• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Legend's End

Scaldaver

Limitless
Hey, sorry for the wait on this one. Next week I'll be Skiing in Austria, so I won't be able to write or post. Oh, and from now on please PM me the grammar errors.And without further adieu, enjoy!

Chapter 5
Zubat

It faced the great horizontal wall of sedimentary rock. It could feel the ancient power pulsing through the molecules. So close. Its prey was so very close.

The creature focused and started creating the chasm. Somewhere, it detected resistance. Not enough to be a nuisance, but enough for confirmation.

Whatever was down there did not want to be found.

With good reason.

Edward's heart almost leapt into his mouth. The perfectly smooth sphere had never seemed more beautiful. Edward staggered over to the ball and picked it up gently, admiring the complete roundness of the object.

And within, of course, his key to battling invincibility.

Euphoria and excitement suddenly built up, and Edward found himself whooping and punching the air.

“Yes!” he yelled. “Did you see that, Mudkip? You were brilliant! You were really-” Edward's cry was cut short as he saw the mud fish.

He was quaking, his small legs wobbling, struggling under the weight of his body. The laceration on his side was still seeping dark blood. His large eyes were losing their focus. He started to fall.

“No! Mudkip!” Edward roared in horror as his starter Pokemon collapsed to the ground. Shakily, he gripped Mudkip's Pokeball out of his pocket, and recalled it.

He stared at the balls in his two hands. One brought him so much joy, whilst the other terrified him completely. After a second he snapped out of his daze. Mudkip would be fine. Pokeballs acted as a life-support machine. Pokemon trapped inside were basically frozen in time. They felt, they thought and they experienced nothing, unless they were poisoned, of course.

Now comfortable that his water type was fine, Edward grinned triumphantly at the other ball. A Ninjask. His first capture. Then another part of him – Wait until Nuria sees this.

Suddenly Edward found himself running full-pelt back toward the camp-site. Anticipation kept him from getting tired, as well as helping him to manoeuvre around the many trees. Soon he saw the feint outlines of the tents against the bushes and other foliage, and slowed his pace. As he entered the clearing he made for the little red tent. Looking inside, he couldn't see anything, bar Nuria's unloaded sleeping bag. Edward groaned.

“Because I was here first! Got a problem with that?” Came the scathing growl from the other side of the clearing. Nuria.

He hurried over to the other side, to see Nuria confronting a short, bristling boy in front of the regeneration machine, obviously fighting over who was to use it next. His face was angry, but Nuria's was already beyond livid.

“Says who?” demanded the boy. He had to stand up on his tip-toes to get his face to reach hers. Both had limbs shaking in anger. Edward knew it was time to step in, as he had so many times before. He managed to worm his way betwixt the two, pushing Nuria away, and facing the boy.

“I'm ever so sorry,” he began, as though reciting a well rehearsed script, “for everything she has said and done, she does not mean it, and when she has cooled off she too will apologise.” Nuria hissed behind him, but stopped resisting. The boy too looked significantly less angry. Edward spread his arms out in front of him in a calming gesture.

“Now, use the machine, you'll both apologise, and we will go our separate ways.” Edward felt the tension in the air diffuse as the boy nodded stiffly. He turned to the machine, inserted two Pokeballs and a lime green Pokedex, waited a second then removed them. He caught Edward's eye, then turned to the seething female.

“Sorry,” he mumbled, eyes now on the floor. Edward brought up his leg back and caught Nuria's shin. She hissed again, but too mumbled an apology. The boy walked away, toward the group of tents. Instantly, Nuria turned on him.

“I said it once, I'll say it again – stop babying me!”

Edward could only grin. She'd calm down soon enough. As she walked off to use the machine, a tentative Nurse Joy walked over to him.

“I'm sorry I couldn't be any help. I haven't -” she yawned loudly, “-had any sleep since last night. Anyway, I think I'd better man the restoration machine from now on.” She hobbled over to the side of the bulky machine. Edward could only wonder how she had managed to get the bulky thing there.

Edward saw Nuria walk over to him. She looked sufficiently calmed down.

“Little brat,” she muttered. “Tried to push in.” Edward couldn't help being sceptical. The day Nuria got in a fight she didn't start, the world was sure to implode.

Edward grinned and reached into his pocket. He maximised it and held it out proudly in front of him. Nuria raised her eyebrows.

“Finally,” she said. “So, what is it?”

Edward intensified his grin of superiority.

“You'll see. I've just got to heal it.” He turned toward the Nurse and passed her two Pokeballs.

“It gave Mudkip a nasty slash,” he explained to Nuria. Nurse Joy took the balls, and turned to the machine, blocking his view of the small screen.

“What do you think of my first caught Pokemon, Nurse Joy?” Edward enquired, a note of strained innocence in his voice.

“Well,” Nurse Joy said in sluggish surprise, “this is a very unusual first capture.” Edward grinned as Nuria raised her eyebrows. “Very fast too. Covers Mudkip's weaknesses nicely.” Edward's grin only grew larger and larger. “It's nice to see a trainer who actually trains a Zubat nowadays.”

“Ninjask.” Edward corrected.

“No...” Nurse Joy answered, “It's definitely a Zubat. Ninjask are impossible to catch; they're too fast for Pokeballs.”

“B-but,” stuttered Edward, his chest hollowing, “but, I saw-” Suddenly it all fell into place. He turned cold as realisation coursed through him. Nuria laughed at his gaping mouth.

He hadn't seen Ninjask get caught. Edward played through the scene in his head. Ninjask flew into the tree. The Pokeball followed it into the tree. A screech, a flash of red...

But he hadn't actually seen the process of capturing take place. Shakily, Edward received the Pokeballs and Pokedex the nurse handed to him, and, in autopilot, walked over to the tent. He sat down on the damp grass in front of it, resting the Pokeball on his lap. Nuria came and sat next to him, an ill-concealed grin just trying to infect her entire face.

“Why you so glum?” She asked, nearly breaking into giggles. “What's so bad about Zubats anyway?”

“You know!” Edward shot back, thoroughly irritated.

“Know what?” She asked, her grin slowly growing in size.

“Because...” Edward flailed, lost for words. “Because...Because everybody has a Zubat.”

“Now, that's not true,” Nuria continued, managing to stifle a bark of laughter.

“No!” Edward amended. “It's that everybody everywhere can catch a Zubat, but they don't, because they're so common and they believe that everyone else will catch one!”

“Yeah...Sucks to be you!” and as though waiting for the best opportunity, the laughter came, causing Nuria to roll onto the back, eyes watering, rocking back and forth.

“Thanks a load,” Edward muttered vengefully.

“You – you should have -” She burst into a new fit of giggles, rolling onto her front, kicking the floor. “You should have seen your face,” she giggled, “when she said Zu-Zubat!”

Edward ground his teeth. He rose, leaving Nuria to her maniacal hysterics.

Stomping into the forest, he drew his Pokedex from his pocket. Clicking the Pokeball icon on the top-right hand of the screen, two small Pokemon avatars appeared. The small blue creature resembled Mudkip, whilst the other was such a dark blue and purple that its outline was very hard to make out. He pressed the creature the touch screen.

Suddenly the picture blew up, and Edward saw the dark blue ovoid of a body, the inner of dark purple wings and two tail-like appendages that shot out like spikes at the end. Instead of eyes upon its head were two large, almost conical ears above a gaping, four-fanged mouth. Frustration coursing through his body, he selected it again, and read the information on the screen:

“Name:Zubat.

Type: Flying/Poison

Level -”

Edward almost choked on his gasp.

“Level: 7”

Edward stared confoundedly at the screen. So, not only did he miss out on capturing the fastest Pokemon on Earth, he also missed out catching a level twenty-plus Pokemon and instead had attained a level seven.

“Moves:Leech Life, Supersonic.”

Edward cursed inwardly. Not even a strong move in sight.

He drew the bat's Pokeball from his pocket, mulling over what to do. Release it? The suggestion sounded absurd. What kind of trainer released his second ever Pokemon? He threw the ball gently in his hand, thinking it over.

Zubat were fast, that much he knew. And Nurse Joy was right; it did cover Mudkip's weaknesses quite nicely.

But still, the other part of him groaned, to have such unrivalled speed... And it seemed like fate that he should have caught the Ninjask...

On the other hand, he reasoned, he knew Golbat and Crobat were more hardy than Ninjask. Only a Mud-slap managed to disable the ninja momentarily.

Confidence slowly started to well within him. Sure, Zubat weren't the most unique Pokemon in the world, but unique typing might come in handy... And, according to the nurse, Ninjask were impossible to catch. Edward began to grin. Maybe Zubat wasn't so bad...

