• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Mushroom Boxer and The Lightning God (An OU RMT)

This is one of my most successful teams from BW2 OU, and to celebrate X and Y's coming out on Saturday, I am making an RMT of it. It utilizes one of my favorite offensive cores, Breloom and Thundurus-T.

THE TEAM AT A GLANCE

186.gif
286.gif
642-therian.gif
576.gif
385.gif
073.gif

A CLOSER LOOK

186.gif

Leapfrog (Politoed) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Surf
- Encore

Politoed exists on this team mainly as an anti-weather Pokemon. While other teams depend on Politoed to function, Politoed here is more of a supplement to the team. Hydro Pump and Surf are STAB moves, although I might trade one of them for Focus Blast to hit Ferrothorn. Ice Beam hits Grass types and Dragons. Encore might seem weird on a Choice Scarf set, but it serves to quickly stop set-up sweepers in their tracks.

286.gif

Shrooms (Breloom) @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Spore
- Low Sweep
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch

Breloom is a very dangerous mid-game threat that can even sweep late-game once its counters are gone. Spore is obvious on any Breloom, it would be terrible without it. Low Sweep is boosted to a respectable 90 base power from Technician, and can prevent a lot of switch-ins from killing it. For example, if a weakened Lando comes in to Intimidate, Low Sweep+Bullet Seed is a clean 2HKO. This brings us to the next attack, Bullet Seed. It is invaluable in its ability to break Subs and Focus Sashes, meaning I can also lead with this thing. Mach Punch is the cleaning tool of the set, revenge killing threats like Scizor. This set runs Jolly to beat out Scizor and Adamant Mamoswine and Mach Punch them before they can hit him with their respective priority attacks.

642-therian.gif

Zapdos 2.0 (Thundurus-Therian) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 128 HP / 252 SAtk / 128 Spd
Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Agility
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Therian Thundurus is, quite frankly, a monster. Most people expect either the Agility set or the Nasty Plot set, so running a Double Booster set throws many people off their game. Thundurus is this team's main late game sweeper; if it can get off both boosts, heads will roll. Nasty Plot and Agility boost his special attack and speed to threatening levels. Thunderbolt is the main STAB, hitting many common threats for good damage. HP Ice creates the infamous BoltBeam coverage. One might wonder why I chose Thunderbolt over Thunder. This is because I want Thundurus to sweep in any weather, not just rain. The EVs maximize special attack while outspeeding every relevant scarfer after a boost.

576.gif

Emo (Gothitelle) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt
- Trick
- Signal Beam

Gothitelle traps and kills a variety of threats to the team. Psychic is deadly STAB that hits most things not resistant to it hard. Thunderbolt kills bulky Waters and other things weak to it. (See Thundurus-T as to why I lack Thunder) Trick cripples silly Blisseys and Ferrothorns who think they can wall me. Signal Beam is purely for Celebi, as it is a threat to the team. It also hits the Latis and Dark types hardest.

385.gif

Wishmaker (Jirachi) @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 236 SDef / 252 HP / 20 Spd
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Body Slam
- Wish
- Stealth Rock

Jirachi is a troll. That is all. But really, Jirachi is incredibly useful on this team. It walls special attackers, sets up Stealth Rock, paralyzes EVERYTHING, and provides Wish support for the whole team. Iron Head and Body Slam create the dreaded paraflinch combo and deal decent damage. Wish heals Jirachi and the other member of this team. Stealth Rock is Stealth Rock, it deals with so many problematic Pokemon. Jirachi here excels at handling Latios, Gengar, and other highly threatening special attackers.

073.gif

Jellicent Sr. (Tentacruel) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Rain Dish
EVs: 244 Def / 248 HP / 16 Spd
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic
- Protect

Last but certainly not least, we come to Tentacruel. This guy spins away hazards for this switch-heavy team, toxic poisons walls that would otherwise be hell to deal with, stalls out low PP attacks, and overall is hell to deal with himself. Scald makes its appearance as it does on every bulky water; it was considered for banning for a reason. The ability to shut down physical sweepers is invaluable. Rapid Spin eliminates Stealth Rock and Spikes (T-Spikes are already absorbed) from my side of the field, a huge boon for a team that switches a lot. Toxic and Protect cripple Pokemon who could care less about Scald burns, while stalling for Black Sludge and Rain Dish recovery.

Leapfrog (Politoed) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Surf
- Encore

Shrooms (Breloom) @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Spore
- Low Sweep
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch

Zapdos 2.0 (Thundurus-Therian) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 128 HP / 252 SAtk / 128 Spd
Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Agility
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Emo (Gothitelle) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Shadow Tag
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt
- Trick
- Signal Beam

Wishmaker (Jirachi) @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 236 SDef / 252 HP / 20 Spd
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Body Slam
- Wish
- Stealth Rock

Jellicent Sr. (Tentacruel) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Rain Dish
EVs: 244 Def / 248 HP / 16 Spd
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic
- Protect

And... That was the team. One thing I have noticed is a weakness to Mamoswine, but I have ways of dealing with it. Rate away.

Rising Star

Certified Boss
Hi Imposter! Very nice team you got here. I like it. There's not much I'd change about this team to be honest. It handles most type of teams well as long as you predict correctly and make good plays. However, one thing that I would definitely change is Gothitelle. I don't see how it really helps your team out offensively. It is slow and easily pursuited/set up on once your opponent knows what move it's locked into. Its speed is too low to trap anything significantly threatening to your team. The pokemon that it does trap are already threatened by the rest of your team. Plus, Celebi is faster and can just u-turn or baton pass against it. If you're looking for a trick user that can cripple stall, consider the following Latios set:

*Edit: Actually, I was wrong about sp. defensive celebi outspeeding gothitelle. I thought you were modest for some reason. But either way, you have stuff to deal with celebi such as jirachi and thundurus-t (if it's significantly weakened). Sp. def celebi is at most just an annoyance, and is not particularly threatening. You can 2hko with specs draco from latios after rocks damage iirc. In short, I think that the power specs latios has to offer is too good to pass up, and gothitelle is the most expendable member.

381.gif

Latios (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Psyshock
- Trick

Latios is stronger and faster than gothitelle and maintains offensive pressure on your opponent. Specs + rain boosted surf hits like a truck. Trick can still cripple stall. Psyshock 2hkos blissey. And its a DRAGON. What more can you ask? (Plus it lures in stuff like t-tar so loom can set up)

The only other thing that I would change is body slam -> thunder on Jirachi to take advantage of the rain. It allows you to hit steel types like scizor and finish them off if they're weakened. But that's just personal preference.

Hope I helped. Good luck!

Last edited:
Thanks Rising Star, and I definitely will consider the Latios switch. Although Gothitelle is surprisingly good at trapping and killing Ninetales, which can bring most sun teams to their knees. I guess Gothitelle is a bit more situational than Latios, but I will probably make the switch.

As for Thunder->Body Slam on Jirachi, I probably won't make that switch, as I would have to make it Sassy natured so as to avoid compromising either move's power, meaning I would have to run more speed to outspeed what the set is supposed to, thus lessening Rachi's special walling ability.

Last edited: