback, making Ajia's handle "tetra."

Anyway, this was a fun chapter. I'll just be over here facepalming at Ajia forever. I look forward to seeing where their confrontation with Starr goes and how Mewtwo ends up playing into everything.

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
@Sike Saner:

Hella cliffhanger at the end. ****'s definitely about to Go Down, and possibly to go pear-shaped. Probably. Probably about to go pear-shaped. In the meantime I'll be wondering just what sort of pear we're talking about here. My guess: a very juicy one, in terms of psychological fallout and possibly also blood 'n' such. 8D
There absolutely will be psychological fallout. >:3

@Negrek:

I'm kind of surprised Jade never tried to contact Ajia earlier, or at least thought about doing so--I get not actually going through with it, but it's another case where it seems kind of odd that Jade never even thinks about this person she's supposedly so close to and whose contact info she actually has.
This is prooooobably because I am garbage at keeping in contact with people in real life. :X And while I can say that Jade was just super distracted with being on the Rebellion and such, I definitely could have her bring up Ajia more often (as it stand right now, she only thinks about her in Chapters 6 and 9.)

It was also interesting to see Jade kind of shrink back into the role of follower once Ajia got rolling with her plans for confronting Astrid. She really still has those self-confidence problems and doesn't really trust herself to know what to do, doesn't she?
Heh, glad you noticed that. But I should point out that it was only a minor relapse--one fueled less by negative views of herself and more by the aforementioned hero-worship. It take a little more time for her to break free of that submissive nature completely.

Obviously there's something more to Ajia and Starr's relationship that Jade doesn't know about--they've definitely been in contact since Starr joined TR. Some of Ajia's behavior must be down ot that. I still had to cringe when she showed up and started basically teasing Starr about feeling trapped in her loyalty to Team Rocket, like oh my God, Ajia, did you fail Friendship 101? If you're worried about your friend who joined some weird cult and want to get them to quit, you don't start antagonizing them about why they haven't left yet! If your friend's in an abusive relationship, you definitely don't construct an elaborate and highly dangerous plot to make her boyfriend hit her so she'll realize he's totally wrong for her and break up with him! You don't want to make her your enemy, but Ajia's behavior this chapter seems like it would have to do just that. Especially considering Starr's father, whom she no doubt has all kinds of complicated feelings towards, is the head of freaking Team Rocket! Jade doesn't know yet in this version I don't think, but given the amount of information Ajia seems to have access to I don't know how she could not. And then she decides she's going to throw herself and Jade right into the middle of that mess! OH AJIA NO.
:) :) :)

So first of all, I love your analysis of Ajia. However, while Starr is indeed a victim in all of this (and the abusive relationship analogy is a pretty good one) that doesn’t take into consideration that Starr has, well… done a lot of awful, awful **** to both Ajia and Jade. Jade’s arguably gotten the worst of it (the torture), but that’s only because Jade was in a more vulnerable position throughout most of this (seeing as Ajia was already an ace trainer before she started fighting Team Rocket). I’d say they’ve both probably been targeted about equally. (Let’s just say, Ajia was definitely a lot more patient and considerate the last time this happened, but Starr crossed a few moral event horizons.) So it’d be a little bit weird for them to approach this in a 100% patient and sympathetic manner the way you would with someone who is unambiguously the victim.

Hey, what was it you said in the Salvage thread? “How do you balance holding someone responsible for their actions against recognizing they had few other options?” I had to smile at that because that’s a pretty big theme here too. ;)

But yes, Ajia is 100% the type of character who will look at a situation and go “hey, I know how to fix this in a way that will improve everyone’s lives and make them happier” and will then cheerfully go ahead and do it without stopping to ask anyone’s permission. On the one hand, this makes her frighteningly quick and effective at solving problems. On the other hand… you’re gonna be in for a trip whether you like it or not. xD She genuinely means well, but tends to only look at the big picture, and overlooks the details. As opposed to Jade, who fixates on the small details and never looks at the big picture.

With the way things got increasingly suspicious with the continued lack of people around as they got even farther into the base, I have to wonder whether somebody got wind of their plan and tipped the base off somehow. One way or another, you'd think by now TR would recognize the flygon/absol experiments as a sign that Jade's around and know that they should be on the lookout rather than focusing solely on the pokémon.
Oh, they definitely knew rebels were around and were totally on the lookout. The fact that no one seemed to notice Jade and Ajia is highly suspicious.

Regarding the extra, Lexx is Starr's brother iirc. (Their parents need to put the consonants down and back away slowly, I swear.
You wanna know something funny? Both Starr and Lexx were named by two different people, neither of whom were me! xD So it’s totally a coincidence!

