• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Mechanics of Roaming

Halleton

you have to catch every form of Unown first, for the legendary dog to appear

Could somebody else confirm this? I don't want to sound sceptical, but I have never heard of this before. I really don't want to catch all those Unown for no reason if the quoted text ends up being untrue.

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
Could somebody else confirm this? I don't want to sound sceptical, but I have never heard of this before. I really don't want to catch all those Unown for no reason if the quoted text ends up being untrue.
That quote is False.. I have Caught a total of .. 0 unown in the GSC, and LGFR games and got a one of the Running Trio.

Halleton

That quote is False.. I have Caught a total of .. 0 unown in the GSC, and LGFR games and got a one of the Running Trio.

Thank you! I'm glad to hear that. Hopefully I'll find the roamer in my FR soon.

Here's the best way, if you can't use the Pokedex to spot it's location:

-Beat elite 4 (1st time)

-Catch 60 types of pokemon and talk to professor oak (He gives you the ability to find johto's pokemon...get the amulet coin while you're at it)

-complete the sevii islands crap (fast way to make money)

-On 5 island, use the VS seeker to battle the two rich girls at resort gorgeous until you have enough for about 100 max repels. (this should only take 4 battles total, as you get 19.5k - 20k per battle)

-Beat elite 4 (2nd time, mostly for kicks and good measure. I'm not sure if it has any effect on the runners or not, but it's better safe than wasting 3 hours)

-Buy 100 max repels and fly to celadon city, and bike right (east) until you hit the patch of grass on route 7.

-Now, with a pokemon that's somewhere between level 22 and 39 in the lead, use a max repel, and bike in the grass until the repel runs out. At this point leave the grass and enter the building with the guard in it, then exit again. Apply another max repel and repeat until the runner shows up.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Basically you just need acess to the johto pokedex and a lot of max repels. Route 7 only has one patch of grass, so if he's there, you'll find him. The runner switches position every time you enter a new area, including buildings. So just keep running from the grass, to the building, and back again.

This may take a LOT of time. I used a total of 120-ish max repels and about 2 hours to find mine without being able to see where it was. SOme people say they're found it in under 20 max repels under the same circumstances. (Some people are just lucky)

My biggest suggestion is don't use fly, or turn off your game, otherwise it will completely randomize it's location, as opposed to moving by only one route at a time as normal. Switching patches will only complicate the issue. Just stick to the same place and they'll turn up eventually.

Last edited:

GMagoy

Aspiring Champion...
Oh crap... I have been fooled! I really thought catching all of the unown forms was setting the beast free... After all it DID take make VERY little time after I caught the last one to encounter Entei, only 3 max repels... but I guess that was just insane luck and pure coincidence. But also pretty bad luck since it had 0 IV everywhere cept for HP... which is insane bad luck. I really read that in a forum that seemed pretty serious, but that was before I learned the existence of the great Serebii comunity. Well... I apologize for my mistake! Yeaaaah this post is pretty useless, cept for the apologies. I appologize for that too. XD (Now I'm sounding like Colette in the game Tales of Symphonia for those who know about it XD)

pokemon ruler

I like NOEIN
lets just say after 900 hours of it being possible to find suicune (on old fire red with a great shiny encounter rate) i still hadn't found it and the when i hit 1000 hours i finally found it and it was shiny bold and flawless sp attack and speed ivs so it was both lucky and unlucky. also it is no more.

GMagoy

Aspiring Champion...
You are but a lucky b**** having found it shiny O.O !!!
How come it is no more ?! How could you ! A legit one like that is invaluable !
*frowns until brows hurt*

pokemon ruler

I like NOEIN
it was on my first pearl whitch was stolen also on my first pearl my first catchable pokemon was a shiny joly starly with a flawless speed iv and an attack iv of 28

serebiifreak

...BRING IT!!!
First I never even knew about it,but then later on when I was in the first route I heard a weird entry music and it was the beast(suicine). I was like cool. To this day and on his life is in critical red and is still wondering.

Firehawk10590

Never lost a randbat
You are but a lucky b**** having found it shiny O.O !!!
How come it is no more ?! How could you ! A legit one like that is invaluable !
*frowns until brows hurt*

I've gotten similar luck, although not with perfect IVs. I must have SRed for at least 6 months to get it...

Volmise

Pika!!
lets just say after 900 hours of it being possible to find suicune (on old fire red with a great shiny encounter rate) i still hadn't found it and the when i hit 1000 hours i finally found it and it was shiny bold and flawless sp attack and speed ivs so it was both lucky and unlucky. also it is no more.

Which is funny considering the only possible way to get one of Legendary Beasts with flawless IVs in the 3rd gen is to capture them in Colosseum.

Being roamers in FR and LG their IVs were never anything but 0, 1, or 2. So you're obviously lying.

thebest123

this is very simple

starter - end result

charmander - suicine (my fav)
bulbusour - enite
squrrtle - raiku

get national dex - catch 60 pokemon go to oak
  • what you need to do
  • have master ball read
  • or some pokemon with mean look (crobat or genger) 15 - 20 ultraballs
  • 10 - 15 super repels or max replels
  • have 2 - 3 pokemon max in party
  • first pokemon in party should be around lv 40
  • go to top of viderian city pass the old man where the grass
  • now use a repel and start up and down in the grass (i used bicsyle)
  • if you havent seen it yet go in side building before virdeion forest and come back out and try again
  • trust me it it eventaull will work

Trainer_Melissa

The "Cute" Trainer
I have a question, is it possible at all, to catch a roaming pokemon like Entei or Latias without resorting to a master ball? I mean, I know Golbats or Crobats know Mean Look, but that only works if the speed is faster than said legendary pokemon. So...is there anyway to level up a pokemon so the speed is at the best mark?

That way, when I encounter the roaming Entei/Latias, the Golbat/Crobat strikes first with Mean Look, leaving it incapable of fleeing.

But...what natures are good with speed? Or should I just use loads and loads of Carbos?

Alder

Come at me bro
I don't know why, but for some reason I've always been able to find the dog in question simply by walking around in the patch of grass right outside of Fuschia, with the three bird catchers in it. I don't know. I found one there once, Raikou I think, then started over with Charizard, and when I finished the game, decided to try it again and within twenty minutes Suicune showed up.

Noppy

This thread is pretty dead, but maybe someone will help: Are the beast natures and IVs in FR/LG set after you beat the elite four? or after oak gives you the national dex?

thankies

Noppy

actually, I'm having 2nd thoughts.

does the very low, nearly all IVs at 0 glitch only occur with suicune, or is it all of them (bulbapedia says it's just suicune). Because I really cant be bothered to restart my fire red just to soft reset before talking to oak just to find his IVs are always terrible.

no ones going to reply, why am i bothering? :p

Noppy

does the very low, nearly all IVs at 0 glitch only occur with suicune, or is it all of them (bulbapedia says it's just suicune). Because I really cant be bothered to restart my fire red just to soft reset before talking to oak just to find his IVs are always terrible.

Freeze Frame

That's not a "glitch", it's intentional. Roamers always have low IVs.

K-os

Bullet Punch

I believe it is set the first time Bill fixes his PC on Island, quite a bit before the Pokemon League. The game also saves when you beat the League, so to get a different natured/IV'd roamer, you'd have to do the game all over again.

The best pokemon to catch roamers, hands down, is Smeargle. He can learn every move, and so can hold all the weapons you need.

Smeargle @ Leftovers
Timid / Jolly Nature
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
- Mean Look
- Spore
- False Swipe
- Featherdance / Metal Sound / Screech

Encounter the runner, and use Mean Look. Spore them to sleep, then use False Swipe to get them down to 1HP. The last move lowers one of the stats of the roamer to minumum within 3 turns.

This leaves you with a 1 HP, sleeping, one-stat-at-minumum pokemon. Shouldn't take too long with Ultra Balls, even Great or Pokeballs.