• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Mechanics of Roaming

Blade-zulah

Cool Trainer
I'm currently hunting down a Legendary Beast, which is proving incredibly difficult... yeah, I knew it would be going in, but I feel like knowing a little more about how "roaming" really works would make the whole process a lot easier. Since Serebii doesn't have a mechanics guide for it yet, I thought I'd check if there was someone a little more knowledgeable about game mechanics who could give me some answers.

First, in what pattern (if any) does the location of the roaming Pokemon change? Is it like in D/P, where the Pokemon switches to a location adjacent to its previous one whenever you enter an area, or is it completely random? Does the location change when you use Fly? When you enter a house? When you enter a battle? When you reset the game?

Second, once you're in the same area as the roaming Pokemon, how difficult is it to encounter them? Will they be the first Pokemon you see? Are they Common, Uncommon, Rare, etc?

I think this information would help a LOT of people come up with more efficient strategies for catching these Pokemon. Please share if you know anything! ;243; ;244; ;245;

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
I don't know about the pattern, but they are quite easy to find, actually.

Go to route between Celadon & Saffron (Route 7) while having a Level 30-49 Pokemon as the first Pokemon in your team, along with a bunch of Repels.

Use the repel, and search the grass. If the repel runs out and you haven't found the Beast, go to Celadon, use repel, return to the grass and search again, and keep doing it until you find the Beast. Throw your Masterball, and it's yours ;)

Blade-zulah

Cool Trainer
I've been doing something similar with Pallet Town and Route 21, but I hadn't thought of using Repels... that WOULD make catching these things a whole lot easier. Thanks for the tip!

Blade-zulah

Cool Trainer
Some answers to my own questions, now that I've caught my Entei:

1) The pattern is totally random, as far as I was able to tell while tracking Entei's location via pokedex. It changes every time you exit an area, but does NOT change when you enter a battle with another Pokemon.

2) They are not that hard to find once you're in their area. Even without using repels, it never took me more than 7 tries to find one.

Mr. Charlie

Not sure about FrLg, but in GSC everytime you changed a location, it would move from the route it was to an adjacent route.

Blurrz

Oil Country 4 Life
My oh my, I can't find Entei and it's absolutely ticking me off. Does Max Repel work just as good as Repel?

NINJA PENGUIN

if your also looking for the latis on RSE then heres a methord
1 go to route 201
2 get 1 repel
3 use repel and get on acro bike,
4 put something heavy on your B button
5 leave bike bouncing for 3-4 hours
6 return and use a masterball on the lati that appeared

if your also looking for the latis on RSE then heres a methord
1 go to route 201
2 get 1 repel
3 use repel and get on acro bike,
4 put something heavy on your B button
5 leave bike bouncing for 3-4 hours
6 return and use a masterball on the lati that appeared

can you or can you not do this on FR/LG?cause i might try this.

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
can you or can you not do this on FR/LG?cause i might try this.
You cannot, as there is no Acro bike in FR/LG.

And that method seems somewhat wrong as well, if I'm remember correctly... as simply bouncing in the same spot would not change the location of the roaming Pokemon - changing routes would, but not just that. It's still a trick to ultilise though.

~Spacial_Rendation~

De Ibwis Twigga!
The best trick.

1. Prepare your Masterball
2. Get a level 49-50 poke.
3. Buy alot of max Repels as they last longer
4. Go to ANY route where the pokemon are below Lv 50. Otherwise you'll have to reley on the ol' "Stumble upon the randomly" trick
5. Spray the Max Repel and Walk/Run/Bike.
6. If unsuccessful, change the route you are in, to reset where the beasts are.
7. Repeat 5 and 6 until you find your Entei/Raikou/Suicune.

Last edited by a moderator:
~Spacial_Rendation~ said:
Go to ANY route where the pokemon are below Lv 40. Otherwise you'll have to reley on the ol' "Stumble upon the randomly" trick
Remember that the legendary beasts are Lv50 in FrLg.

kirby8933083

mai husbando
Never tried the repels thing, but from what I knew from G/S/C the pokemon will move at least 1 route or town away from your location. And will usually move within a flight from one city to another. Sp go from Pallett town to say Violet City, by the time you get to the new town, and into a supposed are it is in, the pokemon will have moved on.

Lottie

Ff Muffin to you...
The best trick.

1. Prepare your Masterball
2. Get a level 49-50 poke.
3. Buy alot of max Repels as they last longer
4. Go to ANY route where the pokemon are below Lv 50. Otherwise you'll have to reley on the ol' "Stumble upon the randomly" trick
5. Spray the Max Repel and Walk/Run/Bike.
6. Repeat 5 until you find your Entei/Raikou/Suicune

I used 50 max repels with this method at the route to the right of digletts cave and still no Suicune...

Lottie

Ff Muffin to you...
Would saving in a grass patch, fighting say, 6 random battles, and then SRing the game change the routes of the roamers?

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
Problem with the trick which you quoted is that it simply doesn't work. :/

You'll have to change which route you are in after a while of not encountering any Pokemon, to reset and change where the roaming beasts are - staying in the same route keeps them wherever they are. Otherwise that trick works fine, but you HAVE to change routes every so often.

And yes, SR would also reset their location...

NINJA PENGUIN2

<-- YOU WILL BE MINE
With the roaming dogs, Do they roam the Sevii islands or only Kanto? Because if it does roam the islands does it just randomly go there or does it roam the islands while you are on the islands?

Shadow Eeveelution

DracLord Dread
With the roaming dogs, Do they roam the Sevii islands or only Kanto? Because if it does roam the islands does it just randomly go there or does it roam the islands while you are on the islands?

They only roam the Kanto main land.

Suicune also can be found in water routes.

Last edited:

PokemonTom

Poke Addict
Ok I have a question about the roaming mechanics as well, because I've been trying to encounter the legendary dog (Suicune) for about 5 hours and about 100 max repels.

Here are the method's I've been doing:
1). I have a lvl 48 Golbat with Mean Look as my Front Pokemon.
2). I've been keeping Max Repel applied whenever the repel wears off.
3). (Yes I have the national pokedex, beat the elite 4 (only once)...also got the sapphire/ruby plates, although negligible I think)

The locations I've been running around in are:

-Route 2 (North of Viridian)...after about 50 steps I enter the building and then exit the building and take 50 more steps then enter/exit, etc...

-Route 11 (East of Vermillion)...after about 50 steps in grass I enter/exit diglett cave and then head back for 50 more steps then another enter/exit in diglett's cave, etc...

-Route 7 (East of Celadon)...after about 50 steps I enter the building and then exit and take another 50 steps in the grass, then enter/exit again, etc...

My Question is this:

Will the legendary beasts continue to roam/change routes by entering buildings/caves like I have been, am I doing something wrong...or just REALLY UNLUCKY?

Thanks (I searched all over for an answer and tried the FAQ)

Last edited: