• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Lonely Snover (589)

PamperedPersian1

Okay, so the episode started rather randomly, but I surprised myself at how much I liked the beginning, mostly because the dub has finally changed the opening sequence mid-season. The changes made the opening much better, only using scenes from one episode [that being the one with Hunter J! They finally included her!!!]

Anyway, on with the review... Hm, starts out with battling, flame monkey vs. godzilla.... I gotta say, the scene with the ice actually made me laugh; the team's expressions when they were frozen in ice were really comical, Brock especially, he looked like a ballerina! ... The tree does some sort of ritual, which is broken by flame monkey. And, of course, they're completely oblivious to the Christmas tree that's in plain view.... And it seems to have an Impish nature. Brock is, once again, the human Pokedex and they still don't hear the giggling tree... And Ash is once again Captain Obvious and Sherlock Holmes...

The cornered rat bites back with giant vines... impressive! The tree finally reveals itself and the trio has failed at investigating... Now if only you could stop ingrain with Razor Leaf in the games... Or if Grasswhistle was really that accurate... Oh, sure, now you hug them to get on their good side! ... Dawn, you don't want to know what Snover's doing to him, WHAT DO YOU THINK?! GET YOUR MIND OUT OF THE GUTTER, THIS IS A KIDS SHOW! ... Okay, this next scene really puts my mind in the gutter... And what TR says doesn't help...

... Hey the Boss fantasies haven't died... but they're still just as lame... guys, you don't have to justify every capture! .. *space out* Snover pigs out... group says good-bye... Hm, a bit early in the episode, but oh well... Oh wait, it doesn't want to leave, that explains it... And the tree does a happy ritual.

Hm, TR's finally getting smart and coming in the dead of night... just to steal a berry... However, their expressions were funny... Oh wait, Pikachu has super hearing... The motto seemed a bit long this time... And even though it's wild, Ash and co. has to butt in... For once, thunderbolt didn't blast them off... Have they developed an immunity?! ... but that was still epic fail... And even though there are umpteen Pokemon out, they're taking TR's abuse...? Hm, looks like they'll finally get away! ... Or not, but I loved the whooshing sound as they blasted off!

... Still trying to keep my mind out of the gutter... TR isn't helping again... It's true! They're immune!!! And a few small vines save Godzilla... Hm, seems TR might win, especially since THE POKEMON IS WILD! Epic fail for Godzilla! Depression phase... Ooo! Flashback!

Cool scene, looks like something from DBZ! ... So, it heals itself, then learns a new move...? ... Whatever happened to slow and steady wins the race? And Godzilla goes uber and pwns TR... But that was a nice explosion.... And everyone is safe, but Godzilla sacrificed itself... not really...

Epic Croagunk/Brock scene!!! ... Sadly, Brock doesn't even mention he's a breeder... But the tree is now loved and doesn't latch onto the group anymore. And Dawn learns of a contest in some unknown town. Yes Dawn, raise your hand for the barely COTD teacher.

And this time it's goodbye for good. This time the narrator isn't helping me keep my mind out of the gutter...

Overall, it seemed fillerish, Grotle learned a move for its speed, but it had some really comical scenes. It was actually a decent episode. Not to mention that this is the first decent opening in a while!

I noticed something new about the introduction. I don't recall ever seeing the Regi's fighting Regigigas scene in the Japanese version. Is that new? I was watching the opening online.

lucario750

pokemon master
you know those berry snover gave to ash and the gang those berry should be in hg ss

Shiny Raichu

Bug/Electric Pokemon Trainer
I may be the only one that noticed but The episode was supposed to be in widecreen HD. Instead they just chopped the ends off and force fit the scenes into standard. The new opening was animated to take advantage of the wider screen and the edited standard one seemed very cramped. Check out the japanese version of the episode and you'll see the difference. I am enraged!

5ilVer

<-- so adorable ^_^
nice episode...I liked it
But Ash's voice sounded quite feminine no?
I know there is a woman doing Ash's voice but she always managed to make him sound like a guy....

by the way did anyone nothiced on which part of Brock's body Croagunk did his Poison Jab? -------> his a*s

Shadow XD001

Wow, alot changed in this episode. It made a filler actually pretty interesting. It was nice seeing the Japanese opening, although I expected an opening change since the one we had before only had scenes prior to when Ash got his sixth badge, and some after.

On to the episode, it was great. Nice to Grotle get more screentime and learn a new move! Also, with the nuts growing on it maybe sh and Co. will find a good Pokemon eating the nuts on Grotle!

I noticed the To Be Continued changed, I personally liked the old one.

Swampert_trainer

Laughs at thunder
Great episode! The new opening really caught my eye. I re-watched it a few times. I was a little upset that they showed max but no Drew, Gary, Paul, or Barry. Oh well.

I liked Snover and I really wish he would have stayed with the group. Too bad Ash had a full team and Snover showed no particular interest in Brock or Dawn.

Grotle learning Rock Climb was awesome. I wonder how it will be used in later battles. Its not like theres going to be a convenient mountain around every time Grotle battle.

Oh and the nuts growing on Grotle's back was so funny. Wild Pokemon are already starting to rest on his back. Just imagine the shinanigans what will insue once Grotle evolves.

Anway this episode was great. I give it a 9/10.

Edit: Rank up!

Last edited:

The Phantom Thief

I noticed something new about the introduction. I don't recall ever seeing the Regi's fighting Regigigas scene in the Japanese version. Is that new? I was watching the opening online.

They used a couple of scenes from DP129. IMO I thought the opening was very good (even though they didn't show the rest of May's face in the supporting characters shot. But it was good nonetheless). Much better than the last one that's for sure.

Overall, the episode itself was good. Grotle learning Rock Climb was pretty neat and Snover wasn't that bad either. Too bad nobody ended up capturing it. Oh well.

mimefan

Banned
The episode was great, but I wished that he caught Snover.

ash_forever

Greatest Hero
This time, I'm going to divide my review into two parts:

A)
Concerning the new opening, I must say that I sure was surprised and didn't expect it. Although I really liked the "old" opening of season 12, the new one is a welcome change. What did bother me though, was the fact that in the middle of the opening, the scenes with the supportive characters were cut WAY too quickly. I'm sorry for saying that, but this part was messed up, unfortunately. What a pity, because the more I think about it, the more I realize how great and amazing the opening is all in all. But, hey, no need to worry! Let's look at it from this point of view: Said scenes may be too short, but this also means that they are over soon.;) I guess we will be able to put up with a few seconds of messed-up cuts and still enjoy the impressive opening.

B)
Now let's take a closer look at the episode itself:
What may have seemed to be a standard episode (or "filler" as some of you call it) actually turned out to be pretty entertaining and sometimes even rousing during the scenes at the end when Grotle was shining and showing his power!

This week's "Comedy Award" definitely goes to Meowth for my favorite line which goes as follows (I don't remeber it 100% correctly, though): "Pokemon that bear fruit don't grow on trees"! A nice pun, especially with regard to Snover's shape which resembles a tree :D

Snover hugging Ash was somehow moving and cute, although I'm not sure what I would have felt in this situation if I were Ash. Moving though it was, but it also seemed kind of strange ^^

I don't know whether this is only a product of my crazy imagination, but please tell me: Who else thought at first that Snover's ice cream-like berries were poisoned and that Snover only wanted to give them to our heroes to mess around with them as it had done before? I just can't get rid of this worrying feeling...:XD:
What do you think?

Grotle using Rock Climb and acting like a superhero sure was by far the best moment today. But although I'm totally thrilled by it, I still wonder if this new attack will be of any help to Grotle. I mean, sure, it's extremly helpful during an adventure or in open terrain, but how would you use it in a BATTLE considering that only a tiny percentage of battle arenas actually have rocky terrain, quite apart from the battlefield during the leagues which is mostly a pool or simply an even field with Pokeball markings in the middle??
Well, I'm always open to surprises, I just hope that Grotle will use this attack not all too seldom so that we'll actually get to see it.

Yes, an interesting, nice and entertaining episode which gets
6.5 out 10 points

FunPika

I was a little upset that they showed max but no Drew, Gary, Paul, or Barry. Oh well.

Actually, you can see half of Paul for a split second around 13-14 seconds into the theme. It would have been nice if they used the full High Touch opening (which would have shown all of Gary/Paul, unlike this shortened dubbed version).

the1stpkmnfan

Your Big Buff Bro
Concerning the new opening, I must say that I sure was surprised and didn't expect it. Although I really liked the "old" opening of season 12, the new one is a welcome change.
I felt the same way. It's pretty good to have an amazing change, especially a big suprise. The opening was a fantastic example.

Plus, speaking of the opening, I hope the new opening will be added on Youtube soon. :(

I may be the only one that noticed but The episode was supposed to be in widecreen HD. Instead they just chopped the ends off and force fit the scenes into standard. The new opening was animated to take advantage of the wider screen and the edited standard one seemed very cramped. Check out the japanese version of the episode and you'll see the difference. I am enraged!

If you don't have Cartoon Network HD, then you're going to be watching theses HD episodes like any other episode. Or once Youtuber's have these episodes up in HD. No need to worry!

WaterDragon trainer

Freak Like Me
This episode was good. Cool to see a Snover although it's voice was a little weird to me. Also cool to see a Rock Climb for Grotle. As always, I liked Meowth's idea for Snover use by Giovanni as well as Croagunk Poison Jabbing Brock.

Alright, I was half-asleep when I watched this (I just woke up) so the following paragraph will probably be extremely confusing.
But anyway:

-New opening? Wow, didn't see that one coming. I must admit, it's better though. Much more similar to the Japanese openings.
-Snover's determined. o.o
-You know, I'm reminded of Jigglypuff when Snover uses Grasswhistle.
-Team Rocket never gives up. Meowth and his far-fetched ideas... :p
-Is it just me or is the Team Rocket motto background music slightly different?
-Yay, Grotle's actually doing something in this episode...
-The music when TR and Ash and co. battle - haven't heard it in a while. :p
-Aww, it's so cute when there's several bird Pokemon eating the acorns on Grotle. xD
-A thunder-proof balloon for Team Rocket... and as usual, left a huge loophole. Now that's the Team Rocket we all know and love.
-The acorns on Grotle disappeared rather quickly. o_O
-Grotle can fly. o.o The anime sure overpowers moves like Rock Climb.
-Happiny appears again, and of course, it's just to perform an unimaginable feat of strength.
-Brock hits on the girl. Totally didn't see that one coming. And nice montage of Brock in pain.
-Dawn's right. Brock DOES recover fast... Very, very fast.
-Awww, Snover playing with the kids... How cute :3
-The "To Be Continued" font changed... D:

Argh, such a cliché ending... :3 Wasn't too bad an episode, but too similar to every other non gym/contest episode.

yeminied

The new opening is so cool. Too bad we didn't get to see Gliscor do its thing like the rest of Ash's team. I am dissappointed that the opening was rushed and May's head was cut off but it was much better than the piece of c*** we had last time.

I loved the episode and new opening. I thought Grotle's rock climb was awesome and my brother said as we were watching it he just kept thinking of that song the climb when grotle learned it. I guess Brock isn't gonna catch anymore pokemon since he had a chance here.

~AussieWonder~

Am I the only one who didn't like this episode?? Actually, more accurately, I didn't like the animation. I thought it was horrible. Seeing Grotle learn a new attack and the new opening were definitely the highlights.