• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Marketplace Wanderer, Litten! (950)

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
The only thing I didn't really like in this episode was how they used stock animation for Litten's Ember & Pikachu's Thunderbolt (which was also the only problem I had with episode 5 since they used a certain movement for Lana multiple times). It doesn't completely detract from the episode, but I thought they partly changed the art style so they could stop doing stuff like stock animation and repeating the same movements over & over again

Last edited:

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
The only thing I didn't really like in this episode was how they used stock animation for Litten's Ember & Pikachu's Thunderbolt (which was also the only problem I had with episode 5 since they used a certain movement for Lana multiple times). It doesn't detract from the episode, but I thought they partly changed the animation style so they could stop doing stuff like stock animation and repeating the same movements over & over again

As great as the new animation style is, I don't think stock animations for Pokémon moves are going away anytime soon. I just hope the animators at least add variety to the stock animations, or don't always use them, but I'm not getting my hopes up too high.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
The only thing I didn't really like in this episode was how they used stock animation for Litten's Ember & Pikachu's Thunderbolt (which was also the only problem I had with episode 5 since they used a certain movement for Lana multiple times). It doesn't completely detract from the episode, but I thought they partly changed the art style so they could stop doing stuff like stock animation and repeating the same movements over & over again

I noticed this. I'm hoping that they're still coming to grips with the technology and we'll see more varied attacks (that said, stock animations are cheaper so IDK).

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
I noticed this. I'm hoping that they're still coming to grips with the technology and we'll see more varied attacks (that said, stock animations are cheaper so IDK).

The animation is either on par or poorer than XY. The art style of XY was way better, and regarding the animation I would say that XY had some brilliant and flashy scenes of Mega Evolutions and Ash-Greninja transformation. I will say that the Z-move scenes were really good, but other than that the moves like Pikachu's Thunderbolt aren't as flashy as XY.

phanpycross

God-king
The animation is either on par or poorer than XY. The art style of XY was way better, and regarding the animation I would say that XY had some brilliant and flashy scenes of Mega Evolutions and Ash-Greninja transformation. I will say that the Z-move scenes were really good, but other than that the moves like Pikachu's Thunderbolt aren't as flashy as XY.

And XY fillers looked worse than Ash vs. Tobias. Therefore DP>XY.

Hardly fair comparisons you are making.

diakyu

Stock animation has always been in Pokemon, it was even all over XY if you look for it outside of the gym battles (and even in gym battles most of Ash's animations were stock ones). The idea, I think, is there's only so many ways you can show a Pokemon using a single move so outside of important battles there's no point in spicing it up, and the same goes for Ash in the XY gym battles. Kid can only throw a pokeball or issue a command in so many ways. Not to mention the new art-style is meant to be more expressive in both facial movements and body movement, I think we'll see next episodes if battles have really benefited any.

Pikachu's thunderbolt looks much better in Sun and Moon, he even does a little twirl in the air! But real talk they all look essentially the freaking same.

Last edited:

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
And XY fillers looked worse than Ash vs. Tobias. Therefore DP>XY.

Hardly fair comparisons you are making.

I'm not sure what you mean here. I did say that Pikachu's Thunderbolt looked more flashier in XY. Even in this episode, Litten's Ember looked less flashier than Fennekin's Ember.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
agreed
The animation in SM has been amazing so far. It was great in this episode as well imo <3

I agree, I like it better than XY for sure already! Even the league episodes were just too fast.
For this episode, I think everyone is excited for Stoutland to die as bad as that sounds haha

Navin

MALDREAD

Do you ever tired circlejerking over XY?

You realize XY reused footage such as Pikachu's attack animations all the time, right? The flashiness wore off after a while.

Last edited:

diakyu

Even in this episode, Litten's Ember looked less flashier than Fennekin's Ember.
I just checked episode 4 of XY to check because honestly I couldn't remember what it looked like and I have to say, it's not good. Fennekin just stands there and shoots fire. Litten's movements are much more dynamic. Not to mention it has the aded flair of its fur on its back.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Do you ever tired circlejerking over XY?

You realize XY reused footage such as Pikachu's attack animations all the time, right?

I'm not circle-jerking XY, I'm comparing the animation based on the moves shown. In XY, Pikachu's Thunderbolt did look more flashier. I also mentioned that Litten Ember, in this episode, didn't look as flashy as Fennekin's Ember.

Soniman

Break the Limit
All I know is nothing battle wise in SM hasnt given me the sane level of first impression wowness like Froakie vs Fletchling did way back in episode 3 and were at Episode 8. Animation is one thing, coreagraphy and dynamism is another so I hope AM can catch up in that regard

diakyu

Comparing the stock footage I can't see why anyone could place XY over Sun and Moon. In XY Pikachu shoots electricity, in Sun and Moon Pikachu does a twirl then shoots it. In XY fennekin stands still and shoots ember, in Sun and Moon Litten stands on it's hind legs then shoots fire. They're really quite similar but there's a difference in how dynamic they are.

For reference I went back to check the Pokeball factory and dedenne's capture episode to see Pikachu and Fennekin's stock attacks.

Janovy

Banned
Man, this was kind of a dark episode.

You have the allusion to Stoutland dying, Rotomdex calling it old, Stoutland actually looking all worn out and Litten having a nightmare where Stoutland doesn't wake up. And then you have Persian being mean just for the sake of being mean. It didn't even care about Litten's sandwich, it just wanted to cause it trouble. The fact that after the whole mess it nonchalantly came back to its trainer makes it even weirder. It's not even a wild Persian, it's a trainer's Pokemon!! How messed up is that?

I REALLY like Litten so far. Whereas Rowlet was given an easygoing personality, Litten is the complete opposite. This episode drives it home that Litten doesn't trust people easily. Litten is stubborn, mistrustful, always alert, completely violent against strangers and yet is depicted as having a warmer side when worrying about its, I guess we could call Stoutland its parent? Mentor? Whatever the case, Litten's relationship with Stoutland depicted Litten as something more than a grumpy cat who steals food, and I really appreciated it.

Another interesting thing is that Litten seems quite inexperienced at battling. It is being mentored by Stoutland, but doubtlessly it will need a trainer to realize its full potential.

I don't mind that Ash didn't get Litten. As Rotomdex said, and as Litten's behavior proved, Litten doesn't trust people easily. I am completely content with the fact that the writers are not forcing this capture and are doing it naturally, to build the friendship between Litten and Ash.

Overall, a solid episode. It seems filler-y, but it's not exactly a typical filler. Kinda like the Lana episode.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Comparing the stock footage I can't see why anyone could place XY over Sun and Moon. In XY Pikachu shoots electricity, in Sun and Moon Pikachu does a twirl then shoots it. In XY fennekin stands still and shoots ember, in Sun and Moon Litten stands on it's hind legs then shoots fire. They're really quite similar but there's a difference in how dynamic they are.

For reference I went back to check the Pokeball factory and dedenne's capture episode to see Pikachu and Fennekin's stock attacks.

I'm talking about the flashiness. Pikachu's electricity looked more flashier in XY than SM. And that was the same in the case of Ember, Fennekin's fireball looked more flashier than Litten's.
I will admit though that I really liked the Z-move scenes.

diakyu

I'm talking about the flashiness. Pikachu's electricity looked more flashier in XY than SM. And that was the same in the case of Ember, Fennekin's fireball looked more flashier than Litten's.
I will admit though that I really liked the Z-move scenes.
And I'm saying they all look very similar. Pikachu's electricity is the same between the two.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!

Flashiness =/= better animation. XY's animation was flashier, but it could also be stiff - especially the animation of the human characters. The characters tended not to move a lot, and when they did, their movements weren't always fluid. The flashiness, combined with the dynamic camera angles, often hid the stiffness of the animation.

SM's animation is more fluid. The characters - especially the human characters - move more naturally and organically. The animation is also more detailed: Ash's hair and clothes moving when he runs; Lillie's hair moving when she called out a warning; Pikachu's fur moving when he runs. The camera angles may not be quite as dynamic, but they don't need to be, because the animation is so good.

As for the stock battle animations... Pikachu moves a lot more in SM, whereas in XY, most of the credit goes to the dynamic camera. The camera had a tendency to zoom in and out a lot as Pikachu was performing a move. The camera doesn't move as much in SM; instead, Pikachu moves more.

Another Fire type starter with a somewhat sad backstory? I guess at least this one isn't trainer-induced....

Overall, I'm actually pretty glad Ash didn't catch Litten. Its backstory with Stoutland made me hope that those two stay together for the whole series!

Also, Ash.... getting scratched by a cat is painful. So what the hell are you doing?