• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The May/Haruka Shipping Poll!

Your Favorite May/Haruka Shipping?

• PetalburgShipping (May X Max)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nodame

Misty <3
Well, since I'm not much of a shipper that likes to ship because of cuteness or whatever, I usually ship with logic. AdvanceShipping wouldn't be my thing, since it seems so unlikely, since the writers were clearly going for ContestShipping.

Lord Trollbias

Y'all Salty Bishes
May is love. May is life. May is well-liked and people want their best girl to be with protagonist. Besides a lot of people don't like Drew.
May is best girl Drew was just kinda meh to me. He was a decent rival I guess though Harley was by far more interesting. I was really never into Contestshipping during AG so it was probably was Drew's character that drew me away from it. AdvanceShipping>All (barring maybe PearlShipping)

minerswhocraft

Misty Come Back!
The time Drew and May shared on the island together made them look like they would get together, waaay more than it ever looked like Ash and May would ever get together. May was just so barren and boring all the time that you never knew what she actually liked or didn't like, so being such a flat character it's hard to say what she would like in a boyfriend. But Drew was the closest thing that the show setup. (Drew was also a rehash of Gary, haha)

Arn

I voted for Shoppingshipping. I just think they are both kind of cool and would be cooler together.

Scarlet Tactician

Lazy, But Here
I'll just repeat what I said in the last topic.

In the games, I adore Hoennshipping. It was one of my first big OTPs ever. Brendan is just such a fun character and he has so much chemistry with May! I also have grown to like NewRivalshipping quite a bit. Wally is just too sweet. If he gets more attention in OR/AS, I might just ship it more. I like RedOrb on a platonic level at least, especially in Emerald where Maxie redeems himself sooner. I could see May helping him along later.
I've recently taken a shine to Flagshipping (which I even named). Aarune just really interests me for some reason despite him likely just being a device to introduce Super Secret Bases. He just seems like a fun character potentially. I characterize OR/AS May as more sporty and I could see them just hanging out.

In the anime, Contestshipping is really cute. I remember being into it hard when I was younger, and I still find the idea of Drew and May together cute.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
The time Drew and May shared on the island together made them look like they would get together, waaay more than it ever looked like Ash and May would ever get together. May was just so barren and boring all the time that you never knew what she actually liked or didn't like, so being such a flat character it's hard to say what she would like in a boyfriend. But Drew was the closest thing that the show setup. (Drew was also a rehash of Gary, haha)

LOL, what? May made it perfectly clear what her likes and dislikes were. I'm not sure why you call her flat or boring when she had one of the best characterised personalities of the female companions in the series.

minerswhocraft

Misty Come Back!
In one episode she likes haunted houses, in another she is terrified. She had so little opinion on anything the group said or did that she really didn't have a personality. She was just there for the ride really. (She literally didn't even care if Ash won or if her Dad won in their gym battle, haha)

So it's just hard to really know what things May would like in a person when she was so under developed as a person. Yes, her story developed and progress pretty greatly, but as a person she was always flat and unmotivated. Boring.

The only time she ever showed interest in another person in the show was in the early days, when Brock gets into the group and she comments on how impressed she is by everything Brock knows and does.

Last edited:

Kuvario

I am who I am...because of them.
In one episode she likes haunted houses, in another she is terrified. She had so little opinion on anything the group said or did that she really didn't have a personality. She was just there for the ride really. (She literally didn't even care if Ash won or if her Dad won in their gym battle, haha)

Could've been a dubbing script error. How far were those episodes, tell me that. Um, I was sure she had a personality and did have a say in things, more personality than Johto Misty at least.

So it's just hard to really know what things May would like in a person when she was so under developed as a person. Yes, her story developed and progress pretty greatly, but as a person she was always flat and unmotivated. Boring.

