• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Most Kaiju pokemon?

Aduro

Mt.BtlMaster
Pokemon has always shared a good chunk of its fanbase with Kaiju. Giant monsters such as Godzilla, Rodan or Ghidora.
Since Dynamax was introduced, the comparisons have been made even clearer, with Butterfree being compared to Mothra and Drednaw being compared to Gamera.

Which pokemon do you think have been most heavily influenced by or are the most similar to your favourite Kaiju? Are there any pokemon that you'd like to g-max because they resemble the kaiju.

For instance Tyranitar is clearly influenced heavily by Godzilla, from its colour scheme, to its shape, to its use of hyper beam in the anime to emulate Godzilla's nuclear breath. I'd love to see a G-Max TTar that looks even more like Godzilla.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I'd say Tyranitar is the most Kaiju Pokémon. It so obviously looks a little like Godzilla. Maybe Tyranitar could be able to learn Dragon Breath in a future generation, because then it'd be like Godzilla's atomic breath? :D

Hydreigon is basically if Ghidorah were a Pokémon. I think Dustox, Mothim or Frosmoth would look more like Mothra than Butterfree does.

Reinhardt

You! Me! Rivals! Yes?
A lot of the Gen 3, 4 and 5 Legendaries have a Kaiju vibe to them, specifically the Hoenn Weather Trio, the Regis, the Sinnoh Creation Trio, Arceus and the Unova Dragons. I could picture Groudon and Kyogre trashing a city with earthquakes and tidal waves, then Rayquaza comes down from the sky, defeats them both and saves the day. I'm sure that's happened in the anime at least once, but I haven't watched enough of the post-Johto anime to really know, but it sounds like a good enough action set-piece for a Kaiju film.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
I'd say Tyranitar is the most Kaiju Pokémon. It so obviously looks a little like Godzilla. Maybe Tyranitar could be able to learn Dragon Breath in a future generation, because then it'd be like Godzilla's atomic breath? :D

Tyranitar does learn Flamethrower and Fire Blast, but actually most Kaiju-like Pokemon do (including things like Slowbro and Rhydon). They also mostly learn Surf, probably a reference to how Kaiju usually come from the sea in movies, and also the explanation for why Rhydon and Tyranitar can learn Surf despite being extremely heavy and relatively unathletic Rock-types.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
A lot of the Gen 3, 4 and 5 Legendaries have a Kaiju vibe to them, specifically the Hoenn Weather Trio, the Regis, the Sinnoh Creation Trio, Arceus and the Unova Dragons. I could picture Groudon and Kyogre trashing a city with earthquakes and tidal waves, then Rayquaza comes down from the sky, defeats them both and saves the day. I'm sure that's happened in the anime at least once, but I haven't watched enough of the post-Johto anime to really know, but it sounds like a good enough action set-piece for a Kaiju film.

The anime episode with Groudon and Kyogre is basically a Kaiju movie with Pokémon. Although Groudon and Kyogre didn't really start fighting on their own accord, Team Magma and Team Aqua forced them to.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Akuziking (Guzzlord) suddenly sprung to mind considering how it's one of the most monster-like Pokemon in the franchise, and it has a reputation as a glutton. I can imagine it devouring whole cities.

Aduro

Mt.BtlMaster
The anime episode with Groudon and Kyogre is basically a Kaiju movie with Pokémon. Although Groudon and Kyogre didn't really start fighting on their own accord, Team Magma and Team Aqua forced them to.
I would say that Aqua and Magma's involvement makes it more like a kaiju movie.
Kaiju tend to fight for reasons related to humans. Even if Aqua and Magma are trying to be militant environmentalists, they are basically arrogant humans meddling with nature which causes kaiju fights.

2000 was also a definite Kaiju movie.
Human technology creates an environmental disaster and a war between a bunch of giant. mysterious creatures with the power to threaten the world. Which is only ultimately resolved when more compassionate humans, (children, scientists and traditionalists) team up with a kaiju that is willing to give humanity another chance. The only difference is that Lawrence annoyed the birds by capturing them, while humans usually ignorantly awaken kaiju through something like a nuclear weapons test.

Reinhardt

You! Me! Rivals! Yes?
Aside from the ones people have already mentioned, could Duraludon count? I get the feeling part of its design was based on Mechagodzilla and the website says it's a rival of Tyranitar, who itself has Godzilla inspiration.
It certainly looks like an old-fashioned Kaiju (badly made costume), so I'd say Duraludon counts. Though Gigantamax Pikachu is the best Kaiju of Gen 8. Imagine that monstrosity emerging out of the sea, looming over the city and causing the ground to shake with its deafening "PEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE". Stuff of nightmares.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Nidoking, Nidoqueen, Rhydon, Kangaskhan, Tyranitar... Even Venomoth, I guess.

Venomoth because of Mothra?

Aside from the ones people have already mentioned, could Duraludon count? I get the feeling part of its design was based on Mechagodzilla and the website says it's a rival of Tyranitar, who itself has Godzilla inspiration.

Duraludon is actually based on the Shard, a skyscraper in London and the tallest building in Britain, combined with a typical Kaiju monster, but I could see Mechagodzilla being its inspiration too.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Groudon, Kyogre and Rayquaza definitely comes to mind. I remember in the Pokemon Adventures manga where the battle-crazed Groudon and Kyogre devastate Sootopolis City with tsunamis and earthquakes, amassing the entire Hoenn region in natural disasters that puts the Gym Leader, Elite Four members and Pokemon Champion on the alert. Then Rayquaza comes down from the heavens just like how fans imagined Rayquaza would from the Pokemon Emerald cutscene, overwhelms the two to the point they just give up and saves the day. Easily one of the most legendary Pokemon battles in Pokemon series history and the thing is the writer and artist of Pokemon Adventures are absolutely HUGE Kaiju movie fans. In Pokemon Adventures, when you see two giant Pokemon battling, you can tell it's going to be awesome.

With that being said, Zygarde Complete Form and Ultra Necrozma definitely fits the theme of a Kaiju-themed Pokemon. In Pokemon Adventures, holy ****, Zygarde vs. Necrozma! Also this isn't really a spoiler because the legendary battle between Zygarde Complete Forme and Ultra Necrozma was officially spoiled on the cover of Sun & Moon Vol. 6 but I will keep it as vague as possible. I freaking love this fight as short as it was. See the Blinding One practically say, "Come at me Bro!" to Zygarde after besting Lunala and Solgaleo. See a Dragon Megazord wrestle a Super-Saiyan Dragon God. See Ultra Necrozma force Zygade to adapt from land to the freaking skies in the craziest mind-boggling way possible. This Kaiju-inspired battle is not afraid to be ridiculous, it embraces it with pride like a video game that you can't help but think this is so dumb but so cool! I cannot wait for the complete version of the battle when the full volume releases come out and with that being said, I think you guys can get an idea why I think Zygarde and Necrozma are very fitting as Kaiju Pokemon.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Tyranitar is extremely obvious a choice. And Hydreigon is clearly King Ghidorah

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Tyranitar because it looks like Godzilla. Also Garchomp could easily pass for some kind of kaiju too and so can most Dragon types like Dragonite and Salamence.

Dragonite looks a bit too friendly to be a big bad Kaiju. Eternatus could probably be a Kaiju as well, because it can single-handedly take down the power grid of an entire region.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
Charizard. I'd love for it to have G-Max.