• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The MOTHER / EarthBound Series Club

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mew The Gato

(I was also gonna say Malamar for Lesser Mook and Eelektross for Zap Eel... but enough talk about that for now. I do like the idea of Whimsicott for the Tendas though, since they certainly are shy and elusive around people.)

Anyway, here's another discussion question:

What part did you struggle with the most in a Mother series game? (Could possibly include each game as a separate question.)

For me, I have nothing on Mother 1 since I haven't played it, but for Earthbound, either Peaceful Rest Valley or Magicant. Both of those areas are full of a lot of difficult enemies, have very few places to heal except the occasional Magic Butterfly, and at least one of the enemies explode and do a lot of damage upon defeat. Magicant does have the Flying Men as a crutch, but those bomb enemies take them out really quick, and it also has Krakens as regular enemies in the Sea of Eden. I've died multiple times in both those areas. Recently in a playthrough of Earthbound, I came really close to dying in Peaceful Rest Valley because Ness had a cold but no medicine and not enough PP for Healing. Then I found a Magic Butterfly and was like "THANK YOU, GOD!".

Mother 3 was a notably easier game, especially with the lack of truly debilitating status conditions like mushroomization and diamondization and increased inventory space. Whereas Earthbound has hard levels and easy bosses in my experience (well, except for the Diamond Dog), Mother 3 is the opposite. The Cactus Wolf and Barrier Trio give me the most trouble, the former because you have one weak controllable character with no PSI and one strong yet uncontrollable ally who has a sadistic habit of suddenly doing nothing in this battle. The latter because they use really powerful PSI attacks and their barrier pose makes attacking them more difficult. I've heard that constantly using Offense Down is effective because they always respond with Offense Up Omega, but in my last battle with the Barrier Trio, I just couldn't get that to work and kept getting bombarded by PK Thunder/Freeze Gamma. PSI Counter/Shield Omega makes the battle a lot easier, but Lucas is often not at a high enough level to learn it by that point. Another boss I frequently have trouble with is the Jealous Bass (heck, the entire attic is rather challenging if you can't avoid the instruments), because Lucas doesn't have the greatest PSI abilities yet, not to mention the bass can put party members (which are just Lucas and Boney at that point) to sleep.

I have noticed it is hardest when you have a single party member. It is not hard with Jeff in Winters because he has better equipment, like the Holmes Hat, but Ness ends up going through tougher situations. These places would be really easy if the entire team were there, but only Ness being usable creates a lot of difficulty. Peaceful Rest Valley is definitely up there. In pretty much all earlier battles, it was like, "Having trouble? 'Ness tried PSI Rockin' α!' Problem solved!" But even the weakest enemies in Peaceful Rest Valley can probably survive one PSI Rockin' α, which means, if you encounter lots of enemies at once and need to clear them out quickly, you shall need two of PSI Rockin' α to do this. And it is costly on Ness' low PP at this point. The sprouts can also use PSI Magnet α, which will only make his PP run out sooner. And never buy that slingshot. It is a trap, because, instead of a 1/16 miss rate, it has a 3/16 miss rate, and considering the speed of the UFOs, and Ness' low speed, your accuracy is already debilitated.

Magicant has a lot of tough enemies (Surprisingly, the Krakens are some of the easiest ones), like the Loaded Dices, which only summon other enemies. The Flying Man is fast (100 Speed), but he neither hits too hard, nor last very long. And even worse, the official guide incorrectly stated that the Krakens in Magicant drop the Gutsy Bat (The Bionic Krakens in the Cave of the Past do), and countless players tried to grind and get it to drop, but in vain.

In MOTHER 3, the Barrier Trio is definitely one of the hardest. You have encountered enemies with devastating physical attacks, but this is the first boss with such powerful PSI. Actually, they use Defense Up Ω if you use Defense Down α or the Tickle Stick, which makes them waste turns. After all, lowering their Offence has no purpose, as they do not have any physical attacks. Therefore, it is advisable to keep their Defense down with Tickle Stick, as it costs no PP (You should keep their Defense down, anyway, so that Duster and Boney can hit hard). Contrary to popular belief, Kumatora will be dealing the most damage. If Barrier Man calls out the pose, use PK Fire. If the Barrier Gal does, use PK Freeze. If the Barrier Dude does, use PK Thunder. They are actually weak to these attacks after they strike a pose. And you only need to endure one PK Starstorm; the Barrier Trio will automatically be defeated a few rounds afterwards, and shall fail to deal any more damage.

