• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Lost Grookey! Who is its Trainer!? (1148)

UglyToast

Man, the salt in this thread has been giving me life lately. I didn’t think it could get any worse after the reaction to the Kalos League final but I think this fanbase has hit a new low.

If you all think Goh was wrong this episode, you are mistaken. Pokemon are living, breathing creatures; they are capable of making decisions for themselves and that is exactly what happened. Grookey liked Goh, it decided it wanted to be his Pokemon and broke the PokeBall of its own volition. Not once did Goh force it into anything.

Everyone calling Goh a thief needs to get a grip. I mean, geez.
I've never called him a thief, what Goh did in both episode 53 and this episode is morally right, but writing is not that great

And that's my exact problem with Journeys, but whatever.

RafaSceptile

I've never called him a thief, what Goh did in both episode 53 and this episode is morally right, but writing is not that great

I think people should know who called Goh a thief and who didn't. Some complains are understandable but trying to change what happened in the episode just to make Goh the "evil" here? geez

Aryash Bajaj

Say I'm fat again!

Bu..But psychopath.

Please understand, I have to strawman every argument into Gou hate. I can't talk about poor writing and contrived plot. It doesn't let me sound cool when I can't say "salt" and "Psychopath" in every thread. Think about all the reaction score I can farm by saying all the fanbase sucks and blah blah. Isn't that tempting ? Think about how cool I sound when I say "Popcorn" ?

Real talk, I never said Gou was wrong in this episode. My entire problem lies with Ash and TRio. But hey, I just hate Goh, right ? I am salty that Goh got Grookey when I posted a long essay about why I don't want Ash to get Grookey... right ?

BGMaxie

This was a really good episode. I legit laughed my ass off at Goh's expressions during his nightmare and when he wakes up with Grookey on his arm. Also the way the episode was constructed was good too, didn't expect a Team Rocket Grookey to switch sides, that was a nice touch.

UglyToast

Bu..But psychopath.

Please understand, I have to strawman every argument into Gou hate. I can't talk about poor writing and contrived plot. It doesn't let me sound cool when I can't say "salt" and "Psychopath" in every thread. Think about all the reaction score I can farm by saying all the fanbase sucks and blah blah. Isn't that tempting ? Think about how cool I sound when I say "Popcorn" ?

Real talk, I never said Gou was wrong in this episode. My entire problem lies with Ash and TRio. But hey, I just hate Goh, right ? I am salty that Goh got Grookey when I posted a long essay about why I don't want Ash to get Grookey... right ?
Welp, I'm gonna study for my exam then wait for the next episode about Farfetch'd.

axelme

not since Ash way back in Indigo and johto has someone gotten all 3 starter pokemon. further proves my theory that go is being groomed as the new ash. the one to have the goal while ash takes a permanent back seat and falls into a brock role

i really believe the next series will follow go as he takes the gym challenge . at some point during this thats what he'll decide he wants to do. ash will go with him becase he wont b able to leave but he wont do anything. he'll have some vague goal like brock had

this girl, who's name i forget will join them as the new misty. the one with the yamper nd, like ash wont actually have a goal

mystreon

the elder eevee
not since Ash way back in Indigo and johto has someone gotten all 3 starter pokemon. further proves my theory that go is being groomed as the new ash. the one to have the goal while ash takes a permanent back seat and falls into a brock role

i really believe the next series will follow go as he takes the gym challenge . at some point during this thats what he'll decide he wants to do. ash will go with him becase he wont b able to leave but he wont do anything. he'll have some vague goal like brock had

this girl, who's name i forget will join them as the new misty. the one with the yamper nd, like ash wont actually have a goal
A brock role? so he asks every woman to date him and becomes a pokemon breeder.

axelme

A brock role? so he asks every woman to date him and becomes a pokemon breeder.
lol. you know what i mean. he'll take that older role. the one providing advice for and guidance for go while working to some vague goal of his own

Watershuriken97

I think people should know who called Goh a thief and who didn't. Some complains are understandable but trying to change what happened in the episode just to make Goh the "evil" here? geez
Yeah, I dont even get where some people come from? I feel like we all know jessie and especially james do treat their pokemon well...but grookey wasnt caught by them, it also never saw them before it found goh? To grookey it was like escaping prison, finding safety, and then being taken back to that same prison, it doesn't matter that the new guards are nice, you are back into that prison (due to those guards cuz jessie and james put it in that pokeball forcefully) and away from safety.... of course grookey wasn't going to give them a chance?

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Ash got all the Unova starters.
Kanto's and Johto's too.

And he was only a Piplup and a Popplio away from getting Sinnoh's and Alola's too.

That's why I'm completly fine with someone else getting all 3. It's refreshing really.

santiagus

I watched Pokemon anime for 20 freaking years
@Zweilous

That is my theory about the gatcha. And I think it makes sense watching how Team Rocket only has half episodes now, but it's just what I believe I have no proof of course.

Also maybe I will post all the issues Team Rocket had since the DP years on another thread .One of those is having only one Pokemon per region with one only one or two moves (Inkay, Woobat, Marearnie).

