• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Music Phenomenom

Laser Shuckle

People today make millions of dollars off of sound recordings put together and expressed in a matter of minutes. people buy music constantly, it really is an addiction. but the fundamental seduction can't be explained by calling it a meme, because people listen to it regardless of other's viewpoints or influence. it is true that the influence of others drives some to buy certain music, but if left alone out of contact without society and culture people will still crave music if heard. While watching TV i heard a song i thought sounded cool so i went in search of it, not because of the lyrics, not because my friends or family supported the song, but because i loved the sound of it. you can break glass and make other random noise constantly and tell people it is music but they still won't want to hear it even though the the people who cause the noise claim it to be music. this Phenomenon isn't soley based off of someones influence towards another individual and there is no "gene" that expresses it. natural selection isn't at work with music becuase music never gets old and never goes extinct. music truly is immune to time, something that has seemed impossible in modern science. why do people find even music with no lyrics relaxing? something about music seems supernatural. it seems certain noises put together and expressed in a complex way sell millions of dollars and last longer than many things while other noises expressed and put together last a very short period of time and are unappealing to people.

so next time you listen to your favorite songs think about what motivates you to listen to music. what is music to you? and how does science explain this Phenomenom?

Poliwag2

ship it holla
Most successful music is well packaged entertainment. Be it a fresh faced pop star or a heavy metal band, the product includes an image and a sense of identity. Many people buy music to define who they are or to show others who they would like to be. Why else is music such a talking point amongst impressionable youths or during first encounters? In short, the music industry profits from human insecurities, individual aspirations and the need to belong.

At generally 3-5 minutes long, songs are easily consumed at minimal opportunity cost. Due to variations in taste, any song will have fans given enough exposure. What makes a song "good" is something less tangible and more difficult to explain objectively.

natural selection isn't at work with music becuase music never gets old and never goes extinct.

I disagree with this. Artists compete for contracts, exposure and fans. The "genes" of successful artists are passed on as influence of future generations. Unsuccessful artists are forgotten.

Last edited:

Laser Shuckle

In short, the music industry profits from human insecurities, individual aspirations and the need to belong.

this still doesn't explain songs without lyrics.

I disagree with this. Artists compete for contracts, exposure and fans. The "genes" of successful artists are passed on as influence of future generations. Unsuccessful artists are forgotten.

yes, they do compete. but it isn't a life or death struggle. 50 cent won't be forgotten just because kanye is out-selling him. there are no "genes" for music. like you said "What makes a song "good" is something less tangible and more difficult to explain" so you can't really say for sure that one song or album is better than the other, since there is variation but what makes music music is the human element. there are songs written hundreds of years ago that are still remembered. have you ever heard of the song classical gas? it has no lyrics but people still like listening to it. this proves that lyrics and shared curture in songs can't soley account for why people enjoy listening to music, as some would imagine. alot of people say rap is poetry. and it is, but a poem doesn't share the spotlight nearly as much as rap music does.. the difference? music. it doesn't go extinct unless you destroy all records of it and the people who have heard about the song. obviously this sort of event doesn't happen too often naturally, people never get tired of listening to the exact same song. when it does happen it usually isn't a result of no one liking the song either. death and extinction happen, but this fact doesn't prove that natural selection is at work. especially when dealing with music. animals won't enjoy music while people will, and there are no genes that can account for the addiction man has to music.

Last edited:

Nikacho

"Oh, HER again."
I suppose it's the human brain. Maybe the rhythm just attracts mortals us.

Hunter_RuLe

< Guess who's back?
Music has always been a popular way to express your identity. Music is of all times, what is new in our time is that companies do everything to create profit out of this demand for music.

Nikacho

"Oh, HER again."
Music has always been a popular way to express your identity. Music is of all times, what is new in our time is that companies do everything to create profit out of this demand for music.
Hes talking about WHY it even became that.

~;162;