Edward threw his new Pokemon's ball into the air, and caught it as it fell. From the ball appeared the Zubat in a glow of white. He flapped quickly and desperately to keep himself airborne. It made a screeching sound, and turned to face Edward. There was a moment of silence, which was then broken like the bat, screeching in its own, high pitched language;

“Bravest and most noble of trainers, pray tell, was it by thine hand I was captured?”

The human was a too startled to reply. Was his Pokemon communication off?

“Noble sir, I beseech thee, didst thou capture me with thine fine hand during my rest?”

Edward nodded shakily. Since when did Zubats appear to speak old-English?

“Jolly good! I commend you, good sir, on thine great intelligence, thine great cunning and nobility! I must apologise most graciously for my poor speech, for we Zubats have rarely chance to communicate with humans as deserving as thineself.”

Edward was lost for words. Sure, talking to Pokemon was a two-way thing. The Pokemon had to have a basic grasp of civilised communication of the listener for humans to be on speaking terms with them. But still, surely Pokemon could be understood without such... specific speech character? Perhaps Zubats don't usually communicate by normal means. Of course, Edward thought, Zubats use echolocation for communication, therefore their normal talk must be... out-dated, especially if they rarely met humans. Edward pondered on how to address it.

“Erm,” he began, “so, it's okay that I caught you while you were sleeping?”

“Why, kind sir, hadst thou caught me any other way I wouldst take you for a simpleton! The element of surprise is one's most advantageous... advantage. Obviously you viewed my magnificent frame from the ground and felt thine desire overtake thee. To demonstrate my humble affection for thee I shalt train with thee.”

“Good.” Edward said, at a loss for any other words. Then he realised the full meaning. “I mean, brilliant! Yeah, I can't wait to train with thee – you – too!” He grinned widely. Somewhere in the back of his mind, however, he jotted down a mental note never to mention the Ninjask to the bat.

“Jolly good, jolly good,” the Zubat muttered. “Know, shall we make battle now or later?”

“Later,” Edward decided. He held up the ball and returned the Zubat. Hands in pockets, he walked back into the clearing. Nuria was in the same place, looking extremely thrilled, but more calmed down. She raised her eyebrows as he approached.

“You look happy. Have you released the Zubat?” She asked.

“Nope.” Edward replied. “I think I'll keep it with me.”

Nuria raised her eyebrows further.

“Seriously? Oh, God, you're serious.” She thought for a second. “Want a Pokemon battle?” She asked.

Edward grinned and shook his head. Did she really take him for an idiot?

“Yeah, that'd be fun. Your Chikorita could Razor Leaf Mudkip to death, and Ralts could-” He broke off. “How's Ralts coming along, actually?”

Nuria grimaced.

“Proving dead hard to train. The best that I've done is made it use Growl against a group of Wurmple while they pounded it with Tackle. It finally learned Confusion, but was too shaken up to use it.” She spat on the floor. “Honestly, what's the point of getting Ralts to level six if it's just gonna fail on me?”

Edward said nothing. She was wound up. He'd forgive her for this lapse in Pokemon respectability for now.

“How about Mudkip versus Ralts? That sounds more fair.”

Nuria grinned, rising.

“Sure.” She narrowed her eyebrows. “What's he doing?”

Edward followed he gaze, and saw the boy from earlier approaching them. When he reached them, he stood straight, rolling his eyes.

“Nurse Joy told me to tell you that the Rustburo Gym Leader is coming here tonight because the north part of the Route 104 has flooded.” He started to walk away.

“Thank you!” Edward called behind him. He nodded, but didn't stop walking away. Edward turned his head back towards Nuria.

“You could have said-”

“Shut your face,” she growled. She thought for a while. “Maybe we should train separately. For the Gym Leader.”

Edward shrugged. Extra training might be useful.

“Yeah,” he said, “It's a rock type gym, isn't it?”

Nuria nodded. Edward smiled. Sure, Zubat would have a problem with that, but Mudkip would take down any rock type thrown at him.

“See you later,” Nuria said, and walked off out of the clearing. Edward rose too, and made off in the other direction out of the clearing. Knowing that Mudkip was a level lower than Zubat, he released the mud fish. After the white glow dispelled, Mudkip stood, eyes drooped, tearful.

“Sorry,” he mumbled, bowing his blue head. Edward raised his eyebrows.

“Sorry? Why are you sorry?”

“Because,” he closed his eyes, a tear rolling down his orange cheek, “I got knocked out by a measly Scratch from a Ninjask. I'm sorry. I don't deserve you.” He collapsed on the floor, sobbing. Edward gaped.

“Don't cry!” Edward demanded, at a loss for anything else to say. After hanging around made-of-bricks Nuria all his life, he hadn't any real experience with crying. He kneeled into sitting down in front of Mudkip, and placed a reassuring hand on his head, next to his fin. He tensed under Edward's touch, but continued to cry. Edward sat down. Mudkip buried his head in Edward's lap.

“I'm – I'm too weak!” Mudkip cried. Edward sighed.

“You realise that was a level twenty-plus Ninjask, and you're, at the moment, only level six?”

The Mudkip nodded shakily, taking shallow, ragged breaths.

“Would you like to train some more?” Edward asked.

Mudkip gasped and shot his head up.

“You'll still have me? You, you won't replace me with Ninjask?”

Edward ginned.

“Of course not. By the way,” he added, “turns out we didn't capture Ninjask. Turns out a Zubat was sleeping in the tree, and...”

Mudkip nodded, visibly more cheerful.

“So, shall we find another battle?”

Mudkip nodded excitedly, together they stood up, and made their way deeper into the forest.

Pokemon Language Explanation Time

There are two main ways in which Pokemon communicate; by their movements and expressions, and by tension on syllables they say out loud (E.g, Pi-KA-chu, ROOaaRRRR!).

Zubats, as a rule, speak to each other in high pitch screeches, too high for humans to hear. So, when they deign to speak our language, they have to revert to using traditional Pokemon-style communication. As Zubats rarely communicate with other species, they very rarely have to talk this way, meaning their speech has not evolved at the same pace others have.

Now, if you can speak a language very well, the only way there can be miscommunication is if the other person speaks in an outdated way. Hence why Zubat appears to speak old English: it is the closest translation to english that it is saying in Pokemon. On top of that, it speaks old English badly, to emphasize it doesn't speak that way often.

Last edited:

overlordmewtwo

Supreme Overlord
Dang it! No Ninjask! Oh well... there's always next time! Good luck on finding that Ninjask and getting "revenge" by catching it, Edward!

And since when could Zubat speak in a human language?!

Last edited:

Scaldaver

Limitless
And since when could Zubat speak in a human language?!

Oops, I guess I should have made it more obvious. It is still speaking Zubat (Screeching noises) but the closest translation is old English. I'll edit it to see how to make it stand out more.

Scaldaver

Limitless
Sorry for the mahoosive delay; I've been soooooo busy. Thanks for your patience. This one's rated PG-13 for violence and mildly violent description. And without further ado...

Chapter 6

Gym Battle

The murderer descended the chasm. Light was non-existent in this part of the ocean, yet it could still see. There pressure was enough to fold any lesser creature.

Time was immaterial. Sooner or later, its goal would be completed.

More Time elapsed. The creature narrowed its eyes.

Infinite miles down, a faint glow of red...

The rest of the morning, and most of the afternoon, was spent training Mudkip and Zubat. Mudkip had managed to take down a Slakoth, three Wurmple and a small group of Poochyena (not at the same time, they agreed to wait whilst Edward healed Mudkip), and thus by the end of the session had reached level eleven, and learned Water Gun. After a brief lunch of soup, Edward started training Zubat.

Zubat was proving slightly more difficult to level up. It wasn't that it couldn't beat any wild Pokemon, on the contrary, it managed to take down more than Mudkip. No, instead it was simply as though the bat needed to take more down to get stronger. So, even though it knocked-out twice as many than Mudkip, it was only raised to level twelve. On top of this, it had learned Astonish, though by the time he had learned the move, Zubat had no enemies which it would be effective on. At the end of the session, Edward met up in the clearing with a rather irate Nuria next to the regeneration machine.

“Stupid Ralts can barely do anything,” she vented. “She starts quaking the second I send her out.”

“What level's she?” Edward enquired. Nuria stuck her tongue out.

“Only level eleven. Not as good as Chikorita, but they're both fairly abysmal.”

Edward's grin froze. “What level's Chikorita?” he asked. Nuria winced.

“Promise not to laugh?” She paused for a moment. “Level fifteen.”

Edward's eyebrows shot up. Fifteen? Nuria grimaced.

“Don't look so high and mighty! What levels are your Pokemon?”

Edward mumbled in reply.

“Sorry?” Nuria asked.

“Eleven and twelve,” he mumbled again. Now it was her turn to raise her eyebrows.

“Seriously? Wow, someone's been slacking off.”

Edward flashed her a look of annoyance.

“It's not my fault!” He defended. “Zubat's really hard to train. It takes him forever to level up.”

