• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Legend's End

Rotomknight

THE GREATEST TRAINER
Please tell me it wasn't the painkillers!

How does celebi fit into this when I thought they were focusing on hoenn legendaries.

Scaldaver

Limitless
How does celebi fit into this when I thought they were focusing on hoenn legendaries.

Hmm, then I hope Celebi was a nice surprise! I swear I did say previously that it was an all-legendary inclusive story...

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
Here's the next chapter, with many(x10^10) thanks to The Great Butler for the Beta!

That's a lot of thanks, so you're welcome! XD;

So, without further ado:

Chapter Sixteen
Fragility

“OW!”

“Eddy! Sorry, but you were waaaay to close.”

Edward stayed doubled sideways on the tent floor, massaging his throbbing ribs. Did he hear something break?

“Look, can I help how I move when I'm asleep?”

I can't put my finger on what you changed here from the beta copy, but it appears to read more clearly that they are still in the tent.

“Yeah, but you were literally this close. Imagine what you'd do if you woke up to see a face like a centimetre in front of you!”

“Well, I wouldn't knee them in the chest, for one thing.”

“Look, I apologised, all right?”

Suddenly something collided into Edward's back, jolting him up straight.

“What happened?!” Mudkip yelled as Edward's hands now slid around to his back to assess the damage. Something definitely didn't feel right.

“I kneed him in the chest,” Nuria explained calmly. Mudkip's features sharpened as though to growl at Nuria, but, with a hazardous glance to the tent mouth, he turned to Edward.

I notice Nuria is unusually calm right here. Feels like she's gone through a bit of character growth.

“So, umm, are you okay?” Mudkip asked, his voice low.

“Not really,” Edward grumbled as he struggled to sit up. Just as he was half-way up he felt a sudden jolt, and he collapsed again, biting his lip to stop him from screaming out loud. Even so, a piercing note leapt from his throat. Dear God that hurt, he mentally screamed as his face contorted in agony.

“Eddy?!” Nuria snapped in concern. “Are you okay?”

Ah, there's the familiar Nuria again.

What the hell do you think, witch, I was just kneed in the chest, tackled in the back, as I tried to get up I screamed a bit and right now I'm rolling around in agony. How the bloody hell do you think I am?

The pain, however, only permitted him a strangled “No.”

The idea of Edward only being able to say much less than he wants to strikes me as creative for some reason. Minor, but creative nevertheless.

And suddenly something else was in the enclosed space, but Edward thought he must be hallucinating. It resembled a six-year-old girl, with a white tutu and long straight hair. On the other hand, her legs and hair were green, her face was paper-white and she had two red half-disks protruding on the right and left sides of her head.

“Ralts?” Nuria half-shrieked as the Pokemon advanced onto Edward. Wait, Edward thought in the tiny centre of his mind that wasn't screaming mindless obscenities, that's not Ralts.

The Pokemon knelt by Edward and put its white, two-fingered hands together, as though in prayer. As brilliant silver dust began to accumulate around the hands, Edward noticed subtle features of the Pokemon: the small, shy way in which it moved, the way it positioned itself right opposite Nuria. Ooooh, he realised all of a sudden, as the creature brought its hands apart, causing silver glitter to fall towards Edward's head, she evolved.

This is a curious way for them to discover Kirlia's evolution. It's a lot more creative than I was expecting.

The powder just touched his face-

And suddenly he shot upright, his eyes flying open to absorb the interior of the hospital room. It was a wide space: the wall space was dominated by shelves with brightly-coloured hard-back books and various cabinets held strange-looking contraptions, stacks of paper, or more books.

That's a very jarring transition, but given the context, it works.

“Careful,” Nuria said next to him, causing Edward to jump a little. He turned, and saw her sitting curled up in a green arm-chair by his bed, just by his pillow.

“What-?”

“No, really, be careful. The doctor said the painkillers might make you feel energised, but you're still hurt. Lie back down.”

Not bearing to be slow, Edward dropped back into the bed, shaking the frame slightly.

“Okay then, so what happened? Last thing I remember was all this glitter.”

“Umm, okay, where to begin?” she asked herself as she balanced her chin on her palm. “Well, Mudkip ran into you, which seemed to have hurt an awful lot, so Ra- I mean Kirlia appeared and used Heal Pulse on you. You fell asleep because apparently Pokemon heal moves are knock out humans, and we took you here.”

That makes sense about why Heal Pulse had that effect on him. Also, Edward and Nuria's relationship comes across very well here.

Nuria's look of confusion was suddenly replaced by a countenance of proud superiority.

“Well, let's just say I worked out what the old man said in his note.”

Edward bit his lower lip. Then it was his turn to narrow his eyes, though this time in suspicion.

“Wait, so this is Slateport? But how-?”

“Well, my friend,” she said, crossing her arms whilst keeping the victorious smile on her lips, “it was really quite simple.”

And this is why I love Nuria. She just has so much personality.

“But Ralts can't Teleport to places she hasn't been yet, so...”

“Well, I was thinking about that while I recalled all the Pokemon and hauled you out of the tent. I was thinking that if Kirlia just had to see where we had to go, we could simply fly there.”

Nuria paused, as though to give Edward time to applaud her brilliance. Instead he looked at her blankly.

“I don't follow your logic.”

Nuria smiled deviously and leaned in.

“Well, I reasoned if she Teleported up and in the direction of Slateport, then, as we fell a bit, Teleport upwards again in the same direction until we got there...”

“Oooh,” Edward said, a drop of genuine awe in his voice as he imagined Nuria and Kirlia materialising around the cloudy sky whilst lugging around his limp body.

I still find this strategy of hers a little unbelievable, but it does make more sense than it did before now. Nuria is certainly one who would be creative enough to do something like this.

“Yeah, there was definitely great skill and intelligence on my part,” she said, leaning back with her hands behind her head, grinning proudly.

“Yeah,” Edward said, grinning slightly himself, “like the skill required to wind someone with their knee at the break of dawn. Or to cross an ocean by Teleport-air flying when you could've got me to a hospital in seconds.”

“You know, one day you'll look back on this and laugh. Latias and Latios? No problem. Regice? Cool. A thirteen year-old girl and a level sixteen Mudkip? You're hospitalised for two weeks.”

“Two weeks?!”

“Ha! See? Funny! No, seriously you've been out for a day, that's all, I swear.”

Edward took a deep breath, calming the frogs which had just leapt in his stomach.

“I hate you.”

“Love you, Eddy.”

Oh God I love these two so much.

Edward stayed down, craning his neck to look around the room.

“So,” he said after a brief silence, “Ralts evolved.”

“You know, one of these days I might even see one of my Pokemon evolve,” she said through clenched teeth, although she didn't look or sound too angry.

You know, I hadn't realized that about Nuria's evolutions, but it's right now that I think about it.

Before Edward could comment, the door slid open and the doctor entered, her eyes fixed on the chart before her.

“Your spine's recovered; it was lucky that Kirlia healed that or you'd be in a wheelchair right about now. It didn't heal the rib though; it wasn't focusing on that. Luckily the water didn't stay in your lungs for too long, or sorting that out would have been tricky. The hospital's Pokemon fixed it up, but with the Pokemon healing you've already had, a full recovery of the rib would've been dangerous. You shouldn't do any strenuous activity for a few weeks, but you'll be fine. Just try not to run too often, stay out of danger, et cetera. I apologise for my hurrying but there have many incidents due to the flash floods. You may leave, and I hope you don't come back.” With that, the nurse just turned and left, the door closing quietly behind her.

Talk about bedside manner, huh?

I like that the weather disasters were actually addressed here in a way. It's not bad, but I do find it a little unusual for there to be such an obviously global-scale disaster going on, but the story's focus is so narrow. I kind of like it as a narrative choice, though, to focus on a small group of people in a much bigger picture.

“Well, that was...” Edward murmured.

“Yeah,” Nuria agreed, before looking up at the clock. “Hey look, it's nearly ten! Shall we leave now?”

“But,” Edward said, sweeping his arms down his body, “I am hospitalised and all drugged up. And,” he looked under his covers, “I am wearing a hospital gown.”

Edward's speech sounds strangely formal for this scene, I think.

Nuria suddenly jumped up.

“Well, your clothes are in the corner,” she said, pointing over to his nicely folded clothes ear the radiator whilst she headed for the door.

Hang on...

“Hey, Nuria,” he called as she got further away, “what was that she said about water?”

Nuria had reached the door and was now standing on the other side of it, poking her head around the corner.

“Well, when Kirlia and I were Teleporting around the sky...see, it was pretty hard to hold on, and gravity made us fall the whole time...so, well, by mistake I.....I, umm... dropped you.”

Edward shot up for the third time in recent days, but before he could even say anything, Nuria had shut the door behind her.

Dropped me. She... she dropped me. Does she want me dead?

I still find the whole way they traveled to Slateport a little hard to swallow, especially now that we know Nuria dropped him in the ocean. How did she get him out?

His eyes skimmed over the room again, passing the clock.

An entire day of my journey, lost. Because Mudkip was trying to help me.

The clock ticked past another minute.

Well, what am I doing wasting more of my time? he suddenly thought, and swivelled his legs around off the bed. With his entire body leaning forward, he felt a strain on his chest – not sharp, but dulled and throbbing. How much are the painkillers suppressing the pain? Or is this as bad as it gets?

Edward pushed himself up slowly, testing the strength of his upper body. He couldn't help but wince – I can see how this is going slow me down.

Suddenly a vision popped into his head – him, being pursued by Legendaries, completely incapable of running. Then again, I'd never be able to run from a Legendary anyway, would I? It didn't fully help his already-weakened nerves, but he could at least justify not being an invalid for his mission.

He could always get help from his Pokemon.

In all seriousness, though, Edward's introspection is nice to see.

There was another thing, he realised, which had begun to eat away at him. I am so easy to break. He knew it was childish to think himself invincible and all-powerful, but what Nuria had said earlier had really hit home – he'd been incapacitated by a lowly thirteen year old girl and his own, unevolved starter Pokemon. If it's so easy for them to hospitalise me then-

Edward tried to kick the thought out of his head, and went on to do what he'd learnt two nights previously – to devote his whole mind to one specific, unrelated task.

Now standing, he took a few steps – he was surprised to find he couldn't feel as much pain as before. Maybe it's just getting up and down, he thought hopefully. Unless it will feel worse after the painkiller wears off, the cynical part of his mind sneered.

This comment about his realizing his own fragility (nice callback to the chapter title, by the way) is obviously going to be important, if you ask me.

He was half-way to his drying clothes when he felt something behind him. He didn't know what, but there was definitely something. It was just like with Regice and Latios and Latias; it was as though all the world was concentrating in that particular piece of space behind him.

By reflex he suddenly turned, and was met by a sharp spike of pain in his ribs. His arm went to his side, covering his chest, but when he looked up the pain was all forgotten.

Hovering just above his head, two metres above the floor, sat a small, green, elf-like creature, with two short antennae with blue tips. It's wide, attentive eyes seemed to look deep into Edward's very soul, as it seemed not to register the flagrant shock on his face. Edward knew what this creature was straight away. It was one of his favourite Legends he heard as a child.

Celebi.

The Legend seemed to have finished appraising him, as it closed its eyes and shook its head, frustration evident in its tired expression.

Still too early!” a pure, reverberating voice echoed from everywhere.

And then it was gone.

Edward stood, transfixed, staring into empty space before him.

Please tell me that was the painkillers.

I don't think it was the painkillers, Edward. I think you just had your next Legendary encounter, and something weird is going on.

Okay, so even though there wasn't much action in this chapter, I think it's a very, very good one. What we got instead of action was character development and interaction, which I loved. Nuria was just great in this chapter, and Edward wasn't so bad either. Two thumbs up.

Sidewinder

Ours is the Fury
Here's my review for chapter 16. So sorry it's taken me so long. Been in a little bit of a funk lately, but I should now be back to reviewing regularly :)

“Yeah, but you were literally this close. Imagine what you'd do if you woke up to see a face like a centimetre in front of you!”

I probably would have reacted the same way lol.

mean Kirlia appeared and used Heal Pulse on you. You fell asleep because apparently Pokemon heal moves are knock out humans, and we took you here.”

I'd love to see you expand on that more in future chapters. It's always really excited me to see the different way's Pokemon moves and or medicine can be used on humans and what adverse effects may arise. Glad to see you're of the same persuasion

You're hospitalised for two weeks.”

She's such a smart alick sometimes. Love it

Your spine's recovered; it was lucky that Kirlia healed that or you'd be in a wheelchair right about now. It didn't heal the rib though; it wasn't focusing on that. Luckily the water didn't stay in your lungs for too long, or sorting that out would have been tricky. The hospital's Pokemon fixed it up, but with the Pokemon healing you've already had, a full recovery of the rib would've been dangerous. You shouldn't do any strenuous activity for a few weeks, but you'll be fine. Just try not to run too often, stay out of danger, et cetera. I apologise for my hurrying but there have many incidents due to the flash floods. You may leave, and I hope you don't come back.” With that, the nurse just turned and left, the door closing quietly behind her.

That was actually quite well done. I love when fics delve into medical aspects and the problems and restrictions that go along with them. After what Edward went through, there is obviously going to be ramifications and I'm glad you dont subscribe to the theory I see sometimes on boards where characters suffer injuries with no lasting effects. Nice realistic touch.

Edward said, sweeping his arms down his body, “I am hospitalised and all drugged up. And,” he looked under his covers, “I am wearing a hospital gown.”

Is there any particular reason why you're using 'I am' so often instead of 'I'm'? It doesn't bother me too much, but reading it so quickly back to back makes it a tad bit tedious. You dig?

Please tell me that was the painkillers.

It's almost as if he wants to wish Celebi away even though it is something he wants. Hell, knowing Edward I feel like he would look for any possible reason to force himself to believe it was real. Interesting.

All in all, pretty solid chapter. Not too much happened to me, but you showed your original flair with the medical explanation and dabbled in some pretty nice description so I enjoyed myself quite a bit. Once again, sorry it took me so long to get around to this; but I'm glad I did and make sure to let me know when the next one goes up

Scaldaver

Limitless
These pauses are getting longer and more inconsistent, eh? I'll hardly win anything at this rate... no matter! Anywho, here's the new post, and I hope people are still reading this. I'll probably get some done over the summer. Probably.

Chapter 17
Battles

After sluggishly getting dressed and popping to the toilet, Edward slowly descended the marble stairs, gripping the handrail as tightly as possible. Why is everything so damn painful?

Finally getting to the bottom floor, Edward had to stop for a second to catch his breath. He couldn't breathe as deeply without a sharp jab of pain, so took as small a breaths as his ribs could allow. Taking one last little gulp of air, he looked toward the door; sure enough, Nuria was standing there, both his and her rucksack slung over each of her shoulders.

“Thought I'd lighten your load,” Nuria said with a smile, holding out five miniaturised Pokeballs and a pink Pokedex. He took and pushed them into his pocket, then raised his eyebrows as Nuria produced a small, clear tube containing many white pills. “Painkillers,” she elaborated, “from the nurse.”

“Thanks. So,” he said, stepping through as the automatic door opened, “where are we going?”

He looked around as he got outside. He'd never been to Slateport before, but had it been a sunnier day it would have been easy to imagine this as a popular tourist destination: beyond the light, tiled paths that wound around various market places, a great expanse of golden sand lay undisturbed by the beach.

But there was also a ghostly quality about the area: the various stalls looked rotting and abandoned, litter lay undisturbed and sopping wet along the pavement, and the golden sand looked depressingly filthy next to the still, grey ocean, there being no sunlight to brighten the place up.

“Well, unless you want to compete in those ridiculous contests or Battle Tents, we should head towards Mauville – that's where the next gym is.”

