• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The MOTHER / EarthBound Series Club

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shayminslicker

Comes out of Nowhere
Guys, do you think Mother 1 or 3 will be rereleased on the Virtual Console? (I made the topic! ^^)

Yes I do think they will bring it to the virtual console.....but on one condition. I bet the whole game will be in Japanese. Mainly because whenever we got a Japanese game on the Wii U's virtual console it was most likely in Japanese.

But I don't know. Maybe they might translate it.

LeafeonTheVoid

New changes
Yes I do think they will bring it to the virtual console.....but on one condition. I bet the whole game will be in Japanese. Mainly because whenever we got a Japanese game on the Wii U's virtual console it was most likely in Japanese.

But I don't know. Maybe they might translate it.

That wouldn't make much sense for them to actually bring the title to virtual console but not translate it so everyone can actually play through the story. I think it's just as Mew and Zorua stated.

It's like Land Stalker and Lady Stalker (Ooooold games, I know) for the sega system and how the former came here but the second title to the series did not. Just as many game series has done.. not to say i don't hope for the title to come, I most certainly pray to Arceus it does!

Last edited:

Cresselia92

SM Ash = New Ash
This whole MOTHER (3) talk reminded me the little Easter Egg present during the E3 Direct. If I'm not mistaken, there was a bit at the beginning where there was the joke about a fan asking for the MOTHER 3 release. So... I think that Nintendo is somewaht aware of this wish. Not saying that this raises its chances, but it's interesting nonetheless.

Shayminslicker

Comes out of Nowhere
That wouldn't make much sense for them to actually bring the title to virtual console but not translate it so everyone can actually play through the story. I think it's just as Mew and Zorua stated.

It's like Land Stalker and Lady Stalker (Ooooold games, I know) for the sega system and how the former came here but the second title to the series did not. Just as many game series has done.. not to say i don't hope for the title to come, I most certainly pray to Arceus it does!

It doesn't make sense, but it can happen. I know a game that was on the Wii's VC and it was completely in Japanese. I was thinking that maybe they would do that if they re release Mother 1 and 3. But who knows?

LeafeonTheVoid

New changes
It doesn't make sense, but it can happen. I know a game that was on the Wii's VC and it was completely in Japanese. I was thinking that maybe they would do that if they re release Mother 1 and 3. But who knows?

Really? All Japanese and no planned translation? :O

Speaking of Mother 3, does anyone think Lucas will make a return to Smash?

Mew The Gato

While bringing it there in Japanese would be better than nothing, especially since MOTHER 3's fanbase is much larger outside Japan than inside it, it personally would not matter to me whether it is released on the Virtual Console or not unless it is translated, considering I would not be able to actually play the game in either case. I want to see how they would handle the game, what they would change, what they would censor (And their inevitable mistakes), as Tomato's Legends of Localization site has already listed for each part of EarthBound. There are also the technical issues while translating the game to English, and I would like to see what they do with them. They did not know how to fix the battle system in EarthBound, for one, making the text arrangement somewhat strange, a problem that the fan translation for MOTHER 3 has fixed. Would they change MOTHER 3 to EarthBound 2 if this happens? Would we get an actually good logo, unlike the fanmade attempts at making one for EarthBound 2? Or is it because of all these concerns that they are reluctant to translate it? There are lots of questions.

LeafeonTheVoid

New changes
While bringing it there in Japanese would be better than nothing, especially since MOTHER 3's fanbase is much larger outside Japan than inside it, it personally would not matter to me whether it is released on the Virtual Console or not unless it is translated, considering I would not be able to actually play the game in either case. I want to see how they would handle the game, what they would change, what they would censor (And their inevitable mistakes), as Tomato's Legends of Localization site has already listed for each part of EarthBound. There are also the technical issues while translating the game to English, and I would like to see what they do with them. They did not know how to fix the battle system in EarthBound, for one, making the text arrangement somewhat strange, a problem that the fan translation for MOTHER 3 has fixed. Would they change MOTHER 3 to EarthBound 2 if this happens? Would we get an actually good logo, unlike the fanmade attempts at making one for EarthBound 2? Or is it because of all these concerns that they are reluctant to translate it? There are lots of questions.