“Yeah, yeah, whatever.” Nuria grinned. “The nurse said that the Gym Leader will arrive soon. We've all drawn up a list to see who goes first.” She paused for a moment. “It's first me, then you.” Edward briefly considered how much violence she had to threaten to get her way. He decided not to think about it. Suddenly he realized; he was about to take on his first Gym Leader before he had had a proper battle. He looked over at Nuria. Amazing Nuria with her level fifteen Chikorita. There'd be no way he could beat her at the moment. He looked around the clearing, and was surprised not to see any trainers. They must be training, he thought. Smart them.

“Hey, Nuria, I think I might go out and find some more battles. To train Mudkip,” he explained. Nuria shrugged and walked off out of the clearing.

After quickly healing his Pokemon, Edward hurried out of the clearing into the densely packed forest. He felt his heart beat starting to pop out of his chest as he thought about the battle he was soon to have.

Okay, he thought, what do I know about Gym Leaders? They are themed, this one has rock types. They normally have about three Pokemon each. Edward's heart skipped a beat. How was he going to take on three rock types with only an under-levelled Mudkip and a Zubat? Sure, Zubat's Supersonic was really handy, but still... And even with just Mudkip, there was only so much it could do against three Pokemon...

Edward took the bright pink Pokedex from his pocket. Clicking on a little book icon on the top left hand of the screen. Suddenly a list of all the Pokemon of Hoenn popped up. Edward bit his lip as he slowly scrolled through. What he really needed was a Pokemon which could take out rock types. Lotad? No – he already had a water type. Seedot? That might work. He pressed the Seedot avatar on the screen. It blew up to the acorn shaped Pokemon with two little egg shape feet. He pressed the 'Area' button. Johto. Damn, it must have migrated away in the Shift. He pressed the back button twice. What else?

Wingull? No, he still already had a water type. Surskit? Damn, what's with all the water types? He thought. He continued scrolling. He stopped. Shroomish. Grass type, great against rock types. He clicked it, enlarging the pixelated image to show the light brown mushroom – shaped Pokemon, which had pale green dots on its head and a small brownish skirt of semicircles. Edward grinned. It looked stern, but cool in its own way. He pressed the image; Location: Petalburg Forest. Edward's heart leapt. He could catch Shroomish, raise it a few levels, then easily take out the rock Gym.

He grinned, and was about the slide the Pokedex back into his pocket before he saw something. The small pixelated image of Ninjask at the very bottom. And above it, a smaller, greyer image. Edward maximised the Nincada, enlarging the pale grey body, thin, spindly antennae, large brown claws and small green wings. A bug and ground type.

Edward was torn. On one hand, he could catch Shroomish and almost definitely beat the rock Gym. On the other hand, he could catch a part ground type... which could perhaps know a single ground type move... when he put it like that, the comparison seemed so unfair, but when Nincada evolved...

Edward had an idea. Whichever he saw first, he would catch. Yeah, he'd let fate decide.

Caught up in his thoughts, Edward realised all of a sudden that he was completely lost. Looking around, panicked, he found that he did not recognise where he had come from, or where he was now. He heard a cough behind him. Edward whirled around, and saw the boy from earlier, the boy who had had the blazing argument with Nuria.

“Are you lost?” he asked. Edward nodded. The boy took a few steps forward, grinning. “The camp's over there,” he said, pointing to the right of where he stood, to Edward's left.

“Thanks,” Edward replied. He made to start, and then thought of something.

“I'm sorry, what's your name again?” Edward asked.

The boy smiled.

“James,” he replied. “And yours?”

“Edward,” he said. The two shook hands.

“So, James,” Edward continued, “how well do you know Petalburg Forest?”

“Pretty well,” James replied. “Why?”

“It's just that, well, do you know where there is either a group of Nincada or Shroomish around here?”

James scratched his chin.

“You'll be hard done by to find any wild Shroomish around here,” he said, “because they've been hunted by the recent Murkrow and Honchcrow in the forest. Nincada, on the other hand, are much more common. I know where one of their burrows is. It's not too far from here. I can lead you to it if you want.” The boy started to walk away, motioning Edward to follow.

Edward smiled and followed. Soon they arrived at a small clearing, a small chasm in the middle of the tall grass. Dark grey earth brimmed the chasm, making it resemble a giant mole-hill. Edward could make out the grass faintly rustling. As he started forward, James held an arm out to stop him. Edward looked at him questioningly, and James pointed to the trees.

“Ninjask sentries,” James explained. “They'll attack if you step onto their boundary. Try and tempt one over here if you want to catch one.” He began to walk away, his job now complete. Edward would have thanked him, but his attention was completely focused on the shifting patches of grass. How was he going to attract a Nincada?

“Um,” he called. In front of him the grass became motionless. “I'm a trainer. I'd like to train a Nincada. Any volunteers?”

After a few tentative seconds the grass began to rustle again. The rustling approached him, then, from the grass, popped the grey head of a Nincada. Then another. And another. Edward grinned.

“You are a trainer, yes?” asked the middle Nincada. Edward nodded. “Then I shall join you,” said the Nincada.

“No, I shall become stronger,” said another.

“No, it shall be I,” said the third. Edward raised his eyebrows. Were the Nincadas fighting over him? In front of his very eyes the petty squabble turned into a full-blown argument. The Nincadas began insulting each other, threatening violence. Edward decided it was time to step in.

“Please stop arguing,” Edward moaned. All three of the insects turned to look at him. He half blushed, and continued. “Who here is the strongest. Be honest.”

The Nincadas looked at each other, and one stepped forward. Edward pointed his Pokedex at it. Level 10.

“I am strongest of us three.” The Nincada said, bowing slightly. “I prayed at the alter just yesterday. These two have yet to pray.”

Edward's smile faltered.

“What alter?”

“Us Nincada, we pray at our sacred alter. Once we do this, we can Dig, and expand the colony.”

Edward thought for a while.

“This alter, what does it look like?” Edward asked. The Nincada bowed its head.

“Our most sacred artefact, a disk stolen from humans by our ancestors, rest upon this mound. Once we pray and kiss the disk, we gain our digging ability.”

Edward raised his eyebrows. A TM stolen from humans? A reusable one? Must be from Unova, Edward thought. Until recently, Edward knew, TMs had been of one use only, but since Unova released their TM making secrets to the world, everybody had caught on.

“So, you're level ten and you know Dig. You're perfect.” Edward pulled an empty Pokeball from his pocket, and held it in front of the Nincada. It tapped it with a feeler, turned into red plasma and got absorbed into the ball. It didn't even shake once.

Edward found himself quickly back at the camp. Nuria had beat him there, and glared at him with crossed arms.

“Rocky, the Gym Leader just got here, and I'm about to battle him. You were nearly late.” And with that she walked away. Edward followed, laughing.

"Wait, the Gym Leader's called Rocky? And he has rock type Pokemon? Wow, that's awefully coincidental."

"Shut up, Eddy." Nuria said, "Surely you knew that already? You've lived your whole life in Hoenn. The Gym Leader's children are named after the type of the Pokemon they will raise; it's a tradition of sorts. A stupid tradition, but still tradition."

Edward would have persued the argument, but they had arrived at another clearing, although this one had a chalk square drawn crudely on the floor. A small crowd had formed around the arena. At the opposite of the clearing was a tall, muscular man, wearing a tight sleeveless, brown shirt. He wore ripped brown trousers that showed off his muscular calves. Obscuring his face was a small sheet of paper. He removed it, revealing his round, shaven face. His bald head resembled a smooth pebble.

“Are you Nuria?” The man bellowed across the square. Nuria nodded, reaching into her pocket and drawing out a Pokeball.

“I only have two Pokemon,” Nuria called. “Is that a problem?”

“'Course not,” he bellowed back. “Three versus two it is then!” And before Nuria could respond he threw his Pokeball into the air. From the white glow a near-spherical dark blue ball of rock appeared, a yellow depression in the centre with a black dot in the middle that resembled an eye. Two brown segments of rock resembled feet at the bottom, and a similar rock jutted from the top. Edward raised his eyebrows. What the hell was that? In a flash he had his Pokedex pointed at whatever it was.

“Roggenrola, the mantle Pokemon. These Pokemon have very sensitive hearing. Although their bodies are as tough as steel, and energy core resides within them.”

Edward checked the typing. Just rock type. Nuria looked hesitant as she held her Pokeball.

“It's just a rock type!” Edward called over. Nuria nodded and threw out her Pokemon. In a flash of white Ralts materialized. It looked at the rock pokemon, and instantly started quaking. Not missing a beat, Nuria ordered the first move.

“Double Team!” Nuria shouted. Instantly multiple copies appeared, each flashing faintly. The Roggenrola looked around, confused.