“Yeah, Mauville,” Edward said distractedly, still looking over the depressingly drab landscape. Nuria saw the look in his eyes and looked around as well.

“You know,” she said softly, “the news said, globally, roughly a million people have died. Through floods and rock slides. That's why we're doing this... to help people.”

A key word punctured Edward's chest. Millions? Thousands, he could imagine, but... millions. Edward's mind became a kaleidoscope of horrors – families drowning, children, newly orphaned, screaming for their parents whilst mothers and fathers mourned their losses.

What's wrong with me?

Edward knew that, merely a few days previous, news like that would have floored him, made him sob for hours on end. But, even though he knew he should, that he wanted to, no tears sprang to his eyes. Am I really that self-centered now? That I only feel sad if something directly affects me or- NO!

“Nuria!” Edward gasped suddenly, as though all the air had been knocked from his lungs, “my parents, your-”

“No, no they're fine,” Nuria said quickly, trying to sport a supportive smile. It looked odd on her. “I checked with my Mum about Littleroot – everything's okay, although a bit soggy.'

Edward tried to calmly breath in, but he couldn't steady his raging pulse. Mum...Dad... He knew it was childish – the apprehension that one's parents were invincible. But suddenly it became apparent to him – if the world died, so would they. After all they did for me...

He steeled his mind, trying to remember his sanity tactic from before – to distract himself. To leave no room in his head to think about the future. To flit seamlessly between random thoughts, so he wouldn't even remember choosing to forget. But how? The whole city looked dying, and-

“Wanna know something exciting though?” Nuria asked, almost shattering the negative mood. Instantly Edward latched onto the conversation, trying his best to absorb every syllable. “They say the route to Mauville is clogged with trainers. You know what that means?”

In spite of himself, Edward found himself smiling ever so slightly. Battles. Actual Trainer battles.. Shocked, Edward realised that he's only had three proper trainer battles: twp against Gym Leaders and one against Nuria. How have I only had three? That had been the reason for him starting his journey, anyway. And hadn't Latias said he should train his Pokemon, to make them a better, more cohesive unit?

“Yeah,” he said, his smile more pronounced. “By the way, I saw Celebi in my room upstairs.”

Nuria looked at Edward.

“Seriously?”

“Yeah. Did the nurse say anything about hallucinations? Because of the painkillers?”

“No, nothing like that.” Nuria crossed her arms. “So, what did it say? Or did it just pop in to say hi?”

“It was strange. It just looked at me and said 'Still too early', then disappeared.”

Nuria narrowed her eyes in thought.

“You're oddly calm about this, considering everything.”

“Yeah. Maybe I'm getting used to it.”

“So, a time-travelling Legendary looks at you then says 'too early'? You know what that means?.”

“That I'll meet it one day in the future? My thoughts exactly,” Edward agreed, nodding.

“But when?” Nuria asked.

“You know what? With all that's going on... I don't think I feel scared about an encounter with Celebi. It didn't seem scary or angry. A nice change, you know?”

“But still,” Nuria continued, “it is looking for you in a particular time. Aren't you curious to know when this is going to happen?”

“Sort of. Maybe the painkillers just null my sense of curiosity or something. I'm more excited, just at the moment, about doing some actual battles. Considering we have two gym badges, we haven't really done that much training.”

“Yeah,” Nuria said, and, taking his arm, started walking around the Pokemon centre to the path beside it. He was thankful for this; walking still hurt slightly, and with Nuria holding him up slightly he could almost feel nothing. Almost.

They began walking in silence, looking at the city which, due to the bleak, grey sky, looked dull and dead. Besides a harbour, museum and workshop, Edward spotted the contest hall at the opposite of the city, it's red, ribboned exterior doing little to make the scene any more pleasant.

Out of the few things he and Nuria had agreed on in their childhood, their views on contests were the same. Stupid. A complete distraction from the badge-quest. They'd both watch contests on the TV, laughing at the ridiculously dressed individuals who pranced around like fairies while pompously groomed Pokemon would jump up and down. They'd turn the sound off and commentate to make each other laugh.

After a while of walking, Edward found a way of walking which took the pain off his rib – it was awkward, yes, but it helped, and soon he was able to walk without Nuria, and he was even able to take his rucksack back.

As the forest came into view, Edward thought of something.

“What else did the news say?” he asked.

“Actually, quite a lot – some interesting stuff really. First, it's become illegal to use weather-affecting moves like Sunny Day and Rain Dance-”

“Why?” Edward asked, startled at that news.

“I'm getting to that! Anyway, they banned those moves because the effect is immense. Literally, a Ninetales somewhere in Orre used Sunny Day, and the intense heat that followed nearly hospitalised an entire city until the effect wore off. Then some bright spark in Kanto got his Milotic to use Rain Dance, and just like that," she clicked her fingers, "Pallet Town is submerged.”

“Whoa,” was all Edward could say.

“Whoa indeed,” Nuria nodded, “so now anybody who uses these moves will be arrested for at least a month. People still do it – the idiots who don't read the news or the rebels who think they're cool.”

“Any reason for this?” Edward asked, still dumbfounded.

“Some random scientists in Unova think that, without Kyogre or Groudon keeping balance, any weather effect has a comparably larger effect. Well, it's just a theory. The other thing,” she said, picking up the pace – Edward hadn't even noticed them slowing, “is that Terrence Pancel declared that he'd hunt down whatever killed Groudon and Kyogre and kill it.

“Suppose that's a reasonable threat, considering he's 'The marvelous champion of the Hoenn Region, his bravest feat being the capture of the legendary Moltres',” Edward intoned sarcastically, imitating a news broadcaster. Nuria didn't seem to see the funny side.

“More like a publicity stunt if you ask me. And a stupid one, considering what we know. The last bit, not really that important, is that they've started to monitor Rayquaza.”

“Oh. Wait, what?” Edward's senses sharpened as the comment hit him.

“Yeah. You know how the stories go: that Rayquaza would calm the fight between Groudon and Kyogre?”

“Sure,” Edward nodded impatiently, hoping she would hurry up. Who in Hoenn hasn't grown up hearing that legend?

“Well, you know in the picture books it would appear and the sky would clear? Well, grey clouds cover the whole world – except for one moving hole in the sky. Someone enhanced the image and saw the first ever photographic image of Rayquaza. So they're tracking it – making it like a TV show.”

“That's... that's just weird. They're just... filming it? Like it's a circus act? But it's running – can't people see it doesn't want to be followed?”

“Since when has anyone cared about stuff like that? According to the news, there has been lots of criticism from the RSPCP to leave it alone, but nobody really cares. They're too excited, I mean, it's a real, living legendary – for most people its a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.”

“'For most people',” Edward echoed dryly. Nuria let out a snort, and they continued walking for a while in silence, and in the distance Edward could make out the wide, beaten track saturated with people and Pokemon, the latter jumping around and running at each other. Far-off muffled sounds of battle soon evolved into the shouts of attacks, commands and encouragement.

Just before entering the entering the route boundary, Nuria stopped and turned to Edward.

“What do you say, meet back here at the end of the day?”

“Seriously?” Edward asked, grinning with excitement. “What about Mauville?”

“Meh – Mauville can wait – we'll stand a better chance again the gym if we train more.”

“Sure, meet here at five?” Edward asked, already taking a step into the route. Almost as soon as he had crossed the threshold of the route, a red-faced, sweaty young boy bounded over to him.

“I challenge you to a battle!” he yelled, holding out his Pokeball. Edward smiled at the challenge, reaching into his pocket for a Pokeball. Now this is what it's all about. This is why I wanted to be a trainer.

Deciding on a Pokeball, he withdrew and threw it high into the air – he was immediately met by a sharp pain in his torso, but he managed not to show it. The sphere burst open at the peak of its arc, and white light burst forth onto the floor, quickly solidifying into a surprised looking Nincada. However, at the sight of all the other trainer, he steeled himself and scratched his dark-brown claws.

As the Pokeball bounced back into Edward's outstretched hand, Edward's opponent bit his lip in indecision. Then, breaking into a smile, he picked out a Pokeball and threw it forward, a Combusken releasing itself onto the damp, dirt path. It hopped on the spot, its clawed feet scratching at the earth as its long, clawed arms flailed around. Edward's eyes widened. Is everyone's starter evolved but mine?

Jolting him back to his senses, Edward took out his Pokedex and looked up his party page. He read off their levels – Nincada – 16, Zubat – 13, Mudkip – 16. It should have evolved by now! Edward thought exasperatedly.

“Ember!” the trainer shouted, and instantly the beak-faced fire-type spat flaming hot pieces of ash at the insect, causing Nincada to shriek and jump back. That looked like it hurt, Edward noted, just before shouting his first command.

“Stay safe! Use Dig!”

Nincada, having just been digging on pure rock, dug through the soft earth with no problem, and instantly disappeared through the ground.

“Focus Energy!” the trainer yelled, the shade of his face getting darker red. Combusken planted its feet flat on the ground and bunched its hands into fists, the claws somehow managing not to pierce its skin. It brought it's arms up, and tensed its entire body, growling as it did.

“Now!” Edward roared, and immediately the ground below the fire-type collapsed, causing it to squawk, stumble and fall. “Fury Swipes!” Edward called, and Nincada's burst from the ground became a flurry of violent slashes with his front claws, mauling the fowl's legs. Edward noticed how the ferocity of each slash grew in savagery. He also hacked away for much longer than usual – He looks... angry? Edward realised. There was also something different with his eyes – they were narrowed, and his sharp jaws were bared.

“Double Kick it away!” Edward's enemy shouted hurriedly, and suddenly Nincada was sailing through the air before scraping to a rough stop on the damp earth. Before Edward could utter another command, however, Nincada jumped back up and turned towards the fire-type.

“Ember!” the trainer shouted, a clear tone of excitement in his voice.

“Dig,” Edward said in desperation, and Nincada disappeared below ground just before the embers hit.

Okay, what to do? Edward thought. He quickly looked at the Combusken, knowing there was little time left until its trainer ordered another attack. It looked a lot more attentive than it had at the beginning of the battle – obviously the bug was not as easy to squash as it expected. It was no longer jumping around, but stood guarded, glaring at the floor, one long arm covering a wound on its left leg, only partially hiding the crimson blood against the orange feathers.

Hmm...

“Nincada, see that cut on Combusken's leg? Use Dig and aim for that!”

Nincada little head suddenly popped its little head from the newly-dug hole, nodded in understanding, then disappeared downwards again.

“Bulk Up!” the other trainer shouted, his grin disappearing slightly. Combusken began flexing its muscles, its eyes and beak closed in concentration.

Nincada once again broke through the ground beneath the young fowl Pokemon, tackling it in its left leg.

“Fury Swipes,” Edward called, trying to keep his voice even. This is so cool!

“Jump away and use Ember!” his opponent shouted before Nincada could leave more than three scratches. His Pokemon crouched to jump, but it was obvious from its scrunched-up face that the exertion took its toll. Even so, the fire-type bounded out of the insect's reach, stumbled slightly, opened its mouth, and red-hot embers began streaking out at Nincada. Nincada screamed and tried to roll out of the way, but all the Combusken had to do was turn its head or take a step forward to continue the fiery onslaught. Nincada simply wasn't fast enough to escape.

“Dig! Dig!” Edward screamed, but to no avail. Either Nincada couldn't hear him, or he physically couldn't tunnel any further. After a few more seconds of obvious agony, Nincada collapsed, his energy spent.

Combusken stopped immediately, and began taking long, deep breaths, one arm slung across its chest and the other clutched to its leg. It didn't look too hurt, though, more tired. How many battles has that thing fought today? Edward wondered as he recalled Nincada.

“Mudkip, go!” Edward shouted, and soon the energetic blue pup burst out of the white plasma, crouching into a concentrated pouncing pose. “Water Gun!”

Mudkip stood up straight then leaned back, as though summoning his energy for the blast.

“Double Kick!” the other trainer yelled in desperation, and the Combusken ran forward, wincing every time it landed on its left leg.

Edward couldn't help but smirk. Does he really think Combusken could attack before Mudkip does?

If anything, all the Combusken's advance did was hurt the fowl further and bring it closer to Mudkip. Mudkip's Water Gun, far more powerful than anything the mud fish had done previously, knocked the Combusken flying, landing in a crumpled heap. It steadily got up, quaking, but another short burst of water put the fire-type down for good.

Edward's opponent stomped his feet a few times in frustration and recalled his Pokemon. Then he produced something Edward hadn't expected – an Ultra Ball. Dear God what's in that? Edward thought in both horror and amazement. Surely he hasn't been able to catch anything that powerful this early on?

The ball opened, and the Pokemon formed. Edward's jaw dropped.

The beast towered above the little Mudkip. Its blue skin was almost fully covered with navy hair that formed a mane around its face. Its strong forepaws, half furry and half blue and yellow striped, ended with great, clawed paws, like its hind legs. The most terrifying feature, however, was its eyes – yellow pupils and iris with the surrounding red 'whites'.

How the heck did he manage to catch a Luxray? Edward thought in awe.

The lion reared itself to full height and bellowed an ear-splitting roar at the comparatively insignificant Mudkip. The mud-fish stood, petrified, for a few seconds, taking in the scene of nightmares, then yelped and ran away to behind Edward's legs were he lay shaking, hiding his eyes with his front paws. Edward noticed many of the other trainers and Pokemon stopping their battles and looking over to the beast.

“Umm, you win, I give in,” Edward said nervously, eyeing the titan whilst thinking of his water and flying-type Pokemon.

“Yeah, thought you would,” the other trainer crowed, beaming wildly at all the attention he was receiving. The Luxray growled softly at the sound of its trainer's voice – and not in a kind way. It looked nervously around it, as though ashamed to be there. Still smiling confidently, the trainer withdrew the electric-type and walked over to Edward. “Good battle,” he said, a little too pompously for Edward's taste.

“Yeah,” Edward said evenly, extending a hand which the trainer promptly ignored.

“How did you...?” Edward left the question hanging in the air.

“Luxray? Caught her sleeping on the Route 102.”

“Sleeping? And it said it didn't mind being caught?” Edward asked, flummoxed. The other trainer winked knowingly at Edward.

“Well, does it really matter if I didn't educate her on certain trainer rules?” he asked, a hint of mirth in his voice.

Edward couldn't react for a second. The mere thought of what Bayleef would say – would do silenced him. He knew what the trainer had done was illegal, and shamefully so, but what could he actually say?

“Yeah,” Edward laughed awkwardly, eyeing the trainer, trying to recall his every feature. He made to leave, but suddenly remembered something. “Umm, so, what did you say your name was again? So I can search for your Pokedex number and ring you and stuff.”

“Tony Flitch. And you?”

“Edward. Edward Lance. Well, uh, see you later, Tony Flitch,” he tried to smile naturally but assumed it looked too false, and quickly hurried away, taking little time to recall Mudkip.

He looked around, skirting around battles trying to find Nuria. Although his movement was severely limited by the pains in his chest, he soon saw her near a copse of trees, training her eyes like an eagle on the surrounding plethora of battlers. When Edward appeared she jumped slightly, as though being shocked from a daze. Without giving her time to speak, Edward quickly muttered what had happened. For a few moment after she stood looking into thin air, her eyes narrowed in anger

“Should I sick Bayleef on him?” Nuria asked, a hint of hope in her voice.

“That's what I thought,” Edward chuckled, before returning to a more serious attitude. “Just remember his name in case I forget, all-right? Then we can tell someone at a Pokemon Centre.”

“Sure, sure,” she said, losing interest and waving him away, “we can do that later. Tonight. Before then, we'll just have fun, okay?”

Edward bit his lip. Naturally, he felt unsure about leaving this... this criminal free to win battles with a basically stolen Pokemon.

But the sounds of battling were so inviting. The commands of trainers, the roars of a multitude of Pokemon. Taking in the wonderful sight, he spotted a portable healing machine. His moral dilemma forgotten, Edward quickly walked over to the machine with long strides, winding around the fierce battles raging around him, all the while keeping an eye on potential rivals.

Hiding in the inky blackness of shadows behind a rotting tree stump, a small, unnoticed creature trained its eyes on the young boy skirting around the medley of Pokemon and humans.

“Almost,” it muttered to nobody.

And then it was gone.

Last edited:

Dragonfree

Just me
Hey. Nice to see you still at it. Some brief comments on the last couple of chapters; it's late and I don't have the energy right now to do a very thorough or structured review:

I still like how Edward and Nuria interact, although I kind of cringe when he starts mentally calling her a 'witch' or whatever.

While having characters be properly hospitalizably injured instead of just chugging on even as they go through things that would kill a normal human being several times over is cool, you kind of went too far in the other direction here. Nuria kneeing him while lying down should probably not break his rib, nor should Mudkip be able to break his spine simply by charging into his back, unless he has severe osteoporosis or something.

I'm pretty sure hospital painkillers are generally opioids, which are sedatives - Edward should definitely not be energized by them.

A doctor and a nurse are two different things, so when you describe the woman who comes in to explain Edward's injuries as a doctor and then moments later as a nurse, it doesn't really make sense.

The paragraph you have on contests in chapter 17 seems really extraneous - you only have Edward notice the Contest Hall in the first place so that he can mentally explain that contests are stupid and then move on to the next thing and never bring it up again. Without knowing what was actually going through your head, I can't help but get the feeling you were just voicing your own opinion on contests there. Either way it doesn't really seem to belong. If Edward and Nuria thinking contests are stupid becomes relevant later, you can bring it up then.

Edward seems a bit oddly overenthusiastic about battling here, especially what with it managing to seriously distract him from an instance of Pokémon abuse that he clearly finds disturbing. It's not like he hasn't battled for weeks or something (unless you meant to imply a timeskip between chapters 16 and 17), so it shouldn't be quite this important to him, I would think.

I'm intrigued by how you're actually doing stuff with the Pokémon treatment issue; Bayleef is turning out eerily right about things. Hope this is leading into further tackling of the matter.

Scaldaver

Limitless
Hey. Nice to see you still at it. Some brief comments on the last couple of chapters; it's late and I don't have the energy right now to do a very thorough or structured review:

I still like how Edward and Nuria interact, although I kind of cringe when he starts mentally calling her a 'witch' or whatever.

While having characters be properly hospitalizably injured instead of just chugging on even as they go through things that would kill a normal human being several times over is cool, you kind of went too far in the other direction here. Nuria kneeing him while lying down should probably not break his rib, nor should Mudkip be able to break his spine simply by charging into his back, unless he has severe osteoporosis or something.

I'm pretty sure hospital painkillers are generally opioids, which are sedatives - Edward should definitely not be energized by them.

A doctor and a nurse are two different things, so when you describe the woman who comes in to explain Edward's injuries as a doctor and then moments later as a nurse, it doesn't really make sense.

The paragraph you have on contests in chapter 17 seems really extraneous - you only have Edward notice the Contest Hall in the first place so that he can mentally explain that contests are stupid and then move on to the next thing and never bring it up again. Without knowing what was actually going through your head, I can't help but get the feeling you were just voicing your own opinion on contests there. Either way it doesn't really seem to belong. If Edward and Nuria thinking contests are stupid becomes relevant later, you can bring it up then.

Edward seems a bit oddly overenthusiastic about battling here, especially what with it managing to seriously distract him from an instance of Pokémon abuse that he clearly finds disturbing. It's not like he hasn't battled for weeks or something (unless you meant to imply a timeskip between chapters 16 and 17), so it shouldn't be quite this important to him, I would think.

I'm intrigued by how you're actually doing stuff with the Pokémon treatment issue; Bayleef is turning out eerily right about things. Hope this is leading into further tackling of the matter.

Thanks for the quick response, Dragonfree! I would have replied this morning, but stuff dragged on (I did, incidentally, see (and hate) Pokemon heroes for the first time).

Once again, your refreshing logic has me scurrying back to edit, but for those who have read it, here are some explanations:

1) The medical and anatomical inconsistencies can't really be explained well by me, so imma say that Nuria just happened to hit Edward just hard enough at the right angle, and Mudkip, raring for attack, had smashed into Edward as he meant to charge a foe, so that could do damage, if not break, a back, in my personal opinion (and if it hit at juuust the right angle....

It was really wise of you to a)think about the medicine and correlation to effects and b) know exactly what sort of medicine would be used in this situation, but I'm afraid that I'm going to have to play the 'different world, different medicine' rule. For all us, the audience, know, the medicine was made from Tropius fruit or Bellosom leaves...

I'll happily correct the nurse/doctor mistake (better just make her a doctor).

2) The part about contests.........no comment*shifty eyes*

3) Darn...I should have made it more obvious that he meant trainer Pokemon battles (after all, he's only taken on Nuria and two gym leaders, incidentally giving Edward a current 66.7% win rate). Anywho, it's nothing a little editing won't solve...

Overall, thank you for commenting, and thank's especially for all those nominations for my story -I'm really glad people like this.

Last edited:

Deadly.Braviary

Gotta say, Scaldy, this is shaping up to be on par with other epicfics I've read, like The Thinking Man's Guide to Destroying the World. That's one of the best fics I've ever read so that's some pretty high praise from me ;) Also, Scaldaver sounds like a combination of scald (as in burned by boiling hot water) and cadaver (a corpse).
Maybe you could kill someone off by having them drown in boiling hot water? I have a gruesome and demented mind.

Back on topic:

Millions? Thousands, he could imagine, but... millions. Edward's mind became a kaleidoscope of horrors – families drowning, children, newly orphaned, screaming for their parents whilst mothers and fathers mourned their losses.

Sh*t got way more real.

I like the touch of amping up Sunny Day and Rain Dance all the way, so that they're now quite possibly the most powerful moves known to mankind. But shouldn't Rayquaza be able to Air Lock all this? Oh wait, it ran - flew? - away. Damn, there goes my plothole.

Nitpick:
After all they did for me...[/]

You forgot to close the italics tag properly.

The other thing,” she said, picking up the pace – Edward hadn't even noticed them slowing, “is that Terrence Pancel – you know, Hoenn's champion - declared that he'd hunt down whatever killed Groudon and Kyogre and kill it.

The bolded bit seems a little info-dumpy. Perhaps you could just have her say that Terrence Pancel said he'd kill the legend-killer, and then Edward would gasp and say, "Hoenn's champion? The one with a big, freakin' Moltres?", or something like that. Also, the sentence is missing a double-quote to end Nuria's lines.

That aside, I worry for the poor man. Really. Moltres against something that decimated Groudon and Kyogre and scared Rayquaza into hiding? I pity Moltres.

By the way, the legend-killer seems an awful lot like Deoxys.

Also, I love how Edward is pissed with the public for going, "Ooh, Rayquaza! Never mind that it's actually scared out of its mind, let's track it down and make a documentary!" Rayquaza is already pretty nervy from the killer, so what happens when a bunch of humans with cameras come running after it? I anticipate severe consequences ...

“Yeah,” Edward said evenly, extending a hand which the trainer promptly ignored.

Technically, you don't have to change paragraphs if the same person is speaking, so this bit could all be merged like so:

“Yeah,” Edward said evenly, extending a hand which the trainer promptly ignored. He began to ask, “How did you...?”, but left the question hanging in the air.

I liked that you show not all trainers are scrupulous. I read it as a subtle way of pointing out that the way the games show trainers is overly black-and-white (ironically, Black and White are more mature in this respect by making Team Plasma hypocrites), but I assume you were simply trying to show that some people are *ssholes.

The beast towered above the little Mudkip, it's blue skin almost fully covered with navy hair, forming a mane around its face

Again, this bit feels a little unwieldy, and the 'it's' should be an 'its'. Try lopping off the bit after 'the little Mudkip' and making that a new sentence: "Its blue skin was almost fully covered with navy hair, that formed a mane around its face." The tense switch midway is also a little disconcerting.

Aside from those grammar-y nitpicks (I'm a Grammar Nazi, what do you expect?), this was another good chapter. The first part is cleverly disguised exposition, and the battle in the second part was fantastically well-written. Especially the way you made Luxray so menacing, seeing as it's a pretty awesome Pokemon. Plus, Edward is still conflicted inside. We'll see how this gets resolved later on, perhaps?

And finally, that intriguing little sign-off was possibly one of the most minimalistic cliffhangers I've seen. No build-up at all. Just a forest, a tree stump, and an unknown Pokemon. That single word - "almost" - hits you with so much power. It's like being whacked in the face with a car. I assume that was Celebi?

Whoever the mystery Pokemon was, this fic continues to reek of intrigue and suspense. The epic-ness is finally beginning to show itself, and now I leave you with a slightly modified quote from God only knows who: Oh, Scaldy, Scaldy, what a tangled web of legends you weave.

Scaldaver

Limitless
Gotta say, Scaldy,

Aaaaaand you're my new best friend :)

this is shaping up to be on par with other epicfics I've read, like The Thinking Man's Guide to Destroying the World. That's one of the best fics I've ever read so that's some pretty high praise from me ;) Also, Scaldaver sounds like a combination of scald (as in burned by boiling hot water) and cadaver (a corpse).
Maybe you could kill someone off by having them drown in boiling hot water? I have a gruesome and demented mind.

Hmm, Ihaven't read that fic, but thanks for the praise! Scaldaver was originally the name of the main Protagonist in a story I'd like to write before I realised 'v's were fairly overused and the name sounded too stereotypical (I intened the 'Scal' to both mean 'scale' and 'scald').

Back on topic:

I like the touch of amping up Sunny Day and Rain Dance all the way, so that they're now quite possibly the most powerful moves known to mankind. But shouldn't Rayquaza be able to Air Lock all this? Oh wait, it ran - flew? - away. Damn, there goes my plothole.

Yeah, I always toyed with the idea of these moves actually doing something better than affecting move powers. I always thought 'Shouldn't these moves screw with the ecosystem? What if someone uses Sunny Day in the Arctic, would the world flood?'.
Nitpick:

You forgot to close the italics tag properly.

Corrected.

The bolded bit seems a little info-dumpy. Perhaps you could just have her say that Terrence Pancel said he'd kill the legend-killer, and then Edward would gasp and say, "Hoenn's champion? The one with a big, freakin' Moltres?", or something like that. Also, the sentence is missing a double-quote to end Nuria's lines.

Never thought about that before. I'll make suitable changes.

That aside, I worry for the poor man. Really. Moltres against something that decimated Groudon and Kyogre and scared Rayquaza into hiding? I pity Moltres.

There's always that little vain guy in power, isn't there?

By the way, the legend-killer seems an awful lot like Deoxys.

How so?

Also, I love how Edward is pissed with the public for going, "Ooh, Rayquaza! Never mind that it's actually scared out of its mind, let's track it down and make a documentary!" Rayquaza is already pretty nervy from the killer, so what happens when a bunch of humans with cameras come running after it? I anticipate severe consequences ...

*Cackles maniacally*

Technically, you don't have to change paragraphs if the same person is speaking, so this bit could all be merged like so:

I'll not sure whether or not to take you up on that suggestion. I just wanted to make it seem like a new topic was introduced.... I'll re-read and decide.

I liked that you show not all trainers are scrupulous. I read it as a subtle way of pointing out that the way the games show trainers is overly black-and-white (ironically, Black and White are more mature in this respect by making Team Plasma hypocrites), but I assume you were simply trying to show that some people are *ssholes.

Well, one of my main objectives of this fic is to break down stereotypes, and I'm glad it's working for everybody!

Again, this bit feels a little unwieldy, and the 'it's' should be an 'its'. Try lopping off the bit after 'the little Mudkip' and making that a new sentence: "Its blue skin was almost fully covered with navy hair, that formed a mane around its face." The tense switch midway is also a little disconcerting.

OOh, sorry, that is rather ugly. I'll change it.

Aside from those grammar-y nitpicks (I'm a Grammar Nazi, what do you expect?), this was another good chapter. The first part is cleverly disguised exposition, and the battle in the second part was fantastically well-written. Especially the way you made Luxray so menacing, seeing as it's a pretty awesome Pokemon. Plus, Edward is still conflicted inside. We'll see how this gets resolved later on, perhaps?

And finally, that intriguing little sign-off was possibly one of the most minimalistic cliffhangers I've seen. No build-up at all. Just a forest, a tree stump, and an unknown Pokemon. That single word - "almost" - hits you with so much power. It's like being whacked in the face with a car. I assume that was Celebi?

Whoever the mystery Pokemon was, this fic continues to reek of intrigue and suspense. The epic-ness is finally beginning to show itself, and now I leave you with a slightly modified quote from God only knows who: Oh, Scaldy, Scaldy, what a tangled web of legends you weave.

Thanks for all the compliments! The new chapter should be out soon, so I hope you enjoy that too!

I'd also like to say that, as of this being written, the views are OVER NINETHOUSAAAAAAAAND! *WOOHOO!*

Last edited:

T-Bolt

Electrifying.
In my opinion, any fic with a legendary killer is awesome.

I couldn't find any errors when I read through the chapter. However after a great amount of theorizing and research, I was able to discover the identity of the legendary killer-

A genetically modified Magikarp! =)

Just kidding. But the identity has really got me stumped. It's probably an original species or a psychopathic Arceus. Or was it inspired by the silver surfer, from fantastic four?

Anyway, could I be added to the PM list?

Last edited:

Blue Saturday

Unfurl your Blessed Wings!
Chapter 3

Here for the Review Game again!
The murderer looked down toward its recently dead quarry. A tear rolled down its cheek.

“I am so sorry,” it said, nothing other than sincerity in its voice.

It turned once. And vanished.
I think it would just have been awesome if you spent more time on this piece of, what I assume to be, cryptic foreshadowing. It was really short and snappy, while it's true I think it's good you didn't add fluff for the sake of length, possibly maybe really get into the details and depth of things with this scenes would have been more enticing for the reader. It would hype up the reader for the future reveal of what this just mean, while I'm somewhat interested I really think you could do more with this scene to peak my interest more than what you did.

High above, in the open air, the rain began to fall.
There really is no need for the "the" in "the rain." I personally would just say rain began to fall since it makes the sentence less wordy. Watch out for little moments like that, it makes your description and words flow better.
He was surprised to see the dark, swirling mass of the rain clouds obscuring the sun.
More unneeded "the"s.

The rain began to fall.
A Pokemon Centre.
Center*

“...and after such an eruption both Larvaridge and Fallarbor Town are now encased in lava.
"Lavaridge."

An archorman sat at a desk with camera footage of the carnage behind him.
"Anchorman."

Bright orange molten rock was streaming down
Remember to use commas with items in a series, "Bright, orange, molten rock....."