When you get PK Ground (Learned by Kumatora at Level 60), pretty much every enemy is a breeze, with the exception of... New and Miracle Fassad, who cannot be hit by PK Ground, because he is airborne. Miracle Fassad can really test your endurance, especially when he starts throwing PK Starstorm at you. Fortunately, PK Starstorm used by an enemy is much, much weaker than the PK Starstorm that Kumatora uses.

Overall, battles in a team are much easier than battles while going solo, in my opinion.

Last edited:

Trickster Zorua

AMUSING STARTER FTW
I would like to vote aswell! If I could, I would vote for Eight Melodies, but I don't know if that's allowed, probably not. So I vote for these two!

Vote 1: Smiles and Tears (EarthBound)
Vote 2: Boy Meets Girl (EarthBound)

Mew The Gato

You, in reality, are allowed to vote for what you have nominated, so, you may want to change your votes, if you wish to vote for the Eight Melodies or Pokey Means Business / Cease To Exist. Also, I assume you are referring to the SSB4 version of Smiles and Tears, because the EarthBound version was not nominated.

Also, I am casting my own votes now.

Vote 1: Smiles and Tears (SSB4)
Vote 2: Eight Melodies (MOTHER)

Incidentally, did you know that "Pokey Means Business" is actually not associated as much with Pokey as it is associated with Giygas? The original, Japanese name is "Cease to Exist", and is more associated with Giygas.

Minedreigon

A monument to all your sins
Sorry for inactivity.

Vote 1 - Porky Means Business
Vote 2 - Pollyanna

Goggled Petilil

likes maids
Am I allowed to vote as well? I didn't vote in the last contest...
Vote 1: Kraken of the Sea (EarthBound)
Vote 2: Pokey Means Business / Cease To Exist (EarthBound)
Incidentally, did you know that "Pokey Means Business" is actually not associated as much with Pokey as it is associated with Giygas? The original, Japanese name is "Cease to Exist", and is more associated with Giygas.

I really like that name -"Cease to Exist"- more.
I mean, 'Pokey Means Business' is also cool, but it's more of a battle against Giygas then Pokey.

Mew The Gato

First Place (6 Votes)

- Smiles And Tears (SSB4)

The long-awaited remix of Smiles and Tears for the SSB series, finally done in SSB4, claims the first place with 6 votes. Smiles and Tears is the credits theme in EarthBound, and is a popular fan favourite.

Second Place (3 Votes)

- Pokey Means Business / Cease To Exist (EarthBound)

Pokey Means Business in the localization, or Cease To Exist in the original, is Giygas' battle theme, which plays when it, while sealed in the Devil's Machine, battles the Chosen Four alongside Pokey, and has been one of the most popular battle themes of the series since then.

- Pollyanna (MOTHER)

Rivaling Pokey Means Business / Cease To Exist (EarthBound), Pollyanna has likewise seized the second place, only surpassed by Smiles and Tears (SSB4). Having first appeared in MOTHER, Pollyanna has since then received remixes in EarthBound, MOTHER 3, and even the SSB series. If the MOTHER / EarthBound series has a theme for the entire series, it can be none other than Pollyanna.

Third Place (2 Votes)

- Eight Melodies (MOTHER)

The Eight Melodies, which compose Queen Mary's song, seize the third place, barely surpassed by Pokey Means Business / Cease to Exist (EarthBound) and Pollyanna (MOTHER). The Eight Melodies are possessed by various characters, and the progress towards their completion can be tracked by playing the Ocarina of Hope. This piece of music has the reputation of being one of the most soothing ones in the series.

- Kraken of the Sea (EarthBound)

Kraken of the Sea is, naturally, the battle theme of the Kraken, which is battled while travelling to Scaraba from Toto, and three of which can be encountered in the Sea of Eden in Magicant. Surprisingly, instead of the Sanctuary Guardian theme, Thunder & Storm and the Electro Specter also have this battle theme. Like Pokey Means Business / Cease To Exist (EarthBound), this is one of the most beloved battle themes of the series.

- Boy Meets Girl (EarthBound)

Boy Meets Girl, along with the Eight Melodies (MOTHER) and Kraken of the Sea (EarthBound), has managed to secure the third place. It is the theme that plays in Twoson, Eagleland.

Cresselia92

SM Ash = New Ash
Well, since the lates topic has been lost due to the system failure, I'm going to propose it again. Warning, it has spoilers from MOTHER 3:

[spoil]The ending of MOTHER 3 is left quite vague and open to interpretation. In your opinion, what happened after Lucas pulled the last Needle?

In my opinion, the world was only partially reset.

The most hideous and unnatural stuff has been destroyed, leaving behind only some traces of the technology brought by Porky and his army.

Also, the world has regained the memories from the past while retaining the new habits and knowledge of the revolution, and as such they canàt live anymore in the "fairy tale" in which they have lived until now.

The new world is basically in-between the old times and the modern era, where people have grown used to the technology but use it very sparingly and without abusing of nature again.

However, not all went well. There are some things which simply couldn't be reversed, like death, and as such unfortunately some characters haven't been brought back by the Dark Dragon.

And about the Dark Dragon... after its job, it has simply vanished. Nobody knows where, but when its help will be needed again it may come back.[/spoil]

Shayminslicker

Comes out of Nowhere
What part did you struggle with the most in a Mother series game?

I'm going to be honest and say that I haven't really played a Mother game until the end, but i'm going to say that Mother 1's beginning is difficult. (I got as far as getting Pippi from the graveyard). Mainly because enimes such as Wally's and the Gang Zombie's have high attack, and if you get smashed by a Wally around level 5 or so you either die or become close to dead.

LeafeonTheVoid

New changes
What part did you struggle with the most in a Mother series game?

I'm with Shayminslicker, Mother was rough from the start. Though I didn't get very far personally and never bothered to try again years later.

During a challenge run I had before, the Kraken was actually a bit of a challenge. No Franklin badge, and it started with shooting flames (PSI Fire 2 basically) and that alone wrecked 2-3 members for lethal damage. Didn't help when it quickly attacked my team again immediately with Thunder 2 and usually KO'd Paula, Jeff or Poo (Ness was wearing the flame pendent). Aside from this, I had a bit of trouble with Titanic ant one play through (under level fight, it's brutal), the Onett police force + Captain Strong (again, under level play through), Mondo Mole (unless I grind and bulk up Paula, which I usually do. I refuse to let Paula die and miss out on all that exp.) or grinding in Winters immediately after you recruit Poo (HATE being Diamonized). Carbon Dog used to be tough, but now that I'm older I have it figured out and it's more or less a lengthy fight due to it's massive HP. I agree with Kiruia in the sentiment that enemy fights were tougher than most of the actual boss fights in Mother 2/Earthbound. From what I've seen in Mother 3, the boss fights look much more challenging. I hope Mother 4 has a nice balance of challenging fights.

Goggled Petilil

likes maids
"What part did you struggle with the most in a Mother series game?"

I'm with Leafeon being with Shaymin.
MOTHER was pretty tough. For me the enemies were though and I had no real clue what to do or where to go... Do I buy this? Do I go in here? Do I go this? Do I go that way? Maybe I didn't bother reading the text, I can't remember...
Because I didn't know what to do I kinda wandered around the city part of Podunk and never actually advanced from there... (and if I tried to go outside the city I got my butt kicked...heck, even going back to Ninten's house was a pain.)

Minedreigon

Well, since the lates topic has been lost due to the system failure, I'm going to propose it again. Warning, it has spoilers from MOTHER 3:

[spoil]The ending of MOTHER 3 is left quite vague and open to interpretation. In your opinion, what happened after Lucas pulled the last Needle?

In my opinion, the world was only partially reset.

The most hideous and unnatural stuff has been destroyed, leaving behind only some traces of the technology brought by Porky and his army.

Also, the world has regained the memories from the past while retaining the new habits and knowledge of the revolution, and as such they canàt live anymore in the "fairy tale" in which they have lived until now.

The new world is basically in-between the old times and the modern era, where people have grown used to the technology but use it very sparingly and without abusing of nature again.

However, not all went well. There are some things which simply couldn't be reversed, like death, and as such unfortunately some characters haven't been brought back by the Dark Dragon.

