• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The move Toxic is to common.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrysaries

Former shiny trader
Hi, i think that the move Toxic is really powerful sometimes. BUT almost any pokemon can learn it! Meaning Poison type pokemon get kinda worthless since their main offense is poisoning but now every1 can do it... You cant compare it to other moves-wrong pokemon things either, since Toxic requires no spec atk nor atk stat at all and its still as powerful... Any1 agree?

nah since you could use dw gliscor to counter any toxic users or any poison/steel type..

An00bis

Wicked Witch
Not really, because ...

- Steel Types are increasingly more common and immune to Toxic
- Poison Type are also immune to Toxic
- People are more likely to choose a Pokemon that can actually attack then one who need to rely on stalling to KO Pokemon
- For people who actually want to use Bulky Pokemon / Walls there are better choices. Seismic Toss, Night Shade, Leech Seed, ect.
Poison isn't the best Status to inflict. Sleep, Burn, or Paralysis cripples a Pokemon more

toxxicice

I'M COLD
All they would have to do is remove it as a TM, though that doesn't solve the problem of learning it in a different game and then just bringing it over to the game without Toxic...

Personally, I think it's fine. It's not like it's breaking the game or anything. There are a lot of ways to counter it in-game. (Aromatherapy, Refresh, antidotes and stuff like that) You could argue that it's the same with Will-O-Wisp or even Thunder Wave. They have (somewhat) wide learner bases, Thunder Wave moreso than Will-O-Wisp. PLUS, those come with an extra effect (attack reduction, speed reduction).

Just my opinion. I think it should stay as a TM or remove the TM status and make it a Tutor move. It's a situational move at best, though some Pokemon revolve and benefit from having status effects available in their movepool.

The Red Thunder

Backwards thinking?
- People are more likely to choose a Pokemon that can actually attack then one who need to rely on stalling to KO Pokemon
- For people who actually want to use Bulky Pokemon / Walls there are better choices. Seismic Toss, Night Shade, Leech Seed, ect.
Poison isn't the best Status to inflict. Sleep, Burn, or Paralysis cripples a Pokemon more

Not exactly true. Toxic is a great way to take out any tank/wall, since it builds up damage over time. It's not just regular poison. Remember that each turn adds another counter. First turn, 1/16th HP damage. Second, 1/8th damage. Third, 3/16 damage. Fourth, 1/4 damage. So on, so forth.

As for status effects, Freeze is too unreliable to count on. Burn is only good against physical sweepers. Sleep is often restricted to one Pokemon at a time, because it IS so good. Plus, sleep got nerfed this generation. Paralysis is really best used against faster Pokemon, which generally excludes walls, and the "Full Paralysis" chance is too low to be reliable.

Now, granted that Steel types are immune to Toxic, and generally make great walls (Steel is a great defensive typing), but being weak to Fire, Ground, and Fighting is often an easy way to work around that. Aside from Steel-types, Poison-types are generally easy to KO anyway. And anything with Poison Heal is often going to be better off Paralyzed or Burned.

Last edited:

sceptile33

To me, it's not so much how it affects the gameplay, but I don't understand how every pokemon (except some pre-evo bug types I've realized) can learn a move that is clearly oriented towards poison types.

At least moves like Protect and Hidden Power make more sense because they seem like the kind of moves that should be used by all pokemon.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
Not exactly true. Toxic is a great way to take out any tank/wall, since it builds up damage over time. It's not just regular poison. Remember that each turn adds another counter. First turn, 1/16th HP damage. Second, 1/8th damage. Third, 3/16 damage. Fourth, 1/4 damage. So on, so forth.

Oh, look, I just switched.

Into a Steel type, of all things. Still, nobody uses those as walls.

To me, it's not so much how it affects the gameplay, but I don't understand how every pokemon (except some pre-evo bug types I've realized) can learn a move that is clearly oriented towards poison types.

At least moves like Protect and Hidden Power make more sense because they seem like the kind of moves that should be used by all pokemon.

Toxic is Pokevomit.

The Red Thunder

Backwards thinking?
Oh, look, I just switched. Into a Steel type, of all things. Still, nobody uses those as walls.

*sigh*

You'd have to predict correctly on when your opponent is going to even use Toxic, always switch into a Steel-type, and hope to god that they didn't predict your switch to a Steel in the first place and use something to cripple your Steel.

It doesn't matter who you are, you'll never manage to pull that off every time, in every battle, 100% of the time.

Jedi Master

peace keeper
I hate poison teams I usually turn off when I come up against a team based on toxic because I know its going to be a long boring battle, I have better things to do with my time than battle Toxic/sub/protect/recover type pokes they bore the living daylights out off me. So yes toxic is too common and its the most boring tactic in the game.

Kotone

I hate poison teams I usually turn off when I come up against a team based on toxic because I know its going to be a long boring battle, I have better things to do with my time than battle Toxic/sub/protect/recover type pokes they bore the living daylights out off me. So yes toxic is too common and its the most boring tactic in the game.

Such a dick move to leave and not let the opponent get the win, atleast give up without turning off so the opponent rightfully gets the win.

Reason for Widespread Use:

Ancestors had poison-secreting glands. These got unnessecary(sp.) after awhile. However, there are still traces of the venom in them. The Toxic TM amplifies the venom, enabling the Pokemon to regurgitate some of the toxin.

Toxic Tactics:

As Poison and Steel-types can switch into Toxic with impunity, it is important that:
  • There are none of those-typed Pokemon on the opponent's team
    or
  • You have good prediction skills

More often than not, there will be one of those types on the opponent's team. As such, you will need good prediction. Stalling is also a good Toxic tactic.

Last edited:

munchlaxboy

Catching up on XY
Yeah, it should be mainly limited to Poison and maybe Grass types, with the occasional other type here and there.

Status
Not open for further replies.