• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Mastermind of Mirage Pokémon! (---)

Leonhart

Imagineer
Since this special was mainly a tenth anniversary present, I kind of knew ahead of time that nostalgia would be the main component. Seeing Okido-hakase, Kenji, and Kasumi again was still pleasant however, but the Mirage Pokemon subplot seemed weak. The upside was that we got to see a Mewtwo again, even though it was a fake.

DatsRight

Yung was a truly vile villain, I find it a shame they went for a more ambiguous 'go out with dignity' fate for him, he was one villain that truly deserved a cathartic onscreen comeuppance (the AG era oddly very rarely punished bad guys besides TR).

He did offer something few other villains offered the heroes however, a question of morals. His plans had come into motion that the only way to stop them was for Mew to willingly sacrifice itself and take a bullet for them, something Ash and Pikachu were clearly conflicted about but had to go through with. I liked the twerps for once not being in their idealistic 'bad guys get beat, good guys win' comfort zone with how things ended and I find it a shame more moments in the anime don't try more complicated resolves like this, it would make an idealistic archetype like Ash WAY more fleshed out and sympathetic, not to mention make the villains seem more effective.

Last edited:

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Yung was a truly vile villain, I find it a shame they went for a more ambiguous 'go out with dignity' fate for him, he was one villain that truly deserved a cathartic onscreen comeuppance (the AG era oddly very rarely punished bad guys besides TR).

I think Hunter J from the Sinnoh era was the most heartless Pokémon villain. Unlike most of the other villains, she actually went out to try to kill Ash and his friends, and was cruel and calculating in her methods. She apparently drowned in an explosion on a ship, although of course it remains to us if she actually died or not.

Leonhart

Imagineer

Dr. Yung/Mr. Mirage was such a generic villain that I didn't care much about his fate. The twist about him being evil was too obvious as well, and I saw it coming a mile away.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Dr. Yung/Mr. Mirage was such a generic villain that I didn't care much about his fate. The twist about him being evil was too obvious as well, and I saw it coming a mile away.

I feel the same. This whole special felt like something out of a fanfic or something and the plot was so mediocre imo.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Looking back, I find it odd how Dr. Yung knew about Mewtwo's existence when he shouldn't have had access to any of that intel in the first place.

Sonnas

So from what I've heard from other people I'm guessing this special isn't very well liked for an Anniversary special?

BTS_fan

Immortal Queen
So from what I've heard from other people I'm guessing this special isn't very well liked for an Anniversary special?

A lot of people criticized the new voice actors, but the plot was the worst part of this special because the mirage Pokemon gimmick was pretty boring. It was just such a pointless cash grab meant to promote the anniversary.

Sonnas

A lot of people criticized the new voice actors, but the plot was the worst part of this special because the mirage Pokemon gimmick was pretty boring. It was just such a pointless cash grab meant to promote the anniversary.
Yeah I heard that as well, and that some people say Misty was wasted in this special and also the only time her new VA voiced her until years later in SM.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Sonnas said:
Yeah I heard that as well, and that some people say Misty was wasted in this special and also the only time her new VA voiced her until years later in SM.

Actually, I'm pretty sure that Kasumi's TPCi voice actress voiced her during the flashback scenes in the episode where Satoshi's Lizardon came back in BW as well. But it's true that Kasumi was wasted here. I didn't even understand why she was present, unless it was simply done to make this special feel more nostalgic.