• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The most annoying tactic you've faced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragonicwari

Artistically angry
Random unexpected fear pokes when I'm running HO

John Wallrein

I am the walrein
Random unexpected fear pokes when I'm running HO

I hate this too. Situations where I should expect the F.E.A.R. but for whatever reason don't pay attention and end up getting my Pokemon crippled/KO'd by a strategy I should have played around.

On this note:
Terrakion. Substitute. Terrakion.
They all piss me the hell off >:I
Yes. How bout substitute terrakion haha. That could work....swords dance sub stone edge close combat...

Oh man, SubSD Terrakion is really annoying for Gliscor. Usually Gliscor can handle Terrakion just fine, but after a Swords Dance, Terrakion's Rock Gem Stone Edge has a decent chance to OHKO the standard Gliscor with no prior damage, a guaranteed OHKO with Stealth Rock IIRC. Substitute really helps by easing prediction as well.

Personally I hate full rain stall, its usually very hard to stop and you have predict on the switch ins to beat it, but it is still hard. And if played well, pretty deadly. Politoed, Tentacruel, Jirachi, Chansey, Dragonite, Ferrothorn usually. Gastrodon, Rotom-w, Jellicent and Celebi are sometimes on them too.

Tonguetyd

Some day I was playing random matchup mode and stumbled upon a clefable that had substitute,minimize,moonlight and metronome.It was harsh to take down.
But my opponent disconnected when the clefable was down.I wasn't very happy.

Aurath8

Jirachi in the Rain. I usually don't run weather and if I am runnig Earthquake, 9 times out of 10 they'll be weak to Water Pulse or HP[Ice]. Even worse if it has a Substitute up and starts CMing. The only thing it fears is SD Scizor but even that won't like a +1 Water Pulse confusing it every other turn. In fact Jirachi and Rain stall on the whole was what originally drove me to the UU tier. No weather to mess stuff up. It's still kinda Stallish with all the hazards but at least it's fairer.

JSteele

Dr. Awesome
there are several pokemon which make me wanna rage quit.

Prankster Sableye
SubProtect Gliscor
Terrakion (it should be uber!)
Calm Mind Slowbro
Hydration Vaporeon w/Roar
Perish Song (always)
Body Slam + Headbutt Jirachi
SubBreloom
A stupid Durant-Chandelure combo i encountered in Ubers, which uses Entrainment to give your pokemon Truant. They then switch to Chandelure, which protects, then Calm Minds during the free turns.

I believe -no offense- that people who use these pokemon have great problems for wanting so bad to win at Pokemon. I dont mind really powerful pokemon, but these things stated above are just retarded and they strip the game of its fun.

^I agree, people should just stop using good sets in general. I mean, what competitive player in their right mind would actually try to play competitively?

JSteele

Dr. Awesome
Yeah, i mean, SD Gliscor or AcroBat obviously cant be competitive.
Also, what good team can be good without a 100% sleep move? Or a 60% flinch rate?

After all, these are sets which need great prediction and strategy! Only an amazing player could ever manage to pull of the amazing Choice Band Terrakion set. Its really hard spamming Close Combats after all!

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
People who use Pokemon that keep on recovering over and over again, along with substitute. That gets on my nerves at times since the wi-fi I have at home isn't the strongest and can drop the signal at times -_-. So running into those kinds of battles can be a hassle.

Uh, no one said other Gliscor sets weren't competitive. But since you mentioned it, AcroBat Gliscor attributes a lot of its success to the ability to set up via Sand Veil hax, which technically makes it less competitive than a set that doesn't rely on hax to get the best results, like SubProtect. And in a fast paced metagame with things like Celebi, Dragonite, Gengar, Gliscor, Gyarados, Jellicent, Landorus, Latios, Latias, Reuniclus, Salamence, Starmie, Tentacruel, Tornadus, and Venusaur running around everywhere in OU, spamming Close Combat is not always a good idea. At all.

Besides, most of the stuff you mentioned isn't even bad. Maybe Terrakion...sometimes...but some of that other stuff? Prankster Sableye is useful at times, but it's pretty frail and fails to really do anything to Pokemon that don't mind a Will-O-Wisp (special attackers, Fire types, Magic Guard/Magic Bounce Pokemon, etc.). SubProtect Gliscor is mainly useful for getting past its usual counters. If it PP stalls some random sweeper, then that's just a bonus. Besides, since it's running Earthquake and Toxic alongside SubProtect, it's walled terribly by Skarmory, Bronzong, any Steel type with a Balloon, and really anything that can take an uninvested Earthquake and knows Taunt. Headbutt Jirachi is just terrible. HydraRest Vaporeon with Roar is hardly a team-sweeping threat. It's just annoying is all. CM Slowbro is always going to have some kind of coverage issues, and it's still going to have problems with Pokemon like Gengar, Jolteon, Magnezone, Breloom, and Rotom-W. Perish Song is useful against Baton Pass teams and as a last-minute resort against Reuniclus on stall teams, and that's about it. Sub Breloom is just another Breloom set. It still has several sturdy counters in OU, plenty to pick from if you really have a problem with it that badly. And that Chandy + Durant combo is a gimmick at best, and it isn't even legal outside of Dream World. But hey, since you seem so upset about the lack of prediction, let's just throw every blasted set that uses Substitute or Protect to ease prediction under the bus too.

And on top of that, people who use those things have a "problem"? No, just...no.

JSteele

Dr. Awesome
I probably didnt make myself clear: I have a problem with anything that makes auto-plays and requires no thinking or strategy. Out of the pokemon i stated above, Gliscor simply does 2-3 ABSOLUTELY standard moves, terrakion just beats stuff and is OP, Breloom just cripples and sets up, etc. I actually think that some of the pokemon i mentioned are not so moronic and they are just annoying, so ill admit i exaggerated a bit.

Also, about Jirachi, i made a typo: i never meant Headbutt, i obviously meant Iron Head.

In order for you to understand what i mean, i must tell you something more: Im a semi-competitive Yu-Gi-Oh player who, in the past year, sees auto-powerful decks which are ALL THE SAME and which are unstoppable. I believe that, just like Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon is also a game which should employ strategy, prediction and obviously some luck, and the strategy part is what makes them fun. So, i believe that NO PERSON in the world could ever feel creative and satisfied when they use ParaFlinching Jirachi or SubSpore Breloom. Thus, since they lack ANY creativity, those people only care for winning and not for the "chess" part. Its like playing PES and choosing Barcelona when your opponent has chosen, say, Tottenham. I mean, OK, youll win. Then what? Whats your creativity? Does the game itself interest you or just the victory?

Personally, i play an OU sandstorm team. Im not saying im Good Guy Greg, but i could easily beat lots of stuff up with a Terrakion, a Landorus or a Lati@s. However, since they are auto-powerful, id rather not use them at all, win less, but at east be creative. Im no hipster, the pokemon i use are still OU and some are very common, but they still have some creativity.

And, yes, i firmly believe that people obsessed with winning have a problem.

Im not trying to preach here, but i just think that people who dont use ANY brain, as well as people who, instead of making their play, only try disrupting the opponents plays shouldnt play at all. Call me an elitist, a scrub or anything you want. Thats just how i see stuff.

Sietse23

*Brainfarts*
Yes, my +6 sp att Latias, opponent sends out Quagsire, Dragon Pulse does 29%, You used Dragon Pulse he uses Curse (I beleive), You used Dragon pulse, he used Recover, -.-

I probably didnt make myself clear: I have a problem with anything that makes auto-plays and requires no thinking or strategy.

Oh, that's good, because nothing on that list of yours falls into that category.

So, i believe that NO PERSON in the world could ever feel creative and satisfied when they use ParaFlinching Jirachi or SubSpore Breloom. Thus, since they lack ANY creativity, those people only care for winning and not for the "chess" part.

Now, this is incredibly subjective, and rather untrue. I personally use Paraflinch Jirachi here and there, and it's very satisfying to watch the opponent's Reuniclus or Latias die to it, especially when I would have been swept otherwise. Besides, winning in general requires strategy (or a boatload of hax, but I digress), so saying that some people would rather win than use strategy really doesn't make sense.

And, yes, i firmly believe that people obsessed with winning have a problem.

Cool, because I firmly believe that people who are obsessed with being creative have a problem too.

Welcome to competitive Pokemon, bro.

Status
Not open for further replies.