• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Lonely Deino (717)

Juputoru

M-m-m-m-onobear?!
Geez, you may as well write a fan fic for each episode, dude.
Dudeette. :)

And people seem to like these things, so I keep making them. At least it's a nice break from "WHY DIDN'T IRIS CATCH DEINO???/SHE CAN CATCH ONE LATER!/THAT WOULD BE STUPID/NO IT WOULDN'T"?

Back on topic!

Haunter227 said:
The overlook of the three islands reminded me of Movie 2000, im looking forward to the Kami episodes even more now.
Ha, glad to see I'm not the only one who thought that. The shines didn't help with that, either. I guess each genie gets its own shrine in the anime, even though Landorus was the only one who got a shrine in the game. (Unless Tornadus/Thundurus had one somewhere and I forgot)

Haunter ゴースト

Ha, glad to see I'm not the only one who thought that. The shines didn't help with that, either. I guess each genie gets its own shrine in the anime, even though Landorus was the only one who got a shrine in the game. (Unless Tornadus/Thundurus had one somewhere and I forgot)

I thought that kind of sucked, Landorus is seen as the leader yet they all have a shrine to equal them out I suppose, oh well.

Nah Landorus is the only one to have one in the games ^^.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
If they wanted to give Iris Deino, they would have done it earlier and would have dropped Emonga. But it's obvious that she won't be the gym leader with only one dragon Pokemon. So the writers pretty much had this planned from the beginning.

I could care less if she is the gym leader or not, she is gonna get more then one dragon pokemon, and I will bet you she will get Deino or Zweilous.

The episode was not crappy, it was you that set your hopes too high. It was always a 50/50 situation. -_- The writers didn't troll anybody.

And it's nice Swadloon AT LEAST appeared.

This episode was enjoyable and got some development for Iris besides these kind of bonding eps happened in the past Brock+Stantler & Misty+Marill in Johto, May+Swablu & Max+Ralts in Hoenn.

Um yes it was, pls tell me what makes this episode good?? Oh Swadloon appeared?? Joy it was the best episode of pokemon ever!!! What Stunfisk and Pikachu get stepped on?? OMG how amazing!!! Iris gets totally trolled?? Yep so awesome!! Ya this episode was crap just for the simple fact that she didn't get Deino cuz that was the point of the whole episode!!! There is a reason people didn't like the previous bonding episodes(except for the Max one).

I can tell when somebody is biased. Some people hated this episode because Iris didn't get Deino (when it was NEVER clear she was getting the thing) and the writers supposedly trolled them (lol) and that's it, altough it's ok if you don't like something, like you said everyone have different opinions.

Um I am not biased buddy, when the best part of an Iris episode involves Ash and Dento's pokemon, it sucks.

This.

dman_dustin

I can tell when somebody is biased. Some people hated this episode because Iris didn't get Deino (when it was NEVER clear she was getting the thing) and the writers supposedly trolled them (lol) and that's it, altough it's ok if you don't like something, like you said everyone have different opinions.

I don't really think that's why they dislike this episode.

Like I think I said it was better than some (of the episode I was able to see), so it isn't really the episode itself, but just how the plot of the episode worked out.

This is what I'm able to ascertain about this episode. I might be wrong, but I think from what I was able to see this the episode in a nutshell.

-Episode begins with training, and just because we're never going to randomly get a full one on one, they have to interrupt the battle with Deino (okay more opinion based, but its what happened).

- Both Iris and Ash see Deino that they want to catch. Since there are two, might as well catch them.

- Unfortunately for them they already belong to trainers, so cue Bobby or whatever and the whole daycare.

- Iris wanting to be a dragon master, knows more about dragons than Bobby.

- Bobby decides that maybe Iris can help him out. And then at some point Iris runs into the shy Deino (thanks to Pikachu and it's super ESP that for whatever reason never works around Team Rocket's schemes, and is only used to find Pokemon).

- Cue Ash, Cilan (and Iris I believe) helping Bobby out, just to get the lay of the Daycare that Bobby runs.

- Iris is still trying to get the shy Deino to come out of its shell.

- Then at night, Iris recalls the tale of the Matriarch/Elder of her village, being able to calm down Druddigon, possibly touching Deino in some way.

- Later on, the other Deino trainers come to get their Deino (for whatever idiotic reason for their being 3 separate trainers even though it made no sense). All except the shy one's trainer.

- Ash and Cilan apparently are ready to go to Driftveil or at least leave Bobby's daycare, but Iris wants to stay with Deino until its trainer comes and gets it.

- Then sooner rather than later Deino gets to trusting Iris, and they play for a few days.

- Then one day, Iris asks Deino if it wants to come with her, THEN Deino's trainer magically appears out of nowhere, limping with a cane no less, and then later recounts the tale of Chargestone Cave and a Tynamo. I'm not sure what happened after that, since the last thing I remember is the guy with a shocked face inside the cave, and then it was time for Deino to be recalled into its Poke ball.

So that's it from what I can remember. I may have mixed up some events, but it seems to have the same outcome regardless. And I will probably amend this post when I can watch it in better quality than the quality I saw it yesterday.

So the problem with episode? A lot of it has to do with her not getting Deino, and not because she needed one but rather it seemed like she was cheated out of getting it. And it goes back to An00bis's post about how this could've been resolved a lot sooner.

1. Iris would not have done this with any other typed Pokemon other than dragon. Had this been any of the other 16 Pokemon types (especially Ice), she probably would've been okay leaving even if she had bonded with said Pokemon during the time they were together.

2. As I believe, and as An00bis first pointed out (in this thread), this could've all been resolved SOONER. Instead of wasting a few days, just waiting for the trainer, that was always going to be there eventually to get Deino. So not only does Ash have to delay getting his next badge because he is a good friend and wants to support Iris, Iris also doesn't really get anything out of this.

3. To write it like this with no reward than a good feeling inside comes off as hateful to Iris's character.

See I think the biggest problem was having Iris bond with the Deino in a way that she wanted to be its trainer, and take care of it, since its trainer (regardless of his/her wellbeing; I know its a guy but assume for a moment I'm referring prior to HIS revelation to Iris).

This episode would've worked a lot better in terms of fairness if it was similar to Amy and her Druddigon.

Have Bobby say that the trainer called, saying that there was an accident, and he's going to try and get to Deino as soon as he can make it, under his injured condition or have the trainer always be there, and just have it be that even Bobby can't help the trainer with his Deino, cue Iris bonding with it like some characters bonding with Ash's Pikachu. Cue everything but the whole "Will you be my Pokemon?" "Let's stay until the trainer comes to get Deino? BS.

And if Iris actually told Cilan and Ash something along the lines "I want to wait until I can get through to Deino" than that would justify them staying for all those days.

See the problem I have about this episode is it focuses more on the bond between Iris and Deino, that the episode completely forgets that isn't supposed to be about their bond, but Iris's development as a Dragon Master.

See my examples would've been what the episode should've been about, because then it would've been about Iris's development as a Dragon Master and being able to open said dragon Pokemon up to her and other trainers.

I'm not saying that isn't what happened here, but I have to say it was cruel way of doing, since her development as a dragon master, was blurred by the whole bonding with Deino, and feeling sorry for it, to the point where Iris wants Deino to come with her.

That I think is why this episode is disliked. Because it does feel Iris was cheated out of Deino. But I guess there could be a kernel of humility/reality in the episode too, about how you can't always get what you expect/want. But they kind of did it in a cruel fashion that it comes off as unnecessary.

Edit: So aside from that biggest flaw, it was a fairly decent episode. Especially since Swadloon was in it. LOL.

Demonsead

Hoenn Challenger
Iris is not going to get any other Deino later.

Even if you take Ash and his Gible into consideration, all it did was master an attack it wouldn't have gotten a lot of mileage out of anyway, so I can agree with this.

jrizza88

Meteorite
Whenever the writers have a character look sad in a preview with a possible capture, most likely they will not get it. I called this being similar to the May/Swablu or Max/Ralts episodes, even though this one was nowhere near as sad. They didn't even make much of a big deal of Iris letting Deino go back to its trainer.

Honestly, I felt the emotion in Iris's eyes when the Deino looked at her the way it did. I honestly thought it was very emotional.

G50

No longer posting
This episode was ok... It was great to see Monozu for the 1st time. The 3 Monozu are so cute! Kurumayu got a tiny bit of training only, but better than not seeing it at all. Ash's/Pikachu's/Iris' reactions and faces to the Monozu eating their food were hilarious. It was sad seeing Muggyo crying a little after being stepped on. The daycare man is one odd dude... He got to do a small speech similar to what Dento typically does and with the same background. It was cool seeing Iris slowly earning the shy Monozu's trust, and really getting to bond with it. There were a lot of emotions in this episode, especially when the trainer came to get the shy Deino. It was funny when Iris was angry at the supposed Deino trainer, but ended up not being his trainer and she got embarrassed.

11/100

Victory

Banned
Wow...that Dude in the blue shirt looks a lot like Cilan...

Remmie

I think it sucks that after all the trouble Iris went to finally bond with Deino she doesn't get it in the end. Deino's trainer should have given it to her. She better gets it next time!

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
I think it sucks that after all the trouble Iris went to finally bond with Deino she doesn't get it in the end. Deino's trainer should have given it to her. She better gets it next time!

Why would he do that? No one told Iris to stay and try to bond with someone else's Pokemon. The trainer had some problems along the way. He didn't leave the Deino there for that long on purpose. Let's stop being so upset to think that all daycare Pokemon are left to rot without reason.

gliscor&yanmega

Nah, I'd prefer it if she didn't get another messed up pokemon.

There's nothing wrong with Deino. It was just lonely since it was away from it's trainer, it ended up warming up to Iris by the end of the episode. So it's not "messed" up.

Anyways, I just finished watching this episode. Bobby was awesome, I loved the way he spoke(Speaking in third person sometimes, and finishing his sentences with "see"), I wouldn't mind seeing him again in another episode, I doubt it will happen though. The Foongus trainer was pretty funny, the whole scene was actually, I loved how the music started when he appeared.

It was a bit of an emotional episode, but still had comedic parts, and I liked that. I enjoyed the episode.

CupidKirby

Ya this episode was crap just for the simple fact that she didn't get Deino cuz that was the point of the whole episode!!! There is a reason people didn't like the previous bonding episodes(except for the Max one).

But Iris didn't catch Deino, so that clearly wasn't the point. It's just what people have been speculating was the point for months. Please don't put words into the writers' mouths.

Anyway, I just saw the episode. It felt mellower than usual since there wasn't a full battle, but I still liked it. It's great how they're actually expanding more on Iris' feelings at what it takes to becoming a Dragon Master (oh hey maybe that was the point) past the line of just murdering everyone with outrage in battle. My favorite part had to be the little scene with Ash and Dento deciding to stay with Iris, kind of like a little bit of friendship thrown in there too.

In terms of comedy, Stunfisk and Dent made the episode for me.

[IMG139]http://i43.*******.com/wltxrn.png[/IMG139]

Shouldn't Stunfisk have blasted those Deino with Thundershock? o_O I wasn't expecting it to sit there and whine.

I don't think it was nice of Iris to declare that she will take the Deino if the trainer doesn't come when he was expected to. If that guy had made it to the Daycare one day later, Deino would have been gone. She had no right to take Deino, so I'm glad the trainer made it back to the Daycare safely. I also don't get why she wanted it to bond with her. It would have been better if she was trying to help Deino become more comfortable at the Daycare with Bobby and the other pokemon. That scene with the Foongus trainer was funny.

Ash was teasing the Ducklett by holding all the food out of their reach. What a kid. -_-

UnbelievableUrsula

Cute and Creepy!
It was nice seeing iris bond with Deino. It would be a great Pokemon for her to have. I just wished it didnt belonged to someone else. I wished it was wild like Swablu was or atleast something closer to that effect.