1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

The music of GSC

Discussion in 'Pokémon Generation I & II Discussion' started by Noa, Jan 27, 2020.

1. Noa

Noa Pokemon Crystal is my happy place

GSC had some really nice and memorable music, didn't it? Which is your favorite? I'm personally really fond of Goldenrod City's theme, it has such a comfy theme and when I hear I just feel kinda right. I especially like hearing it when it's night in the game, it sets a really nice mood.
    I also like the theme that plays at the Lake of Rage, it has a real feel of 'you've come really far in your adventure."
    And of course, no one can deny the game corner theme is an absolute jam.

What are your favorites?

Leonhart likes this.
  2. WishIhadaManafi5

WishIhadaManafi5 Don't mess with the bull. You'll get the horns. Staff Member Moderator

Loved everything but Dragon's Den. That song was/is like nails on a chalkboard. Rest of the music was/is fine.

Noa and Leonhart like this.
  3. Leonhart

Leonhart Imagineer

I like most of the G/S/C soundtrack, except for the wild Pokemon battle theme. It just sounds very average to me even to this day. Some of my favorite tracks are the Champion battle theme, the Dragon's Den theme, and the Ice Path theme.

Noa likes this.
  4. NeganTheSavior

NeganTheSavior Well-Known Member

The Cavern theme and Ilex Forest themes in particular are very nostalgic for me.

The gym theme reminds me of how the Spearow in the first gym kept KO'ing all my mons and then asking my older sister (who knows nothing about video games) to beat it for me.

I remember thinking Professor Elm's theme sounded like "I've been working on the railroad" when hearing it for the first time. Still kinda do in a strange way.

Kutie Pie, Noa and Leonhart like this.
  5. Noa

One time I set up a 'haunted house' in my room around halloween when i was a kid and played the dragon's den music specifically because it was so unsettling LOL

6. Leonhart

Leonhart Imagineer

I've seen a lot of people describe the song as unsettling, but I don't think it's that bad. I think it fits the setting since the Dragon's Den is a mystical place. And I forgot to add this to my list before, but Ibuki's (Clair's) theme that plays in Crystal version is quite good as well. Too bad it's only heard one time.

TwilightBlade and RedBlastoise like this.
  7. Kutie Pie

Kutie Pie "It is my destiny."

The entire soundtrack is just as iconic as the first gen's music, but the Ecruteak/Cianwood theme sticks out to me due to its somber tone. It sounds so sad because of the deep lore it invokes, and I love it. If I had to sum up Johto's theme in a piece of music, it'd be that, that's typically what I think back to first when I think of Johto.

The Ilex Forest/Ruins of Alph theme honestly creeps me out (in a good way). It's like the auditory embodiment of invisible eyes watching you, and I came to that conclusion thanks to the old lady NPC warning you to stay out of mischief while in Ilex because of the forest's protector always watching over it. Before I knew what Celebi even was (the in-game sprite doesn't help, actually...), I thought the protector wasn't exactly a very benevolent god, and so I hated having to go through the forest because I feared provoking this omnipotent protector.

I was a very imaginative nine-year-old lol.

TwilightBlade, Noa and Leonhart like this.
  8. RedBlastoise

RedBlastoise Cerulean Blues

Gold, Silver and Crystal had the best game soundtrack out of all the games. I think my favorite pieces of music were Eusine's theme music and the Victory Road music. One thing that I wish we had in those games was remixed versions of the Cerulean theme and the Cinnabar Island theme from Generation 1.

Leonhart and Noa like this.
  9. Noa

I agree, GSC did a really good job of setting the mood. Ilex Forest, the Ruins of Alph, Burnt Tower, all had really good atmospheres and I think it was greatly in part due to the music.

10. Leonhart

Leonhart Imagineer

I always thought that it was irritating how Hanada (Cerulean) City and Guren (Cinnabar) Island didn't have their Gen I theme songs in G/S/C and instead had the Tokiwa (Viridian) City theme music.

Venomshock likes this.
  11. Dragalge

Dragalge Larry, Buznut, Countey, Astar, Feh, & Eggbert

I dislike Gen II a ton but if there’s one thing they did well on its the music. Especially Ecruteak!

12. NeganTheSavior

NeganTheSavior Well-Known Member

I used to love the Dragon's Den theme. I just listened to it again and I must've been a super forgiving child.

WishIhadaManafi5 and Leonhart like this.
  13. Twilight-Kun

Twilight-Kun Pokemon World Champion

Loved the various tower and cave themes - Ruins of Alph and Bell Tower especially, even if catching the gerbils in Crystal to get Ho-Oh was an absolute nightmare and well worth saving the Master Ball for one of them

Learned to love Buena's Password and Goldenrod themes as well because I always tuned in for it

RedBlastoise and Leonhart like this.
  14. Leonhart

Leonhart Imagineer

I heard that theme so seldomly while playing Crystal version [because I always forgot when the program was on the radio] that I barely remembered what that theme sounded like until I looked it up just now. It's decent for a piece of music that only plays at certain times of day.

RedBlastoise likes this.
  15. TwilightBlade

TwilightBlade Well-Known Member

Gold, Silver and Crystal's soundtrack was flawless. The Johto city songs were all catchy and they get stuck in my head whenever I play the VC version of Crystal. My fav track is the Burned Tower music. :]

Venomshock and Leonhart like this.
  16. Venomshock

Venomshock Well-Known Member

Cianwood/Ecruteak had the best music and I think it was a remix of a music track that played in Pokemon Pinball. Mt. Silver and Diglett's Cave had cool music too.

Sakuyamon and TwilightBlade like this.
  17. Leonhart

Leonhart Imagineer

That theme from G/S/C did indeed share a few notes with the beginning section of the Red Field music in Pokemon Pinball. I figure that both games were probably being produced around the same time, so parts of the theme music got recycled.

18. WhiteBlair

WhiteBlair ベストチャンピオン。

Mt. Silver, Ice Path, Rt. 26, Burned Tower, Tin Tower, Surf, Johto and Kanto Gym Leader, Dragon Den and probably many more.

GSC had a flawless OST.

TwilightBlade and Sakuyamon like this.
  19. Sakuyamon

Sakuyamon Well-Known Member

My favorite GSC songs were the Gym Leader/E4 battle music, the Lance/Red battle music, Clair's theme music, Eusine's theme music & the Route 2 music.

TwilightBlade and Leonhart like this.
  20. KyogreThunder

KyogreThunder Call of Fate

I really liked Route 29 theme, because it is cheerful and upbeat, Route 26/27 theme, because it is very fitting for a path that leads to Victory Road, and the Champion battle theme, because it sounds epic.
    Other themes I like are: Clair's encounter theme, wild Pokemon battle theme (Night), vs. Gym Leader, Indigo Plateau, Route 34.

Sakuyamon and Leonhart like this.