• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Mighty Power of the Sturdy Shedinja! (triple battles)

Cissinho

Hello... i was wondering how i can use shedinja properly in a competitive team and the first thing i think was how about a shendinja with sturdy?... its would be really annoying and can sweep entire team if they are unprepared... so, this is what i do... i find the form to give Sturdy on Shedinja with a little preparation... so, this is my Shedinja based team:

242.png

Blissey @Chople Berry
Ability: Natural Cure (it doesn´t matters)
Bold Nature
Evs: 200 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD / 52 Spe
-Skill Swap
-Icy Wind
-Safeguard
-Softboiled

one of my leads... the Spe Evs are there because this team is constantly supported by Tailwind (Skarmory and Whimsicott have this move) and with this evs in Spe she can outspeed several pokemon... well, going to the moveset... Skill Swap is one of the necesary moves to pull out the strategy of this team (give Sturdy in Shedinja)... in the end of this post i explain this better... Icy Wind is only to annoy the oponnent... the damage is not important, the important is the speed drop this move... Safeguard to keep all my pokemon safe of the status change... Softboiled is self-explanatory...

227-m.png

Skarmory @Shed Shell
Ability: Sturdy
Impish Nature
Evs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 SpD
-Tailwind
-Icy Wind
-Taunt
-Brave Bird

This is not the most common Skarmory, but is pretty useful in my team... Tailwind to get the speed boost and outspeed almost all pokemon... Taunt to prevent the entry hazards (this really kills my strategy) or Icy Wind if i only like to drop the oponnent`s speed.. Roost to resist a litte more in the battle... Brave Bird is for not be a Taunt bait... i use this pokemon more because his ability, but is useful in battles...
Changes Roost for Taunt.... Roost don´t work because i don´t use Skarmory to fight... Taunt works better because if i am against a trick room team, i can stop the trick roomer taunting it and with that i dont have troubles to make my moves

055-f.png

Golduck @Wacan Berry
Ability: Cloud Nine
Timid Nature
Evs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe
-Protect
-Worry Seed
-Icy Wind
-Surf

this is the 3rd lead and one of my anti-weather pokemons... Protect is self-explanatory... Worry Seed is to pull of the strategy of this team (at the end of the post i explain this better)... Icy Wind for the same reasons that i use this in Blissey and Skarmory... Surf to get a STAB and attack multiple oponnents...

235.png

Smeargle @Focus Sash
Ability: Own Tempo
Jolly Nature (if it´s does matters jaja)
Evs: 4 Hp / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
-V-Create
-Bolt Strike
-Close Combat
-Destiny Bond

This is the major change in my team... Lickilicky works well before, but i want only Shedy attack the oponent xD... this moveset it´s only here so Shedy can Mimic any of the 3 first moves depending on the situation... Destiny Bond is here so Smeargle could help to KO one oponent pokemon... that´s all... Smeargle is here only to help Shedy to have a really powerful move to use jaja

547.png

Whimsicott @Occa Berry
Ability: Prankster
Bold Nature
Evs: 4 Hp / 252 Def / 252 SpD
-Safeguard
-Taunt
-Tailwind
-Sunny Day

this is the supporter of the team and my other Anti-weather pokemon... Grass Knot is the to don´t be taunt bait... Taunt is for taunt xD... Tailwind to get the speed boost and Sunny Day to change the Sandstorm or Hailstorm when my anti weather pokemon are done...

292.png

Shedinja @Lum Berry
Adamant Nature
Evs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
-Mimic
-Shadow Claw
-X-Scissor
-Swords Dance
Well, this is the cause of this team jaja i completely forgot that Shedy can learn mimic through Emerald move tutor and when i realize that, i think that it was a very good move to this set... Mimic is the circumstancial move... i copy an oponent move that would be useful or i choose to copy one of my own team moves... for this are the SAtk evs... if i copy an special attack, i like to do something xD... Shadow Sneak is the first STAB and was chosen over Shadow Claw for the priority... X-Scissor is the second STAB and is a very powerful attack after the attack boost of Hone Claws... Hone Claws is self-explanatory... more attack = kill faster... and the accuracy boost is good if i copy a powerful but innacurrate attack...
I made some changes here... first, the Nature of Shedinja... Adamant is the only nature that match well here, because if i want to kill something, obviously i need atk xD... the item is now a Lum Berry... it wasn´t necesary to use Focus Sash if Shedy is getting sturdy... this berry works if the oponnent attemps to use a Status-change move in Shedy before i use Safeguard with Whimsicott or Blissey... i change Shadow Sneak for Shadow Claw for the power... why i need priority if my opponent - slower or faster- can´t kill Shedy ?... and at last, SD for hone Claws... i need power, and SD gives me more power