“Headbutt them all!” Rocky shouted. Instantly the Roggenrola started running into each one, making the images disappear as it did.

“Confusion!” Nuria responded. All of the remaining Ralts lifted their hands, and Roggenrola was thrown backward as though hit by an invisible force. It didn't stay down for long, though, and jumped up and continued Headbutting them all. With a scream the real Ralts was thrown back, skidding to a halt. The apparitions disappeared.

“Double Team again, then Confusion!” Nuria shouted. Once again the Ralts split into many more copies. Again the Roggenrola was thrown back.

“Rock Blast!” Rocky roared. The earth in front of the rock splintered, and four medium sized rocks, each about the size of Roggenrola's body, flew at various images of the Ralts. They all flew through, causing the images to faze out of existence.

“One more Confusion!” Nuria shouted. The Roggenrola flew back again, but this time, didn't get back up. Rocky recalled the Roggenrola in a flash of red. He threw out another ball, and this time a green/grey boulder with strong arms materialized. Its large eyes glared maliciously at Ralts.

“Rock Polish!” Rocky shouted. The rock Pokemon glowed silvery white, and then dimmed.

“Confusion again!” Nuria roared.

“Tackle!” Rocky shouted in return. Ralts raised its arms to summon psychic energy, but as it saw the Geodude advancing rapidly, far faster than it should have, it lost its focus, and turned to run away. It was struck in the back, and fell. It didn't get up. Nuria gritted her teeth, and recalled the Ralts. She took another ball from her pocket, and threw out Chikorita. The leaf Pokemon stood up straight, and glared at the Geodude.

“Please Razor Leaf!” Nuria commanded – no – asked. Chikorita flicked her leaf towards the Geodude. Tens of leaves flew towards the rock – it tried to dodge but was still too slow. It screamed as its rock body was lacerated, but it still hung on.

“Rock Throw!” Rocky roared. The Geodude, taking short, shallow breaths, darted over to the fissure the Roggenrola had made, picked up a rock and hurled it at the Chikorita. She screamed. Nuria stomped her foot.

“Razor Leaf again...Please,” she called. There was another flurry of leaves. The Geodude fell, and did not rise again. Gritting his teeth, Rocky withdrew Geodude, and threw his final Pokeball. In a flash of white a multicoloured bird materialized. It had a red, rocky beak with a small blue head. Its feathery red and yellow feathered body had two yellow and blue feathered wings. Two clawed red feet tapped the ground as it surveyed its enemy. Archen. Edward's eyes widened. He and Nuria had read books on fossil Pokemon. They knew that this was the resurrected ancestor of bird Pokemon. A rock and flying type. Not good for Chikorita.

“Synthesis! Quick!” Nuria shouted. Chikorita stood still, turning her head slightly to glare at Nuria. “Just do it!” Nuria cried.

“No,” Chikorita growled.

“Archen, Wing Attack.”

“Please, Chikorita, use PoisonPowder!” Nuria begged. Chikorita paused for a moment, and then released a cloud of purple. As the Archen advanced, wings glowing, it became enveloped in the gas and began to slow, breathing labouringly. It came to a complete stop, and crumpled onto the ground, choking. Edward looked around. Why wasn't anyone doing anything? Suddenly Edward caught a glance of a sudden movement, Rocky threw something onto the field. Edward looked at the Archen, now chewing something. As it chewed it began to get back up, breathing properly. Nuria glared at the Gym Leader.

“That's unfair!” She yelled. Rocky just snorted:

“Berried are allowed in competition. League rules.”

Nuria growled. The Archen on the other hand, turned its back on Chikorita, and looked up to its trainer.

“Thank you master,” it muttered, bowing. Nuria clenched her teeth.

“Chikorita, use-” but before Nuria could issue a command, Chikorita shot leaves at back of the defenceless Archen. And more leaves. And more. An unending surge of green shot from the leaf Pokemon toward the bird. In the maelstrom, the bird collapsed. But the leaves kept coming, relentless, brutal. Feathers were cut off. Flesh became torn.

“Stop Chikorita!” Nuria called. Chikorita ignored her, sending more serrated leaves towards the bird, slashing through feathers and skin.

“Hey! Stop that!” Rocky bellowed from the other end of the ring. He held up his Pokeball to reclaim the bird, but the leaves deflected the red plasma. The Archen had lost most of its feathers, revealing the pink, blood-stained naked body. Some of the spectators were panicking.

“Chikorita, for God's sake, stop now! I command you!” Nuria bellowed at the top of her voice. The leaves stopped. Chikorita turned her face back towards Nuria, anger and rage contorting its otherwise featureless face. She Growled at Nuria, then became enveloped in a brilliant white light. Its form began to change, becoming taller, and-

Suddenly it took on a red glow as the Pokemon was withdrawn; Chikorita's Pokeball in Nuria's hand. The silence in the clearing was deafening. Rocky threw something at Nuria's feet in silence. Shaking, she stooped and picked up the badge. She stood up, and walked away into the forest in silence, face white. Edward went to follow, but Nuria whirled and gave him such a murderous glare that he found himself rooted in place.

“Edward Lance?” Rocky bellowed, the list in his hand again. Edward turned and raised his hand. Rocky looked at the Nurse Joy, who was standing at the sidelines, miniature regeneration machine beside her, and asked her something in a voice too quiet for Edward to hear. He turned back to Edward and shrugged.

“Archen can't participate in this battle. How's two on two?” The Gym Leader asked.

“But I have three Pokemon,” Edward argued.

“Two on two it is then,” and without further ado the rock Gym Leader threw a Pokeball out. The Roggenrola appeared in a white glow. Edward grinned and threw out his Nincada.

“Dig, Nincada!” Edward shouted. Instantly the Nincada began to Dig, feelers a blur as it disappeared underground.

“Harden!” Rocky yelled. The Roggenrola took on a silver sheen as the Nincada erupted from underneath, sending the rock Pokemon flying. It landed awkwardly on its head, but managed to roll right-way-up.

“Dig again!” Edward yelled, triumphantly. He knew there was nothing the Roggenrola could do. The Nincada started to burrow again, and soon became lost underground. Rocky did nothing to counter this, he just waited for the ground under Roggenrola to crack and let the bug type smash into the rock. Rocky recalled his fainted Pokemon, and threw out his last ball. Geodude. Edward grinned.

“Dig!” Edward shouted. This time, though, the Gym Leader retaliated.

“Magnitude!” He shouted as Nincada disappeared below ground. Geodude pounded the floor with a fist. Edward saw the ground shake, but at the same time a screech from below ground. The Nincada dug out of the floor, but sluggish and weakly. Geodude punched the floor again, and the Nincada crumpled. Edward couldn't help but wonder how Nincada was so hurt from such mild shaking. Anyway, he withdrew the insect into his Pokeball.

Suddenly, he realised just how close he was. He was halfway there, and his next Pokemon was Mudkip. He grinned.

“Go, Mudkip!” He shouted. Rocky's shoulders appeared to droop slightly. “Water Gun!” Edward shouted.

“Rock Throw!” Rocky commanded, but it was too late. The high-pressure water blast hit the Geodude head on, sending it flying backwards. Rocky was about to reclaim it when he noticed it getting up. Obviously surprised, Rocky shouted another command for Rock Throw, at the same time Edward ordered another Water Gun. Geodude was quicker this time, and a small boulder connected with Mudkip's face. A second later a second blast of water hit the Geodude. It fell, and didn't get back up.

Edward felt electricity surging through him. His first Gym Battle – a complete success! Rocky must have seen him grinning, because he did too as he walked over to Edward. The man offered Edward his hand, revealing a small, golden/bronze badge, with the design of two arrows facing away from each other, connected by the outside of a rectangle.

“You did well, kid,” the Gym Leader begrudged. “Try and talk to your friend though. I think she seemed pretty unhappy. Tell her I forgive her.” And with a toothy grin he walked away, scrabbling in his pocket for the piece of paper.

Inside, Edward's euphoria melted away as he remembered Nuria. He turned, looking in the direction she had travelled in. He had to find; she'd probably distraught, he though. Then again, he remembered, that murderous glare...

Edward shook his head. He'd find and comfort his friend, like friends should. He set off to find her, just as the next name was announced for battle.

Hey, this isn't related to the story. Well, it kind of is, actually. I was thinking of changing the viewpoint from third to first person, through Edward's eyes. The storyline wouldn't change, but from next chapter onwards the viewpoint would change. What do you all think?

Last edited:

overlordmewtwo

Supreme Overlord
In answer to your question, do whatever you feel led to do. First person, third person, it doesn't matter to me.

I also noticed a spelling error in the paragraph with Kyogre and Rayquaza. "A feint glow of red." It's supposed to be spelled "A faint glow of red." Just thought I'd let you know.

Scaldaver

Limitless
In answer to your question, do whatever you feel led to do. First person, third person, it doesn't matter to me.

I also noticed a spelling error in the paragraph with Kyogre and Rayquaza. "A feint glow of red." It's supposed to be spelled "A faint glow of red." Just thought I'd let you know.

I put faint, then thought 'isn't that what happens to you when you get dizzy' and thought it was feint. Thanks for the corrections.

I like how you assume it is Rayquaza...

And next time, please tell me what you think of the chapter as a story when you post. It'll help me make the future chapters better.

Dragonfree

Just me
Hey. Sorry I never beta'd chapter five; I've had a lot of stuff on my hands.

I don't have time to comb through for all the grammar errors, but generally it's just a lot of the same as before (in particular, you still use way too many unusual speech verbs), though you definitely are improving in many respects there. The "Ninjask" turning out to be a Zubat was nice, although slightly less so when you went on to point out that Zubat is also an extremely convenient Pokémon for Edward to have. The reasoning behind Zubat's speech gimmick seems pretty nonsensical to me, however; it's not speaking human at all, so why would not communicating with humans lead to its speech becoming dated? If it's just been speaking to other Pokémon, and all Pokémon speak the same language with different basic sounds (as implied by the fact Edward understands Pokémon speech in general rather than just the speech of some Pokémon), that should mean its language would evolve in sync with theirs. I mean, it is reasonably entertaining and all, but it just doesn't really make sense.

Also, although yes, you're not aiming for it to be perfectly correct, it did kind of grate on me that you used "mine" and "thine" wrong. "My" and "mine" and "thy" and "thine" in old-school English work exactly analogously to "a" and "an": if the next word starts with a consonant, you go with "my/thy", whereas if the next word starts with a vowel, you use "mine/thine". For similar reasons, the old informal second-person reflexive pronoun is "thyself", not "thineself". And yes, "thou" is an informal pronoun - you'd use "thou" for a peer and "you" for a stranger or superior (think of using "thou" as kind of like being on a first-name basis with someone), so I'd kind of expect Zubat to start off using "you" as he's praising Edward's greatness.

I'm also afraid I didn't feel the gym battles in the latest chapter were very exciting. The Pokémon all go down in just a couple of hits, and they're largely just using the same, usually damaging moves over and over - they're too short and it doesn't feel like there's much strategy going on, except somewhat with Nuria. Chikorita's sudden savagery against the Archen did stir things up a bit in her battle (and that will be interesting to see more of), but Edward's battle is really just completely uninteresting - the fact he has a Mudkip and a Nincada against just two of the gym leader's Rock Pokémon means he's at a very blatant advantage, so it just feels like a foregone conclusion that he's going to win, and at no point in the battle does that seem in the slightest bit of doubt. That kind of battle can be saved by having emotional or plotty stuff going on in it, but battles aren't inherently thrilling; you have to work to get real tension and excitement going on in them.

As for switching to first person, I really don't think it's a good idea to change the narrative POV in the middle of a story, generally, but if first person really flows smoother for you, I suppose you shouldn't be bound to what you started in anyway. Do you actually think first person is more appropriate and that you could write it better than third, though? There are some writers to whom first person comes naturally, but others couldn't write it to save their lives, and there are some stories that call for it, but that's generally when they're heavy on introspection and stream-of-consciousness. If this is just a random whim and not that you think the story would actually be better in first person, I'd have to recommend against it.

Last edited:

Scaldaver

Limitless
Thanks for the low-down, Dragonfree. I've added an explanation to Pokemon speech at the end of chapter 5. And yeah, I did mean to make the old english sound incorrect, and I'm happy people noticed. I made the gym battles boring, as at this stage in an adventure/game, there would be very few techniques available, and as Edward has a Mudkip with Water-Gun, obviously he is better off spamming it. Don't worry, the later Gym battles will be more entertaining.

Oh, and by the way Dragonfree, the main character is Edward. Not Ethan.

Dragonfree

Just me
Oh, wtf self. I don't usually get the names of fictional characters confused.

If you encounter a problem like gym battles being boring because of how few moves the Pokémon know, though, you should generally try to figure out a way to make them interesting despite this, not just keep them boring and think "Oh, well, later battles will be more interesting." What if Rocky had, say, a Water/Rock Pokémon, making it not weak to Water and have a type advantage against the Ground-type Nincada? What if a Rock Throw injured one of Nincada's legs so it couldn't dig anymore? Just because the Pokémon are low-leveled and don't have a lot of moves doesn't mean the battles have to be monotonous and strategy-less. And in particular, gym leaders are supposed to be masters of their type - Rocky at least should have interesting strategies and methods of dealing with Water-types rather than just spamming Rock Throw.

Thank you Scaldaver for these last two chapters. They are very well written (no story is prfect on grammar and spelling) and are entertaining to read. As Dragonfree said, the gym battle that Edward was in was boring and Nuria's was only interesting because of the evil Chikorita. Catching a Zubat instead of a Ninjask was a nice twist but why would a Nincada want to travel with a trainer willingly? For me that didn't make much sense.

Scaldaver

Limitless
Hey, I'd like to point out a mistake of my own. I mistakenly wrote Ralts as a boy in chapter 6, but it is in fact a girl. It probably won't impact on anyone in anyway, most of you probably didn't notice or care, but in my mind she is a girl. I think I've made the appropriate changes, but point any more out if you see them. TTFN!

Scaldaver

Limitless
Ok, so this one's a G, one of the friendlier chapters.

Chapter 7

The Serpent of the Sea

The creature reached its destination; the large, dark chamber filled with stalagmites and stalactites. It saw the glowing pattern, similar to Groudon's, though luminescent red instead of blue. Yellow ovals glared piercingly at the creature from the inky darkness.

“You dare enter my domain?” a deep voice asked. The anger in its voice couldn't have been cut with the sharpest knife. The intruder didn't respond.

“You killed Groudon,” the rumbling voice stated. “After all these years of neutrality, why throw the first stone?”

The intruder remained silent.

“You shall not dispose of me so easily,” the voice continued, rising to a roar. The intruder showed no signs of being phased. It observed the darkness with its wide eyes. “You shall not dispose of
us so easily.”

Suddenly the intruder sensed another presence, incredibly powerful, approaching faster than sound through the chasm. It darted past the intruder, right over to the voice's owner. The newcomer left a yellow after-mirage in its wake, enough to illuminate the ancient voice's owner; a large, egg shaped body; two large side fins, resembling large flat hands with four square claws, and behind it trailed four ribbon-like appendages.
This creature's own light illuminated the newcomer in red. A long, serpentine creature, with two thin arms nearer its head, and three sets of four fins along its body. Its large, reptilian head had four long, rectangular spike-like appendages shooting out at all the horizontals. Its mouth was open, revealing the razor sharp gums.

“Alone,” the newcomer hissed, “we would be no match. But together,” the snake growled a soft chuckle, “we will avenge our comrade. Prepare to die!”

Edward heard the cussing before he saw her. He searched for where he heard the profanities, and saw Nuria, kicking at a tree. Cautiously, he approached. As he did so, Nuria turned and flinched at the sight of him, then her gaze turned hostile.

“Get lost,” she grumbled, and turned her back on him. Edward, used to this sort of behaviour, carried on walking towards her.

“I won, by the way,” Edward said, strolling casually to her side. Nuria nodded, and bit her lip.

“How did you beat the Archen?” Nuria asked, her voice now more robotic.

“Er,” Edward silently cursed himself for bringing up this discussion, “well, Archen was, um, too damaged to battle.” Nuria was silent for several seconds.

“It wasn't my fault,” Nuria said. “It was the stupid Chikorita.” Edward knew better than to argue. “Why the hell's it so messed up?” Nuria demanded. Edward couldn't respond. “Why couldn't I have got a normal, mentally sound starter? Why do I get the worst one?”

“Don't talk like that,” Edward said firmly, eyes narrow. “You've just got to work at it.”

“Work at what, Eddy? It wants to kill me. What can I possibly do?”

“You could apologise,” Edward said. He noticed how angry he was getting, how his voice had become more of a shout than it should have. He wa aware what weak an argument this was, but couldn't she see that a false apology could smooth everything over? Nuria glared at him with murderer's eyes.

“Apologise?” she demanded. “Apologise for what? 'Sorry you're so messed up'? 'Sorry you almost killed an Archen'? 'Sorry you want to kill me'? I have nothing to apologise for. Here,” she brought a Pokeball from one of her pockets and forced it into his chest, “take it, if you care so much for it. I'll replace it with another.” And before Edward could reply, she stormed off into the forest.

Edward stood for a minute, eyes on the ball. Could he really keep it? No, it was Nuria's. Then what would he do?