Bright orange molten rock was streaming down from Mount Chimney, grey and white ash filling the air above as a torrential downpour fell from the swirling clouds above. At the base of the mountain the lava had pooled and filled up most of the valleys around. As the rain lashed the pyroclastic flow it vaporised, rising as steam, creating a fog. In one area the lava was being buffeted by sandstorm as the slow flowing liquid's heat formed glass crystals in the sand dunes. The shot changed to the lava rolling gradually into the water near Fallarbor Town, vaporising the liquid on contact. The shot changed again, to the sight of a hundred far-off flying types soaring into the distance. The reporter raised his voice, knocking Edward out of his stupor.
Remember, "vaporizing" is how it's suppose to be spelled. Also is there anyway this description can be delivered without it coming off as a block of info-dump? While it's not a huge cause for concern and might not be relevant to your current skill level since this is just Chapter 3 I'm reviewing and you have released a far more immense amounts of chapters, that's just something I wanted to point out.
Flecked in cooling rock and dripping wet at the same time was a massive creature on its stomach, dinosaur like with blood red plating. Between the chinks formed a black pattern, but lava had flown up so many of the seams that the pattern had become almost indiscernible. Massive jutting spikes shot out from the sides of its neck, lower chest and tail. At the end of the tail, which was stuck in position high above the creature were blood red razors, each sharper than the next. Upon its head were similar red razors, and one of the creature's gargantuan arms with cleaver-like claws hung suspended at its side. The other was submerged in the molten stew, as was its face.
Same thing here, it just comes off as listing. While there's nothing wrong with listing once in a while in my opinion, intermixing description and detail with general things works better without unengrossing(Not a word :p) the reader from what else you have going on.

He'd only ever seen pictures, artist's impressions, but somehow he knew this was the real thing. There could be no doubt that this was the ancient Continent Pokemon. Yet it was lunacy, impossible to believe. What sort of creature could have possibly does this?

Edward looked outside again, in want of any other fitting action. The deluge. Of course. Ancient tales dictated that Groudon had a nemesis. An equal. A titan of the sea, that made the oceans of the world by causing continuous and unending rain that could flood the world. But, the tale dictated, Groudon balanced this by intensifying the sun's rays, causing drought. Together they kept the world's weather in balance.

And now Groudon was... was... gone....He couldn't bear to think about it.
I think this would all have a bigger impact and be better if you showed it rather than told. Nothing wrong with telling in drab scenes or scenes that aren't relevant to the story at hand but having some dialogue between Edward and Nuria or reading both of the kids' internal thoughts so we can see them weigh in on Groudon would have been better imo.

It was a solid set-up chapter, we get to see how Chikorita is connecting with her trainer to an extent at the beginning. I still find it awfully peculiar that Nuria would get a Chikorita in Hoenn of all places. Burch just so happens to have a Chikorita? I really would have liked some justification for just why exactly he would have a Johto-specific starter to give away to a new trainer. It does seem like you just wanted Nuria to have a Chikorita for the sake of having a Chikorita. While there's nothing wrong with a little more detail on that would have been nice, just my two-cents. Ralts, rare in Hoenn? :p Seems weird they would be rare since Ralts hail from Hoenn and I figured they would be a normal Pokemon to see around the area. I guess it makes sense they would be rare in the sense they're a minimal species but not rare in the sense that you would, for-say, find a wild Cyndaquil in Hoenn. Luxio packs in Hoenn? The Shift really does seem to have added some diversity to the area, I still can't believe so many Ralts were killed off by Luxio though.

We get our first piece of foreshadowing of a capture that will work as a foil to Mudkip's weaknesses. Same thing regarding the two Hoenn Legendaries, I'm still curious what you've got planned for the future and how Nuria and Edward will change as characters(or remain the same) from this point on.

Last edited:

Scaldaver

Limitless
In my opinion, any fic with a legendary killer is awesome.

Brofist!

I couldn't find any errors when I read through the chapter. However after a great amount of theorizing and research, I was able to discover the identity of the legendary killer-

A genetically modified Magikarp! =)
Damn you *quickly reworks plot* There, that's better...

Anyway, could I be added to the PM list?

Sure thing!

Hey, Doryuzu, thanks for the review! I don't have much time to go through each point fully here, but I'll try to:

Thanks for pointing out all the typos (although we spell it 'vaporising' here in England) and helpful suggestions on reworking sentences!

The excessive use of 'the' in the first bit you mentioned is due to me trying to highlight the clouds etc, and I think it works fairly well. You're right in the other cases, though, so I will go back and double check.

About the info-dumping - that's actually the aim, as lots of information is being piled up due to this being a TV show watched (i.e, cameras change viewpoint alot).

The Chikorita's appearance is explained in Chapter 1, actually. Why exactly did you only review chapter three? Just curious.

Anyways, thanks alot for all the help, Doryuzu, and I hope you keep reading!

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
Chapter 17
Battles

After sluggishly getting dressed and popping to the toilet, Edward slowly descended the marble stairs, gripping the handrail as tightly as possible. Why is everything so damn painful?

Finally getting to the bottom floor, Edward had to stop for a second to catch his breath. He couldn't breathe as deeply without a sharp jab of pain, so took as small a breathes as his ribs could allow. Taking one last little gulp of air, he looked toward the door; sure enough, Nuria was standing there, both his and her rucksack slung over each of her shoulders.

That should be "breath."

“Thought I'd lighten your load,” Nuria said with a smile, holding out five miniaturised Pokeballs and a pink Pokedex. He took and pushed them into his pocket, then raised his eyebrows as Nuria produced a small, clear tube containing many white pills. “Painkillers,” she elaborated, “from the nurse.”

I like that little gesture of kindness Nuria showed Edward just now.

“Thanks. So,” he said, stepping through as the automatic door opened, “where are we going?”

He looked around as he got outside. He'd never been to Slateport before, but had it been a sunnier day it would have been easy to imagine this as a popular tourist destination: beyond the light, tiled paths that wound around various market places, a great expanse of golden sand lay undisturbed by the beach.

But there was also a ghostly quality about the area: the various stalls looked rotting and abandoned, litter lay undisturbed and sopping wet along the pavement, and the golden sand looked depressingly filthy next to the still, grey ocean, there being no sunlight to brighten the place up.

This is something I think gives this story a unique quality - the setting you're using. It's important to remember the apocalyptic events going on, and that description of Slateport's ghostly qualities captures it perfectly.

“Well, unless you want to compete in those ridiculous contests or Battle Tents, we should head towards Mauville – that's where the next gym is.”

“Yeah, Mauville,” Edward said distractedly, still looking over the depressingly drab landscape. Nuria saw the look in his eyes and looked around as well.

“You know,” she said softly, “the news said, globally, roughly a million people have died. Through floods and rock slides. That's why we're doing this... to help people.”

A key word punctured Edward's chest. Millions? Thousands, he could imagine, but... millions. Edward's mind became a kaleidoscope of horrors – families drowning, children, newly orphaned, screaming for their parents whilst mothers and fathers mourned their losses.

That is heavy, and it did hit me with the kind of impact I think you intended, but wouldn't global weather disasters on this scale kill even more than that? Tens of millions, even?

But maybe we just haven't gone that far yet.

The emotions here are something I like. Nuria's attempts to comfort Edward and his attempts to cope with the scope of the disasters especially stand out.

What's wrong with me?

Edward knew that, merely a few days previous, news like that would have floored him, made him sob for hours on end. But, even though he knew he should, that he wanted to, no tears sprang to his eyes. Am I really that self-centred now? That I only feel sad if something directly affects me or- NO!

"self-centered," though I think I know why you wrote it the way you did.

“Nuria!” Edward gasped suddenly, as though all the air had been knocked from his lungs, “my parents, your-”

“No, no they're fine,” Nuria said quickly, trying to sport a supportive smile. It looked odd on her. “I checked with my Mum about Littleroot – everything's okay, although a bit soggy.'

Edward tried to calmly breath in, but he couldn't steady his raging pulse. Mum...Dad... He knew it was childish – the apprehension that one's parents were invincible. But suddenly it became apparent to him – if the world died, so would they. After all they did for me...

He steeled his mind, trying to remember his sanity tactic from before – to distract himself. To leave no room in his head to think about the future. To flit seamlessly between random thoughts, so he wouldn't even remember choosing to forget. But how? The whole city looked dying, and-

The writing rambles a slight bit here, but that's okay, because Edward's thoughts are clearly not proceeding in an orderly fashion. In that sense, the way you wrote this section helps the reader tune into what's going on.

“Wanna know something exciting though?” Nuria asked, almost shattering the negative mood. Instantly Edward latched onto the conversation, trying his best to absorb every syllable. “They say the route to Mauville is clogged with trainers. You know what that means?”

In spite of himself, Edward found himself smiling ever so slightly. Battles. Actual Trainer battles.. Shocked, Edward realised that he's only had three proper trainer battles: twp against Gym Leaders and one against Nuria. How have I only had three? That had been the reason for him starting his journey, anyway. And hadn't Latias said he should train his Pokemon, to make them a better, more cohesive unit?

Hmm. The tone shift to a more trainer-oriented one feels a little odd. I wonder if you could somehow connect the previous topic with this one a bit more clearly somehow.

“Yeah,” he said, his smile more pronounced. “By the way, I saw Celebi in my room upstairs.”

Nuria looked at Edward.

“Seriously?”

“Yeah. Did the nurse say anything about hallucinations? Because of the painkillers?”

“No, nothing like that.” Nuria crossed her arms. “So, what did it say? Or did it just pop in to say hi?”

“It was strange. It just looked at me and said 'Still too early', then disappeared.”

Nuria narrowed her eyes in thought.

“You're oddly calm about this, considering everything.”

Nuria's reaction is appropriate here, I think, as Edward does seem to be underplaying Celebi quite vastly.

“Yeah. Maybe I'm getting used to it.”

“So, a time-travelling Legendary looks at you then says 'too early'? You know what that means?.”

“That I'll meet it one day in the future? My thoughts exactly,” Edward agreed, nodding.

“But when?” Nuria asked.

“You know what? With all that's going on... I don't think I feel scared about an encounter with Celebi. It didn't seem scary or angry. A nice change, you know?”

Of course, that probably means that Celebi will turn out to be the exact opposite.

“But still,” Nuria continued, “it is looking for you in a particular time. Aren't you curious to know when this is going to happen?”

“Sort of. Maybe the painkillers just null my sense of curiosity or something. I'm more excited, just at the moment, about doing some actual battles. Considering we have two gym badges, we haven't really done that much training.”

“Yeah,” Nuria said, and, taking his arm, started walking around the Pokemon centre to the path beside it. He was thankful for this; walking still hurt slightly, and with Nuria holding him up slightly he could almost feel nothing. Almost.

I'm kind of glad to get out of that hospital scene, because it was beginning to drag due to Edward underplaying Celebi's importance.

They walking in silence, looking at the city which, due to the bleak, grey sky, looked dull and dead. Besides a harbour, museum and workshop, Edward spotted the contest hall at the opposite of the city, it's red, ribboned exterior doing little to make the scene any more pleasant.

"They were walking in silence."

Out of the few things he and Nuria had agreed with in their childhood, their views on contests were the same. Stupid. A complete distraction from the badge-quest. They'd both watch contests on the TV, laughing at the ridiculously dressed individuals who pranced around like fairies while pompously groomed Pokemon would jump up and down. They'd turn the sound off and commentate to make each other laugh.

Wouldn't "agreed on" sound better than "agreed with?"

After a while of walking, Edward found a way of walking which took the pain off his rib – it was awkward, yes, but it helped, and soon he was able to walk without Nuria, and he was even able to take his rucksack back.

As the forest came into view, Edward thought of something.

“What else did the news say?” he asked.

“Actually, quite a lot – some interesting stuff really. First, it's become illegal to use weather-affecting moves like Sunny Day and Rain Dance-”

“Why?” Edward asked, startled at that news.

“I'm getting to that! Anyway, they banned those moves because the effect is immense. Literally, a Ninetales somewhere in Orre used Sunny Day, and the intense heat that followed nearly hospitalised an entire city until the effect wore off. Then some bright spark in Kanto got his Milotic to use Rain Dance, and just like that," she clicked her fingers, "Pallet Town is submerged.”

I love this idea. It's a great way to expand upon the base of the controllers of the weather being gone.

“Whoa,” was all Edward could say.

“Whoa indeed,” Nuria nodded, “so now anybody who uses these moves will be arrested for at least a month. People still do it – the idiots who don't read the news or the rebels who think they're cool.”

That seems a little arbitrary. I'm surprised that what sounds like a newly-enacted emergency measure seems to have a specific punishment in place already.

“Any reason for this?” Edward asked, still dumbfounded.

“Some random scientists in Unova think that, without Kyogre or Groudon keeping balance, any weather effect has a comparably larger effect. Well, it's just a theory. The other thing,” she said, picking up the pace – Edward hadn't even noticed them slowing, “is that Terrence Pancel declared that he'd hunt down whatever killed Groudon and Kyogre and kill it.

“Suppose that's a reasonable threat, considering he's 'The marvelous champion of the Hoenn Region, his bravest feat being the capture of the legendary Moltres',” Edward intoned sarcastically, imitating a news broadcaster. Nuria didn't seem to see the funny side.

That's a good way to introduce him. I'm sure he'll have a role to play later.

“More like a publicity stunt if you ask me. And a stupid one, considering what we know. The last bit, not really that important, is that they've started to monitor Rayquaza.”

“Oh. Wait, what?” Edward's senses sharpened as the comment hit him.

“Yeah. You know how the stories go: that Rayquaza would calm the fight between Groudon and Kyogre?”

“Sure,” Edward nodded impatiently, hoping she would hurry up. Who in Hoenn hasn't grown up hearing that legend?

“Well, you know in the picture books it would appear and the sky would clear? Well, grey clouds cover the whole world – except for one moving hole in the sky. Someone enhanced the image and saw the first ever photographic image of Rayquaza. So they're tracking it – making it like a TV show.”

First ever photographic image? Is it correct to assume, then, that the events of the games did not happen, meaning none of the player characters ever saw Rayquaza?

“That's... that's just weird. They're just... filming it? Like it's a circus act? But it's running – can't people see it doesn't want to be followed?”

“Since when has anyone cared about stuff like that? According to the news, there has been lots of criticism from the RSPCP to leave it alone, but nobody really cares. They're too excited, I mean, it's a real, living legendary – for most people its a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.”

Possibly a last-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

“'For most people',” Edward echoed dryly. Nuria let out a snort, and they continued walking for a while in silence, and in the distance Edward could make out the wide, beaten track saturated with people and Pokemon, the latter jumping around and running at each other. Far-off muffled sounds of battle soon evolved into the shouts of attacks, commands and encouragement.

Just before entering the entering the route boundary, Nuria stopped and turned to Edward.

“What do you say, meet back here at the end of the day?”

“Seriously?” Edward asked, grinning with excitement. “What about Mauville?”

“Meh – Mauville can wait – we'll stand a better chance again the gym if we train more.”

“Sure, meet here at five?” Edward asked, already taking a step into the route. Almost as soon as he had crossed the threshold of the route, a red-faced, sweaty young boy bounded over to him.

“I challenge you to a battle!” he yelled, holding out his Pokeball. Edward smiled at the challenge, reaching into his pocket for a Pokeball. Now this is what it's all about. This is why I wanted to be a trainer.

Deciding on a Pokeball, he withdrew and threw it high into the air – he was immediately met by a sharp pain in his torso, but he managed not to show it. The sphere burst open at the peak of its arc, and white light burst forth onto the floor, quickly solidifying into a surprised looking Nincada. However, at the sight of all the other trainer, he steeled himself and scratched his dark-brown claws.

As the Pokeball bounced back into Edward's outstretched hand, Edward's opponent bit his lip in indecision. Then, breaking into a smile, he picked out a Pokeball and threw it forward, a Combusken releasing itself onto the damp, dirt path. It hopped on the spot, its clawed feet scratching at the earth as its long, clawed arms flailed around. Edward's eyes widened. Is everyone's starter evolved but mine?

Jolting him back to his senses, Edward took out his Pokedex and looked up his party page. He read off their levels – Nincada – 16, Zubat – 13, Mudkip – 16. It should have evolved by now! Edward thought exasperatedly.

Interesting. I guess that will be followed up on sometime?

“Ember!” the trainer shouted, and instantly the beak-faced fire-type spat flaming hot pieces of ash at the insect, causing Nincada to shriek and jump back. That looked like it hurt, Edward noted, just before shouting his first command.

“Stay safe! Use Dig!”

Nincada, having just been digging on pure rock, dug through the soft earth with no problem, and instantly disappeared through the ground.

Ooh, I like that bit of consistency regarding what Nincada's been digging through.

“Focus Energy!” the trainer yelled, the shade of his face getting darker red. Combusken planted its feet flat on the ground and bunched its hands into fists, the claws somehow managing not to pierce its skin. It brought it's arms up, and tensed its entire body, growling as it did.

“Now!” Edward roared, and immediately the ground below the fire-type collapsed, causing it to squawk, stumble and fall. “Fury Swipes!” Edward called, and Nincada's burst from the ground became a flurry of violent slashes with his front claws, mauling the fowl's legs. Edward noticed how the ferocity of each slash grew in savagery. He also hacked away for much longer than usual – He looks... angry? Edward realised. There was also something different with his eyes – they were narrowed, and his sharp jaws were bared.

"the ferocity of each slash grew in savagery" is a bit repetitive. You could probably drop the "in savagery" part, making it "the ferocity of each slash grew."

“Double Kick it away!” Edward's enemy shouted hurriedly, and suddenly Nincada was sailing through the air before scraping to a rough stop on the damp earth. Before Edward could utter another command, however, Nincada jumped back up and turned towards the fire-type.

“Ember!” the trainer shouted, a clear tone of excitement in his voice.

“Dig,” Edward said in desperation, and Nincada disappeared below ground just before the embers hit.

You should probably use a word or term other than "embers" to describe the Ember attack. That's just to make sure everyone knows exactly what it is if they do not know what an ember is already.

Okay, what to do? Edward thought. He quickly looked at the Combusken, knowing there was little time left until its trainer ordered another attack. It looked a lot more attentive than it had at the beginning of the battle – obviously the bug was not as easy to squash as it expected. It was no longer jumping around, but stood guarded, glaring at the floor, one long arm covering a wound on its left leg, only partially hiding the crimson blood against the orange feathers.

Hmm...

“Nincada, see that cut on Combusken's leg? Use Dig and aim for that!”

Nincada little head suddenly popped its little head from the newly-dug hole, nodded in understanding, then disappeared downwards again.

“Bulk Up!” the other trainer shouted, his grin disappearing slightly. Combusken began flexing its muscles, its eyes and beak closed in concentration.

Nincada once again broke through the ground beneath the young fowl Pokemon, tackling it in its left leg.

I feel like the other trainer should have done something more to protect Combusken from the weak point on its leg, given that Edward gave him a large advance warning about it.

“Fury Swipes,” Edward called, trying to keep his voice even. This is so cool!

“Jump away and use Ember!” his opponent shouted before Nincada could leave more than three scratches. His Pokemon crouched to jump, but it was obvious from its scrunched-up face that the exertion took its toll. Even so, the fire-type bounded out of the insect's reach, stumbled slightly, opened its mouth, and red-hot embers streaking out at Nincada. Nincada screamed and tried to roll out of the way, but all the Combusken had to do was turn its head or take a step forward to continue the fiery onslaught. Nincada simply wasn't fast enough to escape.

I think you are missing a word between "and" and "red-hot."

“Dig! Dig!” Edward screamed, but to no avail. Either Nincada couldn't hear him, or he physically couldn't tunnel any further. After a few more seconds of obvious agony, Nincada collapsed, his energy spent.

Combusken stopped immediately, and began taking long, deep breaths, one arm slung across its chest and the other clutched to its leg. It didn't look too hurt, though, more tired. How many battles has that thing fought today? Edward wondered as he recalled Nincada.

“Mudkip, go!” Edward shouted, and soon the energetic blue pup burst out of the white plasma, crouching into a concentrated pouncing pose. “Water Gun!”

Mudkip stood up straight then leaned back, as though summoning his energy for the blast.

“Double Kick!” the other trainer yelled in desperation, and the Combusken ran forward, wincing every time it landed on its left leg.

Edward couldn't help but smirk. Does he really think Combusken could attack before Mudkip does?

If anything, all the Combusken's advance did was hurt the fowl further and bring it closer to Mudkip. Mudkip's Water Gun, far more powerful than anything the mud fish had done previously, knocked the Combusken flying, landing in a crumpled heap. It steadily got up, quaking, but another short burst of water put the fire-type down for good.

Edward's opponent stomped his feet a few times in frustration and recalled his Pokemon. Then he produced something Edward hadn't expected – an Ultra Ball. Dear God what's in that? Edward thought in both horror and amazement. Surely he hasn't been able to catch anything that powerful this early on?

The ball opened, and the Pokemon formed. Edward's jaw dropped.

The beast towered above the little Mudkip. Its blue skin was almost fully covered with navy hair that formed a mane around its face. Its strong forepaws, half furry and half blue and yellow striped, ended with great, clawed paws, like its hind legs. The most terrifying feature, however, was its eyes – yellow pupils and iris with the surrounding red 'whites'.

How the heck did he manage to catch a Luxray? Edward thought in awe.

Well now, that was quite the surprise. A Luxray in Hoenn, owned by a trainer who for all appearances looked to be fairly new. Great twist.

The lion reared itself to full height and bellowed an ear-splitting roar at the comparatively insignificant Mudkip. The mud-fish stood, petrified, for a few seconds, taking in the scene of nightmares, then yelped and ran away to behind Edward's legs were he lay shaking, hiding his eyes with his front paws. Edward noticed many of the other trainers and Pokemon stopping their battles and looking over to the beast.

“Umm, you win, I give in,” Edward said nervously, eyeing the titan whilst thinking of his water and flying-type Pokemon.

“Yeah, thought you would,” the other trainer crowed, beaming wildly at all the attention he was receiving. The Luxray growled softly at the sound of its trainer's voice – and not in a kind way. It looked nervously around it, as though ashamed to be there. Still smiling confidently, the trainer withdrew the electric-type and walked over to Edward. “Good battle,” he said, a little too pompously for Edward's taste.

I get the feeling this kid has won a lot of other battles through sheer intimidation with his Luxray like this.

“Luxray? Caught her sleeping on the Route 102.”

“Sleeping? And it said it didn't mind being caught?” Edward asked, flummoxed. The other trainer winked knowingly at Edward.

“Well, does it really matter if I didn't educate her on certain trainer rules?” he asked, a hint of mirth in his voice.

Edward couldn't react for a second. The mere thought of what Bayleef would say – would do silenced him. He knew what the trainer had done was illegal, and shamefully so, but what could he actually say?

Oh yeah, Bayleef would have a field day with this kid.

I get the feeling he might be recurring. The setup of what he did with Luxray begs to be followed up on.

“Yeah,” Edward laughed awkwardly, eyeing the trainer, trying to recall his every feature. He made to leave, but suddenly remembered something. “Umm, so, what did you say your name was again? So I can search for your Pokedex number and ring you and stuff.”

“Tony Flitch. And you?”

“Edward. Edward Lance. Well, uh, see you later, Tony Flitch,” he tried to smile naturally but assumed it looked too false, and quickly hurried away, taking little time to recall Mudkip.

He looked around, skirting around battles trying to find Nuria. Although his movement was severely limited by the pains in his chest, he soon saw her near a copse of trees, training her eyes like an eagle on the surrounding plethora of battlers. When Edward appeared she jumped slightly, as though being shocked from a daze. Without giving her time to speak, Edward quickly muttered what had happened. For a few moment after she stood looking into thin air, her eyes narrowed in anger

“Should I sick Bayleef on him?” Nuria asked, a hint of hope in her voice.

Aha, Nuria, you wouldn't mind doing that, would you?

Hiding in the inky blackness of shadows behind a rotting tree stump, a small, unnoticed creature trained its eyes on the young boy skirting around the medley of Pokemon and humans.

“Almost,” it muttered to nobody.

And then it was gone.

Ooh, neat, a cliffhanger. I wonder if it was Celebi or a different Legendary.

This chapter was pretty good. It was a noticeable change of pace and mood after the preceding chapters. That's actually something I want to bring up: sometimes it feels like the fact that the world is falling apart is pushed slightly to the background, which is a little unusual given the circumstances. There are times when you do tie it into ordinary happenings, such as the ban on weather-altering moves, but I feel like there's just a little bit of inconsistency regarding it.

Last edited:

Scaldaver

Limitless
That should be "breath."

I like that little gesture of kindness Nuria showed Edward just now.

This is something I think gives this story a unique quality - the setting you're using. It's important to remember the apocalyptic events going on, and that description of Slateport's ghostly qualities captures it perfectly.

That is heavy, and it did hit me with the kind of impact I think you intended, but wouldn't global weather disasters on this scale kill even more than that? Tens of millions, even?

But maybe we just haven't gone that far yet.

The emotions here are something I like. Nuria's attempts to comfort Edward and his attempts to cope with the scope of the disasters especially stand out.

"self-centered," though I think I know why you wrote it the way you did.

The writing rambles a slight bit here, but that's okay, because Edward's thoughts are clearly not proceeding in an orderly fashion. In that sense, the way you wrote this section helps the reader tune into what's going on.

Hmm. The tone shift to a more trainer-oriented one feels a little odd. I wonder if you could somehow connect the previous topic with this one a bit more clearly somehow.

Nuria's reaction is appropriate here, I think, as Edward does seem to be underplaying Celebi quite vastly.

Of course, that probably means that Celebi will turn out to be the exact opposite.

I'm kind of glad to get out of that hospital scene, because it was beginning to drag due to Edward underplaying Celebi's importance.

"They were walking in silence."

Wouldn't "agreed on" sound better than "agreed with?"

I love this idea. It's a great way to expand upon the base of the controllers of the weather being gone.

That seems a little arbitrary. I'm surprised that what sounds like a newly-enacted emergency measure seems to have a specific punishment in place already.

That's a good way to introduce him. I'm sure he'll have a role to play later.

First ever photographic image? Is it correct to assume, then, that the events of the games did not happen, meaning none of the player characters ever saw Rayquaza?

Possibly a last-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

Interesting. I guess that will be followed up on sometime?

Ooh, I like that bit of consistency regarding what Nincada's been digging through.

"the ferocity of each slash grew in savagery" is a bit repetitive. You could probably drop the "in savagery" part, making it "the ferocity of each slash grew."

You should probably use a word or term other than "embers" to describe the Ember attack. That's just to make sure everyone knows exactly what it is if they do not know what an ember is already.

I feel like the other trainer should have done something more to protect Combusken from the weak point on its leg, given that Edward gave him a large advance warning about it.

I think you are missing a word between "and" and "red-hot."

Well now, that was quite the surprise. A Luxray in Hoenn, owned by a trainer who for all appearances looked to be fairly new. Great twist.

I get the feeling this kid has won a lot of other battles through sheer intimidation with his Luxray like this.

Oh yeah, Bayleef would have a field day with this kid.

I get the feeling he might be recurring. The setup of what he did with Luxray begs to be followed up on.

Aha, Nuria, you wouldn't mind doing that, would you?

Ooh, neat, a cliffhanger. I wonder if it was Celebi or a different Legendary.

This chapter was pretty good. It was a noticeable change of pace and mood after the preceding chapters. That's actually something I want to bring up: sometimes it feels like the fact that the world is falling apart is pushed slightly to the background, which is a little unusual given the circumstances. There are times when you do tie it into ordinary happenings, such as the ban on weather-altering moves, but I feel like there's just a little bit of inconsistency regarding it.

Thanks for the chapter review -and such a hefty one it was too! Thanks for all the compliments, and I did make those corrections (ahh, TGB, what would I do without you?). I do see a few of your points - some of the logic here may be stretched slightly (like the definite punishment for new law), but I reckon this would be how people would react (and even then I'm not a very good people person, so...)

The next chapter should be up soon, just after I read through it once or twice more :)

By the way, does anyone have a particular opinion on my new sig?

Scaldaver

Limitless
Neeeeeew chapter! This'll be the last for a long time, so please enjoy!

Chapter 18
The Companion

“And then,” Nuria snorted in a fit of giggles to a guffawing Edward, “she told her Oddish to do the 'grass thingy'!”

“Oh god,” Edward gasped through the laughter, wiping a tear away from his eye, “why are people s-so incompetent?”

“But that's not the best thing,” Nuria declared, holding her hands up. “The best thing is-” she paused, her giggling preventing words from formulating, “the Oddish...the Oddish turned to her and said,” for a while Nuria could sat nothing as she gripped her sides, “'Who are you?'! Turned out she'd...she'd picked up the wrong Pokemon from the Centre!”

Edward and Nuria erupted in howls of laughter at the amusing story. They were sitting at the rounded, wooden table in their room at the Pokemon Centre, sipping from their cola cans whilst exchanging their battle stories. They both felt light-headed after the day of pure trainer battles, and, even though Edward's ribs were starting to hurt rather painfully, neither of them could stop laughing.

That is, until a third voice began laughing hysterically with them.

It took Edward and Nuria a little while to hear the voice through their own giggling, but after a few seconds it was extremely apparent to both of them, and slowly, like a freight train grinding to a halt, they began to calm down, locking eyes in confusion whilst someone carried on laughing in the exact same state of mirth. From the corner of Edward's eye, something was definitely moving.

Edward noticed Nuria's expression turn to shock as both he and her came to the same conclusion: It's coming from next to us!

In tiny, infinitesimally small fractions of a circle, the two turned their heads to the source of the noise.

Celebi, as though finally realising that its companions had ceased laughing with it, started to tone down its chuckling awkwardly, until its face became passive, staring, wide eyed, at the two humans on either sides of it.

Nothing was said for the longest time. Until:

“Bonjour,” the Legendary Pokemon said politely, waving at Edward.

The spell over the two humans broke: almost symmetrically Edward and Nuria pushed away from the table, their chairs tipping making them fall to the floor.

“Ne vous inquietez pas, c'est moi, Celebi,” Celebi said kindly, smiling whilst sitting and staring unnaturally wide-eyed at the pair.

Neither of the humans responded.

The green pixie frowned, then straightened up, smiling again.

“¡Lo siento! Sé que muchos idiomas y -” Celebi stopped abruptly when it saw the blank expressions on the humans. After knitting its eyes for a few seconds, it spoke again, albeit more timidly.

“Do you understand me now?”

“What the hell are you doing here?!” Nuria blurted out, crawling away from the table on her back. Edward didn't know how to react – this was just too big a shock.

“I'll take that as a yes! I'm really sorry for that – there are just so many human languages I sometimes get a little muddled. Anyways, I have a story to tell. All should be clear after that. Please don't interrupt, because your questions will probably be answered.”

Edward exchanged a quizzical look with Nuria, both the humans calming slightly. This could have gone a lot worse, I suppose...

Cautiously, Edward nodded once, as did Nuria. Content, the green pixie began to speak:

“I suppose you both know the legend in the Sinnoh region regarding the creation of the universe?. Anyway, it is about how a God was hatched from nothing, then created all that there is by delegating the powers of time, space and energy to three powerful deities.”

Celebi paused, giving Edward time to think. Sure, the story did sound familiar...Perhaps I read it in an old bed-time story?

But...surely this can't be true... Edward thought, confused as to why Celebi was going over this. How could a Pokemon make a universe. What made it?

“This story,” Celebi continued, smiling cordially at the pair, “is entirely true.”

Another pause. Edward's eyes narrowed. Come on, how could that even-

“I happen to know, because I was there,” Celebi said, looking directly at Edward now. The boy felt goose-bumps prickle on his skin – not only because of the stare, but the realisation that the Legendary, despite its carefree nature, was telling the truth. Before he could say anything, however, Celebi continued.

“The God realised that these deities, however powerful, would fight a lot, basically, causing His beautiful universe to fragment. So He separated them as far as possible, each given homes in different crevices of time and space.

