• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The music of GSC

Noa

Pokemon Crystal is my happy place
GSC had some really nice and memorable music, didn't it? Which is your favorite? I'm personally really fond of Goldenrod City's theme, it has such a comfy theme and when I hear I just feel kinda right. I especially like hearing it when it's night in the game, it sets a really nice mood.
I also like the theme that plays at the Lake of Rage, it has a real feel of 'you've come really far in your adventure."
And of course, no one can deny the game corner theme is an absolute jam.

What are your favorites?

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Loved everything but Dragon's Den. That song was/is like nails on a chalkboard. Rest of the music was/is fine.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I like most of the G/S/C soundtrack, except for the wild Pokemon battle theme. It just sounds very average to me even to this day. Some of my favorite tracks are the Champion battle theme, the Dragon's Den theme, and the Ice Path theme.

Reactions: Noa

NeganTheSavior

The Cavern theme and Ilex Forest themes in particular are very nostalgic for me.

The gym theme reminds me of how the Spearow in the first gym kept KO'ing all my mons and then asking my older sister (who knows nothing about video games) to beat it for me.

I remember thinking Professor Elm's theme sounded like "I've been working on the railroad" when hearing it for the first time. Still kinda do in a strange way.

Noa

Loved everything but Dragon's Den. That song was/is like nails on a chalkboard. Rest of the music was/is fine.

One time I set up a 'haunted house' in my room around halloween when i was a kid and played the dragon's den music specifically because it was so unsettling LOL

Leonhart

Imagineer
Noa said:
One time I set up a 'haunted house' in my room around halloween when i was a kid and played the dragon's den music specifically because it was so unsettling LOL

I've seen a lot of people describe the song as unsettling, but I don't think it's that bad. I think it fits the setting since the Dragon's Den is a mystical place. And I forgot to add this to my list before, but Ibuki's (Clair's) theme that plays in Crystal version is quite good as well. Too bad it's only heard one time.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
The entire soundtrack is just as iconic as the first gen's music, but the Ecruteak/Cianwood theme sticks out to me due to its somber tone. It sounds so sad because of the deep lore it invokes, and I love it. If I had to sum up Johto's theme in a piece of music, it'd be that, that's typically what I think back to first when I think of Johto.

The Ilex Forest/Ruins of Alph theme honestly creeps me out (in a good way). It's like the auditory embodiment of invisible eyes watching you, and I came to that conclusion thanks to the old lady NPC warning you to stay out of mischief while in Ilex because of the forest's protector always watching over it. Before I knew what Celebi even was (the in-game sprite doesn't help, actually...), I thought the protector wasn't exactly a very benevolent god, and so I hated having to go through the forest because I feared provoking this omnipotent protector.

I was a very imaginative nine-year-old lol.

RedBlastoise

Cerulean Blues
Gold, Silver and Crystal had the best game soundtrack out of all the games. I think my favorite pieces of music were Eusine's theme music and the Victory Road music. One thing that I wish we had in those games was remixed versions of the Cerulean theme and the Cinnabar Island theme from Generation 1.

Noa

The entire soundtrack is just as iconic as the first gen's music, but the Ecruteak/Cianwood theme sticks out to me due to its somber tone. It sounds so sad because of the deep lore it invokes, and I love it. If I had to sum up Johto's theme in a piece of music, it'd be that, that's typically what I think back to first when I think of Johto.

The Ilex Forest/Ruins of Alph theme honestly creeps me out (in a good way). It's like the auditory embodiment of invisible eyes watching you, and I came to that conclusion thanks to the old lady NPC warning you to stay out of mischief while in Ilex because of the forest's protector always watching over it. Before I knew what Celebi even was (the in-game sprite doesn't help, actually...), I thought the protector wasn't exactly a very benevolent god, and so I hated having to go through the forest because I feared provoking this omnipotent protector.

I was a very imaginative nine-year-old lol.
I agree, GSC did a really good job of setting the mood. Ilex Forest, the Ruins of Alph, Burnt Tower, all had really good atmospheres and I think it was greatly in part due to the music.

Leonhart

Imagineer
RedBlastoise said:
Gold, Silver and Crystal had the best game soundtrack out of all the games. I think my favorite pieces of music were Eusine's theme music and the Victory Road music. One thing that I wish we had in those games was remixed versions of the Cerulean theme and the Cinnabar Island theme from Generation 1.

I always thought that it was irritating how Hanada (Cerulean) City and Guren (Cinnabar) Island didn't have their Gen I theme songs in G/S/C and instead had the Tokiwa (Viridian) City theme music.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Twilight-Kun said:
Learned to love Buena's Password

I heard that theme so seldomly while playing Crystal version [because I always forgot when the program was on the radio] that I barely remembered what that theme sounded like until I looked it up just now. It's decent for a piece of music that only plays at certain times of day.

TwilightBlade

Gold, Silver and Crystal's soundtrack was flawless. The Johto city songs were all catchy and they get stuck in my head whenever I play the VC version of Crystal. My fav track is the Burned Tower music. :]

Leonhart

Imagineer
Venomshock said:
Cianwood/Ecruteak had the best music and I think it was a remix of a music track that played in Pokemon Pinball.

That theme from G/S/C did indeed share a few notes with the beginning section of the Red Field music in Pokemon Pinball. I figure that both games were probably being produced around the same time, so parts of the theme music got recycled.

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
Mt. Silver, Ice Path, Rt. 26, Burned Tower, Tin Tower, Surf, Johto and Kanto Gym Leader, Dragon Den and probably many more.

GSC had a flawless OST.