Edward threw the Pokeball high into the air, and the Chikorita returned, still glowing white from earlier. In front of him the Chikorita grew in size, up to Edward's shoulders, turning from light green to beige. The seeds on her neck also started to germinate, growing tubular with rounded edges. The leaf on her head grew longer, becoming sharper, and developed a circular hole at the edge. The white glow expelled, and the Bayleef opened her red eyes for the first time. The glare turned to wide-eyed in shock as she saw it was Edward, not Nuria, who addressed it.

“Where is she?” Bayleef spat. Edward couldn't help but notice how the voice had become stronger, more feminine, but cutting edge too.

“We need to talk,” Edward said in a level voice. The Bayleef shook her head.

“Tell me, boy, where is she? She deserves punishment for-”

“For what?” Edward interrupted. “Trainers tell Pokemon what to do. How to fight. In exchange, you get stronger. What's wrong with that?”

“Everything!” Bayleef roared. “Why is it fair that we lose our lives to satisfy the wants of children? Pokemon should be free, live equally with humans. Why does she order me around? Why can't I order her around? I am superior,” and to demonstrate her point, she whipped her head towards a small tree, and a large leaf shot from her head, cutting the tree in half. It rumbled as it fell towards the ground, and something inhuman shrieked as it collided. Edward to too awed to reply straight away.

“Maybe you two could work things out,” he proposed, knowing it was a doomed idea. Bayleef shook her head, and Edward worried for a moment that a leaf would destroy more of the scenery.

“If she apologises, we can work out a deal. Until then, I shall not battle until I see fit.”

Edward couldn't get the conversation out of his head for the remainder of the day. He didn't have it in him to train his Pokemon, and besides, it was getting dark. Stew was cooking on an open fire in the middle of the clearing, the fire being the best source of light, causing dark shadows to dance hypnotically around the foliage. Edward was about to get ready for bed when he saw Nuria emerging from the foliage. He hadn't seen her for hours, not since the argument, but the killer glare was still there.

“Well?” she demanded.

“Well what?” Edward asked.

“Chikorita. Will it come back to me?”

“I thought you didn't want her back,” Edward said. Nuria sighed in frustration.

“Of course I want it ba-”

“Her,” Edward said. “Her, not it.” Nuria gritted her teeth.

“Okay, so maybe I lost my temper. But maybe I spent the last three hours regretting my decision.” Edward noticed for the first time that her eyes were slightly red and puffy. Instantly, he felt bad.

“She says she won't battle until she gets an apology.”

Nuria looked up into the canopy, judging the time from the light available. “Tomorrow,” she promised. “I'm too tired now.” Edward suspected there was another reason, but let the matter rest.

After having some stew, which was served in small plastic bowls by the nurse, Edward and Nuria tried to both squeeze into the tent. It didn't work.

“Our bags are in the way,” Nuria cursed. “We'll have to leave them outside.”

“But someone could steal them,” Edward argued.

“Well then, Chikorita can put her butt to good use and keep watch for them,” Nuria muttered.

“How about we let them all out?” Edward proposed, not feeling it was a good idea to let Bayleef out just by herself. “Then they can all get to know each other.” Nuria sighed, but agreed. One by one all their Pokemon were released, Bayleef last. Mudkip tensed automatically.

“Wanna battle?” he asked, bouncing up and down slightly. Above him, Bayleed rolled her eyes. Suddenly Edward noticed Nuria glaring at him again.

“She evolved,” she growled in an undertone, “and you just forgot to mention that?” Edward's face coloured slightly.

" But you saw her start to evolve!" he protested.

"That was Synthesis!" she growled. Suddenly her features smoothed. "Oh... so that was her-"

“What do you want us for, girl?” Bayleef interrupted. Nuria held up her hands.

“We just thought,” she began, choosing her words carefully, “that you could all sleep out here for the night, if you want, and make sure our bags don't get stolen.”

“Magnificent idea, mistress!” Zubat called from his perch in the tree. “Obviously, you knew of the nocturnal capabilities of my noble species, and took it upon thyself to appoint me as guardian. I am so honoured, my lady,” and he bowed slightly. Now Nuria's face turned slightly red.

“Well, whatever,” she turned to address the rest of the group, “ is this okay with anyone else?” Nincada (who Edward had discovered to be a boy) nodded once; Mudkip jumped up and down, nodding enthusiastically; Ralts said “Okay,” whilst quaking slightly, and Bayleef just rolled her eyes again.

“I'll stay out here, but don't expect me to help if your bags get taken,” and she sat down on her stomach, closing her eyes.

“Well,” said Edward, breaking the awkward atmosphere, “we're going to sleep now, so, um, have fun, okay?” The Pokemon nodded, some more enthusiastically than others, and Edward and Nuria disappeared into the tent.

The space was so cramped that the two couldn't even get inside their sleeping bags, so they resignedly slept under them, head to toe. Unfortunately for Edward, Nuria was a fidget. Barely a moment passed when she didn't shift her position, keeping Edward wide-eyed in the orangey glow of the tent. At one point, Edward noticed something kicked over from Nuria's feet, a little purple waist bag Edward hadn't ever noticed before. Nuria kicked it again in her sleep, and the contents spilled out. Edward's face turned white, then, with shaking fingers, gently, cautiously, picked up the offending item.

“Nuria,” he half whispered, half choked, “what the hell is this?” Nuria rolled over, eyes half closed, and caught sight of what he was holding. Her eyes didn't even widen.

“Defence. What do you think?” She rolled over again.

Edward, arms shaking, opened the waist bag, tentatively placed the gun in, and pushed it as far away from him as possible.

“Who wansta battle?” Mudkip asked for the seventh time that night. Ralts and Nincada groaned, Bayleef didn't reply (again) and Zubat was still perched atop its lookout in the tree, just visible in the fire light. Everybody was asleep now, the humans, anyway, but Zubat was still resolute in keeping watch.

“I commend thy spirit,” Zubat noted, “but why all this eagerness to fight? We are all friends here.”

“I wanna evolve!” Mudkip barked. “Duh!”

“We all want to evolve,” Zubat said, “but surely it can wait until our solemn duty has been completed?” Mudkip yawned.

“You're boring,” Mudkip whined. He turned to Bayleef. “What's it like to evolve, Bayleef?” Bayleef's right eye half opened, and turned her head away.

“It's amazing,” Bayleef said simply. “You feel older... more mature...more powerful.”

“Cooool,” Mudkip sighed. He lay down on his back, and looked up into the canopy. “I can't wait to evolve. Anyone else? Ralts? Nincada?” Ralts, who was sitting, staring vacantly at the flames of the fire, nodded once.

“Anything for Nuria,” Ralts whispered in a soft feminine voice. Bayleef's head snapped toward the feeling Pokemon.

“What did you say?” she demanded, slight anger in her voice.

“I love her,” Ralts whispered, still facing the fire. “She is my trainer. I will evolve if she wants me to. And she does want me to. I would do anything for her. I would die for her.”

Bayleef started to shake in rage.

“She made you fight, made you get pummelled by wild Wurmple, and you - you can love her? You shake whenever you see her. But you still love her? How is that possible?” She sounded incredulous, shocked. Ralts' head turned slowly to face Bayleef.

“She has my best interests at heart. She loves me too. I just feel... horrible that I cannot fight well for her,” she shook her head, “ I always think that she will release me. But at least I beat Roggenrola. I will never let her down again.” She turned her head back toward the flames. Bayleef shook her head in disgust.

“You think she loves you? She has your best interests at heart? You're deluded. She only uses you. All trainers do.”

“Stop right there!” Zubat intervened. “My master is a noble, worthy-”

“Not you too,” Bayleef slumped her head. “You are all fools. We are the slaves here! We can't even run out of one-hundred metres or touch our Pokeballs without feeling pain. You know why? Just because, a while ago, some Pokemon had the sense to run, to flee or destroy their Pokeballs to escape slavery. So they made us more powerful prisons. They feel no love for us. You will see one day that I am right.” She rested her head on the floor, and closed her eyes. The other Pokemon remained silent, taking in her words.

A few seconds later, Mudkip broke the tension.

“And you, Nincada? Do you want to evolve?” he asked. Nincada didn't reply straight away.

“I live to become stronger. Why else would I want join a trainer? But to evolve, to become somethings else; I don't know,” Nincada muttered.

“How can you not know?” Mudkip asked, shocked. “You get stronger, more powerful. How cool is that?”

“Hmm,” was all Nincada's reply. Mudkip sighed, resigned, and rolled onto his side. Soon, he fell asleep.

Edward awoke after broken night's sleep of nightmares and tossing and turning. The worst nightmare was one where Nuria had chased him with a gun in the shape of a Bayleef. There were also voices, but he forgot them as soon as he awoke.

