• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Lost Grookey! Who is its Trainer!? (1148)

santiagus

I watched Pokemon anime for 20 freaking years
Yes, Team Rocket is super well-known for treating their non-personal Pokemon with kindness and respect, hence why they're constantly putting them in cages and whatnot. And why not? Chances are a villain's Pokemon were stolen to begin with.

Are you trying to imply that Team Rocket has no care for his Pokemon?

They still bond with their Pokemon 1000 time better than Goh. They even sacrificed his own safety and happines for their own Pokemon

But let's reduce them to just "They are really bad people that do not deserve anything"

All Diamond and Pearl and Sun and Moon built respect to Team Rocket has gone to the trash.

Of course we have to make them look bad so Grookey can be saved by the "Pokemon Messiah" Goh.

Now with prophetic dreams, next time he will be walking on water or something like that.

Oh and screw the Gatcha. Has made Team Rocket inssuferable for me and I was in the BlackandWhite days.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
They knocked the ball out of Jesse's hand, smashed it and then quickly caught it themselves. That is the very definition of stealing it.

A pokemon being "sentient creatures capable of making their own choices" doesn't seem to apply when Go enters a new area and just starts throwing balls at everything and taking them back to the lab. They're never asked what their choice is in that matter (unlike Ash who tends to bond with his Pokemon and ask if they want to join him). Funny how the Pokemon being given a choice or not isn't an issue when Go captures stuff, yet now we want to pretend it is one when he steals it from another trainer. Basically, you can't have it both ways. Go is either a kidnapper taking "fully sentient Pokemon" out of their natural habitat without getting their consent first or he's a thief that stole TR's property

Bottomline is TR were Grookey's owners and Grookey was taken from them without their consent. AKA STEALING
Did ash ask before catching pidove, fletchling, 30 freaking tauros, muk, palpitoad, sewaddle and so MANY more?
Such a double standard with Goh catching pokemon, esp since its established he takes care of them, cares for their wants and catches them to understand them

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
he mearly cracked the pokeball slightly in that episode to the point where the only reprocussion was it's recall feature didn't work.

it seems like here they completely broke Grookey's gatcha ball completely to the point where it effectively was released.

so there is a difference.
A comparison would be when Jessie broke Dustox’s pokéball when she released it

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
They knocked the ball out of Jesse's hand, smashed it and then quickly caught it themselves. That is the very definition of stealing it.
So we're just gonna ignore the part where Grookey clearly ran from the return beam to claim Goh took it? Sure, OK. That's fair. Also, who's "they?" Pretty sure it was Grookey who smashed the Ball, which, again, it did of its own volition.

santiagus

So we're just gonna ignore the part where Grookey clearly ran from the return beam to claim Goh took it? Sure, OK. That's fair. Also, who's "they?" Pretty sure it was Grookey who smashed the Ball, which, again, it did of its own volition.

I'm not ignoring, but it was poor.

Really poor. If he had Grookey without Team Rocket I would not care but this was insulting. In fact in the Sobble episode I was more mad that they did not catch Morpeko.

Oh and speaking about Morpeko, he can rot.

Soniman

Break the Limit
Okay i know grookey is a gachamon, which is pretty dubious by itself, but destroying the pokeball themselves so goh can get it leaves a really bad taste in my mouth.

No pokemon is safe from the grasp of goh.

I felt like they robbed a Pokemon ...

I know it's Gacha, but still, it's no different from what Goh does, catch everything that moves
You...you guys realize the Team Rocket organization is evil right? Like I think it's a safe bet these Pokémon are NOT being treated particularly well for the most part given the gangs MO

I'm sorry guys this once again just sounds like thinly veiled Goh bashing LOL yes how dare he take a Pokémon that wants to be with them from a gang of VILLIANS known for treating Pokémon that aren't apart of their actual team like garbage, just like any other TR member.

Give me a break, even im getting tired of hearing this every week now

Last edited:

ShadowDragon16

LOL just the thought of Goh catching other powerful Pokémon from Trio just by breaking the poke balls.

I’m thinking they rewrote the rules just to favor Goh.

At this point is Ash really needed other than making Gohs goals easier to obtain? He seems to be quite ok with standing in the background

New running gag, Ash beats the Trio gotcha mons and breaks the balls whil Goh catches everything

Ѕhiny Missingno

It is time for Goh to take the entire Gacha device, break every ball, and then add 300 new Pokemon to his collection
This but unironically.

Even going by just the pokémon we have already seen, that would add 31 new dex entries + evolutions.

And in all honesty, it would actually be kind of satisfying to see Gou having to battle TR to free their pokémon bit by bit since that would not only add meaning to those battles but also make Gou's captures involve him actually working towards catching them in ways other than throwing Poké Balls.

santiagus

You...you guys realize the Team Rocket organization is evil right? Like I think it's a safe bet these Pokémon are NOT being treated particularly well for the most part given the gangs MO

I'm sorry guys this once again just sounds like thinly veiled Goh bashing LOL
Yes but TRio are not.

They are angels.

YelST

watch Roukin
This but unironically.

Even going by just the pokémon we have already seen, that would add 31 new dex entries + evolutions.

And in all honesty, it would actually be kind of satisfying to see Gou having to battle TR to free their pokémon bit by bit since that would not only add meaning to those battles but also make Gou's captures involve him actually working towards catching them in ways other than throwing Poké Balls.
If/when GO Rocket get into the show I envisage Goh to start catching shadow Pokémon in this way

Dragonsoldier77

Bittersweet Satisfaction
Did ash ask before catching pidove, fletchling, 30 freaking tauros, muk, palpitoad, sewaddle and so MANY more?
Such a double standard with Goh catching pokemon, esp since its established he takes care of them, cares for their wants and catches them to understand them
I don’t think that’s the point.