well, this is the "sweeper" of the team, but it can´t do anything if is not correctly support by the next pokemons

Next, the explanation:
-I use as leads Blissey, Skarmory and Golduck, being Skarmory de pokemon in the middle...
-In the first turn, i used protect on Golduck... then Blissey uses Skill Swap on Skarmory and the bird uses Tailwind...
-In the second turn, my team is faster so i can pull off the strategy better... i change Skarmory and send out Shedinja... i use Worry Seed on Shedinja and then Blissey Skill Swap his "sturdy" abilitie with Shedinja and that is... you have a Shedinja with Sturdy... Safeguard on Blissey is to keep Shedinja safe of the status changes

yes, i know that this team is very gimmicky, but i´m bored to see entire team based on Serebii POTW or Smogon Movesets and i want to see more creative teams...
i know that entry hazards kills my strategie and is for that that i need you to give some advice on my team... change pokemons, moves, but keep the Sturdy Shedinja Strategy...

if you want to see how this team works, then see it in your Pokemon Black or White game... the Video Nº is: 61-84306-09133 (in this battle, you can see Shedy Killing a Heracross, Serperior, Lapras and Garchomp on his own)

Here you can see the power of the Sturdy Shedinja!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPjouu2DKJk

another video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndXtZZbw-e0

Thanks!

PD: sorry if my english is not correct, but i´m still learning english...

Last edited:

Shiny Mudkip

Title Loading...
Explosion doesn´t have the strong that has in the 4th gen, but this attack do masive damage when is used by Lickilicky...

I think the main reason for the reduction of Explosion's power is the addition of gems. A normal gem would give it a base power of 600, not to mention the STAB bonus that Lickilicky would get for it be a normal type move. I'm not sure that Shedinja would work in triples. Focus Sash only works one time, so it would still be killed in two attacks (or 0 attacks if they have hail/sandstorm), which still leaves them with 1-3 attacks left, and with attacks targeting multiple Pokémon, it might not even stop them from attacking your others at all. Even with it's high power I would not suggest using Explosion in triple battles. It effects your Pokémon as well, and you don't have any ghost types or anything with protect to be shielded from it.

Cissinho

I think the main reason for the reduction of Explosion's power is the addition of gems. A normal gem would give it a base power of 600, not to mention the STAB bonus that Lickilicky would get for it be a normal type move. I'm not sure that Shedinja would work in triples. Focus Sash only works one time, so it would still be killed in two attacks (or 0 attacks if they have hail/sandstorm), which still leaves them with 1-3 attacks left, and with attacks targeting multiple Pokémon, it might not even stop them from attacking your others at all. Even with it's high power I would not suggest using Explosion in triple battles. It effects your Pokémon as well, and you don't have any ghost types or anything with protect to be shielded from it.

But Shedinja wouldn´t be affected by Explosion (is a Ghost-Bug timpe Pokemon) and i have Protect in my Golduck.... i know that explosion is not the best option to do damage multiple pokemons, but it can save me in difficult situations... and you are wrong with shedinja... see the video and you tell me... with sturdy, shedinja can resist al attack of my oponents... if my oponnent attack 3 times shedinja, then sturdy activates 3 times without letting shedinja dying... i at first think the same you thinked, but sturdy doesn´t works the same way as Focus Sash... and how Shedinja will be always full health, then it never dies... (only multyple attacks can kill shedinja as Bullet Seed or Dual Chop, but almost no one uses these attacks)...
and Focus Sash in Shedinja is only if i have troubles when switching Skarmory for Shedinja in the second turn so i can use Worry Seed and Skill Swap with not risk...
if you don´t believe, then see the video and you will see how effective is Sturdy on Shedinja ;)

Shining Fire

A little rusty
@ Shiny Mudkip: Cloud Nine cancels out the effect of weather duh. And for the triple battle, use something with Follow Me, Rage Powder, etc.

