• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Media and Privacy

Status
Not open for further replies.

KetchupO

tωisted

Universal Declaration of Human Rights, in article 12, states:

No one shall be subjected to arbitrary interference with his privacy, family, home or correspondence, nor to attacks upon his honor and reputation. Everyone has the right to the protection of the law against such interference or attacks.

Celebrities have their right of privacy violated all the time.
Some say, that is a choice they made when they chose to become famous.
But where exactly do you draw the line?

What do you think about the way celebrities rights are violated?
Is it right? Should it be stopped? Do magazines really have a right to publish things about a person without their consent?
(The information is often false)

A perfect example is Britney Spears.
This is what she see every time she steps outside.
It's enough to make someone cry.
And even in the 'privacy' of her own home, helicopters won't hesitate to hover over her house, waiting for any chance they can get to take a picture of her and her children.

Is this fair to ANYONE?

Note: This isn't a debate about Britney, I only used her as an example.

Debate ^^

Regan

Banned
They make their living being in the public eye. If they wanted privacy, they should have become accountants or something.

Clash

He's Back!
The media's going to have a field day on this.

Ethan

Banned
What a terrible thing it is to have people running to take your picture.

I believe this quote sums things up well.

"The only thing worse than being talked about, is not being talked about." - Oscar Wilde

If it wasn't for the tabloids, harassing reporters, etc, etc, etc the people in question wouldn't be famous in the first place. Every good thing comes with a price. If you can have your dream house, and all the material things in the world, you should be able to handle the media.

Ethan

Banned

I believe this quote sums things up well.

"The only thing worse than being talked about, is not being talked about." - Oscar Wilde

If it wasn't for the tabloids, harassing reporters, etc, etc, etc the people in question wouldn't be famous in the first place. Every good thing comes with a price. If you can have your dream house, and all the material things in the world, you should be able to handle the media.

KetchupO

tωisted
I understand that.
But how far is just, too far?

And maybe they do not aim to be famous. Most could be doing something because it's something they like, or they are really talented at it, and they have no control over the media. Is it really necessary for their rights to be violated?

If you can have your dream house, and all the material things in the world, you should be able to handle the media.
How did you get to that assumption?

It is when every little mistake you make is publicized and made out as if to be a crime.

Last edited:

Regan

Banned
Too far is making USD350,000,000 off one tour. Jeez, its not like they're not rewarded for giving up their privacy rights.

KetchupO

tωisted
Too far is making USD350,000,000 off one tour. Jeez, its not like they're not rewarded for giving up their privacy rights.
I'm sure most celebs are interested in happiness/comfort more then money.
And they did not 'give them up' their rights are TAKEN.

And Britney, again just an example, actually looses money from the publicity, since all the mags show is negative/personal things in her life. People begin to focus more on HER than her music. So the publicity is not always a good thing for their career.

Last edited:

Ethan

Banned
KetchupO, would you happen to be Chris Crocker in disquise?

And maybe they do not aim to be famous. Most could be doing something because it's something they like, or they are really talented at it, and they have no control over the media. Is it really necessary for their rights to be violated?

Well there are celebrities that keep very low key like Arnold the governator. When your filthy rich and famous, then proceed to go to a public beach in your underwear, don't expect that the tabloids won't have a hayday.

It is when every little you mistake is publicized and made out as if to be a crime

This is happening with all celebrities?

KetchupO

tωisted
KetchupO, would you happen to be Chris Crocker in disquise?
No.
Well there are celebrities that keep very low key like Arnold the governator. When your filthy rich and famous, then proceed to go to a public beach in your underwear, don't expect that the tabloids won't have a hayday.
Angelina Jolie doesn't go out partying in her underwear. She on the cover of a tabloids and mags every week. Her family life is always a 'Hot-Topic'.
So celebs don't really ask for this publicity and it's not always their fault when negative/personal things are published about them.
This is happening with all celebrities?

The ones being hounded by hundreds of paps everyday of their lives.
Most.

Anyway, I think people are missing the point of the debate. We are debating the human right of privacy being violated. K? k.

Last edited:

Regan

Banned
The debate is a little more than that. These people aren't commoners, and basically gave up their right to privacy when they decided to become world famous. I believe they knew what they were getting into to.

KetchupO

tωisted
The debate is a little more than that. These people aren't commoners, and basically gave up their right to privacy when they decided to become world famous. I believe they knew what they were getting into to.
They're still HUMANS. It's not like they're another species. They have emotions and feelings just like you, believe it or not, and humans need and deserve privacy o_o

Regan

Banned
They're still HUMANS. It's not like they're another species. They have emotions and feelings just like you, believe it or not, and humans need and deserve privacy o_o

Noted, however these people make a living in the public eye. They want it, or else they wouldn't perform to millions of people. Of course people are going to be interested, these people are percieved as higher class citizens, with millions of fans. It seems all strange how they can perform in public to make money, and then be expected to be left alone.

Rheine

Stabby McStabface
It sounds simple yet it has more depth...Let's see, my thought is that if a celebrity feels that his/her privacy is being violated, they can sue the papparazzis, anytime.

Poliwag2

ship it holla
Live by the sword, die by the sword.

I have no sympathy for anyone who manipulates/plays the media or sells, for example, their wedding day to Hello! magazine. If the media turns against you at a later stage, then it is your own fault; it was always a Faustian pact.

However, I think it inappropriate to treat celebrities who do not play the game, in the same way.

Strants

Hmm. . . I don't think it is right. I'm also against the showing of this. And this. Oh, and let's throw in this for good measure. Do we really need to know about a trial being held for a murder, rape, or drug abuse? It's one thing saying that there's an escaped criminal with dark hair and green eyes, a man named Joe Jimmy Bob. But, you tell me, is any of this really important news? It seems like sensationalism to me.

KetchupO

tωisted
Hmm. . . I don't think it is right. I'm also against the showing of this. And this. Oh, and let's throw in this for good measure. Do we really need to know about a trial being held for a murder, rape, or drug abuse? It's one thing saying that there's an escaped criminal with dark hair and green eyes, a man named Joe Jimmy Bob. But, you tell me, is any of this really important news? It seems like sensationalism to me.
Yes, that news is important.
You see, that is the news we need more of. Not news about celebrities and people's personal lives, or how much they ate, what they wore, and where they went. -_-

$Cash$

Live by the sword, die by the sword.

I have no sympathy for anyone who manipulates/plays the media or sells, for example, their wedding day to Hello! magazine. If the media turns against you at a later stage, then it is your own fault; it was always a Faustian pact.

However, I think it inappropriate to treat celebrities who do not play the game, in the same way.

Exactly it's all part of the game
You're a celebrity you can buy all the houses, cars, drugs you want so don't whine about people taking pictures of you outside when you're nicely dressed and posing for the cameras. Most celebrities are the very shallow insecure whiny type of people.
And if they don't like the cameras they can stay in their 10 million dollar house and do God knows what

KetchupO

tωisted
Most celebrities are the very shallow insecure whiny type of people.
And if they don't like the cameras they can stay in their 10 million dollar house and do God knows what
Why do people on Serebii fall for this stereotype? o_o
You do not even know any personally.

Regan

Banned
Whereas a common understanding of these rights and freedoms is of the greatest importance for the full realization of this pledge,
Why do people on Serebii fall for this stereotype? o_o
You do not even know any personally.

I think he was refering to the fact that they break down after a few cameras.

I dont think you realise that they brought into this.

Maybe ill show you all where these apply as well, and you can deduce that there has been no breach of their human rights.

Whereas recognition of the inherent dignity and of the equal and inalienable rights of all members of the human family is the foundation of freedom, justice and peace in the world,

Whereas disregard and contempt for human rights have resulted in barbarous acts which have outraged the conscience of mankind, and the advent of a world in which human beings shall enjoy freedom of speech and belief and freedom from fear and want has been proclaimed as the highest aspiration of the common people,

Whereas it is essential, if man is not to be compelled to have recourse, as a last resort, to rebellion against tyranny and oppression, that human rights should be protected by the rule of law,

Whereas it is essential to promote the development of friendly relations between nations,

Whereas the peoples of the United Nations have in the Charter reaffirmed their faith in fundamental human rights, in the dignity and worth of the human person and in the equal rights of men and women and have determined to promote social progress and better standards of life in larger freedom,

Whereas Member States have pledged themselves to achieve, in co-operation with the United Nations, the promotion of universal respect for and observance of human rights and fundamental freedoms

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.