• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Lost Grookey! Who is its Trainer!? (1148)

Still can't believe enough people care enough about Goh or TR for this thread to merit 26 pages of discussion. You guys must really love talking about the ethical ramifications of Pokemon.

RafaSceptile

Why does this thread have 26 pages?
Because apparently Ash and Goh were thieves and TRio were the good boys during the last 24 years.
Still can't believe enough people care enough about Goh or TR for this thread to merit 26 pages of discussion. You guys must really love talking about the ethical ramifications of Pokemon.
Don't forget the 23 pages on the Suicune episode thread too!

RafaSceptile

You’re either a Go shill or Go hater on Serebii fourms apparently. How this character causes this much controversy & back and forth nearly every week is astounding to me
Ironically Goh has one of the best dynamic interactions with Ash between all of his companions. He is hated mainly because his goal is being bad handled and because apparently he is overshadowing Ash, which I don't see a problem since he is being the main character during my entire life and he did it plenty of times during other characters focused episodes.

KukuiFanatic501

In fairness, the overshadowing Ash receives in this series is a lot more against Ash than it has been for other characters in the previous seasons, especially during Dawn and May's time in the anime for being the first 2 dual protags prior to Goh. And while Ash has taken focus away from other said characters, it was not to the extent of making them essentially background props like Ash is now.

Taking focus away from Ash is never the issue, but it does become one when it crosses a line. Ash is still the main MC, or rather he's supposed to be, so he should be getting an equal amount of focus, which hasn't been the case here with Journeys.

UglyToast

what is your favorite mythical?
Darkrai, because of the M10 and it's theme gives me chills. (I hate the fact that they nerfed Darkrai's signature move because of a dog with a brush)
aside from that, I want to see a good Darkrai outside of M10 (Pokepark 2 might be the closest thing we can get for that but still I want to see a good Darkrai rather than the one in Sleepless in pre-battle)

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
I don’t think that’s the point.

All trainers who captured pokemon by force have always ignored the sentience of said pokemon to make them their property. In a series where the basic premise is to weaken wild creatures so they can be captured for combat sport, the ‘freedom’ of the pokemon never meant much, as a choice was for the most part was never an option. It’s why all wild pokemon are free game.

But for some reason this grookey had it’s own choice, which makes saying that what happens in the ep doesn’t count as the same thing as what TR does feel somewhat disingenuous, because the choices of captured pokemon never mattered unless the trainers acknowledge them.
I feel like this needs some addressing, namely that the choice of pokemon has always mattered, it's just not brought up much because one of the central rules of the pokemon world is that pokemon "want" to be captured and it'd be repetitive to note this every time. Usually this want is due to wanting a trainer to help them become stronger. For the pokemon Goh captures though it's essentially being moved from one nice habitat to another, nicer one where the pokemon get food brought to them. They could leave at any time but they have no desire to since they have no reason to return to the wild.

This was one of the central morals of the 5th gen games, with the professor near the end noting that if pokemon didn't want to belong to trainers then many of them would simply leave (it's repeatedly shown pokemon can get out of their poke balls at will, they normally stay in because its comfortable). There is no mind control aspect to poke balls, pokemon are just predisposed to obeying trainers (though some demand that the trainer earn their respect in various ways).

The anime explored this a bit with how Ash's Snivy had apparently left multiple trainers due to them not being up to her standards. Said trainers had no ownership of her as soon as she decided to leave them.

The mere fact that pokemon go after people in the games in tall grass is noted in the 4th generation to be due to them seeking to "help" people by giving them the opportunity to capture them.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
You’re either a Go shill or Go hater on Serebii fourms apparently. How this character causes this much controversy & back and forth nearly every week is astounding to me
Goh is in the select group that also houses BW Ash, Iris and Serena.

Really happy to see my boy being part of the ELITE.

The anime explored this a bit with how Ash's Snivy had apparently left multiple trainers due to them not being up to her standards. Said trainers had no ownership of her as soon as she decided to leave them.
And shown again with Ash's Froakie who's done the same thing until it settled with Ash

UglyToast

It is also my favorite mythical, in fact, it is my favorite Pokémon

Not only because of M10, but also because of Tobias Darkrai, was a kid back then and I quite enjoyed that battle, because I felt that it was me who was destroying Ash XD
Great, but still I want to see a good Darkrai for the first time in the anime, Darkrai in XY was just there to get peoples to watch the episode rather than an actual character and did kinda dirty to it, I hope they make a good Darkrai episode in Journeys If they will showcase every Pokemon.