• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The main character's Pokemon development

Gravy

Contaminated KFC
The point of this thread, is discuss the pokémon themselves as characters, and to let loose some ideas on how you want to see them develop during the series. Are there certain routes you'd like to see them head down, or situations they could be placed in, in which their personallities could be expanded further than they already have been?

I'll get things rolling with something short and sweet;

Since we're coming up to the 4th gym, which of course features Buoysel's evolution as the expected 'star' of the gym match, I'd like to see them take that relationship somewhere. A lot of other pokémon in the past have shown some sort of contempt or uneasy attitude towards their evolutions, but I think it'd be cool if Buoysel were to idolize Flowsel instead, perhaps to the point where, even if the Flowsel turns out to be a complete jerk, Buoysel would still have some sort of bizarre, fan boy-esque respect towards it, perhaps to the point where it would even hinder Ash's battle against Wake.
It'd make a nice change from the norm, methinks, and I certainly don't think it'd be out of character for Buoysel to look up to another pokémon in awe. Just like how Ash is usually psyched to meet Elite trainers and such.

Araleon

Chill
The point of this thread, is discuss the pokémon themselves as characters, and to let loose some ideas on how you want to see them develop during the series. Are there certain routes you'd like to see them head down, or situations they could be placed in, in which their personallities could be expanded further than they already have been?

I'll get things rolling with something short and sweet;

Since we're coming up to the 4th gym, which of course features Buoysel's evolution as the expected 'star' of the gym match, I'd like to see them take that relationship somewhere. A lot of other pokémon in the past have shown some sort of contempt or uneasy attitude towards their evolutions, but I think it'd be cool if Buoysel were to idolize Flowsel instead, perhaps to the point where, even if the Flowsel turns out to be a complete jerk, Buoysel would still have some sort of bizarre, fan boy-esque respect towards it, perhaps to the point where it would even hinder Ash's battle against Wake.
It'd make a nice change from the norm, methinks, and I certainly don't think it'd be out of character for Buoysel to look up to another pokémon in awe. Just like how Ash is usually psyched to meet Elite trainers and such.

I totally agree with that! I hate how people think Buizel won't want to evolve because of his power, but that is why i think he'll evolve. I think he'd want to evolve to gain in power.

Korobooshi Kojiro

Funnnngaaaaa
* I dunno, at first I was thinking Buizel would be the one to take down Floatzel (given it's nature) but the fact it got the "starring role" in Gym 3 seems to me that possibly Staravia, Turtwig (perhaps it will becomes a Grotle by then), or even Gligar or Chimchar might do it. Or hell, Pikachu might get his Sinnoh Gym Win right here instead of in Gym 8 like most expect him too.

* Gligar needs to prove itself...I mean, love it because it's goofy but I really hope that it's battling skills become unique for its species and it overcomes it's handicap (I was thinking perhaps it can use some creative sand attacks to boost itself off the ground, or become a land-based fighter). As for its evolution into Gliscor, I'm thinking it wants to prove itself. It's little stint in it's capture episode when it flew at Paul after he captured Gliscor really showed the little guy has alot of guts. As for him getting Oaked, honestly I'd be happy if these 6 stay with Ash throughout Sinnoh and evolve/develop. As for it's Gym Career, I can imagine it winning Gym 5 since most people seem to forget that Gym will likely have an aerial finale against Drifloon (likewise, Staravia or Staraptor as it might be could be the contender their). Or perhaps using the likely wave-filled Gym 4 to glide off ocean currents?

* Chimchar, who I honestly think is Ash's most neglected atm, needs to defeat one of Paul's Pokemon to prove himself. Who will that be? Most people think we'll have a climactic Infernape vs. Torterra battle, but I'm wondering if he'll defeat his "replacement" of Magmar (who likewise I expect will be a Magmortar soon). I also think he's the most likely Pokemon to evolve after Gligar, right alongside Staravia. He also needs a new move, since Ash's other 3 (not counting Gligar or Pikachu) all have recently.

red2000

Liger Zero!!!
I'll admitt Buizel with a Fanboy persona is kinda funny, But I'd like to really see Chimchar nad Ambipom's development if anything, I mean we Kinda know all the other Pokemons Personalities, But Chimchar's hast been that great since the Tag Battle arc, and Ambipom has seemed to gotten kinda stale after the Trade

As far as how I want to see them Develop I would like to see Ambipom get mad at Dawn for Holding it back, Meowth could interpret that Ambipom is mad at Dawn for being a Novice and that she needs to excel to the Next level or Ambipom is leaving her team

Then Chimchar could see Paul's Magmar in battle, and get to thinking that it needs to train harder to get better, and with it's constant training It starts to become more ditatched from the rest of the Pokemon with it's Serious Nature, and starts to act more and more like Paul in the End anyway

Rave

Banned
Ash's Chimchar should have some room for development.

Though, I really don't have any speculations at the moment.

Korobooshi Kojiro

Funnnngaaaaa
Dawn's Pokemon have been kinda stale lately...I mean, Ambipom hasn't done much, nor has...well, any of them. Except lose.

I kinda think giving her a Swinub is too early...because the writers really seem to be murking around with them at this point, but we have alot of room to amend that.

Oh, and Paul's Electabuzz. Shockingly (oh, Kojiro you fiend!) Electabuzz has suddenly gone from a usual Rival Pokemon to a real character of his own. The Galactic Battle showed this, and I really hope Paul's other Pokemon perhaps can show some form of personality (since his team, species wise, is pretty damn awesome). Gliscor being somewhat of a loose cannon for instance.

EDIT: SERIOUS DISCUSSION IN HERE! I guess my huge english journal on The Millstone has put me in one of those Unown Lord style moods where I sound like a total prick analyzing children TV...

Dax

Legend
I want to forget about Ash and talk about Buneary. Remember her? The one that's hairy and that can unleash ice from her mouth?

I'm highly awaiting the day I see some kind of development on her or strength from that matter. I thought she was pretty strong considering her performance in the gym battle. I guess I was wrong since Gligar is arguably the weakest of all of the pokemon in the whole team right now was able to take her Ice Beam and not be affected by it.

The only thing I want to see in her character is development and to finally see her in a contest. Pokemon that were shafted like Staravia have been getting stronger and Buneary seems to be the only one hanging around doing nothing. I don't care what trick they do, just give her *something*.

Korobooshi Kojiro

Funnnngaaaaa
It's weird sucky episodes like the Chingling episodes only reedeeming factor is the fact we seem to get Neglected Pokemon Week (Buneary! Gligar! Chimchar! Happiny! Dustox!)

Gravy

Contaminated KFC
Until you're willing to dicuss the philosophical issues behind Gligar licking it's own face or how it's inability to glide properly reflects societies' ills as it crashes down due to it's own weight, I wouldn't be quick to call you a prick Koji...uhh, but anyway.

I rather like the idea of Paul's Gliscor being a loose cannon, as you put it. It's not exactly like he caught it fair and square, using two pokémon at once to take it down, and effectively taking it away from a pretty sweet gig as an authority figure. If anything, it certainly has the basis to act that way, and it'd be nice to see at least one of his pokémon heavily objecting to his training methods.
They could probably manage to rope bith Gligar and Chimchar into that scenario too, Chimchar with it's experience under Paul's wing, and Gligar feeling sympathetic towards it's old leader.

Dax

Legend
It's very weird to include Chimchar in the neglected group but there's nothing else to do. It's being neglected and I never thought it was going to be like that. I really thought it was going to be another screentime stealer.

That's something that I'm also hoping. Some character in Chimchar because so far I'm not convinced that capture was smart or needed.

Highor

I think there must be a Jesse's Sviper vs Zangooze episode. Not a Chimchar vs Zangooze as the previous episode. That could be a really good episode, even showing Jesse's Seviper confronting a Zangooze leader, and learning a really strong move to defeat it.

I really think that rivalry could be used more in animé. I think that is not that used in games, since you can even breed Zangooze and Seviper to get a egg. o_O(I'm also thinkking of opening a topic for this discussion in another DG)

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
I think there must be a Jesse's Sviper vs Zangooze episode. Not a Chimchar vs Zangooze as the previous episode. That could be a really good episode, even showing Jesse's Seviper confronting a Zangooze leader, and learning a really strong move to defeat it.

We already had Seviper Vs. Zangoose back in Hoenn.

Korobooshi Kojiro

Funnnngaaaaa
We've already had a Zangoose and Seviper episode though...

Speaking of TR, really want Carnivine to get an episode. Because it's debut was pretty tacked on, what with Paul, Elekid, Starly, Brock, and all them.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
We've already had a Zangoose and Seviper episode though...

Speaking of TR, really want Carnivine to get an episode. Because it's debut was pretty tacked on, what with Paul, Elekid, Starly, Brock, and all them.

Did Carnivine even get to star in an episode at all? I don't think so...

Dax

Legend
Carnivine didn't get anything. 1 minute of capture and the usual battles it has with TR.

It's very sad considering Mime Jr. actually had episodes for itself.

cassius335

Aura Trainer

If a minor miracle happened and Ash actually showed interest in a girl, I'd love it if Pikachu started getting jealous because it was in danger of no longer being the most important thing in Ash's heart.

I wouldn't mind character development on Chimchar and Bunaery, I'm hoping they get some later on in the future. Maybe the writers are waiting a bit for some thing exciting, I don't know. I'd also like them to keep developing Buziel, that guy's one of my fav.

ChaosMage

Izit cuz I is black?
I would quite like to see more Pikachu/Buneary stuff, especially if she evolves and Pikachu suddenly becomes interested, only to be shot down by Lopunny. I want Piplup to have a major failure at some point, against Zoey or someone similar- the thing's getting far too muc glory. I also want more out of Ambipom. Ideally, I would like it if she was a spectator at Ash's next gym and starts to yearn for the old days, especially as she's not getting much attention nowadays and didn't fare too well in the last contest or the gym attempt.
I like the idea of Buizel idolising Floatsel- he seemed to show a fair bit of respect towards the likes of Lucario. Although I don't want Buizel soaking up all of Turtwig's attention in that arc. As for Turtwig, he needs to have some interaction with Paul's Torterra.
Chimchar's next stage in his development may come in the form of interaction with May's Blaziken, who shares a few similarities with the little chimp. I can see Chimchar being used in the tag battle when May shows up. Looks like he's out and about in th next episode as well, actually.
Now, the pokemon I'm most interested in is Paul's Electabuzz. I think the next big plot twist could be Electabuzz choosing to leave Paul's team and stay with Reiji, which would be as big of a development as you can get. I really want it to happen, as the opening is currently showing seven pokemon and his team's a bit crowded.

Dax

Legend
At some point I wish to see some interaction between Honchkrow and Staravia/Staraptor. A rivalry or whatever. I just want to see those two interact together. Aerial battles are so free that I really want to see some epic battle that will intensify Paul and Ash's rivalry.

It will give development for both birds.