Can't tell from this little conversation whether he's smug because he's hoping Ajia's finally going to get through to Starr and talk her out of staying in Rocket, or because he knows Ajia's plan is going to cause big problems for her and thinks it's hilarious.
The latter. Absolutely. Lexx is a smug troll and he particularly delights at how easy it is to get under her skin. Sadly, we won’t be seeing a proper introduction for him until all the way in Chapter 33, but I can already say that his interactions with Starr are gonna be a lot of fun.

I’m glad you both enjoyed Espeon in this chapter. Espeon is pretty important to this arc, so I thought it was important to give it some fun screentime. ^^ And it's too early to give any next chapter estimates, however, I can say that Chapter 25 is my favorite chapter in Book 1, and my second favorite in the entire fic, so that should hopefully give some idea of how excited I am to be writing it.

~Chibi~;249;;448;

Last edited:

diamondpearl876

Chapter 23

Rudy hadn’t thought so and I hadn’t cared and now he was dead and no one could fix that and I was completely not in the mood to deal with Firestorm’s stupid strength obsession. Even though I was his trainer, it was my job to deal with it, but damn it, not now. Later. I’d deal with it later.

You know, Jade's behavior toward Firestorm has slowly transformed to how Rudy treated Wartortle. Not completely, but enough. According to Firestorm, Jade's been ignoring his training, and Firestorm might fall behind in terms of strength just like Wartortle did. I wonder what that means for Firestorm in the future, if I'm right? Nothing good, probably.

“I… guess that makes sense?” Aros nodded in a self-satisfied way, like he’d sure showed me.

I really like the contrast between the experiments sort of being part of Jade's team and the non-experiments sort of being part of Jade's team. The non-experiments are so carefree and it really serves to emphasize the situation the experiments have been put through.

“*As far as humans go, you’re not absolutely terrible,*” she offered.

I smiled weakly. “Thanks.” That might have been the nicest thing she’d ever said to me.

Lol, that's the nicest thing, huh? XD I can believe it, but it's not so resassuring!

I recalled all my Pokémon except for Aros, who didn’t have a Pokéball (I would need to get one for him at some point) before wandering toward the hallway to the lobby.

Yeah, pokeballs can be helpful when everyone around you is getting shot. >_> Definitely should be a priority if she's gonna head to Johto. XD

I didn’t look fourteen anymore. And not just because I was turning fifteen in two weeks. There was something else. It felt like I’d lived three years in the past three months, and that fact was plastered all over my face, even though I couldn’t really describe why.

Like this description a lot. Poor Jade. :C She's been through a lot (and the fic's not even over yet, lmao).

I could travel around and stay at any Pokécenter I wanted and not have to worry about getting sent home and having my Pokémon taken. I could head to Johto where the Kanto Rockets were less likely to find me. I could meet up with the Johto Resistance and get their protection.

This fixed everything.

“I’m going to be a real trainer,” I said suddenly, sitting bolt-upright with my eyes wide. “Where’s the closest League office? Probably not here—Saffron, maybe?”

This is a pretty quick transition, but given how desperate and lost Jade feels, it makes enough sense. Not to mention the license issue has been brought up before, so it's not like this is totally out of the blue.

At least now that he was back in his Pokéball, I could have one of the center’s staff heal him.

Question: Jade's worried about people finding out some of her pokemon are experiments lest they be taken away. Do Pokemon Center staff not have the ability/knowledge to realize that her pokemon are experiments?

Five years ago my best friend had suddenly moved away from Viridian with no explanation whatsoever. Now, she was back in my life again, in the form of the person who’d been haunting my nightmares.

The reveal didn't impact me personally because there's been little mention of Starr throughout the fic. Maybe Starr was mentioned more in previous rewrites, but yeah. I thought Jade's surprise was well written, though, and it's exciting how the fic can go a lot of different ways from here due to the revelation.

“Yes. I am a loyal Rocket. And you’d do well to remember that. So stop trying to test whether my loyalty to my friends is greater than my loyalty to my team, got it?! We’re done here!!”

Despite what she's saying, I can tell how conflicted Starr feels with her dialogue. Nicely done.

Chapter 23 Extra

It was amazing how much control she had over their lives.

And yet she couldn’t control the one damn thing that mattered.

She couldn’t think about that now, though. Not where others could see her.

Love this bit. You can definitely tell she feels the pressure of not being able to side with friends, even if she wants to.

She was the ideal Rocket… wasn’t she?

Then why did it hurt so much?

Welp, just rip my heart out with her now, why don't you?

Hope to see more of her soon. This extra from her perspective, timed with the reveal, was well done.