Wow, you brought up a lot of good points! That does explain the slightly weird arrangement of battle icons in Earthbound though. Glad I wasn't just going nuts. I think if the title did reach us it would be renamed Earthbound 2. Heck, it could be in the works as we speak (hopefully). Though Itoi has all but confirmed he's done with the series. On the plus side, he pretty much supports the fan-made title coming out soon so that's a plus.

Shayminslicker

Comes out of Nowhere
Really? All Japanese and no planned translation? :O

Speaking of Mother 3, does anyone think Lucas will make a return to Smash?

That's right no planned translation. They just threw it onto the Wii shop channel. It was an SNES platformer, but I don't think that really makes a difference.

I hope he returns to smash, but I don't really seem him returning to be honest with you. Actually i'll be happy if there's any Earthbound characters in the new smash. I say this because there's only two related things in the game so far the resemble earthbound (Franklin Badge and Mr. Saturn) and the fact that the game has been announced for a year now. (Close to the Japanese release)

Trickster Zorua

AMUSING STARTER FTW
Look uhm, about Lucas' return, I don't think so. For one, there's been the ESRB leak (was actually leaked by a Nintendo Employee), showing of the roster with all characters, but 6 open spots, but probably one is gonna be for unlockable Random button, However, only Ness appeared in that roster. Nothing of that leak is yet false, same Shulk render as the announced one of today, and Nintendo of America REMOVED leak footages of it, infringing copyright. But they did not so with other leaks! And secondly: Mother 3 was joked about,but no rerelease is announced...

Mew The Gato

It is fine if you mention it, but do not let the entirety of your posts involve it. Anyway, unless there is downloadable content (The leak that indicated the existence of downloadable content had nothing to do with the roster leak, and has been proven false, but the possibility of downloadable content is still there), Lucas has most likely been cut. We get Dr. Mario instead.

What do you think about the Apple of Enlightenment?

A fact that some fans do not know is that the Apple of Enlightenment is actually a machine that can apparently predict the future, and Giygas has it. There is not much more information about it. The fact that it is a machine is not stated in EarthBound, but only MOTHER 2, causing some fans to speculate that... Apple Kid is somehow the Apple of Enlightenment.

Although it is strange how Apple Kid seems to actually have clairvoyance, considering he seems to know what is going on even when he has no way to; he invents the Pencil Eraser, the Zombie Paper (Which is actually also a machine, as stated in MOTHER 2, not just oversized fly paper, which is why other beings do not get stuck in it), the Trout Yogurt Dispenser and the Eraser Eraser at near-perfect points of time.

Last edited:

Minedreigon

A monument to all your sins
The theory makes so much sense. As you've already stated it all seems to fit so I'm not opposed to the theory at all. Knowing Nintendo though, there's probably some other, additional meaning to the Apple of Enlightenment.

I know we aren't suppost to mention Smash, but I haven't yet. Lucas getting cut isn't that much of a shame tbh, he was just a faster, weaker Ness with a different move set. However, with combo grabs out of the way, Ness is no longer weak to Death Grabs :]

Trickster Zorua

AMUSING STARTER FTW

A fact that some fans do not know is that the Apple of Enlightenment is actually a machine that can apparently predict the future, and Giygas has it. There is not much more information about it. The fact that it is a machine is not stated in EarthBound, but only MOTHER 2, causing some fans to speculate that... Apple Kid is somehow the Apple of Enlightenment.

Although it is strange how Apple Kid seems to actually have clairvoyance, considering he seems to know what is going on even when he has no way to; he invents the Pencil Eraser, the Zombie Paper (Which is actually also a machine, as stated in MOTHER 2, not just oversized fly paper, which is why other beings do not get stuck in it), the Trout Yogurt Dispenser and the Eraser Eraser at near-perfect points of time.

That's a very interesting theory... I never heard of it earlier! It makes perfect sense, only I was thinking... Could he have made the Devil's Machine? Both are machines, in possess of Gigyas. And, the Apple of Enlightenment forecasts the prophecy of a young boy (Ness), the Devil's Machine appears to show a face, what looks like, of Ness.

Mew The Gato

That's a very interesting theory... I never heard of it earlier! It makes perfect sense, only I was thinking... Could he have made the Devil's Machine? Both are machines, in possess of Gigyas. And, the Apple of Enlightenment forecasts the prophecy of a young boy (Ness), the Devil's Machine appears to show a face, what looks like, of Ness.

Unless Apple Kid was initially a double agent, who later converted fully to the Chosen Four's side, the only way this is possible is if Apple Kid invented the Devil's Machine in the bad future, where the Chosen Four had been defeated (It can also be that they had never met up and realized their powers). Apple Kid may have been forced to invent the Devil's Machine, although definitely not by Giygas himself, considering Giygas is not capable of rational thought. Afterwards, the Devil's Machine may have been taken to the Cave of the Past, and may have gone through time travel, where the final battle takes place.

A theory about the face on the Devil's Machine is that it is actually the face of Ninten, not Ness. Considering Ninten and his friends were the ones who initially "defeated" Giygas by singing the Eight Melodies (And since it is possible that the Eight Melodies caused Giygas' suppressed emotions to resurface and overwhelm him, resulting in his form in EarthBound), it is thought to be possible.

Also, a new rule has been added to the original post.

Last edited:

Trickster Zorua

AMUSING STARTER FTW
Here's also a site, talking about the Apple of Enlightenment! http://starmen.net/reidman/rsssssnos/earthbnd/ebmystry/giygas.html This is more about Giygas himself, but the second theory section, it's about the AoE!

Also, take a look at this: http://legendsoflocalization.com/earthbound/magicant/#touch-the-universe

It talks about the Sea of Eden. This is a reference to that Adam and Eva story, with the Forbidden Fruit. The garden of the story was called The Garden of Eden. I think the Apple of Enlightment is OR the Devil's Machine (tho I am also aware of the theory about Ninten's face in it), or a spiritual moment when Gigyas was thinking, or also once has experienced Magicant.

A thing that I remember, is that in the last Your Sanctuary of EarthBound (forgot the name of the place), lights showed Ness' thoughts. Could the wall/lights have a connection with it? Since Ness' thoughts 'made' Magicant, maybe Gigyas kept there the Apple of Enlightment. An other theory of me is that the Cave of Past, is the last Sanctuary's cave. Where the endof that cave with the lights where, could be the place where Gigyas was, in the past!

Edit: I found the name, it wasn't the last Sanctuary, it was Lumine Hall. There also receives Ness a vision of Dad holding him, what can refer to that the location of the Apple, is Lumine Hall,or maybe the wall is the Apple of Enlightenment!

Last edited:

Mew The Gato

Here's also a site, talking about the Apple of Enlightenment! http://starmen.net/reidman/rsssssnos/earthbnd/ebmystry/giygas.html This is more about Giygas himself, but the second theory section, it's about the AoE!

While Giygas' species could have been around, the assumption that Giygas himself has been living for a millennium (If it is to be taken literally) is most likely incorrect. During Maria's time, Giygas was very young. And she did not live a millennium before the events of EarthBound. The only way this is possible is if Giygas had been in that state for a millennium. The better, and clear reasoning for the fact that Giygas has attacked before is simply what happened in MOTHER. He attacked Earth so that PSI could never spread to its inhabitants, and failed due to the efforts of Ninten and the others. It is very clear that Giegue and Giygas are the same alien, as the Japanese versions show us.

Also, the article does not show the actual text that is important. None of the quotes listed would actually reveal much about the Apple of Enlightenment. It is only in MOTHER 2 (And not EarthBound) that the most important text is; in Magicant, it is stated that the Apple of Enlightenment (Or the Apple of Wisdom, as in MOTHER 2) is a prophetic machine.

Finally, the mention of "the upcoming EarthBound" in the article makes me think it is outdated, and that it was written before MOTHER 3 was released.

Also, take a look at this: http://legendsoflocalization.com/earthbound/magicant/#touch-the-universe

It talks about the Sea of Eden. This is a reference to that Adam and Eva story, with the Forbidden Fruit. The garden of the story was called The Garden of Eden. I think the Apple of Enlightment is OR the Devil's Machine (tho I am also aware of the theory about Ninten's face in it), or a spiritual moment when Gigyas was thinking, or also once has experienced Magicant.

A thing that I remember, is that in the last Your Sanctuary of EarthBound (forgot the name of the place), lights showed Ness' thoughts. Could the wall/lights have a connection with it? Since Ness' thoughts 'made' Magicant, maybe Gigyas kept there the Apple of Enlightment. An other theory of me is that the Cave of Past, is the last Sanctuary's cave. Where the endof that cave with the lights where, could be the place where Gigyas was, in the past!

The last "Your Sanctuary" is whichever you want it to be; if you leave Pink Cloud incomplete, and complete all the others, for example, it shall be your final "Your Sanctuary" location. The final one to become available is the Fire Spring. However, the one which shows Ness' thoughts on the wall is the Lumine Hall, which is the second-last to become available.

But no, the Cave of the Past is not a "Your Sanctuary" location. It is the cave in the Lost Underworld (Lumine Hall leads to the Lost Underworld, and the Fire Spring is in it, but that does not necessarily mean anything) which you can access on the first visit, but not do anything in initially. Later, the Phase Distorter II takes the party to the same cave, but the part of it which was previously inaccessible, and where a broken Phase Distorter and a Mr. Saturn are. The Cave of the Past is the same cave, but in the past, where its structure was apparently different.

LeafeonTheVoid

New changes
Let us keep SSB discussion to a minimum here, because we have a thread for that.

It is fine if you mention it, but do not let the entirety of your posts involve it. Anyway, unless there is downloadable content (The leak that indicated the existence of downloadable content had nothing to do with the roster leak, and has been proven false, but the possibility of downloadable content is still there), Lucas has most likely been cut. We get Dr. Mario instead.

I always assumed Apple kid somehow had access to the Apple of Enlightenment, or at least he and Dr. Andronauts had some sort of prior knowledge of it. Clearly Buzz Buzz did, but that makes sense since he came from the future to warn Ness of Giygas's plans. It's funny how Giygas got Porky on his side as an ace in the hole of sorts, and how he turns out to be an antagonist in Mother 3.

Speaking of, I've been watching a play through of Mother 3 lately. I definitely think I'll download and play this title for myself soon. Only 3 more months roughly until Mother 4 guys!!! :D

Goggled Petilil

likes maids
Only 3 more months roughly until Mother 4 guys!!! :D

I'm kinda worried how MOTHER4 will turn out...I mean, since it's not an an official game, will it still have the same standards as the other MOTHER games?
I'm not trying to say that I don't trust the developers or that MOTHER4 will be bad, I'm just worried that it will be a bad MOTHER game.

Trickster Zorua

AMUSING STARTER FTW
Well, from what I know, it has the mechanics of Mother, like PK. But it has a completely new world. A more modern world! I think they'll use some Mother 1/2/3 enemies, but I don't think story characters, atleast, that's what I'm thinking about,

I'm excited for the game's release, tho! I hope Nintendo won't take it down!

Mew The Gato

Well, from what I know, it has the mechanics of Mother, like PK. But it has a completely new world. A more modern world! I think they'll use some Mother 1/2/3 enemies, but I don't think story characters, atleast, that's what I'm thinking about,

I'm excited for the game's release, tho! I hope Nintendo won't take it down!

MOTHER 4 brings back older PSI, too, like PK Beam and the 4-D Slip. The world of EarthBound was already just as modern (Except Chommo), but the antagonists themselves in MOTHER 4 are called the "Modern Men". I think EarthBound did a very good job of showing cultural differences between places. I want to see if MOTHER 4 does this, too. Also, apparently, there would be references to the older games.

Shigesato Itoi himself has shown approval for a fan sequel. Nintendo should not have any right to take it down.

The only thing I really dislike about MOTHER 4 is that it has more advanced graphics than even MOTHER 3. I suppose that is inevitable, though.

Goggled Petilil

likes maids
The only thing I really dislike about MOTHER 4 is that it has more advanced graphics than even MOTHER 3. I suppose that is inevitable, though.

Why does it bother you? Do you prefer the style of Earthbound, or something? (Not that that's a problem of course.)
I personally really like the artstyle of MOTHER4, it's pretty impressive and I wouldn't mind if the official MOTHER4/MOTHER5(?) used it as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.