And about the Dark Dragon... after its job, it has simply vanished. Nobody knows where, but when its help will be needed again it may come back.[/spoil]

Y'see, I have a theory on this

My theory is that the world of Mother 3 is just like Xenoblade Chronicles in the sense that it is in a perpetual cycle of destruction and rebirth. The world "resets" in a way. But what lies after the world of Mother 3? Pokemon Black and White. You heard the legend didn't you? About the two brothers fighting and a dragon spliting itself in two? Essentially, what I think happened is that the world reset, the dark dragon split in two, but the part about Lucas and Claus and The Dark Dragon splitting merely blended together in legend. That happened after the fight. Then the world is rebuilt, the other fight breaks out, and the dragons are sealed in stones, to be re-awakened one day, in hope of causing another reset. (This didn't happen, so Arceus or something sought another way to bring destruction.)

LeafeonTheVoid

New changes
New discussion topic: What do you speculate for Mother 4?

The spire-like object towards the end of the teaser trailer has bugged me for some time. What IS it, what's with the slime blob on it, and what does it mean? I think more and more about the logo used, and previously I stated it could represent the world falling apart. I think I may have been mistaken, as it could also represent mother Earth shedding a tear. It's sort of Sword of Mana-esque thinking, but plausible imo. The spire also reminds me of old Digimon, where the dark spires were used to control the digimon in said areas in the digiworld. Maybe there's an influence of inspiration there as well? What does everyone else think so far? It could have some relation to the "Modern Men", that's for certain.

Minedreigon

The spire-like object towards the end of the teaser trailer has bugged me for some time. What IS it, what's with the slime blob on it, and what does it mean? I think more and more about the logo used, and previously I stated it could represent the world falling apart. I think I may have been mistaken, as it could also represent mother Earth shedding a tear. It's sort of Sword of Mana-esque thinking, but plausible imo. The spire also reminds me of old Digimon, where the dark spires were used to control the digimon in said areas in the digiworld. Maybe there's an influence of inspiration there as well? What does everyone else think so far? It could have some relation to the "Modern Men", that's for certain.

It almost looks as if these modern men are sucking the nature and happiness out of the planet and replacing it with modern tech. Not only is the planet dripping green, the colour of nature and happiness, but that spire looks an awful lot like something capable of that. The music that the music implies is the fact that the Modern Men appear harmless, but are infact doing something awfully sinister. The track starts off nice and cheery, like a basic tune and happy people. It's almost hints as if the Modern Men have produced electronics that are harmless on the surface and are making people and nature happy. However, the music takes an eerie turn to people evilly laughing and a horribly creepy tune. It's as if people have suddenly realised what the Modern Men are doing, but it's too late...

fitzy909

Just another guy
How did I not know about this sooner?
Username:fitzy909
First MOTHER/EarthBound series game:Earthbound
How you got introduced to the series: I have Youtubers like Stephenplays and Chuggaaconroy to thank for that.
Reason for joining:Earthbound is my favourite game and it would be great to talk about it with fellow fans.

LeafeonTheVoid

New changes
@fitzy909: Welcome to the club! :) always a good thing to have more members here to discuss this amazing series.

It almost looks as if these modern men are sucking the nature and happiness out of the planet and replacing it with modern tech. Not only is the planet dripping green, the colour of nature and happiness, but that spire looks an awful lot like something capable of that. The music that the music implies is the fact that the Modern Men appear harmless, but are infact doing something awfully sinister. The track starts off nice and cheery, like a basic tune and happy people. It's almost hints as if the Modern Men have produced electronics that are harmless on the surface and are making people and nature happy. However, the music takes an eerie turn to people evilly laughing and a horribly creepy tune. It's as if people have suddenly realised what the Modern Men are doing, but it's too late...

I think you're definitely onto something. The main plot could be that the Modern Men are trying to replace everything with technology (similar to Mother 3 in a way) but maybe this is also a cover for something more.
Remember how in Mother and Mother 2/Earthbound how PSI was unknown to man, but Ninten's grand parents learned of these abilities and so it was passed on? Maybe this is the alien species that Gygue/Giygas was a part of returning to finish things off. Though Mother 3 went away from this and said it was a whole new world created when people apparently brought out the end of the old world. This could imply a repeating cycle, as the ending of Mother 3 was never clear and was left open to interpretation/speculation.

Minedreigon

@fitzy909: Welcome to the club! :) always a good thing to have more members here to discuss this amazing series.

I think you're definitely onto something. The main plot could be that the Modern Men are trying to replace everything with technology (similar to Mother 3 in a way) but maybe this is also a cover for something more.
Remember how in Mother and Mother 2/Earthbound how PSI was unknown to man, but Ninten's grand parents learned of these abilities and so it was passed on? Maybe this is the alien species that Gygue/Giygas was a part of returning to finish things off. Though Mother 3 went away from this and said it was a whole new world created when people apparently brought out the end of the old world. This could imply a repeating cycle, as the ending of Mother 3 was never clear and was left open to interpretation/speculation.

Yeah, it does appear that my theory concerning the ending of M3 fits in quite nicely here.

Another theory I've had: could they also be draining PSI from humans? Maybe the Modern Men think it's too dangerous or something. Telling them they'd be better off with a gun and sapping there PSI away? Idk.

Mew The Gato

How you got introduced to the series: I have Youtubers like Stephenplays and Chuggaaconroy to thank for that.
Reason for joining:Earthbound is my favourite game and it would be great to talk about it with fellow fans.

Accepted and added to the first post. I recall that you had applied earlier, but your post was apparently wiped out by SPPf's downtime.

It's almost hints as if the Modern Men have produced electronics that are harmless on the surface and are making people and nature happy. However, the music takes an eerie turn to people evilly laughing and a horribly creepy tune. It's as if people have suddenly realised what the Modern Men are doing, but it's too late...

So, you mean that these structures are to MOTHER 4 as the Happy Boxes were to MOTHER 3? The Modern Men are to MOTHER 4 as the Pigmasks were to MOTHER 3 after Fassad took over?

If the Modern Men are just trying to modernize the world, that is basically the same as MOTHER 3. And I do not want that. For some reason, that logo reminds me of an hourglass. Imagine what would happen if "drops of the Earth" kept falling. If this were to happen, the Earth itself would grow smaller, and eventually cease to exist -- at least in the same form as before. Afterwards, the drops could either spread around or collect together and form something new. Considering the Earth is coloured green in the logo, it is possible that it does refer to nature. Perhaps it involves draining from the nature of Earth in order to create something new? And considering "Modern" refers to time in some way, and an hourglass is also used to measure time...

Minedreigon

Accepted and added to the first post. I recall that you had applied earlier, but your post was apparently wiped out by SPPf's downtime.

So, you mean that these structures are to MOTHER 4 as the Happy Boxes were to MOTHER 3? The Modern Men are to MOTHER 4 as the Pigmasks were to MOTHER 3 after Fassad took over?

If the Modern Men are just trying to modernize the world, that is basically the same as MOTHER 3. And I do not want that. For some reason, that logo reminds me of an hourglass. Imagine what would happen if "drops of the Earth" kept falling. If this were to happen, the Earth itself would grow smaller, and eventually cease to exist -- at least in the same form as before. Afterwards, the drops could either spread around or collect together and form something new. Considering the Earth is coloured green in the logo, it is possible that it does refer to nature. Perhaps it involves draining from the nature of Earth in order to create something new? And considering "Modern" refers to time in some way, and an hourglass is also used to measure time...

Possibly. Like I said before, they could be draining the nature from earth, making it something modern. In fact, the Modern Men COULD be aware of the perpetual cycle of destruction and rebirth mentioned in MOTHER 3 and want to forcefully cause the event to occur. Time could be running out...

Trickster Zorua

AMUSING STARTER FTW
First, I wanna welcome Fitzy to the Happy Happyism MOTHER / EarthBound club! Hope you'll like it here! :D

I think that green blob of the trailer is actually an alien, while that boy close to it, the blob meets, he starts to get slowly, bit by bit, brainwashed, and ultimately being its 'body'. I also think that the metal thing, that's holding the blob, is probably from the Modern Men. Like, maybe something they created to brainwash people to join the Modern Man.

Mew The Gato

I think that green blob of the trailer is actually an alien, while that boy close to it, the blob meets, he starts to get slowly, bit by bit, brainwashed, and ultimately being its 'body'. I also think that the metal thing, that's holding the blob, is probably from the Modern Men. Like, maybe something they created to brainwash people to join the Modern Man.

The green thing is a living creature? So... the Modern Men's efforts are in order to create or awaken this creature? That is an interesting idea.

But the boy standing near it is actually Zack, the elder brother of Travis, the latter being the main protagonist of MOTHER 4. I hope that we do not have the elder-brother-got-brainwashed plot again. A lot of the ideas that we are speculating about have been covered by MOTHER 3. I hope that MOTHER 4 surprises us all with a plot that is rather unexpected.

Status
Not open for further replies.