• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Marketplace Wanderer, Litten! (950)

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
I find it a bit weird on how Rotomdex said after the first battle with Alolan Persian that Litten was on 90% health (which seems rather high to me) yet it was going in and out of consciousness and finding it hard to move. I did really like the Litten blurry vision POV.

Rotomdex actually said Litten's damage was at 90%, not its health. So yeah, that's why it was going in and out of consciousness and had a hard time moving.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
Komala was kinda the only thing I actually liked of this episode.
Ahh, how could I had forgot. Bronzong being the bell, very nice! Komala was doing its job. Maybe that was when Ash said bye to his classmates.

Rotomdex actually said Litten's damage was at 90%, not its health. So yeah, that's why it was going in and out of consciousness and had a hard time moving.
Wonder what Litten's been doing all day to reach that low... Training??! :)

DatsRight

Dude, at least Meowth actually remembered he is a Pokémon who is capable of attacking those who antagonize him. Even better, his first reaction was to leap forth with Fury Swipes. He didn't hesitate or have to be reminded that he is a Pokémon.

Would be nice to see Meowth land one for once though. And come on, we still need a Counter/Mirror Coat from Wobbuffet. Why hasn't TR's secret weapon been used in Alola yet, especially since he now seems permanently out of his Pokeball?

I also welcome more variations of the motto like the olden days as well. I'm hoping the dub keeps the dramatic scrolling letters, that made it hilarious here.

Last edited:

ShadowForce720

Which is what I thought that showed, until I watched the episode, and realized that Litten only did that because it otherwise had no choice. Pretending to be nice or rather "play along" was in its best interest.

That moment after Alolan Persian runs off when Ash winces in pain was completely voided by the actual end of the episode when Litten for the most part IGNORED Ash. I don't know if staring Ash down before running off meant anything, seemed more like a cold moment to me.

This really felt like a one sided bonding episode to me.

See now it seems like your excusing poor writing on their personalities. There was NOTHING wrong with the writers putting MORE effort into Rowlet's capture so that it didn't come off as a poor excuse of a capture. Such as Ash interacting with Rowlet more.

Maybe Team Rocket didn't help, but for whatever reason more development, MORE focus was centered around Litten and Ash bonding with it, and it had no meaningful impact based on how the ending was shown, perhaps if Litten smirked before running off, I could see it but NOTHING happened except on Ash's side (the connection, while Litten's was more of a development for its character).

Rowlet BARELY got any focus outside of

- Looking for food, failing, and then looking for more food
- Being saved by Ash, being fed, flying off
- Being incredibly friendly to Ash, saving Pikachu, saving its family and then being caught by Ash

Meanwhile Litten got like two Rowlet episodes worth of development within one episode and outside of its character in of itself and Ash's unrequited bonding, NOTHING meaningful happened.

First off in regards to Rowlet it looks like it's going to be getting a battle in episode 8, also in regards to having nothing meaningful happen that's simply not true, look just because Ash didn't catch Litten here doesn't mean that nothing meaning full happened, because if you look at it Ash learned more about Litten's backstory and Litten over the course of the episode started warming up to Ash a little, there is nothing wrong with the writers wanting to take there time and take a different approach to Litten.

Also Litten is not a pokemon of the day since we have seen it in more then 1 episode, chances are that they do plan to give Litten to Ash eventually, and it wouldn't be the first time that it took a while for a starter to join or are you just going to ignore the fact that it took 51 or 52 episodes before Chimchar joined the main cast, and before you say that oh well it's because of Chimchar's backstory well you know what you can say the same thing about Litten.

So no just because Litten wasn't caught in this episode doesn't mean it's poor writing or that it will never get caught. Also again with Rowlet, Rowlet seems to be getting a battle in episode 8 so it's starting to get some focus. Just because Rowlet got caught in it's debut episode where as Litten there choosing to develop first before it gets caught does not mean that the writers put more effort into one then the other.

Also another thing in regards to Ash's Rowlet not getting focus, it's only been around since episode 4, plus episode 5&6 were focus on Lana and Sophocles while episode 7 is focus on Litten and the way those episodes were layed out there wasn't really any opportunity for Rowlet to get focus however it seems like in episode 8 that Rowlet is getting some focus as it's participating in a battle.

yes it can be annoying when a pokemon that you want to get captured doesn't get caught right away however that doesn't automatically mean it's poor writing especially considering the fact that were still towards the beginning of Sun & Moon and have even got half way through it yet so there is still plenty of time for Rowlet to get focus and for Litten to get captured.

The only thing Litten not being captured here might mean is that Litten might not be the second capture and Ash winds up catching Grubbin or something else before Litten, either way I doubt that Ash won't catch Litten because they took the time to have this episode where the 2 bonded and we have seen this Litten in more then one episode.

Last edited:

mystic9899

Pokemon fan
Would be nice to see Meowth land one for once though. And come on, we still need a Counter/Mirror Coat from Wobbuffet. Why hasn't TR's secret weapon been used in Alola yet, especially since he now seems permanently out of his Pokeball?

I also welcome more variations of the motto like the olden days as well. I'm hoping the dub keeps the dramatic scrolling letters, that made it hilarious here.

nah they'll just cut the text out like they did with the z-moves and the gym leader's entrance during the team flare arc.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
First off in regards to Rowlet it looks like it's going to be getting a battle in episode 8, also in regards to having nothing meaningful happen that's simply not true, look just because Ash didn't catch Litten here doesn't mean that nothing meaning full happened, because if you look at it Ash learned more about Litten's backstory and Litten over the course of the episode started warming up to Ash a little, there is nothing wrong with the writers wanting to take there time and take a different approach to Litten.

Also Litten is not a pokemon of the day since we have seen it in more then 1 episode, chances are that they do plan to give Litten to Ash eventually, and it wouldn't be the first time that it took a while for a starter to join or are you just going to ignore the fact that it took 51 or 52 episodes before Chimchar joined the main cast, and before you say that oh well it's because of Chimchar's backstory well you know what you can say the same thing about Litten.

So no just because Litten wasn't caught in this episode doesn't mean it's poor writing or that it will never get caught. Also again with Rowlet, Rowlet seems to be getting a battle in episode 8 so it's starting to get some focus. Just because Rowlet got caught in it's debut episode where as Litten there choosing to develop first before it gets caught does not mean that the writers put more effort into one then the other.

Also another thing in regards to Ash's Rowlet not getting focus, it's only been around since episode 4, plus episode 5&6 were focus on Lana and Sophocles while episode 7 is focus on Litten and the way those episodes were layed out there wasn't really any opportunity for Rowlet to get focus however it seems like in episode 8 that Rowlet is getting some focus as it's participating in a battle.

yes it can be annoying when a pokemon that you want to get captured doesn't get caught right away however that doesn't automatically mean it's poor writing especially considering the fact that were still towards the beginning of Sun & Moon and have even got half way through it yet so there is still plenty of time for Rowlet to get focus and for Litten to get captured.

The only thing Litten not being captured here might mean is that Litten might not be the second capture and Ash winds up catching Grubbin or something else before Litten, either way I doubt that Ash won't catch Litten because they took the time to have this episode where the 2 bonded and we have seen this Litten in more then one episode.

The difference between Chimchar and Litten is that we got to see Chimchar repeatedly as Paul's Pokemon and saw how it was brutally treated by Paul. And in DP there were as many as 191 episodes so Chimchar joining Ash after 50 odd episodes wasn't a problem. But it's unlikely that there will be so many episodes in SM.

ShadowForce720

The difference between Chimchar and Litten is that we got to see Chimchar repeatedly as Paul's Pokemon and saw how it was brutally treated by Paul. And in DP there were as many as 191 episodes so Chimchar joining Ash after 50 odd episodes wasn't a problem. But it's unlikely that there will be so many episodes in SM.

And Litten has shown up in 5 out of 7 episodes of Sun & Moon so far, so chances are it's going to wind up on the main cast and from the direction things seem to be going Ash will probably be the one to get it.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
And Litten has shown up in 5 out of 7 episodes of Sun & Moon so far, so chances are it's going to wind up on the main cast and from the direction things seem to be going Ash will probably be the one to get it.

I fully agree with that Ash will eventually catch Litten but I don't want its capture to be delayed like this just for the sake of setting up a character development arc. As I said before, there most probably won't be as many as 191 episodes in SM so Litten will thus have limited time to shine as Ash's capture if it's capture is delayed too much.

ShadowForce720

I fully agree with that Ash will eventually catch Litten but I don't want its capture to be delayed like this just for the sake of setting up a character development arc. As I said before, there most probably won't be as many as 191 episodes in SM so Litten will thus have limited time to shine as Ash's capture if it's capture is delayed too much.

Keep in mind that were still towards the beginning of Sun & Moon and at most Litten will wind up being caught closer to when Ash is about to leave Melemele Island at the latest, so there is plenty of time for Litten to shine considering Ash will still have to go through Akala, Ula Ula, and Poni Islands. I mean it's not like were going to have to wait until Ash arrives on one of the other Islands before Ash gets Litten, as he will most likely get Litten on Melemele Island at some point before he goes to Akala Island, it's just that there might be a capture 2 before it.

Daniel31

HopingGaryReturns
Actually, Rotomdex was adding to its data that the Cone of Shame is called the Heliolisk Collar, because it resembles Heliolisk's frilled collar. I don't know why they just couldn't call it a cone, but I suppose they have to be clever about it, right?
Ahh ok, that makes perfect sense now. I had no idea why Heliolisk was being shown at the time and I found it funny. Litten didn't look too happy about it either. Thx for clearing that up.

diakyu

Very interesting to see the critique about not laughing. I'm not arguing against it because the series was advertised as such but this is turning out just like I thought. Not as many laughs as expected and really no focus on the school as a whole, it's just the same Pokemon series except everyone's in one place.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!

I think the fact that Meowth even remembered he is a Pokémon and that his first instinct was to rush in to attack is a major first step for him. Perhaps next time, he will land a hit, but for now, baby steps. :p

What's wrong with Litten getting a character development arc? Doesn't it mean more when Ash has to actually earn a Pokémon's trust and/or affection? One major advantage of Ash being stationary is that he can really get to know some of the local wild Pokémon. I wouldn't mind Ash spending some more time getting to know Litten even better before he catches it.

And why do you think SM won't be as long as DP? The length of a series is determined by the release schedule of the games; the length of previous series has nothing to do with it. It's way too early to claim SM won't be as long as previous series.

Sonic Boom

@JohanSSB4 Twitter
That people think Ash not getting Litten straight away is violating some sacrosanct element of the series demonstrates how spoiled some people are about this.

Never mind the fact that Chimchar didn't join team Ash proper until 50 episodes into DP and so was only regulated to the Paul episodes as a result.

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics
Never mind the fact that Chimchar didn't join team Ash proper until 50 episodes into DP and so was only regulated to the Paul episodes as a result.

With the only difference Chimchar not being on Ash's team for fifty episodes was needed for the whole Chimchar plot. Especially since it was obvious that Paul will release Chimchar at some point and all three starters being in the main group. Litten will join the crew, but with what he have right now there's no need for it not to be caught right now. Without any plot, it's a Sandile 2.0.

Also Ash with only two freaking Pokemon right now is just awful.

DatsRight

I think the fact that Meowth even remembered he is a Pokémon and that his first instinct was to rush in to attack is a major first step for him. Perhaps next time, he will land a hit, but for now, baby steps. :p

Well more a major RE-step. He tried battling odd times in early XY as well (and even got in the odd bit of offence, he even managed to land a Fury Swipes on Pikachu for once in his damn life).

Hell he regularly battled with Ekans and Koffing in the early episodes of the OS (even if he predictably lasted about a second in all of them).

I am hoping Meowth and Wobbuffet will get to do a little more this series. Though in fairness, only Jessie's got to do a whole lot so far due to capturing Mimikyu (and even then the little nut job does it's own thing). :p

Last edited:

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.

I doubt it will be 191 episodes. Seeing how there are only 4 islands,I am pretty sure it won't be 191 episodes. Or you meant 141? Then it'd be correct, so around 140.ANother reason is we should get Gen 8 on NX, so it reduces chances of Gen 8 being in 2020.

Sonic Boom

@JohanSSB4 Twitter
With the only difference Chimchar not being on Ash's team for fifty episodes was needed for the whole Chimchar plot. Especially since it was obvious that Paul will release Chimchar at some point and all three starters being in the main group. Litten will join the crew, but with what he have right now there's no need for it not to be caught right now. Without any plot, it's a Sandile 2.0.

And Litten's confirmed to not have a plot himself?

The Sun/Moon put a big stock in showing that Pokemon and humans could coexist without having a trainer/trainee relationship. Totem Pokemon, Ride Pokemon, Nebby, and so on. Why couldn't Litten have the same possibility? We've seen it have issues with Alola Persian and a high regard for this Stoutland, so why not extrapolate on that and show that Pokemon are not wholly bound to serve humans, and can come around to the Trainer/trainee relationship on their own volition, at their own pace?

Also Ash with only two freaking Pokemon right now is just awful.

We're seven episodes in. It took seven episodes for Ash to get Treecko. We're hardly in outlier territory.

Navin

MALDREAD
Not trying to revive a meme, but SM seems to be having DP-levels of pacing. I mean, I still think the series will finish in 3 years (since that seems to be the turnover time between generations now), but they're definitely not rushing through Ash's captures or the regional quest arc.