Under-developed? Lol, that's got be untrue. Flat, unmotivated? Those are words I could perfectly describe Johto Misty with actually, she was pretty flat, boring, and didnt do anything at all for the group aside from yelling at everyone.

minerswhocraft

Misty Come Back!
Woah, I'm not trying to compare May to anyone, I'm just providing my own observations after having just watched the advanced series. May truly was a disappointing character and was very flat. I'm not saying she is better or worse than Misty or any other character. All I'm stating is that with such a lack of character it's hard to know who she might start a relationship with...

Truly, May didn't actively pursue contests like Ash did his badges. The group would stumble into a town, May would learn about a contest being held, and then she would be obligated to take on the contest. It wasn't until the end of the Hoenn contest arc that she finally stepped up. But it was literally like "oh, a contest? I did that before, so now I guess I'll just do them whenever I see one! Laddee laddee laa! I'm May! Oh, you guys want to go to that place? Ok, laddee laddee laa. Oh, now this? Ok! Ladde laddee la!..."

HoundoomFan

shy shipper
She had so little opinion on anything the group said or did that she really didn't have a personality. She was just there for the ride really.
No personality? Little opinion?
Didn't like pokemon at first. Got into Contests not gym battles like everyone expected her to. Cares about little brother (so much that she would miss an important contest). May's expedition. Feeling upset when she yelled at everyone when they were trying to help. ...No personality and little opinion?

(She literally didn't even care if Ash won or if her Dad won in their gym battle, haha)
What's wrong with that? Between a loving dad and a close friend, of course she'd be fine with whoever won. Much more tolerable than what Max did, personally.

Trained for contest, caught pokemon, traveled like she wanted, got into contest, continued contest in Kanto, Johto, & beyond = unmotivated?

The only time she ever showed interest in another person in the show was in the early days, when Brock gets into the group and she comments on how impressed she is by everything Brock knows and does.
Didn't care about bike after seeing Ash & Pikachu bond and wanted to travel with him, went to find a boat for him without being asked when Ash whined. Asked what Ash thought when she showed her bikini off.
She also blushed many of times and showed interested with Drew, but I'll leave with this.

...She only saw interest in Brock?

May would learn about a contest being held, and then she would be obligated to take on the contest. It wasn't until the end of the Hoenn contest arc that she finally stepped up. But it was literally like "oh, a contest? I did that before, so now I guess I'll just do them whenever I see one! Laddee laddee laa! I'm May! Oh, you guys want to go to that place? Ok, laddee laddee laa. Oh, now this? Ok! Ladde laddee la!..."
Actually, I remember Drew/Solidad/whoever would tell May where another contest would be at and she'd beg the group to go there. It's not like contest are always at a place forever like going to a gym, so of course May had to wait till she heard/found something to do contest, and once they found/heard about a contest, the group no doubt had to stop/travel to location to let her participate. It was different for Dawn because she was lucky enough to have Brock who'd found something that told them where the next contests were held.

Last edited:

minerswhocraft

Misty Come Back!
Oh bother... I can play the quote game too...

No personality? Little opinion?
Didn't like pokemon at first. Got into Contests not gym battles like everyone expected her to. Cares about little brother (so much that she would miss an important contest). May's expedition. Feeling upset when she yelled at everyone when they were trying to help. ...No personality and little opinion?

Yeah, so she does things. I said before that her story advance pretty well, but as a person she is still basically a blank page. It wasn't until the end of her contest arc, her 3rd season, that she finally started to grow as an individual. Her caring for Max so strongly truly came out of nowhere, yet was a breathe of fresh air. It was very nice to see her care about something for a change. May's expedition did give her something I guess. It built on her stupidity a bit. But truly, she just went from place to place doing whatever until Harely came around. That's when her character started to become something.

What's wrong with that? Between a loving dad and a close friend, of course she'd be fine with whoever won. Much more tolerable than what Max did, personally.

That's just it. She's always just "fine with whatever." never really has anything to say. Except shopping. I'll give you that, she likes to shop. SUCH PERSONALITY

Trained for contest, caught pokemon, traveled like she wanted, got into contest, continued contest in Kanto, Johto, & beyond = unmotivated?

Again, she got better in the end of her Hoenn arc. She didn't even care to travel with Ash originally. Just did when her parents suggested it or whatever.

Didn't care about bike after seeing Ash & Pikachu bond and wanted to travel with him, went to find a boat for him without being asked when Ash whined. Asked what Ash thought when she showed her bikini off.

...She only saw interest in Brock?

Wait wait wait, people see this as May liking Ash? Wow. This is quite interesting actually. I always wondered why anyone would ever pair up Ash and May when they can go 10 episodes without actually saying a word to eachother. Very interesting that you would interpret these moments as such. I've just watched these 3 seasons this past month and I truly never once saw any hints of May liking Ash. It certainly is a stretch, but it is what you make of it. (and it's not like she showed off her Bikini to just Ash, Brock was there too after all, haha. Showing off to boys in general!)

Most of these examples hint at a person who is just going along, doing whatever without any real cares. She does learn to love pokemon and her journey grows and progresses, but her personality is always just "Ok, sure! Let's do that! Oh, a contest? I'll join that! Oh? lunch? Sounds good to me? Oh, you want my opinion? I'll be fine with whatever you want?"

I guess at the end of it all, she's got that hippie kinda, go with the flow personality, which really doesn't create an individual, just a person who is there. May was just there.

HoundoomFan

shy shipper
Oh bother... I can play the quote game too...
What, you don't like the way I quote? I find it easier to find what is being talked about and am used to quoting this way when having a discussion about something. Though if you think that this is some "game" I'm fine with ending it here.

Yeah, so she does things. I said before that her story advance pretty well, but as a person she is still basically a blank page. It wasn't until the end of her contest arc, her 3rd season, that she finally started to grow as an individual. Her caring for Max so strongly truly came out of nowhere, yet was a breathe of fresh air. It was very nice to see her care about something for a change. May's expedition did give her something I guess. It built on her stupidity a bit. But truly, she just went from place to place doing whatever until Harely came around. That's when her character started to become something.
Stupid? She's ten. Ten year old play pretend. There are a lot of kids who play doctor or cops and robbers when they're young. It shows she's still childlike and enjoys her travels. Oh, and before Harley she was:
Impatient (left when Rowan's assistant said wait), adventitious (she said she was only interested in traveling in beginning), caring (when Torchic was gone and she found out she got upset and worried), gets things done (getting boat for Ash), and was unsure about self (begs Solidad for advice when Solidad says she'll be fine).

That's just it. She's always just "fine with whatever." never really has anything to say. Except shopping. I'll give you that, she likes to shop. SUCH PERSONALITY

She wasn't fine with badge getting. Her and Max argued that made him get lost in a mansion. She also got angry when Ash gave her advice. She was shown as impatient and whinny early on.

Again, she got better in the end of her Hoenn arc. She didn't even care to travel with Ash originally. Just did when her parents suggested it or whatever.

What? No. She's the one to push Ash to let her travel with her. If she did what her parents wanted, she would've collected badges like Ash did.

Wait wait wait, people see this as May liking Ash? Wow. This is quite interesting actually. I always wondered why anyone would ever pair up Ash and May when they can go 10 episodes without actually saying a word to eachother. Very interesting that you would interpret these moments as such. I've just watched these 3 seasons this past month and I truly never once saw any hints of May liking Ash. It certainly is a stretch, but it is what you make of it.
Well, I think the biggest hint was in the... Ranger movie was it? But yeah, I'm not really a big fan of Advance and like Contest much more. But yeah, all ships are mostly interpretation. Like you interpreting she had interest in Brock and not just that she was happy at that point that someone was able to cook everyone lunch and was just impressed by his knowledge with pokemon. But I do understand your confusion about a ship. You can look into what shippers think are hints and why they like it here: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Shipping:AdvanceShipping And from there you can check out other ships.