Cissinho

@ Shiny Mudkip: Cloud Nine cancels out the effect of weather duh. And for the triple battle, use something with Follow Me, Rage Powder, etc.

i don´t think that these moves are necesary... when Shedinja gets sturdy only you can kill Shedy with status change (Burn, Poison... Confusion some times), with Leech Seed (this is the big treat in my team) and attack that hits more than one time (A.K.A Bullet Seed)... but with Safeguard i don´t have problem of the Status... and very little peolpe uses moves that hits more than one time... when i have the sturdy shendinja and safeguard, the only risk on shedinja is if my oponent uses Leech Seed...

i tested this team in Wifi Random and i have 3 W and 0 L... but it has to be almost 9 W because in six oportunities the opponent rage quit when they saw that will be killed by a Shedinja xD

Last edited:

Shiny Mudkip

Title Loading...

If he doesn't have a Cloud Nine Pokémon in, then it doesn't matter.

But Shedinja wouldn´t be affected by Explosion (is a Ghost-Bug timpe Pokemon) and i have Protect in my Golduck.... i know that explosion is not the best option to do damage multiple pokemons, but it can save me in difficult situations... and you are wrong with shedinja... see the video and you tell me... with sturdy, shedinja can resist al attack of my oponents... if my oponnent attack 3 times shedinja, then sturdy activates 3 times without letting shedinja dying... i at first think the same you thinked, but sturdy doesn´t works the same way as Focus Sash... and how Shedinja will be always full health, then it never dies... (only multyple attacks can kill shedinja as Bullet Seed or Dual Chop, but almost no one uses these attacks)...
and Focus Sash in Shedinja is only if i have troubles when switching Skarmory for Shedinja in the second turn so i can use Worry Seed and Skill Swap with not risk...
if you don´t believe, then see the video and you will see how effective is Sturdy on Shedinja ;)

I've used Shedinja before. You can hit it with status moves (Will-O-Wisp, Toxic, etc., unless you have a safeguard up from your Blissey). Focus Sash is a consumable item, and is therefore gone after the first use. Sturdy (the ability) is usable whenever you have full HP, but Shedinja can only have Wonder Guard as it's ability, not including the effects of attacks such as Simple Beam (I'm not sure if this hits it or not) and abilities like Mummy, which would change your ability if you came in contact with a Cofagrigus. After you use up your focus sash, your shedinja is dead. It is weak to both rock and fire, so a combination of Rock Slide/Eruption would kill your Shedinja in one turn without wasting any of your opponent's attacks.

SomeoneIGuess

?Hu Hsilaciryl
Uh, no it's not. Sheddy learns Mimic, in which way it can learn Skill Swap and then gain Sturdy. Isn't it better to jsut Entrainment a Spiritomb or Balloon Drapion though?

Cissinho

That's what I was thinking. Shedinja isn't capable of getting Sturdy.

hey, don´t be so close mind!!...

shedinja can have sturdy with this team and is completely legal...
With Blissey i use Skill Swap to get Sturdy from Skarmory... then i change skarmory with Shedinja and i use Worry Seed on it (with Golduck)... with this, Shedinja Ability changes to Insomnia... and next i use Skill Swap again with Blissey (remember, now Blissey has Sturdy because i swaped her ability with Skarmory!!).. and the Sturdy passed from Blissey to Shedinja... and there is, you have a Sturdy Shedinja... you need to see the video of this in your game (in the first post i put the number of the video and this was tested on random wifi, so there is no form to put hacked pokemon on it... i am going to upload the video to youtube so you can see that´s true)... if you don´t believe try by yourself and you gonna be surprised

Uh, no it's not. Sheddy learns Mimic, in which way it can learn Skill Swap and then gain Sturdy. Isn't it better to jsut Entrainment a Spiritomb or Balloon Drapion though?

see my explanation above.. that how i get Sturdy on Shedinja (Wonder Guard cannot be Skill Swaped, but how i change shedinjas´s ability to Insomnia, there no problem)... maybe the spiritomb thing is better, but i don´t like that xD... and a ballon drapion can be killed.... a Sturdy Shedinja is almost invincible (well, you can take it down through the forms i said in my first post)... and is better to see how your opponent is killed by a Shedinja xD

Last edited:

Shiny Mudkip

Title Loading...
hey, don´t be so close mind!!...

shedinja can have sturdy with this team and is completely legal...
With Blissey i use Skill Swap to get Sturdy from Skarmory... then i change skarmory with Shedinja and i use Worry Seed on it (with Golduck)... with this, Shedinja Ability changes to Insomnia... and next i use Skill Swap again with Blissey (remember, now Blissey has Sturdy because i swaped her ability with Skarmory!!).. and the Sturdy passed from Blissey to Shedinja... and there is, you have a Sturdy Shedinja... you need to see the video of this in your game (in the first post i put the number of the video and this was tested on random wifi, so there is no form to put hacked pokemon on it... i am going to upload the video to youtube so you can see that´s true)... if you don´t believe try by yourself and you gonna be surprised

That takes at least a couple of turns to set up, during which time Shedinja could easily be knocked out , especially if you're using all of your moves to up with rather than actually take out some of the opponents. OR a Blissey could be rather easily killed in 2 turns by fighting moves (they get 3 attacks per turn). 255 Base Hp seems intimidating, but 10 Base Def makes it easy to kill. Honestly, Whimsicott/Terrakion could probably knock out the Blissey (and maybe Skarmory) on turn 1.

It's not a bad idea, but it's so easy to counter.

Cissinho

emm you don´t read that this is a Triple Battle team?... its takes me only two turns, and in the second turn my pokemon are faster because i setup tailwind with Skarmory... i used this team almost 10 battles today and i win 9 .... and i can setup my strategy in all the battles, so is not that difficult and not as slow how you think... is a very easy setup... and truly you think that a whimsicott can OHKO a Blissey? pfff... maybe terrakion, but i don´t have a fight with a terrakion so i don´t really know what could happen

Shiny Mudkip

Title Loading...
Turn 1: whimsicot uses beat up on Terrakion. Justified maxes out terrakion's attack. Terrakion uses STAB rock slide on all 3 of your pokemon. Third pokemon hits the last 1 hp left from sturdy. Terrakion would have rock gem to double the already strong rock slide's power or king's rock to make you flinch. Good luck surviving that with a 10 base def.

Shiny Mudkip

Title Loading...
Turn 2: if blissey somehow survived, whimsicott can use Taunt, preventing skill swap from being used. If not, tail wind doubles their team's speed.

Cissinho

Turn 1: whimsicot uses beat up on Terrakion. Justified maxes out terrakion's attack. Terrakion uses STAB rock slide on all 3 of your pokemon. Third pokemon hits the last 1 hp left from sturdy. Terrakion would have rock gem to double the already strong rock slide's power or king's rock to make you flinch. Good luck surviving that with a 10 base def.

but that one of a hundred teams... no everyone person that plays triples uses that strategy... and yes, it is one of the posibilities, but i don´t mind to make a team to counter a terrakion... you are right... that screews my team but i don´t have only shedinja on team... i have 5 more pokemon that can do something about it... and if you don´t see... maybe that kills blissey, but in the next turn my team will be faster (because of Skarmory´s Tailwind) and i will kill terrakion with no problem

ParaChomp

be your own guru
Won't work. Even if Shedinja has Skill Swap, it will still fail.

Cissinho

Taunt seems like it would cripple your team pretty badly. Also, skarmory might not survive long enough to use tailwind.

im not going to reply more to you.. you are only critic with the team and you are not giving help...

You also need a spinner to protect against entry hazards.

yes, i think the same, but i don´t know how i can put a rapid spinner in the team... do you have any idea?