• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Most Mistreated Ash's Companions

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
So... How would a Brock/Mallow shipping be called? WastedExistancesShipping?

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Serena is mistreated. Shes the only one without a special or a cameo episode.
Even the blue fish girl and the kitchen girl and the electric unpleasant looking kid got a cameo.
And also the way they neglected her for so long in year 1 of XY that even a gym leader that wasn't even apart of the main cast got a 5 episode arc when Serena (and Clemont) needed it the most.

Morax

King of heroes
Serena is mistreated. Shes the only one without a special or a cameo episode.
Even the blue fish girl and the kitchen girl and the electric unpleasant looking kid got a cameo.
Cameos are worthless. Coming back only to get your ass kicked? No thanks

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Y'all hate on mallow too much. She did have her goal development episodes too, it's just her goal was such that not much focus could be given tbh
She still had an amazing personality imo, great charisma and chemistry with the cast. Especially Lana and Ash. I loved Ash and Mallow's interactions a lot, they were cute together
I love Mallow, she's a queen for me
As for Brock, I agree that AG Brock is worse than DP Brock. While DP Brock still was more in the background he had much more interesting Pokémon, more of a role thanks to uxie and actually showing more of his breeding role and it developing into his doctor goal

DatsRight

Mallow kinda felt dull at first, her personality started off energetic and willing to take action in things but similar to Misty she became more passive and in background, but at an even quicker pace. Nearly all her episodes were the most formulaic in a series that was more character driven and even in terms of its comedy and antics, Mallow did the least. They weren't great at making her cooking occupation compelling either, which is odd because they've had tons of chef COTD.

I feel like around the time she got Shaymin this changed and they started trying to give her more compelling limelight, even if it still kinda felt like just the baseline. I think if she'd been that level earlier she'd have been okay.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Mallow kinda felt dull at first, her personality started off energetic and willing to take action in things but similar to Misty she became more passive and in background, but at an even quicker pace. Nearly all her episodes were the most formulaic in a series that was more character driven and even in terms of its comedy and antics, Mallow did the least. They weren't great at making her cooking occupation compelling either, which is odd because they've had tons of chef COTD.

I feel like around the time she got Shaymin this changed and they started trying to give her more compelling limelight, even if it still kinda felt like just the baseline. I think if she'd been that level earlier she'd have been okay.
Heck in earlier episodes her personality shined through the most in my opinion. A good thing about SM was that even when a character didnt have his/her focus episode they werent just background fodder for most of the time, and so Mallow had lots of instances to interact with the cast still

DatsRight

Heck in earlier episodes her personality shined through the most in my opinion. A good thing about SM was that even when a character didnt have his/her focus episode they werent just background fodder for most of the time, and so Mallow had lots of instances to interact with the cast still
Earlier on she was more energetic and since Ash hadn't fully set into the group, she was a bit more proactive in deciding what everyone could do.

I think after Ash started to fit in as the leader of the group, that's when Mallow suffered, since Ash was also pretty colourful as a supporting character in SM. I remember a lot of fans being excited about her in the first few episodes of the series but then starting to notice problems when her first limelight episode was much later than everyone else's and didn't show as much promise.

It's a shame they didn't do a lot of girl trio episodes in SM like they did the boy trio. That did a lot of good for Kiawe and Sophocles since they had a good dynamic with themselves and Ash and could keep finding little ways to mesh their roles and development.

Dynamic_Fusion

HIKARI HYPE
For a Character to be mistreated, the Staff needs to care about that Character in the first place just like how you can't mistreat someone whom you don't like (because that is always the way you behave with them). So my answer would be BW Satoshi, Cilan, Iris & Koharu.

Epicocity

Now Iris' a champion it's definitely Tracey.
I don't know if we can count Iris out for two reasons:
1) We never saw how she became Champion and Drayden's explanation basically amounts to "she felt harder".
2) She's not a Dragon Master yet, and while Axew evolved, it was all entirely offscreen.

Kuzehiko

That moment I found a lifetime treasure
Even so, he still got to fulfill a dream while Max just got crapped on lol
I mean he was still a kid and not a trainer.
Not much could be done about it. That said, I think he got an amount fair of spotlight in AG. Even M6 is focused on him and that's a great accomplishment as all movies focus solely on Ash lol.

I don't know if we can count Iris out for two reasons:
1) We never saw how she became Champion and Drayden's explanation basically amounts to "she felt harder".
2) She's not a Dragon Master yet, and while Axew evolved, it was all entirely offscreen.
Yes, I know we didn't see her become a champion and we will never see it.
So this is on-screen only treatment? In that case I'd agree with you but if it is for the character overall then I don't, Iris' a champion and that does not make badly treated as the writers gave her that treatment, and they decided to have her become a champion.

I know she has not achieved her main goal but are we gonna pretend that becoming a regional champion is not a big accomplishment? Come on.

Epicocity

Yes, I know we didn't see her become a champion and we will never see it.
So this is on-screen only treatment? In that case I'd agree with you but if it is for the character overall then I don't, Iris' a champion and that does not make badly treated as the writers gave her that treatment, and they decided to have her become a champion.

I know she has not achieved her main goal but are we gonna pretend that becoming a regional champion is not a big accomplishment? Come on.
Personally, treating a character well means developing them well. You can only develop well when it happens on-screen. Something happening off-screen with the vaguest of explanations is just handing a character something.

And especially in Iris's case she never even showed a want to become Champion so it seems weird that she suddenly is other than "games".

Characters need more than a high position to have been treated well.