But is more than just that. Look how unoriginal they are in this series. They only use the gatcha and nets. They used the Pikachu Bus in an episode and that's all , no mechas to counterattack Pikachu no strategies, no amazing plans , just brute force . In the DP series Seviper, Yanmega,Cacnea, Dustox and Carnivine always were the last resort, cause they knew in battle they could not win but they were so desesperated that they tried

If you want to show Pokemon show them in the wilderness or make them be the villains of the weeks as they did in Pokemon BW. And I have to say that Team Rocket is not even the villain of the week is the villain of the month cause they appear so less. And when they do they suck.

In SM we got quality over quantity and we gladly accepted it.

In Journeys we have neither quantity neither quality.

Without episodes like the Dustox one, or the Inkay episode I would not be a fan of Team Rocket. And this hurts, hurts a freaking lot.

Look how they masscared my boys.

Zweilous

Go-ing for Gold
Also maybe I will post all the issues Team Rocket had since the DP years on another thread .One of those is having only one Pokemon per region with one only one or two moves (Inkay, Woobat, Marearnie).
Do it. I've had a problem with this too, for a while. And they haven't had many evolutions, either. Before Pumpkaboo, they had Yanma's evolution-in-its-first episode, 335 episodes prior. James hasn't had an evolution since, what, his second Victreebel in Johto?

But is more than just that. Look how unoriginal they are in this series. They only use the gatcha and nets. They used the Pikachu Bus in an episode and that's all , no mechas to counterattack Pikachu no strategies, no amazing plans , just brute force . In the DP series Seviper, Yanmega,Cacnea, Dustox and Carnivine always were the last resort, cause they knew in battle they could not win but they were so desesperated that they tried
They've been a bit stagnant, but that happens every saga. And there's been quite a few schemes that stood out from nets and brute force. The food contest had them pull some surprisingly varied ideas to cheat. They tried to scam people with Ditto. They had the Pikachu dupe ready to go, and they fired off that sticky goop to mess up Cinderace and Lucario. They disguised themselves as students to sneak into Chloe's school and steal Pokemon with a vacuum, and pulled a pit trap to stop Ash. The Inteleon episode had them pull off a kidnapping to lure Inteleon into a cave with look-out robots (to get movie footage), a cage to capture the trainer, and chalk powder to disable Inteleon's invisibility. In the same episode, they disguised themselves as actors and pretended they were new characters in order to try and kidnap the actress and Inteleon. James tried to sink a ship using Beartic in order to make things harder for the gang. Team Rocket were the ones who lead the assault on the Matori Matrix, and James picked a lock because brute force was a bad idea. They tried to reason with Gengar before sucking it up with a vacuum.

I will say, I personally don't think mechas are all that special though. They're just big opponents to defeat, and I feel like they got stale a long time ago. With the Gacha, I feel like there's more surprise and variety with them. I'd say some of its pulls were more memorable than most of the mechas for the last 10 or so years. And we got to see Pokemon in ways we wouldn't see them otherwise.

Evstike

Take me back to peak pokemon
This episode started off alright although as usual, the stars aligned for Goh yet again. Grookey was finally the first Pokemon on the main cast that entertained me. Unlike most other Journeys episodes, it actually followed a logical plot structure instead of jumping all over the place. Everything was fine until...

Team Rocket. So they took Grookey back to their base, and did nothing? It clearly didn't want to be with them yet they just ignored it. Then during the second encounter, Jessie's comments about reeducation were infuriating. Team Rocket are not heartless villains. Ash had the idea to knock the Pokeball out of Jessie's hand. What? I don't blame Goh for catching Grookey since the ball had already been broken, but stealing other people's Pokemon doesn't sound like something Ash would do. Meowth translated what Grookey was saying, so why couldn't he do that before when Grookey was at their base? TR didn't even do anything wrong to Grookey before it ran away.

In any other series, something like this would have happened:
If this was written like previous episodes, Meowth would’ve talked with Grookey and explained to Jessie and James that it wants to be with Go and not them, or they would’ve picked up on it by seeing how it’s acting. We would’ve gotten a genuine opportunity for JJM to interact with Grookey and then coming to the conclusion that it doesn’t want to be a Gacha Pokémon.
It doesn't matter if Grookey wasn't caught by them. Just watch how they cared for Ditto in JN019. How about Meowth in SM021? Litten wasn't even affiliated with them at all.

This episode just adds to the many problems of this series: Goh gets everything handed to him on a silver platter, something with near impossible odds happens, Ash acts OOC, Ash is Goh's personal cheerleader, TR are reduced to villains of the week. I always disliked the TRio. Even in SM I still wasn't a fan although they annoyed me slightly less. JN had had me constantly feeling bad for them. They have been dehumanized and are a constant annoyance. Every single one of their appearances have made me feel nothing but pity. I feel horrible for Team Rocket fans. This episode went from what could have been one of my favourite JN episodes to one of the worst.

Aside from that, I don't like the decision for Goh to get Grookey. He already has two starters who don't do much and he doesn't need a third. Grookey fits Ash's personality much better (the episode even compared them with the lines about food). Ash's Pokemon haven't had much screentime so a starter would probably change that. Why wouldn't they show off a current generation starter who is easier to animate than the rest of his "team"? Now that Riolu evolved and Farfetch'd will evolve very soon, Ash needs a new Pokemon that can develop and evolve. I was hoping we'd finally see a starter participate in trainer battles. Unfortunately, Goh got another good Pokemon that will probably be wasted potential unless something huge changes in the way he handles his Pokemon.