• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The most annoying tactic you've faced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zachmac

I probably didnt make myself clear: I have a problem with anything that makes auto-plays and requires no thinking or strategy. Out of the pokemon i stated above, Gliscor simply does 2-3 ABSOLUTELY standard moves, terrakion just beats stuff and is OP, Breloom just cripples and sets up, etc. I actually think that some of the pokemon i mentioned are not so moronic and they are just annoying, so ill admit i exaggerated a bit.
It's not all about the individual set you know. It's about how you play your cards. What you send out and when. If I just picked 6 of the pokemon you listed and threw them in a team together, and played without any thinking, I doubt I'd make it very high onto the ladder.

Say, bulk up Breloom is easily beaten by special attacks. It can boost it's defense and all, but it can't boost it's special defense. It also has a poor offensive move pool, which leads to bad coverage, and also leaves the Latis and D-nite laughing.

Strategy isn't actually all about the individual set, you know.

Ísjaki

Flood Of Red
jesusfreak, i love you

JSteele

Dr. Awesome
Oh, that's good, because nothing on that list of yours falls into that category.

Now, this is incredibly subjective, and rather untrue. I personally use Paraflinch Jirachi here and there, and it's very satisfying to watch the opponent's Reuniclus or Latias die to it, especially when I would have been swept otherwise. Besides, winning in general requires strategy (or a boatload of hax, but I digress), so saying that some people would rather win than use strategy really doesn't make sense.

l, because I firmly believe that people who are obsessed with being creative have a problem too.

Welcome to competitive Pokemon, bro.

a) O RLY? Then tell me how much strategy you need to body slam a pokemon then flinch it to death :D Also, you do have to be very smart to try the 100% accuracy sleep move, dont you.

b) Well, i think i made it clear from the start that it is my opinion, and every persons opinion is obviously 100% subjective. So, personally, id rather let the opponent sweep me with his reuniclus than hax him to death. He deserves to beat me anyway if its come to that point. :D Also, since it does take strategy to win, explain to me the exact strategic thoughts you make in order to ParaFlich the opponents reuniclus. They must be really complicated.

c) Yeeeeah. Being obsessed with being creative and not wanting to use auto-plays are different things arent they. I believe that anyone smarter than an ape can figure that out. I really think you are smarter than an ape, as i dont believe any ape could type a sentence on a keyboard. So, if you just wanna go on with your straw man arguments, you can just go ahead, but you know perfectly well what i mean. ;)

And finally, ive been playing pokemon since RBY and ive played all generations, so i dont think you can really welcome me :)

a) O RLY? Then tell me how much strategy you need to body slam a pokemon then flinch it to death :D Also, you do have to be very smart to try the 100% accuracy sleep move, dont you.

Paraflinch Jirachi is a lot more complex to use effectively than you are making it out to be. Might as well face it, it's a set based on hax, and that means that using such a Jirachi set is going to be a gamble. You've got to know when to hold them and know when to fold them. You might often find yourself in a position where you just can't get the paralysis you're looking for with Body Slam (I swear, it has a 5% paralysis rate when I use it). So do you use Iron Head and hope for a flinch or two, or do you keep trying for paralysis? Heck, I've often found myself in situations where I might be a couple of Iron Heads away from beating, say, a Reuniclus, but they're just one shot away from killing me. Do I go with Iron Head and pray for a flinch? Or do I stall for Leftovers recovery with Protect and risk Reuniclus using Recover? Maybe I could go for Wish, but what if it breaks through paralysis and hits me with Focus Blast?

Since you mention it, there are very few Pokemon sets that are actually going to take a large amount of thinking and prediction to pull off by themselves. Heck, anyone with a basic knowledge of Pokemon could pull off some individual sets just fine. You might have something like Jirachi, which literally spreads status, attacks a few times, and heals when it needs to. Setup sweepers can just force a switch, set up on it, and then attack with whatever is most effective until its forced out or killed. Mixed or 4 Attacks sweepers may have one of their attacks absorbed by a Pokemon (i.e. Skarm switches into MixMence's Earthquake), but then they can just follow up with another effective attack and finish it off (i.e. MixMence kills of Skarm with Fire Blast). In fact, the only kind of sets that really require a decent amount of thinking, planning, and prediction the majority of the time by themselves is Choice sets, since you have to pick one move to be trapped into and deal with it.

The difference is that in competitive Pokemon, team synergy is the key. You are only going to be able to see a full strategy when you take the entire team into account. Any fool can take a Jellicent and spam Will-O-Wisps and Scalds, Recovering when its HP gets low. But it takes a skilled and keen player to predict when the opponent might send in a counter and what decision to make to handle the opponent's next move. You mentioned a chess game, and I think it's a good analogy. You might see someone moving their queen around and think that they aren't using as much strategy as a piece like the knight, which is much more restricted and specific in its moves. However, you are never going to see the strategy until you look at the full board and how the player sets up their entire set of pieces. Chess games are very rarely won with only one piece, and it takes at least two to get checkmate 99% of the time.

As far as throwing around Spore, you see that on more than just Sub Breloom, but even then you have to predict well. You only get one shot with Spore, so what happens if you put the wrong thing to sleep? Experienced players know how to designate "sleep fodder," which will allow them to take the sleep with a Pokemon that they may not really need to beat the opponent's team. It's hardly a brainless operation.

b) Well, i think i made it clear from the start that it is my opinion, and every persons opinion is obviously 100% subjective. So, personally, id rather let the opponent sweep me with his reuniclus than hax him to death. He deserves to beat me anyway if its come to that point. :D Also, since it does take strategy to win, explain to me the exact strategic thoughts you make in order to ParaFlich the opponents reuniclus. They must be really complicated.

Pretty simple, actually. Hit Reuniclus with Body Slam until it's paralyzed, Iron Head to flinch as much as possible until it's dead, and Wish + Protect when your HP gets low. The thing is, how exactly is Reuniclus's agenda any more strategic? Throw up Calm Minds until you think you've got enough, spam Focus Blast/Shadow Ball until Jirachi dies, and Recover when your HP gets low.

c) Yeeeeah. Being obsessed with being creative and not wanting to use auto-plays are different things arent they. I believe that anyone smarter than an ape can figure that out. I really think you are smarter than an ape, as i dont believe any ape could type a sentence on a keyboard. So, if you just wanna go on with your straw man arguments, you can just go ahead, but you know perfectly well what i mean. ;)

Hmm, not so much a straw man argument as a combination of satire and hyperbole. I was simply addressing your own comment about people using whatever sets as "obsessed with winning," which is nothing more than a question begging epithet and a broad generalization. Many players use things like specially defensive Jirachi (i.e. paraflinch), Terrakion, Breloom with Sub, and SubProtect Gliscor, and there are a good few others that utilize things like Perish Song, Sableye, and CM Slowbro. They are viable sets for the most part, and they all have specific roles and niches that are useful to take advantage of. However, very, very few of those people that use those sets are just obsessed with winning. I have used almost everything you named on that list, and I hardly even take competitive laddering seriously anymore. Not to mention that some of those things you mentioned are hardly easy to use in OU and require a person with a good amount of skill and experience to use effectively.

It's funny you mentioned an ape typing on a keyboard, because when you say "auto-play," you're implying a Pokemon set that could be used to succeed in battle even if the player were an ape randomly hitting buttons. There are no auto-plays in competitive Pokemon. Period. There is no such thing as a Pokemon set that can be used to guarantee success with no thought, just random button pressing. You might think of paraflinch Jirachi as nothing more than a set with a simple checklist that a player follows to succeed, but, as I've already demonstrated, most other sets can be classified the same way. Again, one competitive Pokemon set is hardly going to be more strategic than another; you have to take into account the entire team before the real extent of the strategy can be shown.

irock245

She wants it
there are several pokemon which make me wanna rage quit.

Prankster Sableye special attacker without setup. Problem pretty much solved, especially if you do over 60% or damage. Latias works pretty well, since
SubProtect GliscorNot common, and gengar can stop it, also rotom-W and pretty much any special attacker resistant or immune to ground types can. Ice fang (if used on this set) is weak as hell anyways.
Terrakion (it should be uber!) Are you ****nig kidding me. Bullet punch, most of the time locked into one move, and sub+disable gengar counters any set cold when switching into Close Combat. This guy will never be uber. NEVER.
Calm Mind Slowbro Ok, actually not much expirence with this, but still easy as hell to beat.
Hydration Vaporeon w/Roar I've ran into many vaporeons, and only one has used roar. It's still pretty easy to beat since it's can't do anything to rotom-W
Perish Song (always)only useful if you have one pokemon left. This is about the only thing you got right out of all these things though.
Body Slam + Headbutt Jirachi Lol. No good players uses Headbutt and Body slam on jirachi. Had you said iron head over headbutt I would have to agree with you here too.
SubBreloomI guess you mean Sub+punch breloom, which gengar STILL counters? Man, many things on this list can be countered with gengar, you might want to add him onto your next team to deal with this stuff.
A stupid Durant-Chandelure combo i encountered in Ubers, which uses Entrainment to give your pokemon Truant. They then switch to Chandelure, which protects, then Calm Minds during the free turns.Gimmicky as hell, and pretty easy to work around. If you really can't predict the ovbious switch you might want to stop playing ubers. It's super rare in ubers too considering how powerful uber pokemon are.

I believe -no offense- that people who use these pokemon have great problems for wanting so bad to win at Pokemon. I dont mind really powerful pokemon, but these things stated above are just retarded and they strip the game of its fun.
No offense, but leave competitive pokemon now. Competitive pokemon is basically trying to win with whatever works the best to beat your opponents. It's balanced enough that creativity can flourish, but the main strategies for pokemon are used for a reason. They help you win. Apperently then everybody who plays competitive have great problems, since that's what you try to do at competitive pokemon. You try to win.

I love how Bh (or whatever mod is) is deleting the good arguements in the threads. :(

JSteele

Dr. Awesome
I never said that these pokemon are unstoppable. I just said that they are annoying, automatic and that no person can find using them amusing. This way, since somebody uses them without being amused and without enjoying the game, he only uses them for winning. Also, I gotta admit -and i admitted it before- that i exaggerated a lot and mixed pokemon that are simply annoying with pokemon that are no-brainers.
About the Durant combo, i only fell for it the first time i encountered it, and from then on i obviously learnt how to counter it, like any non-retarded person would. :p However, i still believe that the person who uses it is a bad player, who obviously doesnt enjoy the game and only desperately wants to win.

Also, some disagreements about the counters you proposed:

SubProtect Gliscor: it can still toxic stall, EQ and Ice Fang arent a gliscors only way of inflicting damage.
Jirachi: I obviously meant Iron Head

Also, if i were allowed 8 pokemon, id probably used Gengar, but the 6 spots are just too tight for him to fit.

I honestly believe most of you guys misintepreted what i try to say and you are offended for no real reason.

irock245

She wants it
I never said that these pokemon are unstoppable. I just said that they are annoying, automatic and that no person can find using them amusing. This way, since somebody uses them without being amused and without enjoying the game, he only uses them for winning. Also, I gotta admit -and i admitted it before- that i exaggerated a lot and mixed pokemon that are simply annoying with pokemon that are no-brainers.
About the Durant combo, i only fell for it the first time i encountered it, and from then on i obviously learnt how to counter it, like any non-retarded person would. :p However, i still believe that the person who uses it is a bad player, who obviously doesnt enjoy the game and only desperately wants to win.

Also, some disagreements about the counters you proposed:

SubProtect Gliscor: it can still toxic stall, EQ and Ice Fang arent a gliscors only way of inflicting damage.
Jirachi: I obviously meant Iron Head

Also, if i were allowed 8 pokemon, id probably used Gengar, but the 6 spots are just too tight for him to fit.

I honestly believe most of you guys misintepreted what i try to say and you are offended for no real reason.

Just saying, no-brainers are pokemon who have their intentions ovbious. Chansey will always be a wall, unless trollfreak makes an item specifically for chansey that gives it +6 sp atk if it holds it, has defensives benefit, and heals. :p Terakion is somewhat ovbious, but you can always expect close combat and stone edge.

Gengar is a boss. I wonder why nobody seems to prepare for them.

As for the gliuscor arguement, All of them carry EQ, they might not carry ice fang, but those two moves work well together, and that's why I said that.

I know you meant iron head, but i couldn't really be bothered to change it.

I have to disagree with you on the chandy+durant. It's a potent combination if you can actually set it up, because that's why people use it. It can actually do a boatload of damage, possible to the point of turning a loss into a win for yourself.

I personally find terakion amusing. It's fun to sweep with him. Many sweepers are clear and cut with their objectives in a battle.

Al least you admitted you overreacted, you're fine. Just remember that people play competitive pokemon to win. If you want to be creative it's your way to play. As for me, i'll stick on the path of trying to win with whatever works well together. :p

JSteele

Dr. Awesome
Only something about the first thing, regarding no-brainers: I never complained about chansey. However Gliscor, for instance, can still wall most physical threats with a SD set, without necessarily being annoying and no-brain. Also, SubProtect Gliscors ALWAYS use Toxic, and thats why i corrected you.

Personally, i have prepeared for Gengar and i find it very amusing when he is crunched by my ScarfTar. :p For some reason nobody expects it.

And finally, of course every competitive player wants to win, but sometimes its just better to win in the slightly more creative way. Personally, for instance, i have some moderate success @ PO, since im mostly between 1280-1310 points, without using no-brainer pokemon. I dont mean creative as in Specs Machamp and defensive darmanitan. I just mean to use stuff that requires some thinking. :)

Zachmac

I just mean to use stuff that requires some thinking.
I'd like to see this team of yours. You'll have to list off the sets before I can actually believe this.
Personally, i have prepeared for Gengar and i find it very amusing when he is crunched by my ScarfTar. :p For some reason nobody expects it.
Oh, I'm sure using crunch on a Gengar is such a complicated process.

JSteele

Dr. Awesome
Well, even crunching a gengar requires some thinking, at least i have to choose a separate move for each different pokemon. Which Jirachi and Breloom dont do.

If you could bother reading my comments above you would eventually figure out what i mean by "creative" and "thinking".

Zachmac

^and jsteele, you dont like any poke thats overused, like scizor, rotom-w, vaporeon, etc. correct?
Tyranitar is still OU.
If you could bother reading my comments above you would eventually figure out what i mean by "creative" and "thinking".
Well, even crunching a gengar requires some thinking, at least i have to choose a separate move for each different pokemon. Which Jirachi and Breloom dont do.

I am reading your comments, and I do know what you mean. I'm just saying T-tar is no more harder to pull off then Jirachi and Breloom. I use Jirachi all the time, and I also use scarf pokemon of all sorts. There is nothing challenging about each individual set.

Edit: Reading your latest RMT as of this moment. I think this set sticks out to me the most.
Reuniclus @Life Orb
Magic Guard
192 HP / 64 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet (-Spe, +SpA)

Trick Room
Psyshock
Focus Blast
Shadow Ball
Yeah, trick room and then select the appropriate attack. Such a complicated set with such a complicated strategy. It's even harder to use correctly then a Sableye!

I've used Jirachi, I've used SD Gliscor, Sub Gyarados, Offensive Heatran, and Calm Mind Virizion before. I've also used specially defensive Jirachi(the most common set). They're all pretty strait forward, to be honest.

JSteele

Dr. Awesome
All my team is made of overused pokemon so obviously i dont dislike all of them :D. I dont have something against scizor and rotom-w, i just wouldnt put VoltTurn in my team cause im too fed up of people using it so i wouldnt use it in my team, especially since i can play decently without it. Why are you asking?

JSteele

Dr. Awesome
Tyranitar is still OU.Well, even crunching a gengar requires some thinking, at least i have to choose a separate move for each different pokemon. Which Jirachi and Breloom dont do.

I am reading your comments, and I do know what you mean. I'm just saying T-tar is no more harder to pull off then Jirachi and Breloom.

It is more creative. Jirachi and Breloom will do the SAME moves no matter the opponent. Tyranitar would at least bother predicting what to do against whom, so he needs a 0.4% thought, while Jirachi and Breloom need a 0.000001%, just enough to press the Spore/Body Slam button. And, PLEASE, im not saying this offensively, but dont make me say the SAME things again. I mean PLEASE, im just sooo tired im gonna start copy pasting :p

Zachmac

It is more creative. Jirachi and Breloom will do the SAME moves no matter the opponent. Tyranitar would at least bother predicting what to do against whom, so he needs a 0.4% thought, while Jirachi and Breloom need a 0.000001%, just enough to press the Spore/Body Slam button. And, PLEASE, im not saying this offensively, but dont make me say the SAME things again. I mean PLEASE, im just sooo tired im gonna start copy pasting :p
I've never used Breloom, but I can tell you Jirachi isn't as easy as you make it out to be. I would like to argue myself, but quoting Jesusfreak would be easier.
. You might often find yourself in a position where you just can't get the paralysis you're looking for with Body Slam (I swear, it has a 5% paralysis rate when I use it). So do you use Iron Head and hope for a flinch or two, or do you keep trying for paralysis? Heck, I've often found myself in situations where I might be a couple of Iron Heads away from beating, say, a Reuniclus, but they're just one shot away from killing me. Do I go with Iron Head and pray for a flinch? Or do I stall for Leftovers recovery with Protect and risk Reuniclus using Recover? Maybe I could go for Wish, but what if it breaks through paralysis and hits me with Focus Blast?
I have two teams with Jirachi, and I'm using one of them right now. A lot. I can tell you, this happens quite a bit.

But anyway, you're arguing that your 0.4% is better then a 0.1%. I don't think those numbers are actually accurate(both should actually bigger), I will have to say that makes this whole argument kind of silly. You're arguing with such small percentages it doesn't even matter.
I mean PLEASE, im just sooo tired im gonna start copy pasting :p
Well, you don't need to, because you're argument isn't convincing me anyway.

Yes, the pokemon you listed are annoying(I hate band Terrakion myself), but that doesn't mean they take any less thinking. Most of the pokemon you listed just play differently then most. Will-o-Wisp always hitting first? Body Slam paralyzing and flinching 60% of the time? A move with a 100% sleep chance? They're fight differently then how most pokemon fight, and they do it in annoying ways.

While fighting with enemy Breloom, I've wound up in some mental wars. They want to put my Salamence or Latias asleep so they can safely set up, but I've got a "sleep fodder", which Jesusfreak brought up earlier. Putting an enemy to sleep sounds easy, but you can only do it to one pokemon.

irock245

She wants it
Just wanna say any choiced pokemon immediatly requires thinking and prediction. If you pick close combat to kill that heatran and you get switched into a jellicent you gotta switch, when stone dge would solve that problem. But that stone edge could be taken by that raondom steelix your opponent is using for lost heroes challenge. Just saying an example of choiced pokemon requiring prediction and thinking.

JSteele

Dr. Awesome
a) I have used Jirachi and he was my MVP for the battles i used him. And i did NOTHING more than Body Slam - Iron Head - Wish when i run low on HP. And then i figured out i was just bored to death and removed it.

b) well, for me these numbers do matter, for you they dont.

c) you probably mean "YOUR argument". Also, dont you think saying you wont be convinced anyway is kinda immature? First read them then decide whether youll be convinced or not :).

d) just above, you said there is a difference: Regular pokemon need 0,4, these ones need 0,1. Now you say they dont. I believe our only disagreement is whether that difference is important or not. Personally, i believe it is. Whats the big deal?

Im going to bed, so ill reply tommorow to the rest hate posts that emerge :)

Status
Not open for further replies.