• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Miltank or the Kingdra?

Trainer10913

The Ninja
Whenever I see "Who is the hardest Gym Leader to beat in Johto (or even all of the regions)", and I often see posts like "OMG, Whitney's Miltank is SOOOOOOO hard to beat!", or "I HATE WHITNEY'S MILTANK'S ROLLOUT/STOMP!!1!!1"

But then I often see posts like "I hate Clair's Kingdra! Hydro Pump K.O'ed ALL my team.", or "I hate Clair's Full Restores and Hyper Potions on her BLOODY KINGDRA!

So I want to compare the two. Which do you think is harder to beat, Whitney's Miltank or Clair's Kingdra?

Me? Well, I got through both of them through lucky chances.

Whitney's Miltank I used Shadows' (Gastly) Curse on it, which helped me bring an end to its Rollout spamming pretty easily.

I didn't have Curse by the time I got to Clair, but I used Jaws (Feraligatr) to launch Ice Fang on it. Took away an eighth, but then it FROZE it. Then I just ripped it apart afterwards.

But enough about me. Which do YOU think is harder to beat, Whitney's Miltank or Clair's Kingdra?

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
Whenever I see "Who is the hardest Gym Leader to beat in Johto (or even all of the regions)", and I often see posts like "OMG, Whitney's Miltank is SOOOOOOO hard to beat!", or "I HATE WHITNEY'S MILTANK'S ROLLOUT/STOMP!!1!!1"

But then I often see posts like "I hate Clair's Kingdra! Hydro Pump K.O'ed ALL my team.", or "I hate Clair's Full Restores and Hyper Potions on her BLOODY KINGDRA!

So I want to compare the two. Which do you think is harder to beat, Whitney's Miltank or Clair's Kingdra?

Whitney's Miltank I used Shadows' (Gastly) Curse on it, which helped me bring an end to its Rollout spamming pretty easily.

I didn't have Curse by the time I got to Clair, but I used Jaws (Feraligatr) to launch Ice Fang on it. Took away an eighth, but then it FROZE it. Then I just ripped it apart afterwards.

But enough about me. Which do YOU think is harder to beat, Whitney's Miltank or Clair's Kingdra?

Well, since I found them incredibly easy, I dunno.

I guess Clair...

Really a Leader that was challenging was Pryce due to the Hail he always Sets up.

ohjeezitskim

I don't recall ever having problems with Kingdra.
But my last play through of SS, Whitney's Miltank made me want to rage quit with it's stomp + milk drink + scrappy ability. Rollout didn't give me a problem. It spammed stomp and milk drink... It used milk drink more than 6 times.

Trainer10913

The Ninja
Well, since I found them incredibly easy, I dunno.

I guess Clair...

Really a Leader that was challenging was Pryce due to the Hail he always Sets up.

I guess Pryce was reasonably hard, though I just pummeled through his team with Machoke.

ebevan91

I never had a problem with either, on HG anyway. Don't remember G/S/C. It may have been a little harder because of Attract maybe?

Trainer10913

The Ninja
I don't recall ever having problems with Kingdra.
But my last play through of SS, Whitney's Miltank made me want to rage quit with it's stomp + milk drink + scrappy ability. Rollout didn't give me a problem. It spammed stomp and milk drink... It used milk drink more than 6 times.

Took down my Gastly with one Stomp, lucky I was faster. It didn't use Milk Drink on me. Guess I took it down too fast.

Blazekickblaziken

Snarktastic Ditz
The only time I ever fought Whitney was back in gen 2. And she's the only gym leader I remember fighting after however many years it's been. I remember I beat that miltank by using poison sting until it became poisoned, then using growl until it's attack wouldn't go any lower (or was it the other way around?). It took me a spearow, either both nidoran m and f or one of the nidorans and a weedle, cyndaquil and someother pokemon to beat it.

Dear Whitney, I hate you.

Everlasting

Everything stays.
Whitney wasn't troublesome at all. I mean, during that time, I had three girls (Bayleef, Togetic and Gloom), so Attract was useless. I just used my bulky Bayleef and poisoned it. All I had to do is spamming Magical Leaf.
I have to admit, without any good Dragon type moves, Kingdra is a little bit hard to beat. However, since my Meganium is Sassy, it can resist most of Kingdra' special moves and finish it with Petal Dance.
So Clair's the hardest.

Nyoah

The Dark Azure
never once had a problem against kingdra, miltank however... yeah lets just leave it at that

bolter1

Swampert Trainer
I didn't find either particularly hard, but I'd say Kingdra was harder. I didn't have any Dragon attacks to hit it super effectively, the Dragon Rage it kept using started to add up after a few turns, and Clair was using her potions on top of it all. I had no problems with Miltank, however.

MidnightFennekin

Unwashed skank
The fact it can Heal itself, is generally a good tank, can render your males useless, and doesn't give two sh*ts about your 'fancy Ghostly Normal-Type immunity', as well as Rollout, which racks up tons of damage to kill the f*ck out of you, I'd have to say Miltank is harder.

Ah, if only Ferrothorn existed in Gen V and was in the Johto dex. Ah, Kingdra, you'd be redundant as f*ck.

But Kingdra still gave me problems.

Evilorber

I always get an electric Pokémon so i've never had problems with Kingdra...
But... Whitney's Miltank...

WHITNEY'S MILTANK IS THE DEVIL IN POKÉMON FORM

Many a time i've lost countless 'Mons to Rollout/Milk Drink... and i've NEVER found a good early game fighting type for her... Grrr!

Last edited:

emawerna

Miltank, definitely. After all these years, I still irrationally believe that what I called "Roll away Miltank" is a very strong pokemon. Now that I think about it, I plan to have a "Roll Away Miltank" on my Generation VI team if it is available.

skittlepup

Braixen is MINE ;)
Honestly, I can't remember either battles from the time I played SoulSilver. But I am playing HeartGold now, and I can honestly say that her "dreaded" Miltank wasn't that difficult. It was just annoying 'cuz it spammed Milk Drink, but having Rock Smash on my Quilava made it fine.

SoulMuse

Shadow of nothing
Honestly, neither were that hard for me, but I also went ridiculous lengths to prepare for them. Over leveling to the point of insanity mostly, but in Clair's case, I also was packing a Vaporeon and Dragonair, so smashing Kingdra was something of a foregone conclusion. Milktank, well I honestly have never seen why it is so hated. Just over level some, and play smart.

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
Kingdra, not even a question. Miltank will go down pretyy easy from any move with more than 60 power and from a pokemon at least level 20.

Cherche

Banned
I haven't recalled having trouble with either of them, but I'd say that Clair's Kingdra was just a bit tougher than Whitney's Miltank, & I have some short explanations on both of them.

Whitney's Miltank: In Gen 2, she was absolutely no problem, for two reasons, one being that I had a Female Starter & the fact that I traded for that boys Machop. This was the exact same for Gen 4, with the exception of the Female starter.

Clair's Kingdra: This was a bit harder, albeit not by much, mainly because my Raikou which I overtrained so, so, so much was a good 3 or 4 levels above her Kingdra, so after a few Thundershocks / Thunderbolts & a lucky paralysis, that was the end of that.

Spacialrend

Gallade owns

Wow. That is the exact same strategy I used in my most recent play! Basically for Miltank since she's Normal, Ghost types don't work, so I rely entirely on Curse and a couple uses of Hypnosis. And pretty much when clair sends out anyone after Gyarados, I'd spam Ice Fang.