• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The MOTHER / EarthBound Series Club

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mew The Gato

How you got introduced to the series: A friend of my father had it on his SNES. The graphics amazed me. May it be silly, but the style was quite unique for a SNES game. Not only the graphics, but also the OST and the game's silly style. I was in love with it in no time. Thou I just realised how great the game really was, much later (in my 15 or so). I've played it for the first time when I was 7. Twelve years ago. Good times. But yes, I was interested in its graphics and music at first.
Reason for joining: Why not? I need to join a club, as I need to take part in that! It's Earthbound! One of my fave games!

I'll answer some questions in the OP later.

Accepted and added to the original post.

I haven't really been listening for news about Mother 4 since I've been saving it as a surprise when I actually play the game, but I expect if to kinda be like Mother 3, but nothing bigger.

Sadly no. I don't know why, but I just have this feeling about them.

MOTHER 3 is a large game that is the maximum size for a GBA game, and has a lot of unused content included, but it has been heavily implied that MOTHER 4 would be much larger. You could beat every enemy in MOTHER 3 to complete the Battle Memory, and in Hard Mode, too, but you only need a little patience for that. If it has been stated that there is too much for one playthrough, it is implied that it would be much larger. Due to this, there would be new things to notice whenever one plays the game again after one completion. It would be frustrating for 100% Completionists, though, I assume.

LeafeonTheVoid

New changes

MOTHER 3 is a large game that is the maximum size for a GBA game, and has a lot of unused content included, but it has been heavily implied that MOTHER 4 would be much larger. You could beat every enemy in MOTHER 3 to complete the Battle Memory, and in Hard Mode, too, but you only need a little patience for that. If it has been stated that there is too much for one playthrough, it is implied that it would be much larger. Due to this, there would be new things to notice whenever one plays the game again after one completion. It would be frustrating for 100% Completionists, though, I assume.

Speaking of, I really hope they include a bestiary in Mother 4. I also love that this game won't be completely linear and gives us the player a choice in where the journey takes us. I think it says a lot about how the story will turn out unlike Always Sometimes Monsters which tried but kinda failed in being deep and reaching out to people
Also, something I've been curious about for awhile: How does everyone here think Leo learns to use PSI? I mean it isn't farfetched since even Porky learned to use it..

Kevin Triforce

Username: Kevin Triforce
First MOTHER/EarthBound series game: Mother 3
How you got introduced to the series:Through various let's plays of the series.
Reason for joining:I love the Mother/Earthbound series and want to talk with you all about it.

Mew The Gato

Username: Kevin Triforce
First MOTHER/EarthBound series game: Mother 3
How you got introduced to the series:Through various let's plays of the series.
Reason for joining:I love the Mother/Earthbound series and want to talk with you all about it.

Speaking of, I really hope they include a bestiary in Mother 4. I also love that this game won't be completely linear and gives us the player a choice in where the journey takes us. I think it says a lot about how the story will turn out unlike Always Sometimes Monsters which tried but kinda failed in being deep and reaching out to people
Also, something I've been curious about for awhile: How does everyone here think Leo learns to use PSI? I mean it isn't farfetched since even Porky learned to use it..

Pokey did not really learn to use it. His machine has Psychic Points in EarthBound, but he himself does not use it. In fact, this works more in the favour of the Chosen Four; Pokey can be completely and permanently locked down by Ness' Paralysis (50% chance to work), or hindered by Poo's Brainshock (Essentially 100% chance to work on both Pokey and Giygas; Brainshock Ω will make them both feel strange), while Paula can set up PSI Shield Σ to completely neutralize Giygas' attacks (Note, however, that while Brainshock may make Giygas attack Pokey, he also has a chance of simply ignoring the PSI Shield and striking one of the Chosen Four despite the presence of the shield). Paula and Poo can then use PSI Magnet Ω repeatedly until they have full Psychic Points. Against both Giygas and Pokey, they can drain 4-16 Psychic Points every turn. In MOTHER 3, Porky has access to a PSI Shield Device, which can apparently emulate PSI, but I believe the Pigmask Colonel also has access to this. However, they still do not have any PSI of their own.

It has never really been stated how the characters got their PSI, except for Lucas. It has been implied in the case of Claus and Kumatora, but not shown or stated, I believe. It is possible characters have access to PSI since birth (Ness' dream right before Magicant heavily implied that he exhibited a very weak form of telekinesis in order to move his cap, although none of the characters, including Ness, have access to telekinesis), and that they simply have to be "realized" or "unlocked" in some way.

Last edited:

Kiruria

La Melancolie Noir
Yeah, to me, it seemed that most of the characters in Earthbound, especially, just had PSI since they were born. In that game, the only one who gained PSI some other way was Poo, but even then, it's kinda implied that he had some innate talent for PSI before he completed his Mu training, the latter being more of a ceremonial formality having to do with his royal lineage.

Oh, this reminds me of another possible topic question: What part of the Mother games weirded you out the most when you first played through it? In other words, which moment really made you go "OMG wut?" or "WHAT THE HECK JUST HAPPENED?!?" or "Did that ____ just talk?"

For me, it was the whole Mu training scene in Earthbound, which is why the comment about Poo reminded me of this question. I clearly remember when I got to that point on my first playthrough of Earthbound, how the screen went dark and there was that humming sound in the background, and that ghostly head of some ancestral figure appearing. I was expecting some type of guided-meditation experience, and then this exchange occurred between the game and me:

Elder: To complete your trial, I am going to break your legs. You will lose the use of them. Do you accept this?
Me: What the - WHAAAAAAT? He can't be serious, can he? *answers no*
*meditation stops and things return to normal*
Me: Poo's father will hear about this! *walks back to the palace*
Poo's father: I won't say it again. You must go to Mu, the place of emptiness, again.
Me: B-b-but I'll lose my legs! Don't you care whether your son has any legs?
Poo's father: I won't say it again. You must go to Mu, the place of emptiness, again.
Me: FINE. Just kill me now, while you're at it. I don't care anymore. Death sounds good right about now...

But yeah, that whole meditation part was really trippy and pretty genius in its execution too. I especially like how when Poo loses his eyes and ears, the game's visuals and sound turn off, respectively. And then of course the whole thing turns out to be an illusion, and everything returns to normal, and I'm like "... ... WTF just happened?"

Last edited:

Minedreigon

A monument to all your sins
What part of the Mother games weirded you out the most when you first played through it?

Tanetane island (when the mushrooms are eaten). This is by far the weirdest part of the series for me. It's also rather disturbing: the entire party becomes essentially high on mushrooms and have a shared hallucination, depicting people they have come across on their journey, saying some extremely disturbing things. There's also "the boy named Lucas" letterbox. All in all, it's just strange, disturbing and unsettling due to the nature of the concept. The music doesn't help. (Red Green Yellow Yellow)

What part of the Mother series made you laugh the most?

DUNGEON MAN. Something about the signs saying the most stupid things, the free rest stop and the zoo just make this place really hilarious in my opinion. Simple, but really funny.

What part of the Mother series is the most moving?

Funnily enough, the scene I've chosen for this is from the original game, shared between Ana and Ninten. Teddy goes to make a phone call after they seek refuge in some hut on Mt. Itoi, and the pair dance in a room, which leads Ana to ask Ninten if she loves him. Saying yes causes Ana to confess her feelings towards Ninten. This is a really moving scene (even if it is immediately followed by a battle), but also rather bold of Nintendo. I found it rather interesting that they decided to work a scene like this into the game, yet when we get to Mother 2, the relationship between Ness and Paula is only hinted at when Jeff mentions them getting hitched in the future and how Paula "forgets what she was going to say" (I think we all know what the intended affect was). It's a bold but moving scene that I really like.

...Alternatively, you could say no, which makes Ana tell Ninten to forget she said anything. Well done, you heartless man.

Mew The Gato

Yeah, to me, it seemed that most of the characters in Earthbound, especially, just had PSI since they were born. In that game, the only one who gained PSI some other way was Poo, but even then, it's kinda implied that he had some innate talent for PSI before he completed his Mu training, the latter being more of a ceremonial formality having to do with his royal lineage.

Actually, Poo already has PSI before Mu Training. You can try Lifeup (Although Poo will already have full HP). In fact, he has a larger variety of PSI moves than any other character at that level. However, it is possible that his training contributed to his PSI. Poo's PSI abilities are easily the most potent in both EarthBound and MOTHER 3, with the best and most reliable PSI attack (Poo's PSI Starstorm Ω is not only more powerful than Kumatora's PK Starstorm and Ness' PSI Rockin' Ω, but also more efficient than those two and even PK Love Ω), but also every single type of Recovery PSI except Refresh and Lifeup Ω, access to all versions of Shield, Brainshock, and PSI Magnet. However, he has low Psychic Points reserves, which makes it possible that he has this variety of PSI because of his training. PSI Starstorm was explicitly shown to be earned through training. Poo can also recovery Psychic Points by simply drinking water, which can be a result of his training, because no other PSI user is known to be capable of this.

So, yes, it is very possible that PSI users have some natural affinity for PSI, but can increase this power through proper training.

What part of the Mother games weirded you out the most when you first played through it?

Moonside is one of the weirdest parts of the game, in my opinion, what with teleporting men, and invisible ones, too. It does not help that you have to face clocks that can stop time, and the Evil Mani Mani Statue itself at the very end. You are stuck with only Ness and Jeff, and only one of them can equip the Night Pendant.

The Saturn Valley, Dalaam (Especially when you realize that Ness fell asleep after eating "Magic" Cake from a stranger. Does this remind you of anything?) and Tanetane Island, as mentioned, are also up there. Magicant is also a candidate, in both MOTHER and EarthBound.

Plenty of candidates for this.

*You read a sign about watching out for falling objects. Suddenly, the photography man falls from above, takes a picture of the party, and flies up again.*

*Kumatora sets off a trap that makes a trapdoor open under the party, causing it to fall down countless stories.*
Wess: PRINCESSSSSSS!!! (Yes, I counted the number of "S"s and exclamation marks.)
Kumatora: My bad.

"NESS NESS NESS NESS NESS NESS NESS NESS NESS NESS NESS NESS NESS."

"The Men's Room Sign tried PK Starstorm!"

*You defeat the Mysterious Metal Monkey. It is a rare, metallic enemy that may run away. It must give out loads of experience, right?*
"It was a good experience." (This equates to absolutely no experience.)

The Doorknob is everywhere. You cannot escape the Doorknob.

Sign: Preserve our beautiful scenery! Please refrain from posting signs.

The death of a certain person who is very prominent in Chapter 6 of MOTHER 3, and died in Chapter 1. Even more than the ending on MOTHER 3, in my opinion. The flashbacks, the music, her presence in Chapter 6 itself, her actions, everything is very moving.

In EarthBound, the cutscene right before Magicant is also very moving, not to mention the final battle. People usually note it for its scariness, but the way you defeat the final boss is moving in itself.

LeafeonTheVoid

New changes
Pokey did not really learn to use it. His machine has Psychic Points in EarthBound, but he himself does not use it. In fact, this works more in the favour of the Chosen Four; Pokey can be completely and permanently locked down by Ness' Paralysis (50% chance to work), or hindered by Poo's Brainshock (Essentially 100% chance to work on both Pokey and Giygas; Brainshock Ω will make them both feel strange), while Paula can set up PSI Shield Σ to completely neutralize Giygas' attacks (Note, however, that while Brainshock may make Giygas attack Pokey, he also has a chance of simply ignoring the PSI Shield and striking one of the Chosen Four despite the presence of the shield). Paula and Poo can then use PSI Magnet Ω repeatedly until they have full Psychic Points. Against both Giygas and Pokey, they can drain 4-16 Psychic Points every turn. In MOTHER 3, Porky has access to a PSI Shield Device, which can apparently emulate PSI, but I believe the Pigmask Colonel also has access to this. However, they still do not have any PSI of their own.

It has never really been stated how the characters got their PSI, except for Lucas. It has been implied in the case of Claus and Kumatora, but not shown or stated, I believe. It is possible characters have access to PSI since birth (Ness' dream right before Magicant heavily implied that he exhibited a very weak form of telekinesis in order to move his cap, although none of the characters, including Ness, have access to telekinesis), and that they simply have to be "realized" or "unlocked" in some way.

I see. I thought in Mother 3 Porky actually learned to utilize the power of PSI. Admittedly, I'm nowhere near as familiar with Mother 3 as I am with its predecessors.

What wasn't quirky about this series? Seriously though, Moonside fried my brain (and eyes).

- The random farmer that was kidnapped after you defeat the Starman Deluxe
- Master Belch and his lackey before you reach Saturn Valley
- "NESS NESS NESS NESS NESS NESS NESS NESS NESS NESS NESS NESS NESS."

Pollyanna. It's everywhere, and it's full of feels from beginning to end.
Also, certain someone's death in Mother 3 as well as the sun flower scene. That was just heart wrenching..

Goggled Petilil

likes maids
I'm sorry I haven't been active. I've been busy with projects for the last few days...

Anyway,

I'm guessing PSI-users are just born, but perhaps it can also be taught (didn't George study PSI and then passed it down?).

I guess PSI-users find out that they have PSI when they one day accidentally use some kind of PSI ability.
[ Kinda like how Bumi (Aang's son) found out that he was an airbender after accidentally airbending]

Sohryu

Be a Man!
Lore... I just noticed how I don't remember a single moment of it. And I am being honest. I think I'll have to play it again.

I agree with Mew here. The very final battle was moving enough for me. Though I didn't understand it at first, I understanded it better later. Now I should "understand' it much more.
Not that I remember a good lot of things of it.

BTW, does someone here knows good remixes of Mother (1/2/3) songs? Their OST are very addicting, but due to the age, it isn't as much. I've searched a bit and found "Bound Together" which is amazingly good, but I'm curious if there's more.

fitzy909

Just another guy

Moonside was very weird to see. I was seriously confused.

-Master belch is just a hilarious concept.
-The part where the game advertises nintendo games. kids like you should be playing video games or something.
-Other such references, like yellow submarine.

-The final boss in Earthbound.
-Saying goodbye to your friends in Earthbound. It was tough saying goodbye.
-The death of you know who in Mother 3. That was very tough to take.

Kiruria

La Melancolie Noir
Yeah, I figured Moonside and Tanetane Island were going to be the most popular answers for the weirding out question. Those two were a bit weird to me, but more in a good way - that is, they didn't genuinely freak me out like the Mu training did. I think it might have something to do with the fact that I've used both magic mushrooms and LSD before, so if anything, Moonside and Tanetane Island just reminded me of those kinds of highs.

As for funniest moments... oh god, there are too many:

- When Wess is doing the dance to open the door in Osohe Castle and tells Duster not to watch... but he takes a peek anyway.

- Practically anything the Pigmasks do, especially when they run around and bump into each other or have silly conversations.

- When Fassad slips on his own banana peel and falls off Thunder Tower. JUSTICE!!!

- The way the Mr. Saturns talk. Sometimes they make up the silliest expressions, like "we are fulgrate".

- Opening a door in Osohe Castle and having it attack, only to realise it's a Pseudoor.

- "I am a Magic Butterfrog. I am not very proud of my name."

- Walking into a toilet stall and talking to a guy who talks back normally, as if not minding at all that he's sitting on a toilet and you're in his stall.

- Sign near Thunder Tower: "Tower of Love and Peace - stay away!"

- Finding the weirdest things inside presents - like farts, music, and even a hot spring.

- "The Artsy Ghost spoke passionately about art! Duster had difficulty understanding."

- Riding a coffee table to Saturn Valley. It always cracks me up when it makes horse sounds.

- Sliding down the mountain in a refrigerator

- "YOU REAP WHAT YOU SEW SO-SO... HELLO CHEESE POPSICLE, THE NUMBER YOU HAVE DIALED IS CURRENTLY OUT OF PORK CHOPS... FROM EAST TO WEST IT GOES GOES BROKEN BROKEN OH SO-SO SEW BROOOKEN..."

- Showing the Trivia cards to Pigmasks and getting silly wrong answers. Especially the Pork Trooper, as all his answers are DCMC members.

- The yes/no question about the Beatles song, XXXterday

- While Venus is performing in the Topolla Theater, some guy gets up on stage and a policeman drags him away

- Using the For Sale Sign in a dangerous pit of lava in the middle of a world filled with deadly dinosaurs - a customer will still come and buy your stuff!

- When the Sky Runner crashes a second time in Summers.

- All the odd places the photographer lands on while taking your picture.

- Finding a yellow submarine inside Dungeon Man. Beatles reference, anyone?

- The Bag of Dragonite. Cracked me up, since Dragonite is the name of a Pokemon.

Trickster Zorua

AMUSING STARTER FTW
Sorry for being not active aswell guys! The reason is school, following Mother 4 by Reddit, and I diddn't k now what to post about.

I say we should do another topic, based of Shoyru's question:

What is to you the best/a very good MOTHER OST remix? (Track or whole remix album)?

The most recent one I noticed is the Earthbound album on Spotify! I use the free version, so I didn't hear all the tracks (yet), but I listened to a couple songs, and I like it! It contains 19 tracks, and here's the link: https://play.spotify.com/album/0ASYeLpo3SscsHfp0WvfCc

But I also like Plasma3's remix of Eight Melodies! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WgDqGrcblA) It's such a beautiful remix, and Mew the Gato sent it to me for the first time, I instantly loved it!

Mew The Gato

The SSB remixes and MOTHER 3i come to mind as notable sets of remixes. I have heard lots and lots of others, but there are too many to choose. As Trickster Zorua mentioned, that remix of Eight Melodies and Smiles and Tears is probably my favourite fan remix of all.

Also, a new topic.

What do you think of the Prayer Sanctuary outside Sunshine Forest in MOTHER 3?

Forest_Prayer_Sanctuary.png

The Prayer Sanctuary, as can be seen in the above picture, is a small shrine with an image of two dragons -- a light one, and a dark one. Jonel insists that Flint offers his prayers in the Prayer Sanctuary before going into Sunshine Forest during the forest fire. Perhaps the black dragon can be interpreted to be the Dark Dragon, but what is more interesting is the presence of a white dragon. The formation is obviously like Yin-Yang.

There is unused text in the secret Memo menu (Which Tomato's translation brought back as a secret). This text is never activated during normal gameplay. And yes, "antithesis" is misspelled as "anithesis" in this unused block of text.

Be aware that the following has plenty of spoilers.

Memo for "Bird of Light" said:
•That of the Dark Dragon is in
the anithesis.
•Darkness and light.
•Despair and hope.
•Destruction and creation.

•That is what it is.

The "Bird of Light" is never even talked about anywhere in the game. However, a white, glowing egg by the name of the "Egg of Light", also known as the "Hummingbird Egg", is present as an item which can store memories. Wess and Duster go to Osohe Castle to retrieve it, and Kumatora joins the party on the way.

The Bird of Light, in this memo, is said to represent light, hope and creation, while the Dark Dragon is said to represent darkness, despair and destruction. This is not true in the final game; there, the Dark Dragon's nature depends on the heart of whoever pulls the majority of the Seven Needles. If they are pulled by one with a heart of good, then it is said that the Dark Dragon will give power to all life, and it will shine brightly. If someone with a heart of evil pulls it, then great destruction will take place. If someone with no heart pulls it, then everything in existence will cease to exist, including the Dark Dragon itself. It is said that the Dark Dragon has an infinite amount of power.

So, the two dragons could be referring to the differing nature of the Dark Dragon, or it may be a leftover from an early point in the development of the game, where the Bird of Light was supposed to be a concept. Also, the Prayer Sanctuary is where the player's name is asked for the first time. If you enter a certain name (To keep it secret, let us just say you need to complete the game after completing the entire Battle Memory in order to get to know this, although if you already know this, then you do not need to fill the Battle Memory to unlock it), then, the HP of all enemies in the game will be doubled, but in general, it works in the same way as when the player is asked his or her name twice in EarthBound. In Chapter 4, this opportunity comes once again.

What do you think of the Prayer Sanctuary, and all this about the Dark Dragon and the Bird of Light?

On another note, I made some fanart for MOTHER 3! It is my first time making a digital drawing like this, and my mouse does not work very well, so, it is not very polished, but I thought I should post it. Boney is jumping into Lucas' arms. I tried to keep the eyes faithful to the MOTHER series style, and also gave them the slight blush. The green and yellow background is supposed to give a slight impression of grass and sunflowers.

Last edited:

Cresselia92

SM Ash = New Ash
Howdy! It's been a while since I've posted, but I guess I'll try to contribute.

What is to you the best/a very good MOTHER OST remix? (Track or whole remix album)?

One remix I really love is the "Pokey Means Business" theme with the Pokémon HG/SS soundfont: source. Otherwise, I love all the Super Smash Bros remixes.

Trickster Zorua

AMUSING STARTER FTW
Howdy! It's been a while since I've posted, but I guess I'll try to contribute.

One remix I really love is the "Pokey Means Business" theme with the Pokémon HG/SS soundfont: source. Otherwise, I love all the Super Smash Bros remixes.

Hey hey hey! If you're gonna talk about Pokey Means Business remixes, this is a good one! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viBGtqs0oow Or this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yS25AepodK0

New topic!

If a MOTHER/EarthBound title must get a remake (2D or 3D, your choice), which one should get it, into your eyes?

This is a pretty easy one for me to answer! I should say MOTHER/Earth Bound/EarthBound Zero, because it's an 8-Bit title, so its graphics and music are very outdated, unlike MOTHER 2/EarthBound. I really would like to see an 2D version of it, though. SOmething in the style of EarthBound/MOTHER 2 would please me, because I love its style and beautiful music, for a 16-Bit machine!

Mew The Gato

As someone who has been appreciating MOTHER's art style more than most do, I do not want it to be remade in 3D. The old art style is very refreshing and nostalgic. It could do with getting a slight 2D improvement, but I think that its art style should remain distinct from EarthBound. I feel it adds to its charm. MOTHER's sound quality could also do with touching up, but MOTHER's music is still undeniably incredible. I find it to be better than most modern games, really. The simple music is also nostalgic for me.

Also, please contribute to earlier topics before you simply make new ones up.

Last edited:

Goggled Petilil

likes maids
As someone who has been appreciating MOTHER's art style more than most do, I do not want it to be remade in 3D. The old art style is very refreshing and nostalgic. It could do with getting a slight 2D improvement, but I think that its art style should remain distinct from EarthBound. I feel it adds to its charm. MOTHER's sound quality could also do with touching up, but MOTHER's music is still undeniably incredible. I find it to be better than most modern games, really. The simple music is also nostalgic for me.

Also, please contribute to earlier topics before you simply make new ones up.

Can I still contribute to this topic? Because:

I honestly don't see MOTHER working in 3D... I think it should just stay 2D, it really looks best in 2D.
I mean, look at 3D versions of MOTHER:
Dragokid.jpg

Granted, the graphics ARE outdated, but I think that even with HD graphics this would look...odd

7020-47409-Mother33Djpg-550x.jpg

I'm not try to bash this person's work (this DOES look good), but I just don't see this working in a game, especially MOTHER.

I guess bosses or attack animations animations with 3D graphics would be cool, but it would most likely look too out of place.

fitzy909

Just another guy
This 3D style kind of ruins the feel of the game. One of the main draws of the game is its art style and this just looks...off. This style works for something like wind waker, but knowing how it should look this just doesn't go it for me. A HD remaster would be good, anything to get more people to play these games, but they can leave it in sprite form.

Rocxidi

The Jim Reaper
Welp, still no Mother 4. Rest assured I'll be active around here when it comes out.

Speaking of 3d remakes, ive always imagined a 3d trilogy involving the whole series remastered with the models used in ssb. I've grown fond of how Ness and Lucas look in 3d, and it would be great to see these used in a 3d instalment.

Status
Not open for further replies.