(and it's not like she showed off her Bikini to just Ash, Brock was there too after all, haha. Showing off to boys in general!)
She did it in front of Max & Ash looking between the two. I don't think she was showing off for her brother XD
hqdefault.jpg
But even ether way if she was showing off for Brock and Ash, she was still had to have some interest in Ash to want to show off around him.

Most of these examples hint at a person who is just going along, doing whatever without any real cares. She does learn to love pokemon and her journey grows and progresses, but her personality is always just "Ok, sure! Let's do that! Oh, a contest? I'll join that! Oh? lunch? Sounds good to me? Oh, you want my opinion? I'll be fine with whatever you want?"

I guess at the end of it all, she's got that hippie kinda, go with the flow personality, which really doesn't create an individual, just a person who is there. May was just there.
I'm not sure what you wanted from her? You wanted May to complain/argue about everything? Just because she's mostly fine with traveling with "doing whatever", doesn't mean she's personality less.

Also, a couple times during the beginning, she did tell Ash to slow down and made them take a break. So she wasn't "Ok! Fine!" all the time.

Last edited:

minerswhocraft

Misty Come Back!
Ok. I understand what you are trying to say. I can see why you think she had much more personality than she did. But it's like every example and moment you provide are exactly the moments and examples I would provide to explain how she is flat. So we are obviously interpreting everything she said and did in very different ways, haha.

I've just watched the advanced series for the first time in a span of 2 months. I have never watched the show before, so I am not clouded by nostalgia or Misty love or anything of the like. But coming from the fantastic Johto series, Hoenn was a big let down, and May was a big part of it to me. I wasn't looking for her to be another Misty, but just an individual. To me, there was nothing that made her stand out as more than just a character thrown in for filler. Every example you and I provide have opposite interpretations it seems, so this is really getting us nowhere.

It's actually funny though. May to me was incredibly flat and stagnant. It got to the point where hearing her voice made it hard to watch the episode. It really does surprise me that anyone would think otherwise!

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
It got to the point where hearing her voice made it hard to watch the episode. It really does surprise me that anyone would think otherwise!

This is pretty bizarre, since May was voiced by Veronica Taylor during Hoenn, which is the same voice actor as Ash. I don't remember anyone ever having a problem with Veronica Taylor's May voice when Hoenn was airing. She sounded a bit like Delia at times, but other than that her voice had quite a lot of enthusiasm and humor to it.

minerswhocraft

Misty Come Back!
This is pretty bizarre, since May was voiced by Veronica Taylor during Hoenn, which is the same voice actor as Ash. I don't remember anyone ever having a problem with Veronica Taylor's May voice when Hoenn was airing. She sounded a bit like Delia at times, but other than that her voice had quite a lot of enthusiasm and humor to it.

She actually sounded exactly like Ash! They both pronounced things the same. May even does the same giggle in her speech that Ash does. You know, when Ash starts a sentence and he is giggling at the first few words? May did the same exact thing. Besides, it was mostly just It being May that became annoying.

Contestshipping takes tge cake for me xD I just love when rivals show affection toward one another.

Victorian Rush

Weather Manipulator
I voted for Contestshipping, that is definitely one of my all time favorite ships. I honestly consider this pairing to be canon. I mean, Solidad basically pointed out to May that Drew has feelings for her, as if that was not obvious due to the roses. Plus, it was easy to see she had feelings for him as well. I just can't see May with anyone else, to be honest.

Fufuyurifan

GenVI Fangirl
I have to be completely honest; I didn't watch the Advanced Gen series of the anime. I only really follow XY, so I can't say anything about the anime ships. However I'm well into my game verse, and more often than not, I wind up automatically shipping the protags, so HoennShipping is the ship for me.

Luthor

I went for advanceshipping here. Contestshipping never really worked for me. But hey to each ones own.

Status
Not open for further replies.