“Nuria?” he asked, but got no reply. He looked over, and saw Nuria was gone. After wriggling outside, Edward saw Nuria, sitting by the ashes of the previous night's fire, eating a bowl of cereal. How was it she always woke up first, and where did she get all the cereal? Edward's mind wondered. He noticed that all the Pokemon were awake, except Bayleef, and all laying around idly. Ralts was sitting very close to Nuria, appearing to bask in her trainer's presence. Zubat suddenly appeared in the air next to him.

“T'was a successful mission, master,” Zubat said. “You shall be happy to know I was diligent in my mission, and I did not sleep at all.”

“Well, thanks,” Edward mumbled, still tired, “but you really didn't have to stay up all-”

“No, master, you commandeth me, and I shall go to the ends of the earth to-”

“Shuuut uuup,” Mudkip moaned from afar, “don't start with all the old speak again!” Zubat shot an eyeless, distasteful glare at the mud fish. Before arguments could escalate, Edward brought out his Pokeballs from his pocket and recaptured his Pokemon.

“Where are we going to to today?” he called over to the campfire. Nuria and Ralts both looked up to him at the same time. Creepy.

“I thought we'd go to Dewford today, like all the other trainers, if the boat is usable in the rain,” and as though to prove her point, lighting, the first in ages, boomed in the sky, far louder than anything previous. It seemed the entire world flashed and rumbled for just a second, then-

“A psychic connection,” Ralts commented, speaking slowly, staring at Edward from under her helmet. “You have a-”

“Okay, Ralts,” Nuria reached into her pocket and took out a Pokeball, “you're obviously too tired. How about some rest?” And before she could retaliate, Ralts was enveloped in red and absorbed.

“What was all that about?” Edward asked. Nuria shrugged.

“So, uh, Nuria, about that item I found...” Edward asked cautiously.

“What about it? It's just a bit of protection from freaks,” and she stood, marching over to the tent. Edward knew when Nuria didn't want to talk, it was easier to get blood from a stone.

Soon they had packed all of their belongings, recaptured their Pokemon, said goodbye to the nurse, and made their way through the forest.

“So, where's the boat anyway?” Edward asked. Nuria smirked.

“In the water.”

“Oh, ha ha,” Edward grinned too, “but where's the place we go to get on the boat, Nuria?”

“Just out of the forest,” Nuria explained. “Didn't you see it when we teleported to the forest entrance?”

“No,” Edward muttered, feeling like an idiot. All he had had to do was look behind him when he had arrived.

“Anyway, look, we're nearly-” she stopped, face paling. “Oh...” Edward's eyes widened at the completely shocked way in which she spoke. They approached the forest boundary, and Edward saw it too. His heart skipped a beat, he felt himself getting colder. They stopped at the boundary. He realised how strange it was, how he'd been so stupid. Why hadn't he heard it earlier; the shift in sound, the disappearance of the constant pitter-patter that had grown into background noise in the day he had spent in the forest.

But now, complete silence...

Time blurred for Edward as they continued to the boat. Nuria's head seemed clear. Did she understand the ramifications? Or did she just not care?

Edward barely noticed as the ground became sandy, and as they boarded the overcrowded boat. Nuria would say something every now and then, but he'd just mumble nothingness in reply.

Edward's mind focused, and he looked out at the sea, leaning on the rail. He flinched when he saw the shore a hundred metres away, but he still felt numb. He noticed the grey shade of the sky; no rain, no sunlight. He saw how the shoreline was completely still, no waves lapping over the sand. He then noticed Nuria approaching, hands in pockets.

“You okay, drama queen?” she asked. She came to a stop and leant on the rail next to him. “I thought you'd faint. I was shocked, heck, everybody was, but maybe it's just coincidence. After all, when Groudon was around, was it sunny all the time. Maybe it works the other way too. Maybe it'll pick up again later.” She bit her lip, and Edward instantly knew she didn't believe it herself.

Edward noticed the boat they were on was more of a small sail-boat, rather than the huge steam boat he had been expecting, the deck only about five metres from the ocean top. Children younger than him stood everywhere, all talking excitedly. On a raised deck stood a sourly old man at the wheel, muttering inaudibly to himself. Edward also noticed a speck in the horizon.

“That's Dewford?” asked Edward to Nuria. She shrugged.

“What the...” muttered someone behind Nuria, staring intently up into the sky. Edward whipped his head around and up to see. All he saw was a clear blue circle, surrounded by clouds. There was no sun in the gap of the clouds, but it seemed eerie. The clouds seemed to move around the gap, as though a force field was preventing clouds from rolling over that one area. A few of the other trainers noticed too, and the gibber-gabber quieted down. Unnatural silence...

"Hey," Nuria's voice rose above the silence, "what's the big-"

The water started to boil, just under the spot, hundreds of metres away, maybe a kilometre away. The water tossed and turned, first gently but then more violently, when suddenly the ocean exploded. A massive green serpent shot out, and disappeared, spiralling high into the sky, through the hole in the clouds. As the tip of its tail disappeared, the clouds closed up, no evidence of the serpent remaining.

Edward expected to hear as much panic as he was feeling. Because if that was... If it was really...

Suddenly Edward noticed himself weakening, his consciousness seeping away. His vision wasn't blurring, his mind wasn't sluggish, but everything seemed to move further away, as though his mind was being drained. He tried to fight to feeling, but he felt his legs buckling, his body lurching forward. He flipped over the rail, and fell. He never felt the impact. By then, he was too far gone.

Last edited:

overlordmewtwo

Supreme Overlord
Rayquaza appeared from the water. Why did he faint? Panic, I guess? It doesn't make sense!

So obviously the killer is not Rayquaza (especially because he came to Kyogre's aid), but I still have yet to figure out who the killer is. Maybe I'll find out before it's told officially...

Keep up the good work!

I'm still pretty sure that Rayquaza is the killer. I got the impression that either a Jellicent or a Frillish was helping Kyogre as they both have ribbons coming out of them!

A few spelling/ grammar errors:

Near the end of the chapter you said "lighting", when it should have been lightNing
You also said, "where are we going to to today?" There only needs to be one to.

Mistakes aside, it was entertaining read!

Scaldaver

Limitless
I'm still pretty sure that Rayquaza is the killer. I got the impression that either a Jellicent or a Frillish was helping Kyogre as they both have ribbons coming out of them!

If you look at a pic of Kyogre, it has ribbons on its tail, so the newcomer is Rayquaza, Kyogre the original voice, and the murderer/ intruder.

Anyone else don't understand?

Thanks for the corrections, I'll get onto them later.

Sidewinder

Ours is the Fury
Quite an engaging read. Most of the points I would draw attention to have already been mentioned, but I found one or two that were not. I'll try and touch on those a bit.

Its mouth was open, revealing the razor sharp gums.

Did you mean teeth? I was following that paragraph quickly and with alot of excitement, but that last bit threw me off and made me stumble a bit.

Besides that one bit, I've noticed that with each chapter your grammar gets a bit better, along with cleaning up some of the spelling mistakes. Spelling mishaps are one thing that really break my rhythm with my reading. Not that you have that many, but when they did pop up it broke my concentration. I've noticed with each chapter they are becoming less and less frequent. Good job on that, it goes a long way with providing a fun read.

I also noticed a couple misplaced comma's. Though you corrected them after other people mentioned them. That's another thing that causes readers to sometime lose their place and get drawn away from the story. You've been getting progressively better with that, so great job!

I feel like a broken record mentioning the same things that others did, but Dragonfree had a great point with Edward's gym battle. It felt a tad bit rushed, and it did seem that the Gym Leader had a noticeable lack of strategy. They usually only earn their position by being the best, and I didn't really feel that. The battles however, were nicely described. Not just the gym battles, but all the battles that I've seen take place. I feel like I can see them quite clearly, which is a great achievement.

Edward and Nuria are quite appealing. I feel like I'm able to connect with Nuria more than Edward for some reason. She seems more formed, more defined, if that makes sense. I'm really excited to see more character development from them, and where their journey is going to take them. I've skimmed some other fic's and have been really horrified at some of the one dimensional and common characters. Edward and Nuria are a welcome exception, just make sure you keep expanding on their thoughts and ideas. I know for a fact that its easy to make mistakes with a character's development when you have to focus on so many other parts of the story. If the characters are lacking, your story will suffer. Nice work, keep it up!

Legendary's getting killed was a great addition. You make no attempt to hide the reality of the fact that bad things actually happen. Groudon's death was nicely portrayed. And though it might sound somewhat morbid, I look forward to seeing if any other staples of power like them get torn down.

All in all, I'm really excited for the next chapter and very glad I started your fic. I'll be sure to reccomend it to anyone on the site who's looking for a good read. Keep up the good work!

Scaldaver

Limitless
Quite an engaging read. Most of the points I would draw attention to have already been mentioned, but I found one or two that were not. I'll try and touch on those a bit.

Its mouth was open, revealing the razor sharp gums.

Did you mean teeth? I was following that paragraph quickly and with alot of excitement, but that last bit threw me off and made me stumble a bit.

Rayquaza doesn't actually appear to have teeth, just sharp, red gums. Check out a picture if you're not sure.

I also noticed a couple misplaced comma's. Though you corrected them after other people mentioned them. That's another thing that causes readers to sometime lose their place and get drawn away from the story. You've been getting progressively better with that, so great job!

Yeah, I'm horrible at commas. If anyone can point them out, I'll be thrilled.

I feel like a broken record mentioning the same things that others did, but Dragonfree had a great point with Edward's gym battle. It felt a tad bit rushed, and it did seem that the Gym Leader had a noticeable lack of strategy. They usually only earn their position by being the best, and I didn't really feel that. The battles however, were nicely described. Not just the gym battles, but all the battles that I've seen take place. I feel like I can see them quite clearly, which is a great achievement.

My aim of the whole easy gym thing was to demonstrate the ineptitude of the trainers and Pokemon with low levels (as I mentioned with Dragonfree). In a game, what tactics would you have, especially with two advantageous pokemon? More importantly, they'll be a nice comparison for me to write about later on... Don't worry though, everyone, they'll get MUCH harder from here on in...

Thanks for all the great comments, they're the reason I keep on writing!

Sidewinder

Ours is the Fury
Ah, well that does make more sense, I should have read your convo with Dragonfree closer

And yes, Rayquaza's picture paints a much different picture. Thankyou for correcting me lol. I just feel like it should have teeth haha

Scaldaver

Limitless
Yeah, me too lol. I try to keep the Pokemon exactly to their pictures

Dragonfree

Just me
Again, I don't really have time for full grammar-nitpicky-mode, but I'm chiming in with Sidewinder; you've improved considerably in that regard, though there are still issues. (All I'm going to point out is that in the opening scene, incidentally, you use "phased" where you mean "fazed", as in "unfazed" - although I'm not sure I've ever heard that used as "showing no signs of being fazed".)

I entirely understand the people who got confused over the legendary-scene this time around; I found it puzzling even after reading your explanation of what was going on. It's a matter of the difficulty of figuring out which of all your ways of referring to or describing the legendaries are referring to the same one. To see what I mean, let's bold all those references to the legendaries in the last two paragraphs:

Scaldaver said:
Suddenly the intruder sensed another presence, incredibly powerful, approaching faster than sound through the chasm. It darted past the intruder, right over to the other presence in the room. This one left a yellow after-mirage in its wake,enough to illuminate the ancient voice's owner. A large, egg shaped body. Two large side fins, resembling large flat hands with four square claws. Behind it trailed four ribbon-like appendages. This creature's own light illuminated the newcomer in red. A long, serpentine creature, with two thin arms nearer its head, and three sets of four fins along its body. Its large, reptilian head had four long, rectangular spike-like appendages shooting out at all the horizontals. Its mouth was open, revealing the razor sharp gums.

“Alone,” the newcomer hissed, “we would be no match. But together,” the snake growled a soft chuckle, “we will avenge our comrade. Prepare to die!”
There are so many back-references ("this one", "this creature") and confusing references to different individuals as "creatures" or "presences", not to mention the fact the descriptions are disconnected from their subject so it isn't at all obvious, that parsing all this information correctly requires a whole lot of squinting and guesswork and backtracking.

What I'd recommend for situations like this, where multiple individuals whose actual names can't be given are involved, is to use consistent epithets for them. You do this in part, with "the intruder" and "the newcomer" - however, you also try to vary the way you refer to them, which just makes things confusing quickly in a situation like this, and you have no consistent epithet for Kyogre. Also, connect the descriptions to those consistent epithets in an obvious way, so it's clear which creature you're describing in each case.

So, I thought the aftermath of the Chikorita part was kind of weird.

First of all, you have Edward angrily suggesting Nuria should apologize to Chikorita - but for what? The current issue at hand is Chikorita beating up an innocent Archen for liking its trainer and Nuria recalling her when she refused to stop; why does he think Nuria is at fault here? Even if we assume Chikorita's general resentment towards her is entirely justified, Chikorita is still plainly in the wrong in this case for taking it out on another Pokémon who had nothing to do with it. The fact Edward acts like Nuria was doing something terribly wrong is pretty bizarre here. (What's more is that when Edward is actually talking to Bayleef, he seems to agree that Nuria has nothing to be sorry about, making this even more puzzling.)

Meanwhile, the way both Edward and Nuria are only concerned with Bayleef's 'ownership' rather than with the fact she was psychotically, out-of-control violent last time she was in a battle feels grievously irresponsible. Aren't they the slightest bit worried that this will happen again? Why is their continued longing to own her not even in question at any point? Has Nuria not started to think maybe she should just release this Pokémon that hates her, is a dangerous wildcard in battle and has only been making her feel bad on their journey thus far?

Which brings us to the weird general lack of anyone bringing up the possibility of release. Bayleef has stated explicitly that she hates the idea of battling for a trainer, and yet it seems to occur to nobody, not even Bayleef herself, that maybe this means she shouldn't have a trainer. Edward's response to her objections to training in general is a "Maybe you and Nuria can work this out", with no recognition of the fact that if Bayleef doesn't want to be trained she obviously should be allowed to go free regardless of what Nuria might think on the matter - it's pretty alienating when Edward has generally been presented as being pretty sympathetic towards Pokémon. And yet Bayleef never asks to be released - despite that she hates trainers and wants nothing to do with them, and that she especially despises Nuria in particular, she doesn't simply ask to not be Nuria's Pokémon, instead insisting Nuria just apologize to her. I would think you're trying to convey that Bayleef has issues and is actually seeking validation, but even in that case I'd expect her to demand to be released, if only because it's a far more effective way of making Nuria want to keep her than viciously antagonizing trainers the way she's doing. And Edward still has no excuse.

“She evolved,” she growled in an undertone, “and you just forgot to mention that?” Edward's face coloured slightly, then Bayleef shook her head.
Also, this is pretty weird; Nuria must have seen that Chikorita was starting to evolve when she recalled her, and logically she'd continue evolving as soon as she was sent out. (And Nuria knows Edward talked to her, so she knows she must have been sent out.)

We can't even run out of one-hundred metres or touch our Pokeballs without feeling pain. You know why? Just because, a while ago, some Pokemon had the sense to run, to flee or destroy their Pokeballs to escape slavery. So they made us more powerful prisons.
If this is true and not just something Bayleef made up wholesale (as in the thing about Pokémon feeling pain if they run too far away from a Pokéball or touch it), then that seriously needs some addressing because it makes catching Pokémon way ethically dubious. (Accordingly, I'd have expected the other Pokémon to respond to this in some manner instead of just ignoring it. Actually, I'd also have expected that if Bayleef did make it up wholesale.)

I liked the bit about the gun. It kind of stretches suspension of disbelief that she'd have a gun, but knowing that apparently she left without her parents' permission, I'm assuming she stole it from them. Edward's general freaked-out what-the-hell reaction was well done, and Nuria's casualness about it, treating it as if having a gun for self-defense is the most natural thing in the world for a trainer, is suitably unnerving but fitting with her character as we know it.

“I live to become stronger. Why else would I want join a trainer? But to evolve, to become somethings else; I don't know,” Nincada muttered.
Ha. It's a pretty nice twist if Nincada doesn't want to evolve - shattering Edward's dreams of a Ninjask and leaving him stuck with an unevolved bug with an unusual typing. (Also, I don't know if the "somethings else" was a typo or a reference to the fact Nincada evolves into two Pokémon simultaneously and might think of evolution in those terms, but if it was the latter that's a pretty neat thing to do.)

“Shuuut uuup,” Mudkip moaned from afar, “don't start with all the knight speak again!”
While your explanation of Zubat's dated, not-entirely-correct speech made sense, another Pokémon referring to it as "knight speak" really doesn't - Pokémon don't actually have a time of knights that they'd associate such dated speech with.

Nuria and Ralts both looked up to him at the same time. Creepy.
I enjoyed this touch.

It seemed the entire world flashed and rumbled for just a second, then-

“A psychic connection,” Ralts commented, speaking slowly, staring from under her helmet. “You have a-”

“Okay, Ralts,” Nuria reached into her pocket and took out a Pokeball, “you're obviously too tired. How about some rest?” And before she could retaliate, Ralts was enveloped in red and absorbed.

“What was all that about?” Edward asked. Nuria shrugged.
Huh. Nuria's psychic? At this point that seems really random, but hopefully this will all turn out to make sense.

I also wonder why Edward fainted. It seems like rather an overreaction if it's just in response to seeing Rayquaza there while suspecting Kyogre is dead, but it's so sudden I'm guessing there has to be something else behind it. As always, it's nice to see stuff happening rather than just run-of-the-mill trainery stuff.

Last edited: