• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Lost Grookey! Who is its Trainer!? (1148)

Poke Master 7

Boulder Trainer
Also, this was Farferch'd first meeting with Team Rocket (on screen at least). It was nice to see Ash using him to deal with them.
Also thank goodness Go got the final starter, preventing the waste of a slot on Ash's team.
You mean like how Dragonite, Gengar and Dracovish are basically just taking up space in Ash’s roster considering that neither Gengar or Dragonite have even gotten use since the Darkest Day arc around 15 episodes ago and Dracovish hasn’t even been seen since it was caught? I fail to see how Grookey would be a wasted slot when the writers seem perfectly fine with filling Ash’s roster with fluff just to say it’s full. At this point, they might as well have spaced out his captures to at least allow more of a variety or gone with allowing him more than 6 Pokémon since Sakurai Park makes it easy to rotate as needed.

British Soul

Top Hat Regulator
Potential essay time?!

Going into this episode, we were programmed to think that this was another "lost Pokemon, let's find their trainer who lost said Pokemon in an accidental manner" situation, but as is the case with this series, they like to break conventions and it turned out to be a TR Gacha 'mon that escaped after the machine itself fell onto the ground, though I will say at that point, I thought the Grookey was already hiding behind the structure when the machine fell, but debunked that when I realised that if another pokemon had fallen out whilst the Grookey was already there, surely Pelipper would've noticed. On another note, when Jessie tried returning Grookey into the ball initially, I thought the tone that she said that line was amusing. When Grookey broke the TR ball, essentially releasing itself, my immediate thoughts were "wasn't the last time that happened when Jessie destroyed Dustox's ball to release it?" as that was the only other time I remember that happening, but yeah it certainly didn't enjoy having to re-intergrate itself as a TR 'mon, it knew what it wanted after spending the day being mischievous among Go and Ash. I will admit I wasn't expecting it to be a TR HQ 'mon but that's what this series does so well, throwing curveballs. I can understand why people aren't happy with the writing direction, but at the same time you have to commend them for going in this direction at least once.

So in the end...
For some reason, I read this in Byakuya's voice.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Pun intended?
Believe or not, it wasn't intended but good catch.
I have a feeling that these two are not going to get along

Now, Sobble will have to deal being the middle son. I look forward how their interactions are going to play out.

And how much headache Cinderace will have to endure.
No the worst episodes are the Kangaskhan Kid and Pokevision.
I still think the reluctant Pikachu episode's been the worst.
My only complaint is that the TRio just lost a Pokémon from the hq and I bet there won't be any consequences.
I assume that's not the first time. Remember the Wailord from Dragonite's capture episode?
To be fair, Grookey broke the ball on its own. So it's more like taking other person's boyfriend/girlfriend rather than stealing things.
So... That's why it was sleeping with Goh? I'm calling the police then.
Here we go, less than 1 year ago people were claiming that Pikachu and Mimey's episode was the worst episode, and 1.5 years prior to that, Ash VS Hau part2, and like 5 years ago Ash vs Alain just by the outcome of the battle (and this was a great episode regardless of that), and before of that Ash vs Elesa, etc.
After the reluctant Pikachu episode, I realized I misjudge Ash vs Elesa.

But Pikachu and Mimey's episode was still bad
Not this excuse again... Kids aren't stupid.

Seriously this excuse shouldn't be given for anything. Just because it's aimed for kids doesn't mean they get a free pass on having such poor storytelling.
Never said:

- Kids are stupid
- Don't deserve a good story
- Don't deserve well-written/likeable characters
- Being for kids excuses bad writting.

My whole point back there was trying to see the things from a writer's/staff's perspective. And we like it or not, some writers/staff view kids show as kid shows thus not worthy of more effort or more elaborate storylines. They wanted to deal with the idea of a gacha pokémon being liberated and getting a proper trainer in a way the lowest common denominator (in their view) would understand with no issues. And that's just what they did.

Does it suck? Yes, it does. But it's what they do. And considering the anime is still profitable... Well, we can't say it's oh-so-wrong, right?

And that's why people still throw this excuse. Because it just happens to be one some productions uses for not putting more effort.
Is that what the writers try to teach to kids?
No.

It teaches that abusing a dog is bad and we can't allow a dog owner to mistreat or abuse it regardless of ownership status.

It's about seeing evil and don't let it be and do something about it.

TR may be likeable villains at times but when it's necessary they'll be portrayed as bad guys/bullies.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
TR may be likeable villains at times but when it's necessary they'll be portrayed as bad guys/bullies.
True. They have had moments in the series where they were no different from other Rocket members like Biff Botch Butch & Cassidy. The Kalos Power Plant episode from XY is a good example since that was basically a watered down version Pikachu Revolts (with only Electric types being affected & Clemont getting the focus, but still).

They’re still sympathetic & relatable villains, but the writers aren’t opposed to portray them as classic bad guys if they feel the plot needs it.

Personally, I thought it was a decent episode with a nice twist but I can understand some of the points & complaints people are saying because of how the episode felt too rushed to give Grookey & Goh proper bonding, the deus ex machina of Grookey making it to the lab & falling asleep on Goh’s arm, & Grookey breaking its pokéball leaving a sour taste in some people’s mouths due to worldbuilding reasons. But at the end of the day, the writers seem to be focused on making a fun series with simple morals kids can understand above anything else, no matter how much we have a problem with it

Last edited:

mystreon

the elder eevee
You mean like how Dragonite, Gengar and Dracovish are basically just taking up space in Ash’s roster considering that neither Gengar or Dragonite have even gotten use since the Darkest Day arc around 15 episodes ago and Dracovish hasn’t even been seen since it was caught? I fail to see how Grookey would be a wasted slot when the writers seem perfectly fine with filling Ash’s roster with fluff just to say it’s full. At this point, they might as well have spaced out his captures to at least allow more of a variety or gone with allowing him more than 6 Pokémon since Sakurai Park makes it easy to rotate as needed.
Well ash still may get more thna 6 mons, we dont know yet, it would make sense.

dman_dustin

.......Like yea, TR was in the wrong, Goh was right to take grookey from them considering grookey also wanted that. Them being OOC is many of ours entire problem, yes they are misinterpreted because gatcha mons are still in THEIR care and they have shown to care for it in the past, go rewatch ep3 people. And some people just don't get TR as characters at all when they claim bs like the only reason TR showed concern for those mons in ep3 is coz they are Giovanni's tools and they are afraid to get them hurt instead of genuinely caring for Pokémon they are using and battling with.
I'm done too because it's going in a circle at this point, let's just agree to disagree ig. TR were horribly OOC imo, misrepresented and this episode just sucks. Atleast next week looks like a banger

Oh so the last 20 years Jessie James and Meowty don't try to steal other people's Pokemon.

How in the hell were they mischaracterized here.

They even explicitly stated in the episode, they were more worried about how HQ would handle Grookey being gone which explains their "worry" about the "property" of Tyranitar/Gyarados.

Its not their Pokemon technically, they never bonded with it, and they do not care about Pokemon they don't bond with.

The past 20 years where they steal other people's Pokemon being a staple for this anime should've been your first clue.

They literally sucked Gengar up in a ghost vacuum even though Gengar told them to leave it alone.

I have no idea how small bits of the past where they've been sympathetic to random Pokemon somehow overrides their majority villain attitude.

Even if you want to argue some kind of misguided liberation attitude, they still rarely ever care about a Pokemon's feelings except how it would benefit them with major exception to THEIR Pokemon which Grookey was not. And even if you want to argue "Gatcha Pokemon" are theirs, they acted like Grookey was some holy rare prize and had to get the hell out of there before the brats "liberated" clearly not trusting the brats would've let them keep it.

The only random Pokemon they seemed to care about its feelings was Ditto, and only did so, so it could ge an actor/actress and on top of that they bonded with it.

They did no such thing with Grookey. So why anyone is expecting a 1:1 treatment of Pokemon by villains who steal people's Pokemon, I am unsure.

RafaSceptile

True. They have had moments in the series where they were no different from other Rocket members like Biff Botch Butch & Cassidy. The Kalos Power Plant episode from XY is a good example since that was basically a watered down version Pikachu Revolts (with only Electric types being affected & Clemont getting the focus, but still).

They’re still sympathetic & relatable villains, but the writers aren’t opposed to portray them as classic bad guys if they feel the plot needs it.

Personally, I thought it was a decent episode with a nice twist but I can understand some of the points & complaints people are saying because of how the episode felt too rushed to give Grookey & Goh proper bonding, the deus ex machina of Grookey making it to the lab & falling asleep on Goh’s arm, & Grookey breaking its pokéball leaving a sour taste in some people’s mouths due to worldbuilding reasons. But at the end of the day, the writers seem to be focused on making a fun series with simple morals kids can understand above anything else, no matter how much we have a problem with it
I think is mainly a problem with the bonding between Goh and Grookey since something similar happened with Goh and Sobble, you can argue also than a lot of DEM happened with no-Goh captures in previous series.

How in the hell were they mischaracterized here.
Personally I don't care whether the Trio were mischaracterized or not. But if they want to go with this route, they should have shown that Grookey is treated worse than Chimchar treated by Paul. They don't even put Grookey on cage, instead they let it roam free in their base.

