• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The MOTHER / EarthBound Series Club

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trickster Zorua

AMUSING STARTER FTW
I hope that aswell Mew, but those are suggestions by me.

After reading Minedragon's theory, I also think the Modern Men are changing/destroying nature. That drop of the Earth could also resemble melting ice, that is caused by Global Warming, what the Modern Men can make it worse, by causing it! That's another thing I was thinking of.

LeafeonTheVoid

New changes
Yeah, it does appear that my theory concerning the ending of M3 fits in quite nicely here.

Another theory I've had: could they also be draining PSI from humans? Maybe the Modern Men think it's too dangerous or something. Telling them they'd be better off with a gun and sapping there PSI away? Idk.

I'm thinking something along those lines as well. I really think they'll bring back the original plot of Mother in some form, in which the aliens (Giegue, along with the Mooks) feared humans learning of PSI. I think the Modern Men want to harness this power for alternative purposes..

The green thing is a living creature? So... the Modern Men's efforts are in order to create or awaken this creature? That is an interesting idea.

But the boy standing near it is actually Zack, the elder brother of Travis, the latter being the main protagonist of MOTHER 4. I hope that we do not have the elder-brother-got-brainwashed plot again. A lot of the ideas that we are speculating about have been covered by MOTHER 3. I hope that MOTHER 4 surprises us all with a plot that is rather unexpected.

I share your sentiment, in which I hope this isn't just a revamped different spin-off of Mother 3. The blob being a living creature itself though is a very interesting suggestion and makes one wonder even more what it has in connection to the spire and the Modern Men.

I thought this might be nice to share with everyone here. :)

Rocxidi

The Jim Reaper
Username: xDIRCIOx
First MOTHER/EarthBound series game: Mother 3
How you got introduced to the series: SSB piqued my interest. After several "Let's play" videos, I decided to play Mother 3. The feels are strong af :'(
Reason for joining: I've always seen Mother / Earthbound as one of the best Nintendo games despite not being able to actually play them...

Mew The Gato

Reason for joining: I've always seen Mother / Earthbound as one of the best Nintendo games despite not being able to actually play them...

Accepted, and added to the opening post. Welcome to the club.

I'm thinking something along those lines as well. I really think they'll bring back the original plot of Mother in some form, in which the aliens (Giegue, along with the Mooks) feared humans learning of PSI. I think the Modern Men want to harness this power for alternative purposes..

If this is correct, I wonder if there will be some sort of interaction with the aliens that Giegue was one of. It would be really interesting to join forces with the aliens to combat the Modern Men, if it indeed involves them. That, or this would be a three-way battle.

Rocxidi

The Jim Reaper
Beat Mother 3 yesterday...

Don't bother me for a year or two...

I'm still a little dumbfounded with the ending... Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Shayminslicker

Comes out of Nowhere
Beat Mother 3 yesterday...

Don't bother me for a year or two...

I'm still a little dumbfounded with the ending... Any thoughts?

I can agree with you on the ending. However I assume what happened was everything was returned to normal. The Pigmasks are gone forever, but....maybe some outside force awakened? I'm not quite sure actually.

We can only make assumptions. Perhaps Mother 4 could explain. (Even though its fan made)

LeafeonTheVoid

New changes
If this is correct, I wonder if there will be some sort of interaction with the aliens that Giegue was one of. It would be really interesting to join forces with the aliens to combat the Modern Men, if it indeed involves them. That, or this would be a three-way battle.

This was my take on it, though I am leaning more towards the latter statement.

On the subject of Mother 3's end, I'll have to wait to fully contribute since I'm still watching a play through of it. Taking my time with it because tbh, it is REALLY depressing.

Goggled Petilil

likes maids
I can agree with you on the ending. However I assume what happened was everything was returned to normal. The Pigmasks are gone forever, but....maybe some outside force awakened? I'm not quite sure actually.

We can only make assumptions. Perhaps Mother 4 could explain. (Even though its fan made)

One thing that still confuses me is: how did they end up in the world of Mother 3 (I forgot the name...)? Why is everyone thanking the player (yes, the player is the player, but everyone in the game shouldn't be aware that they're video game characters controlled by the player)?

Last edited:

Rocxidi

The Jim Reaper
One thing that still confuses me is: how did they end up in the world of Mother 3 (I forgot the name...)? Why is everyone thanking the player (yes, the player is the player, but everyone in the game shouldn't be aware that they're video game characters controlled by the player)?

My guess is that you (the player) are God. I remember being asked in the beginning of the game, in the sanctuary, who you would pray to (or something along those lines). Then they ask the player for his/her name. In the end, when you find yourself in a room with every character, the reason the screen goes block is because the game doesn't have a sprite for you...

LeafeonTheVoid

New changes

At first, I figured it was a bit of 4th wall cameo, like a debug room where you "talk" to the cast of developers. Then I saw for myself and read up on the details. I found this information on the Mother wikia page. Be warned as it contains major plot spoilers.

"Laying Claus's dead body to rest, Lucas rises and takes in the requiem. Flint asks Lucas to forgive Claus for his actions, and then instructs Lucas to pull the final needle and awaken the Dark Dragon. Lucas walks over to the needle, firmly grasps it in his hands, and, with all of his might, pulls it out of the earth. Having pulled four out of the seven needles, Lucas awakens the Dark Dragon, resulting in an event unlike any other. Having awakened, the Dark Dragon summons a second apocalypse, this time destroying the Pigmasks and its influences on the Nowhere Islands. The world crumbles once more, and when the Pigmask mothership is struck down by a stray piece of brimstone, it becomes clear that the Pigmasks are gone forever. The scene then fades to black, leaving only some text saying "END...?"

If the player uses the D-Pad at this point, the "END...?" text will move away, and, regardless of how they push the D-Pad, the player them-self will walk around the dark screen. By doing this, they are able to interact with the game's characters, whose fates are left ambiguous (though it is slightly implied and often accepted that they survived). The characters discuss the second apocalypse, which was enough to make Kumatora cry for the first time. Some of them (such as the aforementioned Kumatora) are recovering from their fears, while others describe the event as "a miracle" and look forward to the future. Along the way, the player finds the doorknob that Thomas pulled off of Flint's front door back in Chapter 1, and tucks it away. An object implied to be the Absolutely Safe Capsule is among the party, wobbling "with glee." Several of the characters in the area also express joy and relief that the player survived the apocalypse, and a character implied to be Lucas bids the player farewell, hoping that they will meet again.

After the cast roll and credits finish, the screen whites out. The MOTHER 3 logo then appears, made entirely of wood instead of metal & wood. The sole exception is the "O", which is replaced by the planet Earth; this screen is a homage to the title screen of the original MOTHER. Below the logo is the text "END". Unlike the previous games in the franchise, which leave behind implications of a possible sequel, this game ends off with a definitive "END", indicating that the MOTHER saga has finally reached its conclusion"

Rocxidi

The Jim Reaper
To me it sounds like there's a possibility for a sequel. With Porky still alive within the Absolutely Safe Capsule, it seems to me that Porky could somehow escape. Although you could say that Smash Bros saw the end of Porky in the Subspace Emissary. What I'd like to know is what happened to Ness as well...

LeafeonTheVoid

New changes
To me it sounds like there's a possibility for a sequel. With Porky still alive within the Absolutely Safe Capsule, it seems to me that Porky could somehow escape. Although you could say that Smash Bros saw the end of Porky in the Subspace Emissary. What I'd like to know is what happened to Ness as well...

Oh man, you've missed out on a TON of discussion/speculation/arguments over this very topic in various blogs/sites/etc.. but...
Since it's in the far future, it's assumed the protagonists from Mother 2/Earthbound are just dead from time. Pokey/Porky did make repeated trips to the past, but this is what caused him to age rapidly and also become immortal. He's not only stuck in the future with no way back, but he can never truly die. The Absolutely Safe Capsule has trapped him in an eternity of solitude from the rest of the world.

As for Smash, it isn't akin to the Mother series story line aside from character appearances. In reality, there's no way Ness and Lucas would ever meet up since they come from different time lines. By the time Lucas is even born, Ness is long dead not just from old age, but from the destruction of the old world when everyone traveled on the White Ship.

On the subject of a sequel, Itoi himself stated there wouldn't be an official sequel. He's finished with the series as a whole, and since his daughter is older now (part of how the series began as Mr. Saturn are based on her and the concept of innocence), he has no desire, or see's any point to continue anymore than he has done. However, in an interview, he has stated that he wouldn't mind a sequel not made by him, as he would be most interested in playing it himself. This fact, along with the fan-made title Mother 4 that has been in the works for two years now(?) leaves many Mother fans eager for the game; Despite it being a fan-made title. The developers of Mother 4 have revealed there will be reference and connection to the other Mother titles, but it was also confirmed we wouldn't see any old characters. They also specifically stated Pokey/Porky wouldn't make an appearance. Hope this answers everything. :)

Mew The Gato

Having pulled four out of the seven needles, Lucas awakens the Dark Dragon, resulting in an event unlike any other. Having awakened, the Dark Dragon summons a second apocalypse, this time destroying the Pigmasks and its influences on the Nowhere Islands. The world crumbles once more, and when the Pigmask mothership is struck down by a stray piece of brimstone, it becomes clear that the Pigmasks are gone forever.

Where did you get this from? The EarthBound Wiki is full of incorrect information. This sounds more like a fanfiction to me than anything. There is no proof that the Pigmasks are actually done for. We do not know what happened, and can only speculate. And speculation should be marked as such if it is on a Wiki. The next part is fine, though. That is correct.

Next, we also do not know if MOTHER 3 takes place after EarthBound. Very possibly, it takes place in another world altogether. Alternatively, MOTHER and EarthBound may be taking place after MOTHER 3.

LeafeonTheVoid

New changes
Where did you get this from? The EarthBound Wiki is full of incorrect information. This sounds more like a fanfiction to me than anything. There is no proof that the Pigmasks are actually done for. We do not know what happened, and can only speculate. And speculation should be marked as such if it is on a Wiki. The next part is fine, though. That is correct.

Next, we also do not know if MOTHER 3 takes place after EarthBound. Very possibly, it takes place in another world altogether. Alternatively, MOTHER and EarthBound may be taking place after MOTHER 3.

You have me there on the first part. It did read off as "matter of factually" rather than just straight fact. Wiki pages are really unreliable sources, but I'll dig up what I can and share any info I come across again. On the second section, I would agree with you on that speculation except it's specifically mentioned Pokey/Porky goes back (first) and forth in time using the Phase Distorter. Though as far as speculations go, I don't think all the Pigmasks are gone. Just that the army is divided and all of them pretty much go their separate ways. I think the world was returned to a similar state when they first arrived via the white ship, only with their memories intact. This would make sense in the (re)development of a modern world.

Shayminslicker

Comes out of Nowhere

I don't know how to answer the first question to be honest, but my guess is that the player is an external force to help aid the following characters in Mother 3. Which yes I know that's what your doing. The player is basically their savior, or God like xDIRCIOx said.

Goggled Petilil

likes maids
I guess it is possible for the player to be a god in the game, I mean, I certainly can't think of anything better...

I agree with the lack of proof that all the Pigmask died on that mothership. It would be incredibly strange if they did because:
1. Why are ALL of the Pigmasks on one ship?
2. There shouldn't even be enough room on that ship for literately every grunt in the army, unless that ship is larger on the inside then on the outside.
3. Wouldn't there be at least a few survivors?
4. It's never even stated that they all died, for all we know they all lived unharmed.

Rocxidi

The Jim Reaper
Beat Earthbound today, I have to admit I was way more satisfied than I thought I would be... The feels still 2stronk.

Not sure if you guys have watched this but:
[video=youtube_share;-hVuv7mDNqM]http://youtu.be/-hVuv7mDNqM[/video]

Really love the theme that plays while you're fighting Porky, the rest was garbage, my ears hurt and I'm hungry...

Which reminds me...

the ending features a cutscene with Pickey and Ness... thoughts?

Last edited:

Mew The Gato

The MOTHER / EarthBound Series Club Slogan Contest

In this contest, every participant is supposed to create a slogan for the club.

Rules

- Every participant is allowed to create up to one slogan.
- Only original slogans are allowed, meaning any that exist officially cannot be nominated.
- Do not steal slogans that you happen to see somewhere on the Internet, if any.
- You are allowed to change nominations. Simply edit your post.
- There is a timespan of two weeks for creating the slogans.
- At the end, everyone shall vote for the best slogan. The top voted would be used in the original post.
- Simply posting a slogan is not acceptable as a post. Explain why you created it, or respond to other discussion in the club. In other words, you are still subject to usual posting rules, especially those concerning one-liners and the quality of a post. This will prevent discussion in the club from coming to a standstill during the contest.

Not sure if you guys have watched this but:
[video=youtube_share;-hVuv7mDNqM]http://youtu.be/-hVuv7mDNqM[/video]

Ah, that video. It has some inaccuracies in terms of the plot, but it is excellent nonetheless. The work done to make it over several years really shows, and I cannot help but think that the visuals match the music.

Trickster Zorua

AMUSING STARTER FTW
Before I reveal my created slogan, I wanna say this:

MOTHER 4is going to be released soon guys! They finally updated the site with new pics! Amd you can ask for an invite to get the game earlier than the rest! I'm excited for this! I even joined it! I don't know if it has been announced yet, but the melodic system of MOTHER 3 will return! It's fun, having a funny mechanic back in it!

And now, my slogan will be: Fuzzy Pickles! Freeze, Burn, SMAAASH!

Of course, it are just three words, but they contain two attacks of the (whole, if I'm correct) MOTHER series, PK Freeze, PK Fire, and the normal Bash attack! I could make one about that EarthBound is emotional, but that's not very original to me. So that's why I created this!

Mew The Gato

I have already noticed it, yes. It confirms that Travis will follow the pattern set by Ninten, Ness and Lucas -- he will focus on Recovery PSI. Meryl will follow the pattern set by Paula and Kumatora (Not Ana, because Ana was even better at Recovery PSI than Ninten, while also having access to Offensive and Support PSI ), focusing on Offense PSI. It also implies that Leo will have... strange weapons? "Swinging around everything cinder blocks to stop signs" sounds like he will use them as weapons, unless the line refers to enemies.

The clay models for the characters are all high-quality. Older clay models for the characters exist, but these look even better.

And yes, it has been confirmed since a rather long time that it shall have the musical combo system that MOTHER 3 had. It also has a new feature called "Final Stand", which will apparently increase stats while the Hit Points meter is rolling down.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.