• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The main character's Pokemon development

red2000

Liger Zero!!!
We could get some really good development if we had ourselves a good ol' fashioned In team Rivalry, the best bets are Monferno and Buizel, Like Mythic Mist said, Buizel could get jealous of Chimchar's evolution and Increase in Power, and Monferno could be a cocky Jerk to boot, I would be cool to see these 2 fight with Mach Punch and Aqua Jet constantly Hitting each other, But it would be alot better if they didnt become friends they just stayed at each others throats up til Buizel evolves to take it on then we have the Ultimate Showdown between Monferno and Floatzel and Ash being caught in the middle

Dax

Legend
If there's going to be a rivalry then they should revive the Croagunk vs. Buizel one. I have no idea why it lasted so short or why they dropped it. I think it had potential especially because both pokemon have dynamic personalities.

red2000

Liger Zero!!!
If there's going to be a rivalry then they should revive the Croagunk vs. Buizel one. I have no idea why it lasted so short or why they dropped it. I think it had potential especially because both pokemon have dynamic personalities.

Well if they stay consistant in the Team Galactic thing Croagunk will have a rival in Staurn's Toxicroak

firepokemontrainer

I'd like to add my insights for Just Ash's Pokemon. I'll do the the others later.

Pikachu-It's first Gym battle got it beat by an Onix. In the rematch, Pikachu smokes the Onix but is defeated by Rampardos. After that, Pikachu sits on the sidelines for the next 2 Gym Battles. I see Ash using Pikachu in Pastoria since it would be the best for the match. I possibly see Pikachu in the 5th Gym and then it sits out until the Final Gym, where it could possibly learn Charge Beam.

Staravia-So far, the bird has proved to be a great battler. It managed to defeat two of Maylene's Pokemon and has learned at least two attacks since Ash caught it as Starly. As far as future Gym battles go, I see it maybe in the 5th gym, but otherwise it probably won't be in another gym battle unless the Ice Gym is 4 on 4 with Medicham participating. After that, the next BIG battle I see after the Gyms will be in the league. Move wise, I see Staravia learning Roost, to heal itself when it uses Brave Bird.

Turtwig-We've seen Turtwig shine in two gyms so far, and it even learned a new attack. I think Turtwig has a good shot as one of Ash's Pokemon in the Pastoria Gym battle. I think it'll evolve but not for a long while. I also see some more moves coming it's way in the future, such as Leaf Storm and Crunch.

Chimchar-Chimchar is one of Ash's newest Pokemon, and hasn't had much chance to show off it's power. The one Pokemon in the 3rd Gym that Chimchar had a type advantage to defeated the chimp. I see Chimchar maybe evolving past the 11th movie when the gang finally gets to the Canalave Gym. After that, it'll have plenty of chances to shine and maybe it'll be evolving in the League battle facing either Torterra or Magmar/Magmortar. As for it's future moves, I think the only moves that it could learn are either Overheat or a fighting move.

Buizel-Since being traded to Ash, Buizel is now one of Ash's better battlers. I honestly think Buizel tied with Lucario simply because it was an even match. I see Buizel up against Floatzel, and possibly in the Hearthome Gym, then being a match in Snowpoint. After that, who knows? I can Buizel in the future learning Brine from the Gym, and Razor Wind down the road.

Gligar-So far we know that Gligar could actually be a strong Pokemon, just not that good of a Glider. I see it maybe learning Dig or U-turn before evolving, which I think could happen prior to Canalave.

thunderblade12

well sence she is going to be appearing soon:

may:

beauifly and skitty: left at home, revealed that norman is giving them special training and using skitty in his gym battles

bulbasaur: still at oaks lab, together with ashs bulbasaur they laid an egg, they supply oak with all of the bulbasaurs that he gives to new trainers. her bulbasaur is also training at oaks lab with ashs bulbasaur and all of the rest of ashs pokemon.

squirtle: before heading to sinnoh, may made a stop in kanto and left squirtle with misty. squirtle is training there and being used in mistys gym battles. she left it with misty because it lost in a battle against mistys water types and it wanted to become stronger like them

on hand:

blaziken: after evolving blaziken has become arrogant toward may, it is starting to love normal battling more than contest battling. this fault has caused may a ribbon the johto. may is training it to do better in contests and learn how to use its massive strength to her advantage in them. blaziken has become much stronger sence the time it battled sceptile.

munchlax: after encountering a snorlax in johto munchlax has decided not to evolve so that it can keep being effective in contests. munchlax also trys to overcome its gluttony and starve itself so that it wont gain weight like its evolution. may breaks it of this habit and says that she will make it such a good battler that its weight doesnt matter.

eevee: through out its journey in johto, eevee did not want to evolve because it though jolteon, vaporeon, flareon, umbreon and espeon where ugly. when may got to sinnoh she heard about the ice rock that evolves eevee into glaceon, her eevee is spoiled and picky and wants to become a glaceon, it runs away until may decides to go to snowpoint city before wallaces contest. she trains her eevee there until it evolves into glaceon and then leaves. eevee has become more spoiled and vain now that it is a glaceon it demands to be mays center of attention and most trained pokemon.

totodile: totodile has become munchlax rival. it is dimwitted and will eat any food that munchlax wont and even steal some of its food. it is very powerful but it only knows how to use physical attacks(ice fang, bite, aqua tail, slash) may its trying to teach it more complex special attacks to benefit its contest performances.

ledian: caught by may as a ledyba in johto. it has been trained well by may and become as strong as her beautifly was

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
I'd like to add my insights for Just Ash's Pokemon. I'll do the the others later.

And i'd like to comment on some of them as most are good, but others aren't.

Staravia-So far, the bird has proved to be a great battler.

Get pwned twice in a row by the same pokemon is not very good, and even though the bird does have strength, it's endurance lacks big time and it shows.

It managed to defeat two of Maylene's Pokemon and has learned at least two attacks since Ash caught it as Starly. As far as future Gym battles go, I see it maybe in the 5th gym, but otherwise it probably won't be in another gym battle unless the Ice Gym is 4 on 4 with Medicham participating.

Why do people assume it can't fight in that gym? Three of candice's pokemon are weak to him, and it will come to down to who can hit who first.

Turtwig- I think it'll evolve but not for a long while. I also see some more moves coming it's way in the future, such as Leaf Storm and Crunch.

Crunch maybe, but I doubt it will get Leaf Storm unless it evolves.

Chimchar-Chimchar is one of Ash's newest Pokemon, and hasn't had much chance to show off it's power.

Gee I wonder why.

The one Pokemon in the 3rd Gym that Chimchar had a type advantage to defeated the chimp. I see Chimchar maybe evolving past the 11th movie when the gang finally gets to the Canalave Gym.

If they wait that long, then they might as well not do it, I hope it goes right after the movie, cause even if it doesn't get in on the next two gyms it'll have something for compensation of having to sit on the side.

As for it's future moves, I think the only moves that it could learn are either Overheat or a fighting move.

I don't really think it needs anything else until it evolves, Overheat and Fire Blast are all that come to mind and neither one is really appealing since we've seen them so many times.

lol of course they could meatgame it with Thunderpunch but i doubt it will happen.

Buizel-Since being traded to Ash, Buizel is now one of Ash's better battlers.

Yes because using it ONE time so far is enough to gauge this on....

I honestly think Buizel tied with Lucario simply because it was an even match.

I really don't get why people see it as one of the greatest fights ever, true it was unique, but even so the only reason they tied was because of Buizel learning water pulse out of it's arse, and then his ability conviently got kicked in thanks to the rain.

If it hadn't been for those Buizel would've lost, heck the fact it barely tied against Lucario while having to use both it's ability and newly learned attack is rather pathetic, and it does need to be trained despite what people think about it.

Sure it likes to fight but what's the point if you always lose or tie?

I see Buizel up against Floatzel, and possibly in the Hearthome Gym, then being a match in Snowpoint. After that, who knows? I can Buizel in the future learning Brine from the Gym, and Razor Wind down the road.

After gym 6 Buizel's pretty much done, True it could possibly fight Candice but it would have to watch for her grass types, as for the last gym I doubt it.

Gligar-So far we know that Gligar could actually be a strong Pokemon, just not that good of a Glider. I see it maybe learning Dig or U-turn before evolving, which I think could happen prior to Canalave.

Just so you it's evolving before the upcoming movie.

As for it's future who knows, all i'm saying is it better learn Guillotine and bite someone's neck for thier bloo...um..Plasma^^ lol

Last edited:

An00bis

Wicked Witch
Sure it likes to fight but what's the point if you always lose or tie?

Trying.

I kind of thing back to Tyrogue's Pokedex entry when thinking of Buizel; a Pokemon that's always willing to take on bigger opponents even if it gets severely beaten. Even if Buizel doesn't turn out to be Ash's most powerful region Pokemon this time around (I'm doubting it myself) people will still remember Buizel for it's spirit. I guess you can say that Buizel just has that charisma if nothing else.

thunderblade12

pikachu: while i fail to see how pikachu can demolish a legendary like regice only to end up tieing with an elekid like 5 episodes later and then get its *** kicked completely by a raichu, pikachu has proven to be one of ashs strongest pokemon period. the only one that may be stronger is charizard, and its probably about tied with bulbasaur and squirtle. well..pikachu beat regice..maybe pauls elekid/sho's raichu were trained just as good/long as ashs pikachu and would be able to beat brandons regice too. pikachu gained some power in the last episode by battling raichu twice(and actually beating him the second time.) he will probably battle in crasher wakes, fantina and volkners gyms aswell as many league battles and battles, battles against gary/paul, hunter j and team galactic. it will probably get some training so that it can win at volkners gym and beat garys/pauls electivire. out of new attacks, it can learn feint, protect and charge beam
position: ashs powerhouse. strongest on-hand pokemon

staravia: its almost certain that it will completely evolve. it will probably surpass swellow in strenght when all is said and done. he will battle in fantinas and candice gym, league battles, rival battles, and villan battles. new attacks: roost
position: ashs strongest flying pokemon to date. surpassing pidgeot, noctowl and swellow

gligar: definatly evolving as we have already seen. as a gliscor it has the potential to become ashs strongest sinnoh pokemon(until chimchar fully evolves anyway) he will probably battle pauls gliscor and win, causing paul to release his. he will probably be the star battler in fantinas gym and the one to beat her mismagius. then it will likely get oaked and train at oaks lab. ash will use it in many league battles though. new attacks: u-turn, poison sting, sandstorm, guillotine, slash, cross poison, quick attack
position: one of ashs better reserves. he will be stronger than glalie, tauros, kingler and muk but will tie with heracross and be weaker than snorlax.

turtwig: he will probably evolve into grotle and remain in that form for a long time, then evolve again into torterra right before the series ends. he will battle in wakes, byrons, and volkners gyms, in the league, rival and villan battles. new attacks: earthquake, wood hammer.
position: ashs strongest grass type, stronger than bulbasaur, bayleef and sceptile.

buizel: i think this time all of ashs pokemon will completely evolve, so buizel will too. he will battle in the same things as all the rest of ashs pokemon aswell as wakes and byrons gym. new attacks: brine and razor wind
position: ashs strongest water type, beating kingler, corphish and squirtle.

chimchar: he will completely evolve and infernape will be around long enough to get additional extra training as a 3rd stage pokemon. he will battle the same things as ashs other 5 pokemon aswell as battling in byrons, candice and volkners gyms. new attacks: a ton of physical attacks(TON) like flare blitz and close combat and fire punch, might also learn focus blast.
position: he will be stronger than any fire type ash has on hand(torkoal, cyndaquil) his power wont reach that of charizards but it will closely rival it, training at oaks lab might close that small gap

riolu: it will definatly evolve if ash catches one, the writers like lucario pimping. his power will ofcourse be massively exaggerated and god-like. going by location of iron island, riolu/lucario will probably battle in byrons and candice gym and be the star of volkners gym he will also participate in the listed battle i put in my pikachu, gliscor , staravia and turtwig desriptions. new attacks: he will be very diverse attack-wise and probably have the same amount of attacks as pikachu, charizard and infernape(i think it will have a ton of attacks too) in the end.
position: ashs strongest reserve. beating even gliscor and snorlaxhe will become ashs 4th strongest pokemon, only after charizard, infernape, and pikachu, pushing torterra, gliscor, sceptile bulbasaur, squirtle and snorlax back

dman_dustin

I've always wanted Happiny to be *****y.

Isn't being Super Stong enough for Happiny?

I mean in the Dustox episode it made all the other pokemon look like weaklings because it had a gigantic boulder, while the other Pokemon held medium sized rocks they were big but not as big as the one Happiny had.

though I do think Happiny should be in a real match, that doesn't involve team rocket.

ShinyCharyZard

Too old for your rubbish..
Isn't being Super Stong enough for Happiny?

I mean in the Dustox episode it made all the other pokemon look like weaklings because it had a gigantic boulder, while the other Pokemon held medium sized rocks they were big but not as big as the one Happiny had.

though I do think Happiny should be in a real match, that doesn't involve team rocket.

maybe it will be in the restaurant tag battle....although my guess is that we'll see Sudowoodo/Croagunk :(...

Meganium

Pikachu- Of course its character development is not as important, we have only known the little guy since the first episode, but I'm sure there will a few fillers to highlight the little guy. As for gym battles, I see Pikachu being in almost all of them. Pastoria is a definite, Fatina's ghosts are almost assured, unless there's a big new capture and its not a three on three fight he'll at least fight someone like Bronzor, not so sure about Candice since there is grass issues, and I just have an electric showdown feeling for the last badge.

Staravia- If it does not fully evolve, I might just cry. It finally got recognition in Veilstone, but there really is not much for it late in the game. Really only Fatina's gym gives it an advantage, every where else its weak and Ash has Turtwig and Pika for Pastoria. I want it to be a little more emo sometimes, like after its rejection in the first gym, but I guess as a Staraptor I want a confident and strong bird.

Turtwig- Please no flamming me, but I hope this guy does not evolve past Grotle. I think Torterra would ruin its movement and make it very heavy and dull. I think right now he does not need any special moves to be taught, Energy Ball was a cool move to teach it. As for gyms Pastoria should be assured as well as the last battle in Sunnyshore. The other three gyms are a toss up and we probably won't see him fight Fatina or Byron, but a possible arrival with Candice and her Medicham for who knows what reason. So far there has been good focus on this guy, but his personality could develop more. It seems carefree and protective, so I'm hoping for a filler because its going to happen, that he corralls some pokes together or something.

Chimchar- My favorite of all Ash's Pokemon because I think it has such good character potential. Its shy exterior outside is always lifted in battle by Ash and provides a great Poke to watch. The focus on him makes it seem like he needs to or at least should evolve once. I would love to see an Infernape, but I think out of all his Pokemon Chimchar will earn its evolution. Even if it only gets to Monferno, that would be so critical. As for gyms and this guy, the end of the road of battles is what looks best for him. Byron and Candice are gimmes and if he is not in those fights, I may hurt someone. Fatina is another fight I'm hoping for, but if it evolved before then, I might actually change my mind. As for the Sunnyshore gym, he should get in just because of Buizel's and Staravia's weakness.

Buizel- I could care less if it evolved or not just because I think Floatzel isn't as major an evolution as the other Pokemon. I don't see Ash using something like Ice Fang in battle, which would be a good signature move for Floatzel, so I'm not too sure if evolution is necessary, but it of course would be great to see. Buizel already has a strong established personality and I think upping its rivalry with Croagunk would be good for the show. A showdown between the two would be exciting. For the gym situation, Buizel still has time to shine. The only gym I don't see him being useful for is of course Sunnyshore, but other than that it has potential and usefulness in every gym. I am hoping for another non-water based move to be learned, maybe some strong physical attack. I love Aqua Jet and Sonic Boom, but Water Gun and Water Pulse and I'm sure it'll pull out some other water move gets to be stale.

Gligar- I'm actually happy about this capture and this guy. I'm kind of sorry its going to evolve so quickly, at least the new movie poster says so. However, it can have a cool move pool and some great moves. I hope the writers sneak in something like dig or Aerial Ace so its types got a stab move. I do lament however that we may not see some of the Fang attacks due to some biting standards, but I'm hoping for a Fire Fang. As for development I hope that this guy improves its gliding, which probably will be when it evolves, and keeps its goofy, tongue hanging personality. I want him to be a goofball on the team especially since Gliscor is such a menacing looking Pokemon. As for gyms I can see Fantina's, Byrons, and Volkner's gyms as places for it to be used, hopefully highlighting Fantina's with its performance since I'm sure Chimchar is the star at Byron's.

I really think Chimchar needs the spotlight. It had the tag battle arc and a part in the Gym but nothing major. I really thought when he got it the rest of his pokemon would get shafted but that didn't happen. A part in the next Gym might help.

I also think Turtwig needs a bit more screentime. It had its fun in the first two Gyms and learning Energy Ball but it needs more.

Araleon

Chill
I really think Chimchar needs the spotlight. It had the tag battle arc and a part in the Gym but nothing major. I really thought when he got it the rest of his pokemon would get shafted but that didn't happen. A part in the next Gym might help.

I also think Turtwig needs a bit more screentime. It had its fun in the first two Gyms and learning Energy Ball but it needs more.

How on Earth was the Tag Battle Arc not important? Yeah, I too think that Chimchar needs more glory, but the tag battle arc was defenatley major. Now, next Gym Battle is water, I really don't think he will fight in the next gym... But the 5th, and 6th, and 7th for sure! He needs to be against, lik, Steelix or something when fighting Byron, and Paul be watching, and he evolve to show him he isn't weak. That he is an awesome fighter. Then of course become Infernape so he can kick Paul's a** in the league! :D

I think Buizel will evolve. He seems like the type of Pokemon who would desperately await evolution in the hopes of becoming more powerful. I think that he does need to start a rivalry with another Pokemon he feels threatened by. Maybe he gets jealous that Pikachu gets used by Ash more, and h starts a rivalry with Pikachu.

I want Turtwig to become Grotle, but I don't want/think he will become a Torterra. Torterra seems too slow. I think that he needs to be spiced up. MAybe he could, i don't know, pull a Snorlax?

I ams soooo happy that Gligar is evolving, but it seems too soon... Oh well. Maybe he will pull a Charizard. Or not... I hope not. He seems to be loyal to Ash, and is proof that Ash can raise a Pokemon from no attacks to his final form. He is proof of Ash's abilities as a trainer.

As for Staravia, I think he will evolve into Staraptor. I would love if he pulled a Charizard. A cncieted Staraptor. I've said it before, but what if he evolved to beat someone, but felt Ash was holding him back, and left him for Paul. They could have a whole mini saga(not unlike the tag battle arc) involving Staraptor, and Ash winning him back, and getting Staraptor to see his mistakes, and be one of Ash's biggest powerhouses of the season. I would LOVE for this to happen!!!

Who did I miss... Oh, right. Pikachu. I think they will give him a rivalry with Buizel, and show, again, that he is the uber-chu. He won't evolve. Ever. I really hope that the writers, don't give him the 8th gym. It screams Gliscor!

Araleon

~Bleeding2Death~

DarkTrainer
Staraptor?I hope...
I don't want it to be ditched like Pidgeot was.

thunderblade12

i already did ash and may sooo

dawn:

piplup: she will probably end up evolving into prinplup, become more stuck up and occasionally ignore dawns commands, when it evolves into empoleon it will probably become amazingly powerful and completely ignore dawn, it will battle its own way. eventually dawn will gain empoleons respect and they will be able to cooperate. empoleon will compete in contests and become even stronger. dawns best overall pokemon(combination of appeals and battle)

buneary: it will probably evolve sence it only requires happiness. lopunny will stay prissy and keep its crush on pikachu, but it will become flirty with other pokemon too and hug them. after evolving it will become swifter and more graceful and learn some physical attacks like fire punch and jump kick, it will become one of her best pokemon.

pachirisu: pachirisu will go through some intence training to make it stronger than most stage 3 pokemon. pachirisu will learn a few attacks and many combos for contests and become dawns second best pokemon(empoleon is the best.) it will need to learn how to settle down and focus on making perfect combo appeals and good looking and strong battle skills instread of blasting out random shots of discharge. pachirisu needs dicipline

ambipom: dawns best battle pokemon but it will still lack a little in the appeals. dawn will end up having to train ambipom extra hard to make its contest battling look less like ashs battling and break ambipoms habit of battling like hes in a gym. ambipom will begin stealing dawns hat

Misty Fanboi13

Over Analyst
I guess I'll do one for Brock, since everyone has been done to death:

Sudowoodo: Brock's regional ignored pokemon. Other such winners of this title include Zubat[Kanto], Geodude[Johto], and Forretress[Hoenn and BF]. It had some development turning from a crybaby to a powerful battler. I don't see much more develpoment in its future.

Croagunk: Croagunk is epic win. I'm not sure whether or not it will evolve, I personally could see it either way, with Toxicroak as Brock's big powerhouse, or staying as a comic relief Croagunk. Anyways this guy[or girl] seems to be able to use its ability anticiaption and sense Team Rocket. I hope they continue to show it being able to sense and foil Team Rocket, since abilities are rarely covered in the Anime. If it does evolve I'm thinking it will be somewhere around Canalve. I also hope they re-bring up its rivalry with Buizel.

Happiny: Whoever said big things come in small packages must have been thinking of Happiny. Its amazingly strong, yet still acts very cutesy. I think it will begin being used in battles more now that it has learned something besides pound, secret power. I think it has a chance at evolving, maybe even going all the way. Its difficult to tell when because all main characters pokemon who hatched out of eggs don't evolve in the region theyre hatched:
Misty's Togepi: Hatched in Kanto, evolved all much later in Hoenn
Ash's Phanpy: Hatched in Johto, evolved in Kanto
May's Eevee: Hatched in Kanto, either all ready evolved in Johto or probably will evolve in Sinnoh.
Misty's Azurill: Who knows where and when it will evolve or even if we will see it again?!
As you can see it will be pretty hard to see if and when Happiny will evolve.

unown?

ghost freak
i'm just not happy with staravia. it should have evolved a long time ago.