• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The March of the Exeggutor Squad! (043)

gentwoer

I wonder what the decision was to allow Ash's Charmander to evolve. Did it evolve due to Charizard's popularity or did Charizard become the break out mon because it was the only fully evolved starter from Ash's team? Basically did the anime make Charizard popular or did Charizard's popularity make it so the anime felt force to feature it? Would Blastoise have been the Wolverine of Pokemon if Squirtle had evolved instead and Charmander remained...Charmander?

I do think Bulbasaur and Squirtle should have been allowed to evolve too. At least to their mid-evolutions

Leonhart

Imagineer
I wonder what the decision was to allow Ash's Charmander to evolve. Did it evolve due to Charizard's popularity or did Charizard become the break out mon because it was the only fully evolved starter from Ash's team? Basically did the anime make Charizard popular or did Charizard's popularity make it so the anime felt force to feature it? Would Blastoise have been the Wolverine of Pokemon if Squirtle had evolved instead and Charmander remained...Charmander?

I do think Bulbasaur and Squirtle should have been allowed to evolve too. At least to their mid-evolutions

I can only assume that Hitokage's evolution here was a result of Lizardon's popularity, which would explain why Lizard quickly evolved after this and didn't stay in its middle stage for too long.

Melvin's magic show was dumb and Misty was at fault for motivating him, which caused Exeggcute to hypnotise Ash. I liked when Charmander evolved though. Such a cool moment.

gentwoer

The streak of filler episodes con- oh wait something eventful happens! In this case Ash's Charmander gets to evolve making it the first of Ash's Pokemon to do so since Caterpie>Metapod>Butterfree

Funny how we have Alakazam a Pokemon whose name is based on a magician's phrase and Japanese name is based on the real world magician Houdini and the anime goes with a egg pokemon for a magician's assistant? Then again the idea of a loser like Melvin having the most powerful non-Mewtwo gen 1 Pokemon would be ludicrous.

Speaking of Melvin. What a creepy effin loser. He hypnotizes a 10-year old boy and makes him his slave. Ash and friends sure were forgiving about that! They should have told that loser where to stick it at the end of the episode.

Zyar

Unknown Member
And here was the moment where my heart broke and could never be repaired. To this day, I'm still sad Charmander evolved... He was my favorite Kanto starter and I wanted him to stay a Charmander forever and, ironically enough, he was Ash's only Kanto starter to evolve!!! I'm super salty about that lol

I understand he had a great character arc once he became Charmeleon and then Charizard, and his bond with Ash grew to be one of the strongest among Pokémon and trainer in a realistic, convincing way. But still... My sweet, little Charmander :'(

Leonhart

Imagineer
And here was the moment where my heart broke and could never be repaired. To this day, I'm still sad Charmander evolved... He was my favorite Kanto starter and I wanted him to stay a Charmander forever and, ironically enough, he was Ash's only Kanto starter to evolve!!! I'm super salty about that lol

I understand he had a great character arc once he became Charmeleon and then Charizard, and his bond with Ash grew to be one of the strongest among Pokémon and trainer in a realistic, convincing way. But still... My sweet, little Charmander :'(

I do miss him somewhat myself, mainly because he was obedient when he was at his base stage. This episode marks the end of that time, which does kind of sting. I figure that he evolved here as a way of shaking up Satoshi's team without requiring the writers to have Satoshi capture a new Pokemon.

BTS_fan

Immortal Queen
The fact that this was the last time we saw Ash's Charmander makes me sad. He hadn't gotten that much screentime and yet here he evolved and became disobedient for a long time. I remember thinking that Charmeleon was awesome at first, but little did I know how awful he'd turn out in the following episodes.

Leonhart

Imagineer
BTS_fan said:
I remember thinking that Charmeleon was awesome at first, but little did I know how awful he'd turn out in the following episodes.

I recall thinking that he was only acting out in this episode when he burned Satoshi's face at the end, then of course we found out later that that moment was a sign that he was no longer obedient to Satoshi, which was sad.

I thought that the magician dude hypnotising Ash after Ash worked so hard to help him was messed up and he also betrayed Misty by doing that. The carnival setting looked like fun except that most of the episode focused on the magician's plight and we hardly saw Ash and the others having fun. I thought that Charmander shouldn't have evolved because Charmeleon was only ever helpful here and then later he would become a complete dick. 6/10

Antiyonder

Overlord
I can only assume that Hitokage's evolution here was a result of Lizardon's popularity, which would explain why Lizard quickly evolved after this and didn't stay in its middle stage for too long.

Might have been planned even sooner as by this point he was used a bit more than Bulbasaur and Squirtle. Even frying a Golem in The Bridge Bike Gang.

Speaking of Melvin. What a creepy effin loser. He hypnotizes a 10-year old boy and makes him his slave. Ash and friends sure were forgiving about that! They should have told that loser where to stick it at the end of the episode.

Don't forget early on when he tells Misty to have an open mind before putting her in that get up.:-D

Pikachu in a tux, very dapper.

Charmeleon! Wish Charmander would have evolved sooner. Charmander seemed so shy and now he's disobient.