Even after receiving such harsh treatment, Chimchar still loyal and never try to break its pokeball. But Grookey? Just because it play with Goh for a day???

If they didn't want to be with their trainers, they have a right to protest. Pokemon usually don't mind, but that doesn't mean all Pokemon feel the same way. Suicune froze its PokeBall and escaped from Goh. In fact, Go recognized Suicune didn't want to be captured and tried to release it.
Only when the plot calls for it, pokemon are usually animals without personality

RafaSceptile

Personally I don't care whether the Trio were mischaracterized or not. But if they want to go with this route, they should have shown that Grookey is treated worse than Chimchar treated by Paul. They don't even put Grookey on cage, instead they let it roam free in their base.

Even after receiving such harsh treatment, Chimchar still loyal and never try to break its pokeball. But Grookey? Just because it play with Goh for a day???
Chimchar was loyal to its trainer, TRio weren't Grookey's trainer, heck, probably Grookey never saw its trainer after it was caught.

Poke Master 7

Boulder Trainer
Well ash still may get more thna 6 mons, we dont know yet, it would make sense.
It most certainly makes sense between the centralized location of Sakuragi Park and the world tour angle but these writers just aren’t making me hopeful.

I'm not sure what your point is here. They can be free of personality, sure. But if the writers wanted them to be against capture, they'd make it clear.
I'm not trying to debate, I'm just making that clarification, pokemon are usually just animals with no personality and a punching bag

Well guys all Goh haters have hope, he has possibly only 2 years left, when he leaves people won't miss him and most will hate him, And I'll be happy if he has the same treatment as Tracey

If he stays, we can only cry in a corner like babies who get angry for a children's anime

Blue Saturday

Violet Prince❤️
•How is this discussion still going when they admit they saw Sarunori as lost wages and a tongue-lashing and then admitted it was being sent to a potentially abuse and toxic place to be taught to be villainous and evil. When they thought it was rare they were planning to steal it and Pikachufrom Gou first. TR have always done evil nonsense. They literally sent Lillie flying off a building in S&M in her first focus episode over a baby Rokon.

•Those Gatcha Pokémon are most likely legally caught wild Pokémon or stolen being used used by the literal Pokémon yakuza/mafia for evil purposes. This Pokémon is 100% better off in the hands of Gou. We literally saw Matori and her goons in action and you don’t think she’s successfully pulled off missions like these? Pokémon like this are probably “re-educated” for Gatcha usage.

Team Rocket are not OOC here I feel. It’s fully within their characterization to do malicious things IMO. Even in Kanto they successfully managed to gain control of a horde of Gardie and sicced then on Satoshi and Junsa. They sent a girl flying overboard after having Gatcha!Tunbear attack a ship in the latest series, PM/Journeys. They’ve tried to kill people an array of times. They did not have good and loving intentions here and that’s okay. I understand TR are villains at the end of the day.

RafaSceptile

•How is this discussion still going when they admit they saw Sarunori as lost wages and a tongue-lashing and then admitted it was being sent to a potentially abuse and toxic place to be taught to be villainous and evil. When they thought it was rare they were planning to steal it and Pikachufrom Gou first. TR have always done evil nonsense. They literally sent Lillie flying off a building in S&M in her first focus episode over a baby Rokon.

•Those Gatcha Pokémon are most likely legally caught wild Pokémon or stolen being used used by the literal Pokémon yakuza/mafia for evil purposes. This Pokémon is 100% better off in the hands of Gou. We literally saw Matori and her goons in action and you don’t think she’s successfully pulled off missions like these? Pokémon like this are probably “re-educated” for Gatcha usage.

Team Rocket are not OOC here I feel. It’s fully within their characterization to do malicious things IMO. Even in Kanto they successfully managed to gain control of a horde of Gardie and sicced then on Satoshi and Junsa. They sent a girl flying overboard after having Gatcha!Tunbear attack a ship in the latest series, PM/Journeys. They’ve tried to kill people an array of times. They did not have good and loving intentions here and that’s okay. I understand TR are villains at the end of the day.
I think OS Kanto episodes are not the best examples because they are extremely old and the writing is not consistence over then 24 years. However I totally agree about the fact that TRio weren't OOC during this episode, and I don't understand how people still can defend them in this particular episode.

Poke Master 7

Boulder Trainer
I'm not sure what your point is here. They can be free of personality, sure. But if the writers wanted them to be against capture, they'd make it clear.
I believe the point they’re making is that Grookey only acted that way because the plot demanded that it act that way. Bringing in the prospect of ‘X Pokémon didn’t want to be in that situation’ is essentially being thrown around to shield lazy writing that only cared about getting to the goal rather than how it was achieved. In this case, it led to raising numerous questions of ‘why?’ without ever actually giving any answers.