“But He knew it was not enough. One of the deities discovered and waged war on another: although He resolved the conflict, He still knew that battle between the three were inevitable. He also knew that, to keep the universe working properly, He would need to rest. He would be unable to protect His creations from themselves.

“So He took a portion of each of their power, and transferred it into me – a wonderfully spectacular creature with the ability to travel time and space and generate loads of energy. My job was, and still is, fairly easy. In the event of conflict, I am meant to step in to tip the scales in favour of a deity of my choosing to end the battle, thus preserving peace.

“You both probably still have questions. Please, ask away.”

Edward looked over at Nuria in disbelief, who too had her eyebrows knitted. Yeah. Right. How could such a small Pokemon be so powerful? Edward couldn't feel the overwhelming pressure he had felt around Latias or Latios, nor did it seem to exert any sheer power like Regice. In fact, Edward reckoned that, if he saw Celebi under different circumstances, he could have found it cute.

At the same time, he found its kind, lazy speech incompatible with its Legendary status. Overall, Edward felt fairly disorientated.

“I have a question,” Nuria said determinedly, rising slowly. Celebi's gaze snapped towards her. “I know that story – it was my favourite as a kid. Dialga – that was the time one,” she paused a little, uncertain and gauging Celebi's reaction before continuing, “then Palkia, the space one. But the only other is,” Nuria crumpled her expression as she tried to think, “Giratina – that's it! But Giratina was the ruler of its own little world, not the god of energy or anything.”

Edward, also rising, looked over proudly at his friend. Who knew Nuria had ever paid attention to a book?

“And you – all you do is fly around a forest somewhere. How could you be this epic peace-keeper when all you do is...well, I haven't really heard you do anything really.”

“Forests! Ooh, I love forests,” Celebi squealed in delight. “Is that where I am now? Wait,” Celebi's expression turned thoughtful, “which forest are you talking about?”

“Umm, Ilex? Yeah, Ilex Forest, I think so,” Nuria said, sharing incredulous looks with Edward. How can this be a Legendary Pokemon?

“Oh, I haven't lived there for... about nine thousand years! That was, and still is, if you think about it, a really good time. But I preferred Pinwheel Forest about...three million years ago,” she said brightly. Nuria took a bold step forward.

“You evaded the explanation – about Giratina.”

Celebi, who began floating over the table, giggled.

“You've got to remember – these are just legends. 'Giratina', as you call it, controls pure energy. Antimatter is just an aspect of energy – the collision of regular matter and antimatter creates bucket-loads of the stuff. It lives in its own world made from antimatter, to help protect it from the other two deities.”

Edward rose too, feeling more confidant around the mini-Legendary.

“Wait, so you can travel time, right? So... do we end up beating this killer?”

Celebi's expression darkened.

“Can you imagine, having all this power, the illusion of freedom, just to find a barrier blocking your view? I was given access to all of time and space – except for one, little golden rule. I can't travel to a future I haven't lived yet. Usually, I'm fine with that – I mean, what's more fun than watching the world go by? But then there's this killer... Come to think of it, that might be why I have the rule in the first place. I mean, you can't change the past, and maybe once I see the future, I won't be able to change it.

“Which actually brings me onto why I'm here...” The little Pokemon tensed excitedly, trying to build suspense. Edward noted that he and Nuria, however, were probably looking very unexcited. “I'm coming with you!”

Edward wasn't sure he heard properly.

“You're...c-c-coming...with us?” Edward stuttered. Celebi seemed unfased by the lack of enthusiasm.

“Of course! You have no idea how boring things have been lately! It's like I've done everything up until this point. You have to be careful travelling time – meeting yourself can cause loooads of complications. Anyway, I'll just be there to watch what happens and... I dunno, help? So, what do you both say?”

Edward looked at Nuria out of the corner of his eye. Nuria coughed suddenly.

“Can you give us a minute?” she asked, not quite sounding polite.

“Sure,” Celebi said, not moving.

Nuria coughed. Then she boldly waved the Pokemon away. Then, when Celebi still did nothing, Nuria said,

“Go away.”

Celebi, still oblivious to Nuria's rudeness, nodded enthusiastically and disappeared. Instantly, the girl wheeled around on Edward.

“Sooo, what do we do?”

“Well,” Edward said slowly, considering his response, “it can't be that bad a thing, surely? Yeah, it's a bit forward, but super-powerful Legendary power could come in handy.”

“But what about the other thing?” Nuria hissed. “Remember what Latias and Latios said? Other Legendaries don't take lightly to other Legendaries in their territory – won't that make them more violent and less reasonable? Also, didn't they say the killer would be able to sense Legendaries, and therefore find any travelling with us? And, the most important bit, what the hell is happening? This is all happening waaay too fast!”

Before Edward could respond, the softest of voices wafted through the room, as quiet as a summer breeze:

“I can shield myself from other Ancients.”

Sighing, Edward turned to the 'empty' half of the room.

“Okay, come out,” he said dryly.

Suddenly Celebi appeared.

“So, Celebi, you can make sure no other Legendaries can see you?” Edward enquired.

“Of course! I could also come in handy in case any turn violent – I am as far above them as Ancients are above humans.”

“But still,” Nuria said defiantly, “what would you do? Where would you...be?”

“I'd just hang around with you the whole time – it's easy to be invisible, as you saw. And I know all the Ancients rather personally: after all, I've had quite a bit of time. I know both where they are and what you should say to them. I can also cook, transport, make clothes, make friends, fly, read minds, defeat threats aaand,” Celebi cocked its head in thought, “I know everything about pretty much everything and everywhere.”

Once again there was another awkward silence.

“Sure,” said Nuria weakly.

Celebi cheered and floated up, punching the sky.

“This will be so much fun! Think of all the things we'll do! All the people we'll meet!”

“Yeah,” muttered Nuria, already looking as though she was rethinking her decision.

“So...” Edward said calmly, trying not to ruin the Legendary's fun, “what are you going to do now?”

“It is late, isn't it? I can watch you both sleep!” Celebi cried in excitement.

“No no,” Nuria said hurriedly,” how about you, uh, just leave us until morning. Is that alright?”

“Sure!” Celebi beamed, then disappeared.

Nothing was said for a while as the two children wandered aimlessly around their room, getting ready for sleep without discussion.

This is just too weird, Edward thought. Too wrapped up in their own thoughts to talk, Edward and Nuria got into their own beds, and, slowly, began to drift off to sleep.

Edward couldn't remember his dream the next morning. It may have had something to do with waking up to two, large and staring eyes mere centimetres from his face.

“It's morning!” Celebi crowed happily, pushing some purple fluff towards Edward. “Want any candy floss?”

After overcoming the mini heart-attack and refuting the sugary treat, Edward, thinking it best that Nuria did not wake in the same way he did, gently woke her up.

“Please,” Nuria yawned, rubbing her eyes, “tell me that didn't happen yesterday.”

“Candy floss?” Celebi offered, popping a small chunk into its mouth. “From the Viridian Festival around three hundred and forty seven years ago. It's really nice.”

Groaning, Nuria sluggishly rose out of bed, collected her clothes, and headed for the bathroom. After the door was locked, Celebi turned to Edward. Edward, who was silently cursing Nuria for leaving him alone with the Legendary, tried to avoid eye contact.

“Your friend doesn't like me, does she?” Celebi said, sounding fairly depressed. Edward, even though he could hardly believe he was having such a conversation with a Legendary Pokemon... a Legendary Pokemon he only really met last night, felt bad to hear this.

“No, it's just that Nuria... well, she isn't really a peoples person.”

From inside the bathroom, Edward heard the shower turning on. Feeling less awkward, Edward turned to look Celebi in the face, and noticed it beginning to smile.

“No matter. I'm really good at making friends.” The green pixie looked strangely at its candy floss. “Maybe she just doesn't like this in particular...”

Sensing Celebi was beginning to look disheartened again, Edward tried to smile in comfort.

“Nah, Nuria prefers Gummy Teddiursas anyway, so-” Edward stopped abruptly when he realised Celebi had disappeared.

Where's it-

Nuria screamed, and quick as a flash ran out the bathroom door, barely managing to hurriedly wrap a towel around her sopping frame in time. Edward instantly looked away, listening to his friend's cussing.

“But Edward said you liked Gummy Teddiursas,” Celebi said brightly, hovering through he bathroom door. Instantly, Edward could feel Nuria's glare on him.

You told it to do that!?” she screeched, kicking him hard in the leg – even without any shoes on, Nuria still caused Edward to wince.

“No, I just said you didn't like candy floss and preferred Gummy Teddiursas,” Edward pleaded, looking at the ceiling rather that at his angry, mostly naked companion. “I didn't tell it to go in on you. Promise. Dear lord please believe me.”

Carefully, Edward lowered his gaze until he could just about make out Nuria's scowling face. He felt sickened at the thought of looking lower. She then looked at the Legendary, who had opened the packet and began to eat a few, gumming its mouth shut.

“Never do that to me again! Do you understand?” Nuria growled at Celebi. Celebi closed its eyes and bowed its head, looking fairly guilty. Nuria ignored the Pokemon's expression and walked past it, into the bathroom, and slammed and locked the door.

Edward stood there in silence, not looking at Celebi, just listening to the sound of the shower running. It stopped, then a few minutes later Nuria walked out, her hair wet. Too timid to talk to her, Edward collected his clothes and shuffled into the bathroom: he noticed how wet the floor was.

Quickly getting undressed, Edward turned on the shower and stepped into the hot spray. How long has it been before I've had one of these? he pondered, recounting the freezing downpours and when he fell into the ocean. He was just applying the shampoo when he noticed the muffled sounds of speech from the other room. Neither sounded angry, so Edward smiled. At least they're getting on better, he thought happily. The voices suddenly stopped talking. Strange...

“BOO!” Celebi shouted, less than a metre away from him in the shower cubicle. Screaming, Edward fell through the door onto the bathroom floor. Noting the Legendary was still present, Edward's shock turned to embarrassment as he groped around for his towel.

The little pixie hovered, clutching its sides and kicking its legs in laughter, and Edward could hear the same sort of sound from outside the room. Making sure the towel was securely fastened around him, Edward unlocked then slammed open the door, glaring as angrily as he could at his hysterical friend.

“Damn you,” he growled, before turning to Celebi. He held on to its arm and, unbeknownst to the laughing Pokemon, Edward guided it out of the room. He then slammed the door, locking it tightly.

I hate Legendaries, he thought darkly as he dried himself off.

Celebi hovered outside the Pokemon Centre window, observing itself and the laughing female. Sighing to itself, frustrated, it turned and once again vanished.

Celebi's Time travel mechanics, by Scaldaver:
1) Celebi can travel freely to any time period it has existed in. For example, when the universe began (let's call this date 0), then if Celebi just cruised along without time travelling for ten years, it would be the year 10. Now, if Celebi wanted to time travel, it could go to any period 0≤t>10 (t being the time period it goes to). It cannot go to the years 12, 19 or 2013 because it has never existed in that time. Therefore, if this story takes place in the year 2013, Celebi would have had to live for at least two-thousand and thirteen years straight (this is imagining the universe stated at 0AD). So, if Celebi has lived multiples times in the same time zone, it can be assumed that Celebi is older than the actual universe.

2) When Celebi time-travels, it instantaneously moves to any point in time or space (as long as it has 'lived up to' the time it wants to go). The physical or chemical properties of anything it takes in time do not alter (hence there can be delicious 347 year old candy floss).

Last edited:

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
First, on your new sig: just focusing on Groudon doesn't really capture the scope of the plot. I'd add Kyogre's fainted sprite alongside it. You also need the apostrophe in "Legend's." Other than that, it's a great concept.

Neeeeeew chapter! This'll be the last for a long time, so please enjoy!

Chapter 18
The Companion

“And then,” Nuria snorted in a fit of giggles to a guffawing Edward, “she told her Oddish to do the 'grass thingy'!”

“Oh god,” Edward gasped through the laughter, wiping a tear away from his eye, “why are people s-so incompetent?”

“But that's not the best thing,” Nuria declared, holding her hands up. “The best thing is-” she paused, her giggling preventing words from formulating, “the Oddish...the Oddish turned to her and said,” for a while Nuria could sat nothing as she gripped her sides, “'Who are you?'! Turned out she'd...she'd picked up the wrong Pokemon from the Centre!”

This is silly enough to almost work as a conversation between them as they were drinking! I rather like the casual tone.

The Pokemon Center giving the girl the wrong Pokemon is something that seems a little unbelievable, but in a world where the kind of chaos you've shown is going on, some level of confusion on an administrative level is understandable.

Edward and Nuria erupted in howls of laughter at the amusing story. They were sitting at the rounded, wooden table in their room at the Pokemon Centre, sipping from their cola cans whilst exchanging their battle stories. They both felt light-headed after the day of pure trainer battles, and, even though Edwards ribs were starting to hurt rather painfully, neither of them could stop laughing.

"Edward's ribs."

That is, until a third voice began laughing hysterically with them.

It took Edward and Nuria a little while to hear the voice through their own giggling, but after a few seconds it was extremely apparent to both of them, and slowly, like a freight train grinding to a halt, they began to calm down, locking eyes in confusion whilst someone carried on laughing in the exact same state of mirth. From the corner of Edward's eye, something was definitely moving.

Edward noticed Nuria's expression turn to shock as both he and her came to the same conclusion: It's coming from next to us!

In tiny, infinitesimally small fractions of a circle, the two turned their heads to the source of the noise.

You could probably do without "infinitesimally small" since you have "tiny" right next to it.

Celebi, as though finally realising that its companions had ceased laughing with it, started to tone down its chuckling awkwardly, until its face became passive, staring, wide eyed, at the two humans on either sides of it.

Nothing was said for the longest time. Until:

“Bonjour,” the Legendary Pokemon said politely, waving at Edward.

The spell over the two humans broke: almost symmetrically Edward and Nuria pushed away from the table, their chairs tipping making them fall to the floor.

“Ne vous inquietez pas, c'est moi, Celebi,” Celebi said kindly, smiling whilst sitting and staring unnaturally wide-eyed at the pair.

Oh God, French-talking Celebi is hilarious. I don't know how you got this idea but it's great.

Neither of the humans responded.

The green pixie frowned, then straightened up, smiling again.

“¡Lo siento! Sé que muchos idiomas y -” Celebi stopped abruptly when it saw the blank expressions on the humans. After knitting its eyes for a few seconds, it spoke again, albeit more timidly.

“Do you understand me now?”

“What the hell are you doing here?!” Nuria blurted out, crawling away from the table on her back. Edward didn't know how to react – this was just too big a shock.

“I'll take that as a yes! I'm really sorry for that – there are just so many human languages I sometimes get a little muddled. Anyways, I have a story to tell. All should be clear after that. Please don't interrupt, because your questions will probably be answered.”

Clear something up for me please: was Celebi being serious when it was using the other languages, or was it just messing with them? Given Celebi's personality, either option sounds feasible.

Edward exchanged a quizzical look with Nuria, both the humans calming slightly. This could have gone a lot worse, I suppose...

Cautiously, Edward nodded once, as did Nuria. Content, the green pixie began to speak:

“I suppose you both know the legend in the Sinnoh region regarding the creation of the universe?. Anyway, it is about how a God was hatched from nothing, then created all that there is by delegating the powers of time, space and energy to three powerful deities.”

Celebi paused, giving Edward time to think. Sure, the story did sound familiar...Perhaps I read it in an old bed-time story?

But...surly this can't be true... Edward thought, confused as to why Celebi was going over this. How could a Pokemon make a universe. What made it?

"surely" is misspelled as "surly" here. That needs to be fixed.

Interesting that you're touching on the "chicken or the egg" paradox in regards to Arceus and creation. I wonder if we'll see something to clear that up later?

“This story,” Celebi continued, smiling cordially at the pair, “is entirely true.”

Another pause. Edward's eyes narrowed. Come on, how could that even-

“I happen to know, because I was there,” Celebi said, looking directly at Edward now. The boy felt goose-bumps prickle on his skin – not only because of the stare, but the realisation that the Legendary, despite its carefree nature, was telling the truth. Before he could say anything, however, Celebi continued.

I don't see much reason for anyone to doubt Celebi's claim, really. Celebi can time travel, so if it wishes to go back to the beginning of the universe, it can easily do so.

I guess there's the possibility that Celebi is lying and has a sinister ulterior motive, but I'm not seeing that as a big possibility right now.

“The God realised that these deities, however powerful, would fight a lot, basically, causing His beautiful universe to fragment. So He separated them as far as possible, each given homes in different crevices of time and space.

“But He knew it was not enough. One of the deities discovered and waged war on another: although He resolved the conflict, He still knew that battle between the three were inevitable. He also knew that, to keep the universe working properly, He would need to rest. He would be unable to protect His creations from themselves.

“So He took a portion of each of their power, and transferred it into me – a wonderfully spectacular creature with the ability to travel time and space and generate loads of energy. My job was, and still is, fairly easy. In the event of conflict, I am meant to step in to tip the scales in favour of a deity of my choosing to end the battle, thus preserving peace.

That's an interesting interpretation/expansion of Sinnoh's mythology. It makes good sense, too. I like it.

“You both probably still have questions. Please, ask away.”

Edward looked over at Nuria in disbelief, who too had her eyebrows knitted. Yeah. Right. How could such a small Pokemon be so powerful? Edward couldn't feel the overwhelming pressure he had felt around Latias or Latios, nor did it seem to exert any sheer power like Regice. In fact, Edward reckoned that, if he saw Celebi under different circumstances, he could have found it cute.

At the same time, he found its kind, lazy speech incompatible with its Legendary status. Overall, Edward felt fairly disorientated.

“I have a question,” Nuria said determinedly, rising slowly. Celebi's gaze snapped towards her. “I know that story – it was my favourite as a kid. Dialga – that was the time one,” she paused a little, uncertain and gauging Celebi's reaction before continuing, “then Palkia, the space one. But the only other is,” Nuria crumpled her expression as she tried to think, “Giratina – that's it! But Giratina was the ruler of its own little world, not the god of energy or anything.”

Edward, also rising, looked over proudly at his friend. Who knew Nuria had ever paid attention to a book?

“And you – all you do is fly around a forest somewhere. How could you be this epic peace-keeper when all you do is...well, I haven't really heard you do anything really.”

Shouldn't she be aware that Celebi can time travel when Celebi just told her about it?

“Forests! Ooh, I love forests,” Celebi squealed in delight. “Is that where I am now? Wait,” Celebi's expression turned thoughtful, “which forest are you talking about?”

“Umm, Ilex? Yeah, Ilex Forest, I think so,” Nuria said, sharing incredulous looks with Edward. How can this be a Legendary Pokemon?

“Oh, I haven't lived there for... about nine thousand years! That was, and still is, if you think about it, a really good time. But I preferred Pinwheel Forest about...three million years ago,” she said brightly. Nuria took a bold step forward.

“You evaded the explanation – about Giratina.”

Celebi's distraction was amusing, but I think Nuria might be on to something - it's likely Celebi is, in fact, clever enough to try and dodge questions like that.

Celebi, who began floating over the table, giggled.

“You've got to remember – these are just legends. 'Giratina', as you call it, controls pure energy. Antimatter is just an aspect of energy – the collision of regular matter and antimatter creates bucket-loads of the stuff. It lives in its own world made from antimatter, to help protect it from the other two deities.”

Edward rose too, feeling more confidant around the mini-Legendary.

“Wait, so you can travel time, right? So... do we end up beating this killer?”

Again, it seems strange that Celebi informed them of its time travel powers, and Edward clearly registered them in his own mind, but Nuria doesn't seem to know what Celebi's powers are? Or does she just not think much of such powers?

Edward's question is a good one, I'm glad he thought of it.

Celebi's expression darkened.

“Can you imagine, having all this power, the illusion of freedom, just to find a barrier blocking your view? I was given access to all of time and space – except for one, little golden rule. I can't travel to a future I haven't lived yet. Usually, I'm fine with that – I mean, what's more fun than watching the world go by? But then there's this killer... Come to think of it, that might be why I have the rule in the first place. I mean, you can't change the past, and maybe once I see the future, I won't be able to change it.

Could you explain the mechanics of this rule a bit more? I'm not sure I fully grasp the way Celebi can't travel to the future.

“Which actually bring me onto why I'm here...” The little Pokemon tensed excitedly, trying to build suspense. Edward noted that he and Nuria, however, were probably looking very unexcited. “I'm coming with you!”

"brings me." You were missing the 's.'

I wonder if Celebi is messing with them. This came up so suddenly that it almost seems easy to guess so.

Edward wasn't sure he heard properly.

“You're...c-c-coming...with us?” Edward stuttered. Celebi seemed unphased by the lack of enthusiasm.

"unfazed."

“Of course! You have no idea how boring things have been lately! It's like I've done everything up until this point. You have to be careful travelling time – meeting yourself can cause loooads of complications. Anyway, I'll just be there to watch what happens and... I dunno, help? So, what do you both say?”

Edward looked at Nuria out of the corner of his eye. Nuria coughed suddenly.

You don't have to say "Nuria" twice. Just "she" would do fine for the second time.

“Can you give us a minute?” she asked, not quite sounding polite.

“Sure,” Celebi said, not moving.

Nuria coughed. Then she boldly waved the Pokemon away. Then, when Celebi still did nothing, Nuria said,

“Go away.”

Celebi, still oblivious to Nuria's rudeness, nodded enthusiastically and disappeared. Instantly, Nuria wheeled around on Edward.

“Sooo, what do we do?”

“Well,” Edward said slowly, considering his response, “it can't be that bad a thing, surly? Yeah, it's a bit forward, but an uber powerful Legendary power could come in handy.”

Once again, "surely" is misspelled as "surly." Also, using "uber" in dialogue feels a little awkward. Maybe just calling it "really powerful" would be fine. Either way, you don't need to say "Legendary power," just "Legendary."

“But what about the other thing?” Nuria hissed. “Remember what Latias and Latios said? Other Legendaries don't take lightly to other Legendaries in their territory – won't that make them more violent and less reasonable? Also, didn't they say the killer would be able to sense Legendaries, and therefore find any travelling with us? And, the most important bit, what the hell is happening? This is all happening waaay too fast!”

I'm glad Nuria brought up this question. It's good to be following up on details that were introduced earlier.

Speaking of Latias and Latios, it's been a while since we've seen them. I wonder what they're up to.

Before Edward could respond, the softest of voices wafted through the room, as quiet as a summer breeze:

“I can shield myself from other Ancients.”

Sighing, Edward turned to the 'empty' half of the room.

“Okay, come out,” he said dryly.

Suddenly Celebi appeared.

“So, Celebi, you can make sure no other Legendaries can see you?” Edward enquired.

“Of course! I could also come in handy in case any turn violent – I am as far above them as Ancients are above humans.”

I get the feeling that once again, Celebi is exaggerating. The line about being far above other Legendaries is a sign of it, I think.

“But still,” Nuria said defiantly, “what would you do? Where would you...be?”

“I'd just hang around with you the whole time – it's easy to be invisible, as you saw. And I know all the Ancients rather personally: after all, I've had quite a bit of time. I know both where they are and what you should say to them. I can also cook, transport, make clothes, make friends, fly, read minds, defeat threats aaand,” Celebi cocked its head in thought, “I know everything about pretty much everything and everywhere.”

Yeah, definitely bluffing. I think this is setting up a plot point for the future.

Once again there was another awkward silence.

“Sure,” said Nuria weakly.

Celebi cheered and floated up, punching the sky.

“This will be so much fun! Think of all the thing's we'll do! All the people we'll meet!”

No need for an apostrophe in "things."

“Yeah,” muttered Nuria, already looking as though she was rethinking her decision.

“So...” Edward said calmly, trying not to ruin the Legenday's fun, “what are you going to do now?”

"Legendary's." You were missing the 'r.'

“It is late, isn't it? I can watch you both sleep!” Celebi cried in excitement.

“No no,” Nuria said hurriedly,” how about you, uh, just leave us until morning. Is that alright?”

“Sure!” Celebi beamed, then disappeared.

Celebi didn't go anywhere, I'm sure of it. That thing is just too hilariously mischievous to pass up a chance like this.

Edward couldn't remember his dream the next morning. It may have had something to do with waking up to two, large and staring eyes mere centimetres from his face.

“It's morning!” Celebi crowed happily, pushing some purple fluff towards Edward. “Want any candy floss?”

I actually smiled pretty hard at that. It just came out of nowhere, yet it's so strangely funny that I couldn't help it.

After overcoming the mini heart-attack and refuting the sugary treat, Edward, thinking it best that Nuria did not wake in the same way he did, gently woke her up.

“Please,” Nuria yawned, rubbing her eyes, “tell me that didn't happen yesterday.”

“Candy floss?” Celebi offered, popping a small chunk into its mouth. “From the Viridian Festival around three hundred and forty seven years ago. It's really nice.”

I just noticed something. Is Celebi joking again when it says that the candy floss came from three hundred and forty seven years ago? If it isn't joking, then there's some major loose playing with the laws of time travel going on here. I think I need a bit further an elaboration on this.

Or, crazy theory, but what if Celebi is the killer, putting on this personality as an act, and breaking the laws of time to kill other Legendaries?

Groaning, Nuria sluggishly rose out of bed, collected her clothes, and headed for the bathroom. After the door was locked, Celebi turned to Edward. Edward, who was silently cursing Nuria for leaving him alone with the Legendary, tried to avoid eye contact.

“Your friend doesn't like me, does she?” Celebi said, sounding fairly depressed. Edward, even though he could hardly believe he was having such a conversation with a legendary Pokemon... a Legendary Pokemon he only really met last night, felt bad to hear this.

Try to pick a consistent capitalization scheme for the term "Legendary Pokemon." Are both words capitalized or is just 'Pokemon' capitalized?

I'm having a hard time buying Celebi's emotion here as sincere. Maybe it is being sincere, but after all that joking and silly behavior, it's hard to tell.

“No, it's just that Nuria... well, she isn't really a peoples person.”

Is the expression 'people person' used differently where you're from? I'm not going to call this an error immediately because that could be the case.

From inside the bathroom, Edward heard the shower turning on. Feeling less awkward, Edward turned to look Celebi in the face, and noticed it beginning to smile.

“No matter. I'm really good at making friends.” The green pixie looked strangely at its candy floss. “Maybe she just doesn't like this in particular...”

Sensing Celebi was beginning to look disheartened again, Edward tried to smile in comfort.

“Nah, Nuria prefers Gummy Teddiursas anyway, so-” Edward stopped abruptly when he realised Celebi had disappeared.

Where's it-

Nuria screamed, and quick as a flash ran out the bathroom door, barely managing to hurriedly wrap a towel around her sopping frame in time. Edward instantly looked away, listening to his friend's cussing.

“But Edward said you liked Gummy Teddiursas,” Celebi said brightly, hovering through he bathroom door. Instantly, Edward could feel Nuria's glare on him.

That was amazing. Even after having read this scene once already when I beta-ed it, I still laughed at it again. Some silliness is good to have in a serious story.

You told it to do that!?” she screeched, kicking him hard in the leg – even without any shoes on, Nuria still caused Edward to wince.

“No, I just said you didn't like candy floss and preferred Gummy Teddiursas,” Edward pleaded, looking at the ceiling rather that at his angry, mostly naked companion. “I didn't tell it to go in on you. Promise. Dear lord please believe me.”

I can just imagine what Nuria would do to him if she didn't believe him. And that's what makes me love their interactions so much.

Carefully, Edward lowered his gaze until he could just about make out Nuria's scowling face. He felt sickened at the thought of looking lower. She then looked at the Legendary, who had opened the packet and began to eat a few, gumming its mouth shut.

“Never do that to me again! Do you understand?” Nuria growled at Celebi. Celebi closed its eyes and bowed its head, looking fairly guilty. Nuria ignored the Pokemon's expression and walked past it, into the bathroom, and slammed and locked the door.

Edward stood there is silence, not looking at Celebi, just listening to the sound of the shower running. It stopped, then a few minutes later Nuria walked out, her hair wet. Too timid to talk to her, Edward collected his clothes and shuffled into the bathroom: he noticed how wet the floor was.

"Edward stood there in silence."

Quickly getting undressed, Edward turned on the shower and stepped into the hot spray. How long has it been before I've had one of these? he pondered, recounting the freezing downpours and when he fell into the ocean. He was just applying the shampoo when he noticed the muffled sounds of speech from the other room. Neither sounded angry, so Edward smiled. At least they're getting on better, he thought happily. The voices suddenly stopped talking. Strange...

“BOO!” Celebi shouted, less than a metre away from him in the shower cubicle. Screaming, Edward fell through the door onto the bathroom floor. Noting the Legendary was still present, Edward's shock turned to embarrassment as he groped around for his towel.

The little pixie hovered, clutching its sides and kicking its legs in laughter, and Edward could hear the same sort of sound from outside the room. Making sure the towel was securely fastened around him, Edward unlocked then slammed open the door, glaring as angrily as he could at his hysterical friend.

I just knew Nuria told Celebi to do it back to him. These two just have such a great dynamic together, it's almost unbelievable.

“Damn you,” he growled, before turning to Celebi. He held on to its arm and, unbeknownst to the laughing Pokemon, Edward guided it out of the room. He then slammed the door, locking it tightly.

I hate Legendaries, he thought darkly as he dried himself off.

Celebi hovered outside the Pokemon Centre window, observing itself and the laughing female. Sighing to itself, frustrated, it turned and once again vanished.

Whoa, what's with this twist ending? Was it actually Celebi all along? Like, was it a Celebi from the past or an impostor in there? You've got me asking questions, so that's a sign of a good twist ending.

This was a good chapter overall, I'd say. Celebi was definitely the standout character with its ridiculous behavior that seems to have something deeper going on, but Edward and Nuria really had a great presence too. I want to say that this chapter is an example of how a chapter with few real events happening can still be great just on the strengths of its characters.

Dormant

I'M A TREE RAWR
Yes! Made it to the top!! Anyways, I've just read this Fan Fiction and it is AWESOME!! I like Edward, he's a fragile, young man that wants to be normal. Until one day, The Killer appeared. I don't seemed to like Nuria, she seemed to be a jerk. Not gonna lie. I like her Kirlia though! I also liked Edward's Nincada, I wonder what Edward will react to see Nincada evolved into Ninjask and Shedinja. I bet he'll be so confused about the Shedinja and would be like 'Wha-?!?!'

So anyways, When I first read about Nuria's Bayleaf(Or should I say Chikorita) I first thought she's similar to N. Except more meaner and Angrier. She is also similar to Banette. It is said that Banette was once a doll until its owner threw it away. Kinda like The trainer who gave Chikorita back to Prof. Elm. Though Bayleaf seemed to be more worse than Banette in my opinion.

I really like this fic! Keep up the good work!!!

So Dormant;429; signing off..

Scaldaver

Limitless
Thank you for all your wonderful comments!,
TGB, Thanks for all those corrections (I swore 'unfazed' was an Americanism at the time...), and thanks to your questions there's now a pretty-dandy guide to Celebi's mechanics at the end of the chapter, if you're interested.

The Pokemon Center giving the girl the wrong Pokemon is something that seems a little unbelievable, but in a world where the kind of chaos you've shown is going on, some level of confusion on an administrative level is understandable.

I knew whilst writing it that it was a bit loose, but I really couldn't come up with that an imaginative story at the time.

You could probably do without "infinitesimally small" since you have "tiny" right next to it.

I know its slight overkill, but I really like the imagery 'infinitesimally small' gives.

Oh God, French-talking Celebi is hilarious. I don't know how you got this idea but it's great.
Clear something up for me please: was Celebi being serious when it was using the other languages, or was it just messing with them? Given Celebi's personality, either option sounds feasible.

Thanks for the compliment! I'll let people come up with their own opinions for the second bit though.

Interesting that you're touching on the "chicken or the egg" paradox in regards to Arceus and creation. I wonder if we'll see something to clear that up later?

Hmm, depends how many religions I'm willing to insult at the time. Probably none, so unless I can think up another way, this won't really be addressed. For the time being.

Edward's question is a good one, I'm glad he thought of it.

When I originally wrote that, I thought 'Is this making Edward sound like a cheat?', until I remembered that, as the world hung in the balance, it was a legit question.

That was amazing. Even after having read this scene once already when I beta-ed it, I still laughed at it again. Some silliness is good to have in a serious story.
I just knew Nuria told Celebi to do it back to him. These two just have such a great dynamic together, it's almost unbelievable.

Thanks for saying they're so good. I worry sometimes that I get too wrapped up in plot expansion (I understand it has gone WAY to quickly) and forget about believable characters, so thanks.

Whoa, what's with this twist ending? Was it actually Celebi all along? Like, was it a Celebi from the past or an impostor in there? You've got me asking questions, so that's a sign of a good twist ending.

DUN DUN DUNNNNN!

This was a good chapter overall, I'd say. Celebi was definitely the standout character with its ridiculous behavior that seems to have something deeper going on, but Edward and Nuria really had a great presence too. I want to say that this chapter is an example of how a chapter with few real events happening can still be great just on the strengths of its characters.

Thanks alot for that, I do worry sometimes I rush this a tad as I have such little time to write.

Hi. I read fourteen chapters and liked it a lot. I nominated you for a couple of awards. May I be on the PM list?

Hey there too! Thanks alot, and of course you can be on the PM list!

So anyways, When I first read about Nuria's Bayleaf(Or should I say Chikorita) I first thought she's similar to N. Except more meaner and Angrier. She is also similar to Banette. It is said that Banette was once a doll until its owner threw it away. Kinda like The trainer who gave Chikorita back to Prof. Elm. Though Bayleaf seemed to be more worse than Banette in my opinion.

You just blew my mind. Thanks for all the support!

It may be a while until the next chapter, guys - my actual Tests are up after these holidays, so revising and testing are gonna be what its all about. Thanks for all your support, and TTFN!

Scaldaver

Limitless
After countless hours of revision and tests, I think I've invested my free time intelligently and decided to post another chapter. There will be more soon - especially after my DofE camping trip!
Read, review and, above all, enjoy!

Chapter 19
Research

Jack liked prowling through the library book shelves. It made him feel like a Mightyena on the hunt, peeking through a foliage of books, his feet padding gently on what he imagined was a carpet of moss and grass.

On all fours he crept along, feeling comforted by his proximity to the shelves and floor in the semi-abandoned library. He knew nobody could see him, purely because he was alone in this particular row. He knew his Mum was somewhere near the door on the other side of the room, probably in deep conversation, but he'd saw some other kids a bit older than him during his initial run through the place. He could just about hear them and, grinning in excitement, he began to crawl towards the source of low murmurs.

Occasionally rising to two legs, the boy slunk from one row of books to another before spotting the children – although he could see they were really more like teenagers – sitting at a table in a central location of the large library. The boy shuddered happily; he felt so secret, so skilful having crept up on these people unawares. With only half the side of his face poking around the edge of the shelf, he decided, like any good-natured six-year-old, to spy on them.

There were three of them: a boy whose face was hidden, immersed in a leather-bound book; beside him, a bored-looking girl reading a book off the table whilst balancing her head on her hand and tapping her fingers absent mindedly, and one other person next to her, staring right at Jack.

The boy instantly snapped back behind the shelf, a cold bolt of shock quickly running through him. Recovering after a few seconds he looked around again, only to see the teen still looking at him.

Jack couldn't tell if it were a boy or a girl – its features seemed to blend from one gender to the other whilst looking completely normal. Very normal. Jack wondered if he would even have noted the person if it weren't for those scary, wide eyes that seemed to look right through him. Or that demonic, over-large grin plastered on its face.

Jack didn't feel like a brave Mightyena any more. The person was scaring him. With just one look back, he ran through the room, book dashing past him until he was burying himself in his Mum's thigh.

“What's the matter, honey?” she cooed as she lifted him up from under his outstretched arms. Jack just pushed his face into her shoulder, certain that the person would still be looking at him. He heard his Mum apologise to the librarian before walking out the room and setting off down the stairs, all the while trying to get a peep out of her son.

Back at the chair, the 'person' looked longingly after the child.

“What a cute kid,” Celebi sighed.

“Shh,” was all Edward replied as he eagerly flipped the page.

“Oh, shh yourself. When can we go?” Nuria moaned.

“Look,” Edward said with an ounce of frustration, pushing his book in front of her, “how about you look through the list and see who it could be?”

Sighing, Nuria aligned the book and began to read.

“Ho-oh. Apparently brought other Legendaries back to life. Probably not the killer. Mew. Apparently created all life. Probably not the killer. Mewtwo and Genesect. Apparently made in labs years ago. Probably aren't the killers.

“Come on, stop with the sarcasm. Instead of who it isn't, who could it be?”

“Well,” Nuria said complacently, flicking to a page with a dark, malevolent illustration of a shadow with nightmarish eyes, “Darkrai looks iffy as hell to me.”

“We're not going to label someone as a mass murderer because they look 'iffy'.”

“Then why are we going to?” she said pointedly, snapping the book shut. She underlined the book title with her finger: “'Pokemon Myths and Legends'. Myths. Legends. Who knows how much of this is right or not? Speaking of which,” she flicked through it quickly, “look – 'Celebi, commonly referred to as 'The Voice of Ilex Forest', is rumoured to live in and protect this ancient-' - see? So we know most of this is a load of Ponyta poop.”

“I liked Ilex,” Celebi said in wonder looking around the room with fascination.

“Speaking of which,” Nuria said, turning to Celebi, “can you drop the human thing. You're freaking me out and I swear you just scarred a little kid for life.”

Celebi pouted.

“But it's so fun being hidden so well. Nobody would suspect a human!”

“But,” she said, passing the book back to an eager Edward, “nobody in a thousand miles would think you're really human.”

The librarian popped her head around a corner and hushed her at the same time as Edward did. She gave up and, out of complete boredom, lay her head on the table and covered herself with her hands.

Edward flipped through the book for the umpteenth time. Moltres? In a Pokeball. And it didn't seem right that any of the other birds would be crazily evil. What about the dogs? No, that doesn't seem right either, Edward thought, one of a trio being different doesn't fit. Regigigas? No, that built the continents or something.

“Thoughts, Celebi?” Edward asked, frustrated.

“I fancy more candy floss,” it intoned, causing Nuria to knead her own head.

“No, about who the killer might be.”

“Oh. No clue. I've lived too long to remember such fine details about my past.”

“Like a whole bloody planet being annihilated?” Nuria seethed.

“Stuff like that happens all the time,” Celebi shrugged. “Worlds live, worlds die. But that candy floss...”

“I'd kill you if you weren't so immortal. And stop looking at me like that!”

“But you said you didn't like me being invisible.”

“But what I meant was-”

“Look,” Edward cut over, “how about you just tell us which Legends you think might be evil or not then we can leave.”

Celebi's human face strained in concentration.

“Well... Mewtwo always seemed... brisk when I invited it out...”

“But Mew itself must have been a barrel of laughs,” Nuria commented sarcastically.

“Yes, actually – we once went to this fairground in the year-”

Nuria jumped up suddenly.

“Eddy. We're leaving. I can't take this whiny god while feeling trapped in such a stupidly boring area.”

“Libraries aren't-” Edward started.

“Leaving.” Nuria pulled Edward up firmly. “Now.”

Sighing, Edward carefully collected up the book and his bag and headed over to the book take-out. After scanning the book and using his Pokedex to verify his identity, he received the receipt – the name of the book followed by 'Must return within 30 days'. Edward couldn't help but chuckle slightly. The world on the brink of apocalypse, and they still want their books back.

Edward shuffled hurriedly after Nuria and slowly followed behind her downstairs – Damn these ribs impose a dumb speed limit, he thought bitterly. He didn't bother looking back on Celebi; he knew it would pop up sooner or later.

“Last time I ever let you drag me in a library,” Nuria muttered.

They got to the ground floor: here the stacks and shelves shared space with the odd glass case exhibiting some oceanic wonder: although he wanted to stay and fawn over the remnants of the library's museum days, he sense Nuria might stab him with a book if he tried.

Soon they were out: the gloomy sky like a placard to the pair, as if shouting 'Get a move on'. Subconsciously taking the message in, they quickened their pace, turning right around the library and back towards the northward route.

It took a few awkward seconds for someone to break the silence.

“So,” Nuria said, “you got a plan for the electric gym?”

“It'll probably be a breeze if Mudkip evolves by then,” Edward replied, manoeuvring gently to get his Pokedex whilst inflicting minimal damage on his chest. After getting to the correct section, he enlarged the Mudkip diagram.

“This says he should have evolved by now,” Edward voiced frustratedly.

“Just give it a few levels,” Nuria encouraged. “You're lucky to have Nincada as it is: if neither evolve then you'll have at least one ground-type. I, on the other hand, am stuck with a water, grass and psychic type.” She looked over at Edward for a second. “The Gym Leader has a Magneton, right?”

“Magnezone,” Edward corrected whilst scrolling through his other Pokemon.

“Darn,” she cursed, sinking into her own thoughts.

“You shouldn't worry either: Kirlia seems over-powered enough for anything.”

Nuria chuckled.

“I suppose. Speaking of Kirlia, guess what level she is?”

“Thirty.”

“Close: Twenty-nine. Soon” she gloated, “I shall have a fabulous Gardevoir.”

“Whatever,” Edward said as he put his Pokedex away. “And how are the rest doing?”

“Both at sixteen.”

“I'd cough 'favouritism' at you, but I don't think my ribs could take it,” Edward commented sarcastically as they approached the route.

“Hey, training Shellder, like, ten levels in one day isn't that bad, is it? He's getting along fairly well – barely scratched by any physical attack.”

“And Bayleef? Didn't that evolve at sixteen?” Edward thought for a second. “Hang on, when was the last time you actually used Bayleef?”

“Shall we go through the trees?” Nuria asked, completely ignoring Edward's question. They had just reached the threshold of the route, complete with the plethora of battling trainers. “You know, to avoid unwanted battles?”

“Sure,” Edward said off-handedly.

They took a sharp left and found a shaded opening in the trees far from the battling trainers – with any hope, Edward thought, they wouldn't be seen at all. However...

“How about you send out Kirlia?” Edward asked as the approached the trees. Edward realised that, whilst containing an easily-walkable track, the dense trees prevented much light getting in.

“Is poor Eddy afwaid of the dark?” Nuria taunted happily, though releasing Kirlia regardless.

“Shut-up,” was all Edward could offer in terms of a come-back. Nuria chuckled and followed Kirlia into the forest.

After perhaps half a minute of getting attuned to the light levels, Edward found there was enough room to walk beside Kirlia and Nuria.

“So how are your Pokemon doing?” Nuria asked as he walked up next to her.

“Mudkip and Nincada at eighteen and Zubat at fifteen. A little more... even than your spread.”

“Why don't you send out Nincada?” Nuria offered. Edward began to comply, but with slight hesitance. Did she sound excited?

“Why Nincada?” Edward asked as he took out his Pokeball from his pocket.

“I like Nincada. Is that such a bad thing?” Nuria asked,sounding slightly offended.

“No, no,” Edward said, holding his Pokeball out and tossing it gently. Before the ball rebounded to his hand, Nincada had formed, looking up at the three. Edward quickly looked over at Nuria; she seemed a little confused.

“Would you like to walk with us?” Edward asked awkwardly. Nincada nod was as awkward as Edward's question; obviously he was surprised to be invited just to 'walk'.

The now-foursome continued onwards, the group naturally splitting into Kirlia and Nincada at the front and Nuria and Edward trailing a bit behind. Nuria's pace slowed – obviously she expected Edward to do the same.

“That was weird,” she muttered under her breath so only Edward could hear.

“What? That you like Nincada?”

“Yeah... Not that there's anything I don't like about it, but...”

Nuria left the sentence hanging, focussing on the ground as she walked. Unable to find anything to say, Edward looked ahead to Kirlia and Nincada, wondering what must be going through their heads.

Nincada felt strange crawling beside the elegant psychic-type. Last time they had met, after all, they were about the same in terms of power and she seemed so shy. She seemed more bold now, and it was blatant who was the stronger one here; power almost radiated out of her.

“How are you?” Kirlia asked courteously. Nincada stiffened slightly. There it was again.

“Good,” he replied. They carried on walking for a while.

“How is training?” she asked just as kindly.

“Good,” he replied. He could feel the atmosphere tense.

“Are you okay?” Kirlia asked, genuine concern in her voice. “You're not talking very much.”

Nincada looked away awkwardly.

“My brethren do not act in such ways...” Nincada muttered. Kirlia looked down sympathetically. Seconds passed as she thought.

“How are things with Edward?”

Nincada felt taken aback by the question. He'd never really thought about it before.

“Good,” he said, unsure.

“Care to elaborate?” Kirlia asked cheerily.

“What do you mean? We train, yes, and I get stronger. That is good, no?”

“But I mean, how do you get along? What does he say to you?”

Nincada thought for several moments.

“Fury Swipes, Dig, Harden-”

“No, no,” Kirlia interjected politely, “I mean, when you're not battling?”

“We... we don't.”

“Okay,” Kirlia responded, smiling happily. “So... do you still have that present?”

Nincada felt the well of affection build up in him for the second time.

“Yes, it lies beneath my back wing. I like present very much. Thank you.”

Kirlia, being attuned to the insect's feelings, joined him in the surge of joy.

“I like you,” Kirlia said happily. Nincada tilted its head.

“Why? I have done nothing to make you like me. I did not think anyone liked me.”

Kirlia briefly thought of the childish, yet loveable, overzealous Mudkip, the uptight, solemn Zubat and...That ***** of a Bayleef.

“Because you're a nice person, silly. And why don't you think people like you?”

“Like... it is an alien concept amongst Nincada. We compete to survive. The first human I met chose me just because I was stronger than others. I fight the Pokemon I see. I'm not sure I know how to 'like'.”

“Well,” Kirlia said, less steadily, “do you like me?”

“Perhaps,” Nincada said, no emotion in his voice. “I think it so. Because you are kind. You don't fight me and we talk. I feel warm being with you. Is this 'liking'?”

Despite Nincada feeling no special emotions while saying this, Kirlia felt a tear form in one of her eyes.

“Yes,” she said quietly, careful not to let her voice tremble.

“That's nice,” Nincada said contentedly. “Does this make us... friends?”

“Of course!” Kirlia said, regaining her composure.

Nincada didn't talk for a few moments; instead he enjoyed the warm feeling flowing through him. He liked having a friend.

“Will we be friends forever?” Nincada asked curiously, his voice still lacking any emotion.

“Of course!” Kirlia smiled.

“...Promise?” Nincada said, when he suddenly realised how sad it would make him if he were to have no friends again. Without any meaning, longing had crept into his voice.

“Promise,” she confirmed happily.

And the duo walked on; one feeling some of the best emotions of his life, and the other marvelling at the joy radiating off the other.

Last edited: