• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Music & Musicians Alliance *New and Improved Music Club*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kitt Geekazaru

Infernape Trainer
Development of events: my request for the course change to 'beginner' with flute didn't go through. Instead, I asked my music teacher (incidentally, homeroom) today if I could play flute even though I've only tried for a week. He said 'sure'.

Not sure if this is some kind of a trick, or what, but we're also allowed to play whatever instrument(s) we want throughout the year, as long as it's in the woodwind or brass family. You could theoretically play a bunch of instruments on and off... well, I'll take it with a grain of salt. We'll see how these arts credit (mis)adventures go.
That sounds completely awesome. Play a different instrument everyday and get good at all of them, and you will become a band director.
Not that becoming one would get in the way of what you plan to be your life. My band director teaches ~7 classes at 2 schools and still has time to drive an ice cream truck, his personal dream.

ShinyUmbreon189

RealTalkRealFlow
Since I'm a song writer and this is the music club I think it's necessary to post this lol. What do you guys think of this freestyle verse I wrote? I wrote the whole thing in about 30 minutes making it a freestyle. The instrumental was sent to me so I can throw my verse on it (the person who sent it to me is a gd but that doesn't matter) so the lyrics make a lot of sense along with the instrumental, since the instrumental is tagged as a "freestyle". I could either write a freestyle or do a freestyle off the dome. 3 out of my 5 were off the dome and this one is not what I normally write about unless it's freestyle. Anyways here they are.

nursery, my intelligence aint elementary
its powerhouse like a lithium ion-battery
when i go super saiyan i produce nucleur energy
then spit it in bars im the main source of electricity
you can't **** with me, im the white, muhammad ali
deadly blows, can't dodge my shots when, i mob in the streets
posse one man army dont come near my, vicinity
deadly to your molecules and follicles, like mercury
i got enough clips, to take out, your whole clique
i don't claim a set, but i'll draw, that chrome quick
lets play russian roulette, with a glock, i wont slip
i leave no evidence, when i make, your dome split
raps too hot pursuin the government like 2pac
bustin shots wit 2 glocks ,til i hit the, jackpot
rap games a hustle, gang bangins my, resume
lyrical murderer you don't want, my chopper, to go bang

I have no clue why the spoiler isn't working

Last edited by a moderator:

VampirateMace

Internet Overlord
That's because you need to post =(Title) between [SPOILER and the ]. Which you'll see I've done for you.

Also, I found the message hateful and inappropriate for younger forum members (for which you should provide warnings), as well as reinforcing negative rap stereotypes. From a literary standpoint, the pacing is fine, and it can be read in pentameter, but there is a severe lack of capitol letters.

ShinyUmbreon189

RealTalkRealFlow
It's not my usual "style" since most of my lyrics have a deep sometimes dark message and I usually write about problems in society and real life rather than the typical rap you hear on the radio. I'm more diverse, actually have something to say, and occasionally I'll change my style up to show my diversity which is what I did with this verse. Those lyrics were for a freestyle beat so I had to write lyrics to the vibe of that freestyle since it had a more "gangsta" tone to it which explains the violence of the lyrics. So yeah, these types of lyrics is a one time thing but I'll definitely give a warning next time since my lyrics have profanity sometimes. The moral of the lyrics was I'm a cold lyricist (which you can tell) and that I'm a menace on the beat with my flow if that makes any sense. I was in no way wanting to promote violence. But I'm glad you find my lyrics pentameter, I like to be more intricate and less nursery than a lot of other rappers. It's not what you say it's how you say it, but the rap game is filled with nursery rappers that don't know how to rhyme correctly and rhyme the n word with the n word.

You talking about not capitalizing the first word in each bar? I didn't think that would matter, but I'll remember that next time I post lyrics.

Last edited:

VampirateMace

Internet Overlord
I did see that you mentioned it was not your usual subject matter. It's good to know how to rhyme properly, and to realize that you don't always need to rhyme.

Well, you could get away with not capitalizing the first letter in every line (style and grammar dependent). But you didn't capitalize your I's, Muhammad Ali, or even just the first word.

ShinyUmbreon189

RealTalkRealFlow
That's my bad, I just copy and pasted the lyrics from my computer without going through them and capitalizing words that should be capitalized. I know which words should and shouldn't be capitalized but I didn't treat the lyrics like I would as if I was writing something. I usually have proper grammar, I just don't utilized them in bars for my lyrics, I just type and use comma's to make it easier to follow my flow.

Toyosatomimi no Miko

炎髪灼眼の討ち手
Topics.

What do you hope to accomplish with music in the near and/or faraway future?

I'm currently trying to learn all of the Kagerou Project songs and play them on the clarinet. It's pretty hard (thank you, Children Record and Yuukei Yesterday, for making my life hard and my fingers sore). Also, I'm still trying to learn guitar, as before.

By the way, is it hard for you guys to play songs by ear? I'm told I have very good ears, being able to figure out intervals and whatever and never having done ear training before (well, I have texhnically, but a lot less than others). And I've asked a few friends, they all said that they absolutely need sheet music to play anything.
Am I just that one talented person? Is it easy to play without sheet music for you people?

Keysmash

buys meat
By the way, is it hard for you guys to play songs by ear? I'm told I have very good ears, being able to figure out intervals and whatever and never having done ear training before (well, I have texhnically, but a lot less than others). And I've asked a few friends, they all said that they absolutely need sheet music to play anything.

With a bit of time, transcripting a single-voice melody line is easy. Conventional music are just intervals, after all. As for improv by ear... I'm not sure. I do slip up, but I've no one to compare this skill (lack of) to.

Am I just that one talented person? Is it easy to play without sheet music for you people?

Please, don't sound so conceited.

Toyosatomimi no Miko

炎髪灼眼の討ち手
With a bit of time, transcripting a single-voice melody line is easy. Conventional music are just intervals, after all. As for improv by ear... I'm not sure. I do slip up, but I've no one to compare this skill (lack of) to.

Please, don't sound so conceited.

Sorry, didn't mean to make it sound like that. Poor choice of words. I know there are plenty of other people who are probably much better.
*Can anyone else here easily play something by ear?

It takes me forever and a half to memorize one song on the clarinet, ages on the piano. It's just hard for me to remember all those hand positions and everything, so I applaud you.

VampirateMace

Internet Overlord
I need sheet music to play (a normal written song at least, with Oc it's not uncommon to just play even as a beginner). I try to memorize sheet music, but I still can't get very far with out it then either.

Toyo, if it makes you feel better, I didn't read it as being conceited, it is a talent.

fango pango

You're My Man Of War

Ermmm...honestly I don't play to accomplish anything much. I'm more the writer myself so I guess my main accomplishment would be to write lyrics for an album. Not all of them obviously but like a song or two.

ShinyUmbreon189

RealTalkRealFlow

I wanna eventually own my own independent record label, meaning I'd be signing new musicians, own a studio, be a sound engineer, most likely video editing, and album cover editing, and have total control of the label. I'm not too fond of being signed to a major label because they cannot be trusted. There's not much in this world I'm good at or that interests me so owning a record label would mean so much to me, and I'd be making more money doing this that doing something that doesn't interest me whatsoever. So far I've accomplished about half of my dream. I'm a sound engineer, know a ton of hip-hop artists that I'd sign, and I know how to do photo editing for album covers. I just need the right situation and everything will fall through.

Tangeh

Intervals are pretty easy. I think we had a few classes on it in high school and I'd always remember perfect fifths as Star Wars, perfect fourths as Amazing Grace, tritones as The Simpsons, minor thirds as O Canada... etc. xD It's recognizing the pitch that is difficult, as even with training it isn't something people can normally do. Being pitch perfect is usually something you are born with. If somebody were to play a long held note on a piano, I could probably tell you what it was. Or any held note I can usually get within a tone. But if I don't have time to think about it then I have no idea. :p And I'm horrible with chords.

If there's a typical pop song on the radio with a strong vocal melody I can usually nail that by the time the song is over and make up chords that could go with it, even if they aren't correct. xD This is from years of practice, though. If I arrange a song purely from memory I put it in the wrong key half of the time by accident.

As per the memorization thing the others were talking about, memorization should always be the ultimate goal if you're playing a solo instrument. You need to have the notes under your fingers before you are able to embellish and put real emotion into the piece, if that makes sense. It's one of the reasons that memorization is an unwritten rule for a piano competition (the other being that you need to give the sheets to the judges and photocopies are considered illegal, so you'd have to buy another book lol). If you don't know the piece, then you can't really know the piece. I might keep the sheets up to glance at if they're complicated, though.

I have an arrangement of The Hanging Tree that I want to polish and put up on youtube before Mockingjay comes out in theatres. Other than that I have no plans. I won't have access to a piano until Christmas anyways. Music certainly won't be anything more than a hobby for me... something to share with family and friends and get easy As in my electives.

Chalis

Victorious
The only thing I'd really like to accomplish right now, is getting better at making music, digital, that is. Also to become expert at piano.

Status
Not open for further replies.