• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Life-Span of Pokemon

Will DeRegio

One thing I've come to realize is that Pokemon age. But, how long do they live? Does evolution change how long they live? Do they live longer caught or left in the wild? And, I'll try to compile a list of life expediencies of Pokemon:
*I'm pretty sure Ghost types can't die.

Gen I:
Wartortle, rumored to live 10,00 years
Ninetails, 1000 years
Paras, tochukaso mushrooms promote longevity
Farfetch'd, lives as long as it has it's stick
Onix, at least 100 years (See Steelix)
Kangaskhan, takes 3 years for young to develop, double that of kangaroos. Est. lifespan of 40 years.
Magikarp, can live for many years
Porygon, they are immortal, as they live in cyberspace
Mewtwo, 15 years+

Gen 2:
Steelix, takes 100 years for an Onix to evolve in the wild.
Porygon2, immortal
Raikou, 150 years+
Entei, 150 years+
Suicune, 150 years+
Lugia, 700 years+
Ho-Oh, 700 years+
Celebi, ageless

Gen 3:
Nincada, 10 years developing underground.
Agron, age determined by horn length.
Camerupt, at least 10 years, for it's volcanic humps to erupt.
Lunatone, 40 years?
Claydol, animated clay, their bodies have lasted 20,000 years.
Absol, 100 years
Regirock, repairs self
Regice, over 10,000 years
Registeel, over 10,000 years
Deoxys, regenerates, so long as the central crystal is intact.

Gen 4:
Porygon-Z, immortal
Regigigas, older than Regice, Regirock, and Registeel
Darkrai, 100 years +?
Arceus, possibly older than time itself

Gen 5:
Reshiram, 2500 years+
Zekrom, 2500 years+

I've go on to compare some Pokemon to real world equivalents.

Last edited:

TeamRocketGrunt

WobbWobbWobb Wobrudo
Arceus lives forever as he is a god

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
Arceus lives forever as he is a god

Possibly a god. It's not confirmed.

Ho-Oh and Lugia are each at least 700 years old, and the Legendary Beasts are at least 150 (although they died once before so they may or may not be older depending on your style of bookkeeping).

Reshiram, Zekrom and Kyurem are all at least 2500 years old as that is when the initial split occurred; however, Reshiram and Zekrom at least have displayed the ability to revert into dormant states (the Light and Dark Stones) which may have contributed to their longevity.

Last edited:

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Well, in the anime, wasn't there an episode that said that Pokémon age at the same pace as their trainers, though they may live a little bit longer? It was sometime in the Johto saga with an old pilot and his Noctowl buddy, though I'm not sure if that was what the episode was really about. But if you're talking about just the games, you have to remember that the PokéDex entries are being filled out by a ten-year-old. Most of the entries are also just legends the trainer may have heard along the way or from his/her own childhood, it doesn't necessarily mean the legends are true.

Poliwhirl'sMittens

Lorelei's Apprentice
Well, in the anime, wasn't there an episode that said that Pokémon age at the same pace as their trainers, though they may live a little bit longer? It was sometime in the Johto saga with an old pilot and his Noctowl buddy, though I'm not sure if that was what the episode was really about. But if you're talking about just the games, you have to remember that the PokéDex entries are being filled out by a ten-year-old. Most of the entries are also just legends the trainer may have heard along the way or from his/her own childhood, it doesn't necessarily mean the legends are true.
The pokedex isn't written by 10 year olds -.- The pokedex entries are automatically written. My guess is that Professor Oak already inputted the data before giving it to the trainers and all the trainer has to do is see a pokemon live and scan it with the pokedex to verify/validate its data.

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
O_O This is the first time I've heard this from anyone since Mew's introduction..
Well, you can take it from here Endolise.

I believe there is only one Mew as well, at least when it comes to the anime. In the games, I'm sure there are a few splotches of Mew populations, but it's believed to be the rarest of all Pokémon, so that's how I interpreted it.

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
O_O This is the first time I've heard this from anyone since Mew's introduction..
Well, you can take it from here Endolise.

You got it.

I believe there is only one Mew as well, at least when it comes to the anime. In the games, I'm sure there are a few splotches of Mew populations, but it's believed to be the rarest of all Pokémon, so that's how I interpreted it.

The key concept here is separate continuities. What may be true for the games is not always necessarily true for the anime and certainly not vice-versa. While the anime may suggest that there is only one Mew (which I doubt due to the differences in personality between the Mew from Mewtwo Strikes Back and the one from Lucario and the Mystery of Mew), the games are very indicative of the existence of a population of Mew. We have the Mew from South America that was used to create Mewtwo, as well as the Mew that lives on Faraway Island. In addition to that, Mew's Pokedex entry in Emerald reads "A Mew is said to possess the genes of all Pokémon. It is capable of making itself invisible at will, so it entirely avoids notice even if it approaches people." A Mew. The wording would suggest that more than one exist.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Rarest of all Pokemon? What about Arceus or some other godly-living-for-a-long-time Pokemon???

I think it's the rarest of breeding Pokémon (in-universe), but I'm not entirely sure. That fact/theory started going into obscurity since the reveal of newer generations. It's more on personal belief, so I'm still inclined to believe Mew is the rarest of all Pokémon.

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo

VampirateMace

Internet Overlord
Ninetails is supposed to live over 1000 years.
Porygon wouldn't acturally be immortal, they just wouldn't be capable of dying from old age.

It's a strange question to which the awnser hasn't been made clear by the anime or games.

The_UnAmerican_Idol

This... Is my Buddy.
Not in-game, but in-universe. Although I believe any Pokemon to be capable of reproducing.

I dont think Legendary Pokemon reproduce, I think that when they reach the end of their lifespan, they are reborn.