• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Naruto anime boosts the sales of the Naruto manga

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogasu

Frustrated Elf
http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/7566.html

Just eight days after the premier of the Naruto anime on the Cartoon Network all seven volumes of the Naruto manga were in the top 20 with four titles in the top 10. What's the evidence that exposure on the Cartoon Network created new fans for the series? The first volume of the Naruto series came in second selling more copies than the most recent Naruto release (Vol. 7).

Pretty amazing, I must say.

Satoshi

リーリエの為に戦ってるトレーナー
It doesn't suprise me. Most anime influences the sales of manga pretty much. It is pretty amazing. I bet the same thing will happen with BoBoBo-Bo-Bo-BoBo's manga when the anime comes out.

Damn. it means onething, its only gonna be harder to find for real fans of the manga

Porygandrew

Eh, if I had a choice between listening to the dub or reading it myself, I would also choose reading the manga myself.

F

Flowers of Night

Oooh, this also happened when the Nana the Movie came out. Boosted sales of the tankouban so much...but that's besides the point. It's not all surprising to me at all though. As Satoshi said, the anime usually dictates the sale of the manga at some points...sometimes.

Manjoume

I was one of the people who helped. I was planning on getting one but I never got the chance. A few days after the anime I went to Barnes and Nobles and got Volume one. ;D

But I'm not to surprised that this happened.

Chris

Old Coot
Porygandrew said:
Eh, if I had a choice between listening to the dub or reading it myself, I would also choose reading the manga myself.
You nuts? o_O; At least the anime's dub is closer to the original than what Viz has been doing with the manga.

Good to hear. Although this doesn't suprise me. I figured this would end up happening. Everyone's gotta have SOMETHING related to the new, hot anime. XD

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
WanderingRhythmicalPhoenix said:
Damn. it means onething, its only gonna be harder to find for real fans of the manga

REAL FANS?!?! Holy CRAP you did NOT just say that. What makes you think that people who were introduced to it via the dub will be any less of loyal fans than people who've been following it in Japanese?

Brinstar

you suffer
Edward Elric said:
You nuts? o_O; At least the anime's dub is closer to the original than what Viz has been doing with the manga.

It goes down like this for me:

Scanlated Manga > Subbed Anime > Dubbed Anime > Viz Manga

still, I love my Naruto. And I'm glad to see it's doing well over here.

Porygandrew

Edward Elric said:

Good to hear. Although this doesn't suprise me. I figured this would end up happening. Everyone's gotta have SOMETHING related to the new, hot anime. XD

It's just that bad? Man, I didn't know Viz also screws up Manga. I suppose, though. I mean, it takes a lot less effort to screw up words than it does to rewrite entire dialogues.

With all tongue-in-cheek aside, Naruto should've been VA'ed by a GUY, but I do like his voice when he gets angry. I think that's the effect they were going for. Also, it's narUto, not NAruto as the dub leads one to believe. Loyal Naruto fans of mine refuse to watch the dub (as per my original comment), but I didn't know the manga translation was bad, also.

Blackjack Gabbiani said:
REAL FANS?!?! Holy CRAP you did NOT just say that. What makes you think that people who were introduced to it via the dub will be any less of loyal fans than people who've been following it in Japanese?
*hides* i raly only ment people who have been buyog the manga 'cause the read it in jump.
i coulda worded it better...

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
And what makes them any less of a fan?

Rex Kamex

Satoshi said:
It doesn't suprise me. Most anime influences the sales of manga pretty much. It is pretty amazing. I bet the same thing will happen with BoBoBo-Bo-Bo-BoBo's manga when the anime comes out.

Not exactly. The BoBoBo-Bo Bo-BoBo (Who names their child that?) show will be released this Saturday, while the first volume will be released in November.

I wonder though, did this sale thing also happen with One Piece?

Korobooshi Kojiro

Funnnngaaaaa
Brinstar said:
It goes down like this for me:

Scanlated Manga > Subbed Anime > Dubbed Anime > Viz Manga

still, I love my Naruto. And I'm glad to see it's doing well over here.

Sure, we all know that watching One Piece on 4kids is way better then reading a manga!

Anyway, this is kinda obvious this would happen. I mean, kids usually watch shows before reading, so seeing a show would make them get the manga.

Satoshi

リーリエの為に戦ってるトレーナー
MJC CartoGuy said:
Not exactly. The BoBoBo-Bo Bo-BoBo (Who names their child that?) show will be released this Saturday, while the first volume will be released in November.
I know that. I mean, once BoBoBo-Bo-Bo-BoBo airs, then people will get the manga as soon as it releases.
I'll get back to you on that.

ShiningClefairy

Meteor Trainer
Yep, since Naruto started airing, all of the volumes of the manga (1-5 @ my school) started appearing on my library shelves less.

Oh, and I know why the One Piece anime boosted the sales of the manga.

Anime Lover: I'd rather read the show than listen to this crap!

A

Asuka Tachibana

Satoshi said:
I know that. I mean, once BoBoBo-Bo-Bo-BoBo airs, then people will get the manga as soon as it releases.
I doubt that BoBoBo-Bo-Bo-BoBo is going to have the type of success Naruto is going to have. Its just too different.

Dogasu

Frustrated Elf
Porygandrew said:
Also, it's narUto, not NAruto as the dub leads one to believe.

The dub's pronouncing his name correctly. Toonami's commercials for the show, on the other hand, aren't.

Loyal Naruto fans of mine refuse to watch the dub (as per my original comment),

No, elitist "fans" who are afraid that their precious show is coming into the mainstream refuse to watch the dub.

Kojiro said:
Sure, we all know that watching One Piece on 4kids is way better then reading a manga!

I think Brinstar was referring to Naruto specifically. Not all series in general.

MJC CartoGuy said:

If it did, it didn't boost the sales nearly as much as Naruto's sales were boosted.

Chris

Old Coot
Porygandrew said:
With all tongue-in-cheek aside, Naruto should've been VA'ed by a GUY, but I do like his voice when he gets angry.
If by a kid, maybe. But there's no way they could get a grown man to do a 12 year old boy's voice. Last thing we need is another damn Vic Mignogna trying to sound like a kid and doing a poor job of it. The current VA is fine.

Porygandrew said:
Loyal Naruto fans of mine refuse to watch the dub (as per my original comment), but I didn't know the manga translation was bad, also.
Because we all know the dub is so much worse than the original and that the manga is perfect. There's no "Sexy Jutsu" in the manga. Instead, there's a "Ninja Centerfold."

Byakugan became the "Evil Eye." Neji references Rock Lee as having Moe Howard (Three Stooges) haircut. Gaara doesn't wanna kill people. He just says they're "dead meat" if they cross them.

;\ Get the drift?

Mimori Kiryu

I wasn't surprised when I saw this thread. I mean, I saw some seniors today at school with a collection of Naruto manga in Japanese. Where in hell they got it I dunno, but I'll become friends with them too...:D

I don't think Bobobo-bo-bo-bobo will be nearly as popular because of how different the content is. But that's just me. *shrugs*

Status
Not open for further replies.