• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The longevity of the Pokemon franchise...

LonelyHat

Fedora-sama
I worry sometimes, about the franchise dying too, but if you think on it - it isn't likely to happen very soon.

For one thing - much as I love most of the pokemon games - they haven't exactly worked themselves to death creativity-wise, have they? Someone on the first page mentioned the pattern of the RPGs ~ win badges, battle bad guys, EV train. It's been exactly like that for...how many years now? Thirteen something?

On the off chance that the thing does get old (and I don't think it will since new generations will get to know it just as the previous ones get tired of it), they still have a small million of ways to alter the gameplay in order to make it more interesting or refreshing.

Uuuuhm, let's see...change starter types. Create dialogue options for the main character, thus giving him/her a shot at developing a personality. Make the characters' appearance customizable. Introduce optional, hidden gyms to unlock /insertrandomgamebonusthing/. Make the first pokemon in party follow the player like Pikachu in Yellow (remember that? ^.^).

I mean, I'm just typing off the top of my head here and the possibilities are endless, but really, anything from the smallest of tweaks to major gameplay changes will cause an uproar and an incredible boost to the developers' income.

Come on. If ONE thing was changed and then advertised, most of us would buy like mad. o_O' It's actually kind of disturbing. (._. )

Last edited:

the master123

Ive Gotta bad feelin
Dont worry i doubt pokemon will die anytime soon.

NPC

sleep researcher
The only reason why I'd wish for Pokémon to end would be so that they'd go out with a bang.

Something like a Pokémon game where you can visit all main regions of the past, capture all Pokémon, finish the (and I use the term very loosely) story, and battle Red as the secret final boss of the whole thing.

Well that and I can only keep track of so many critters. I'd be very happy with one more generation of ~150 Pokémon mostly unrelated to the previous ones, then a final generation that mostly just evolves the Pokémon who need it and tunes everything up.

I think pokemon will end when the earth blows up because the Mayan calendar ends, which should be in 3 years.

randomspot555

The only reason why I'd wish for Pokémon to end would be so that they'd go out with a bang.

Something like a Pokémon game where you can visit all main regions of the past, capture all Pokémon, finish the (and I use the term very loosely) story, and battle Red as the secret final boss of the whole thing.

Well that and I can only keep track of so many critters. I'd be very happy with one more generation of ~150 Pokémon mostly unrelated to the previous ones, then a final generation that mostly just evolves the Pokémon who need it and tunes everything up.

An all regions game is never going to happen.

Sonic15

May Fanboy
I see it like this....

Eventualy, they will run out of pokemon to make. There is a limit to all the animals in the universe, and soon there won't be enough to release a new game.
Then in order to keep the franchise alive, they will continue to re-make past games for newer systems. This will then lead to fans losing intrest in pokemon all together.

But thats just me.

Another possibilty could be a bad game.
One bad game can kill an entire franchise. Take Sonic for example..... once Sonic 06 hit the shelves, fans labled him as a "dieing franchise". And ever since then, he's never been the same.
That can easly happen to Pokemon. Fans will then praise the old school games while shunning the newer screw-ups (It's actualy happening right now. Some old fans can't stand the new games).

Chaos Rush

You also have to take into account how the anime is aimed toward the 7-12(I guess?) age group, and there will always be an unending supply of those children.(MMORPG!!! WOOOOT~)
IMO, the anime is aimed toward the 5-10 age group. I remember when I was 12, I thought the anime was stupid (and I still think it's stupid).

IMO, I wish the last Pokemon games are HG/SS. I know it's gonna be great, and that's how the franchise should end. They've already screwed some things up with it (WHO CARES ABOUT A F*CKING PICHU WITH A WEIRD EAR). I just hope they don't screw more things up.

BCVM22

IMO, I wish the last Pokemon games are HG/SS. I know it's gonna be great, and that's how the franchise should end. They've already screwed some things up with it (WHO CARES ABOUT A F*CKING PICHU WITH A WEIRD EAR). I just hope they don't screw more things up.

You can't be serious with any of this. Step outside, get your giggles out and come back into the classroom when you're ready to participate.

I really don't want Pokemon to end soon, I love it too much at the moment.

However, I do feel that they should take their time and think of small ways to altar the game from previous ones - Random weather changes (snow, rain, etc), Slightly changeable main character (change hair colour, clothes colour, take off hat, etc) and take more time in making believable pokemon (Aipom - good concept but ferocioulsy ugly and don't even get me started on Ambipom. Don't go insulting me that "Pokemon is or never has been realistic!" - I just wish they could make the pokemon a little more believable, after all, the imagination of having real Pokemon is what makes us love it so much. But pokemon that clearly would never exist should be done away with).

Sorry for my rant, I love to do that :D

BCVM22

Don't go insulting me that "Pokemon is or never has been realistic!

It hasn't, not from the very first moment of animation, not from the very first byte of data, not from the very first character design. If being reminded of that really counts as an insult to you, the problem is yours, not anyone else's.

Last edited:
"It hasn't, not from the very first moment of animation, not from the very first byte of data, not from the very first character design. If being reminded of that really counts as an insult to you, the problem is yours, not anyone else's."

I know, but I just like to think about things realistically.

randomspot555

Eventualy, they will run out of pokemon to make. There is a limit to all the animals in the universe, and soon there won't be enough to release a new game.

Do you think before you type? There are not only real-life past and present animals, but mythological and other types of fictional animals.

While technically there is a "limit" on them, that limit is somewhere in the hundreds of billions, probably in the trillions.

And there's currently only 493. "omgzers running out of animkals!!!!!1" isn't a reason to think the franchise is going to end.

Do you really think Gamefreak and nintendo is going to give up their cash cow because some idiot can't think of more Pokemon? They'd fire the guy and hire someone else to do it.

Then in order to keep the franchise alive, they will continue to re-make past games for newer systems. This will then lead to fans losing intrest in pokemon all together.

Re-making games has so far been successful. There's no reason to think it'd be any different.

One bad game can kill an entire franchise. Take Sonic for example..... once Sonic 06 hit the shelves, fans labled him as a "dieing franchise". And ever since then, he's never been the same.

Last I checked, Sonic is still appearing in games. Despite that "bad game", it's still going strong.

Sounds like you don't know what you're talking about.

That can easly happen to Pokemon. Fans will then praise the old school games while shunning the newer screw-ups (It's actualy happening right now. Some old fans can't stand the new games).

That's because those "old fans" are either idiots, blinded by nostalgia, or both. They aren't being objective to the new games, and instead letting blind nostalgia cloud their judgement on the "glory days" of the franchise.

Yeah, they should totally stop making a franchise that millions enjoy just because some Internet Fans are stuck in the past.

I never said it would happen, I just said it'd be nice if it did.

Okay. But it's completely unrealistic, because Gamefreak doesn't work on the console games, and the 2nd/3rd party affiliates that do make console games have made it clear they won't be putting much effort into them.

It's like me wishing for a unicorn for my birthday. Sure, I can wish for it all I want. It doesn't make it realistic.

However, I do feel that they should take their time and think of small ways to altar the game from previous ones - Random weather changes (snow, rain, etc), Slightly changeable main character (change hair colour, clothes colour, take off hat, etc) and take more time in making believable pokemon (Aipom - good concept but ferocioulsy ugly and don't even get me started on Ambipom. Don't go insulting me that "Pokemon is or never has been realistic!" - I just wish they could make the pokemon a little more believable, after all, the imagination of having real Pokemon is what makes us love it so much. But pokemon that clearly would never exist should be done away with).

Sorry for my rant, I love to do that :D

"More believable"? Sounds like a double standard. We're talking about monsters that have unexplained powers that can damage and injure, but aren't lethal. If you can't suspend your belief for that, you need to go play another game.

Lil Juan Pablo

Pokemon Master
im hoping one day the franchise will hit 1000 pokemon, is it possible, as KG

profpeanut

Pokemon will die only at the very moment Nintendo does. Only then will the world be deprived of this series.

Vycksta

Chaos Rush said:
Lemme guess, you're one of those that's butthurt over Kris being replaced by the new girl. If so care to explain why seeing as we have only seen ONE picture of her.

/jumpingtoconclusions

Blue Bongo

I think the main problem might be the struggle to come up with new Pokemon. There were 151 originally, then another 151 for Gen 2, then another 150 for gen 3. Then there was only 108 for Diamond and Pearl, most of which were evolutions of previous Pokemon. It shows that they're possibly running out of ideas.

I mean, the games are still good, but if they can't come up with a new reason to play a new game, then the ability to sell might be hard.