All trainers who captured pokemon by force have always ignored the sentience of said pokemon to make them their property. In a series where the basic premise is to weaken wild creatures so they can be captured for combat sport, the ‘freedom’ of the pokemon never meant much, as a choice was for the most part was never an option. It’s why all wild pokemon are free game.

But for some reason this grookey had it’s own choice, which makes saying that what happens in the ep doesn’t count as the same thing as what TR does feel somewhat disingenuous, because the choices of captured pokemon never mattered unless the trainers acknowledge them.

So what exactly was the evil and horrendous thing that they did to this grookey?

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
Thank you for saying what I have been internally screaming while reading through this thread. The only way Go was the one in the wrong here is if you think Team Rocket's right to keep this 'mon that was probably stolen to begin with overrides Sarunori's right to not be with trainers it doesn't want to be with.

Gamzee Makara

Flirtin' With Disaster
*Grabs popcorn*

Wow, Team Rocket Fetishists out here doing the "Apu taking a bullet" meme for them.

And Team Plasma appears to have invaded this thread as well.

Furthermore, "pics or it didn't happen" logic, too.

This is gonna be a trainwreck...

PAndrews

Yes I am going to ignore that because Ash's Charizard did the exact same thing more then once when Ash tried to recall it and yet I sincerly doubt you'd have approved someone else then stealing Charizard for themselves if its ball had been damaged during one of the Ash roastings. And thats just one example of disobedient Pokemon disliking or even attacking their trainers.

Being disobedient doesn't negate ownership. What part of that is too complicated for you?

Grookey breaking the ball doesn't negate the fact Ash literally attacked Jesse so the ball was dropped or Go then throwing a ball faster then Jesse being capable of throwing a new one (is that clearer then "they" for you). What Go did was the very definition of theft, Grookey already had an owner and they took it from that owner without her consent, thats how "theft" works. Trying to claim otherwise just means you're being a blind fanboy.

Seriously, we've had heartwarming episode in which TR acknowledge their Pokemon would be happier elswhere and they released it (like Cacnea), there is absolutely no reason why the writers couldn't have gone that route instead of turning Go into a thief. Now we know any trainer can effectively just attack the trainer, break the pokeball they drop and then steal the Pokemon for themselves and its then considered theirs from that point on. The literal ease with which this now works and ownership can be stolen is just absolute terrible writing.

Soniman

Break the Limit
So what exactly was the evil and horrendous thing that they did to this grookey?
If Grookey wantscto be with Goh but is tied to known criminals as a forced pawn not "owned" or loved by anyone in the organization because he's not their Pokémon then why on earth would either Ash or Goh just leave him to his fate?

I really didn't think I'd have to explain this for people who have been watching the show across its near 25 year history (reading this headache of a thread though I guess I have too) but the Team Rocket Organization is evil and liberating Pokémon from them SHOULD be a priority. I'm not saying steal from the TRIO's actual team but Grookey is NOT on their "team" I see zero issue with this

Last edited:

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer

I'm sorry guys this once again just sounds like thinly veiled Goh bashing LOL yes how dare he take a Pokémon that wants to be with them from a gang of VILLIANS known for treating Pokémon that aren't apart of their actual team like garbage, just like any other TR member.

Give me a break, even im getting tired of hearing this every week now
Plus, unlike the Pokémon they catch themselves, or ones they actually bond with like Bewear & Stufful, Team Rocket generally treat the Gacha Machine like expensive gifts from Giovanni. They may occasionally treat them nice to an extent, but at the end of the day the Gatchamons are just tools to them and they’re more worried about what Giovanni will say than they are about losing a pokémon. I’m more surprised that that Team Rocket didn’t just send Grookey back to headquarters after they got it back than anything else

The only Gatcha pokémon that they showed to care about is Chewtle, & that doesn’t completely count since they were the ones who caught it .

Last edited:

Gamzee Makara

Flirtin' With Disaster
Yes I am going to ignore that because Ash's Charizard did the exact same thing more then once when Ash tried to recall it and yet I sincerly doubt you'd have approved someone else then stealing Charizard for themselves if its ball had been damaged during one of the Ash roastings. And thats just one example of disobedient Pokemon disliking or even attacking their trainers.

Being disobedient doesn't negate ownership. What part of that is too complicated for you?

Grookey breaking the ball doesn't negate the fact Ash literally attacked Jesse so the ball was dropped or Go then throwing a ball faster then Jesse being capable of throwing a new one (is that clearer then "they" for you). What Go did was the very definition of theft, Grookey already had an owner and they took it from that owner without her consent, thats how "theft" works. Trying to claim otherwise just means you're being a blind fanboy.

Seriously, we've had heartwarming episode in which TR acknowledge their Pokemon would be happier elswhere and they released it (like Cacnea), there is absolutely no reason why the writers couldn't have gone that route instead of turning Go into a thief. Now we know any trainer can effectively just attack the trainer, break the pokeball they drop and then steal the Pokemon for themselves and its then considered theirs from that point on. The literal ease with which this now works and ownership can be stolen is just absolute terrible writing

The Gacha mons aren't TRio's.

They belong to the organization. So they had no direct claim to ownership.

Unless you're saying a criminal organization has legitimate claims to ownership of anything, whihc makes me wonder what kind of Libertarian politics you've been smoking.

It WAS kinda wonky, but not worth pitching a fit over.