• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The new age rating system on the Nintendo Revolution. Good or Bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, there has been a new age rating system on the revolution and it basically allows you or your parents to program in what type of games will or will not work on the Revolution. E.g. Your parents could simply prevent you from playing 15+, 16+ and 18+ games by typing in a password and changing the settings. they could also prevent you from playing any game with a certain level of violence on it despite its rating or they could prevent you from playing games that have bad language in them.

This is an idea that has good and bad points. This will stop a lot of children from buying a revolution incase their parents prevent them form playing 12+ games and then the can't play the new Metroid Prime game or a new Sims game or something.
This idea could be a good thing because it could encourage parents to buy the revolution for there children (especially for younger children) because a lot of adults believe that it is computer games which brought so much child crimes into the world.

I would like your views.

Chris

Old Coot
Who cares if it stops them from buying it? If they're not allowed to play it, then they're not allowed. That's not a bad point. I want kids to stay the hell away from the games they're not allowed to play. Why? Because everytime they do and something happens, some parent goes off the wall. And when that happens, Jack Thompson always has a bug up his ass and tries to jump in on it. Last thing I want are little kids' problems affecting the games I, a legal adult, play.

This is the absolute best thing Nintendo could do.

MidnightScott

Super Gamer
They could do more than just lockout kids. Besides, this news is a couple of months old...

But that doesn't stop me - my parents don't care what games I play, and I'm not a mental patient so it's ok. xD

I also look like a 20 year old - and I bought a game without any problems at GameStop ;)

~Scott;229;

Kakashi-Sharingan Warrior

I do think it is a good idea, around here I see 8 year olds playing 18 games, and this new feature could be a parent's god, seeing as they might not want their kids to learn foul language or see so much violance.

But a main problem is, Parents might not set the parental control on, which is just lazy.

Slypher

Every next gen console will have that feature, so its not like it'll only hurt the revolution for whatever reason. It's good, but pointless, because unless a child somehow recieved a volient game from someone, the parents wouldn't buy them a higher rated game if they knew about the parental control/rating system in the first place. Also, it's obvious about 2% of parents will actually use that feature :/

Kabuto

little punks!
A. F*** Jack Thompson.

B. Pretty good feature, younger children shouldn't be playing games that can corrupt their fragile little minds.

C. This won't affect me at all so I don't care. And like anyone will TELL their parents about this feature. Its just like TV, if you're parents allow you to watch family guy, then they'll let you play Resident Evil.

Skiks

MUCH RESPECT
Simple set the password before anyone else touches the system and be done with it. I mean who has parents that sets up a game for you? This will also keep people like Jack Thompson away from the nintendo console.

Yamato-san

I own the 5th gen
I just know that even with this feature, idiotic parents and Jack are still gonna be having lawsuits. The age-ratings on the game covers sure didn't help much, now did they? Ah well, it's a pretty good idea regardless, and if it makes an attack on video games less likely, so be it. I can't be directly affected if it was there or not, being 19 and with no intent on having children.

I agree with Ed, as it will keep ol' Jack off the Revolution, because if he tries something stupid, which is quite likely, knowing him, it is entirely the parent's fault for ignoring the safeguard of rating locks. No one can deny that. And about the kids playing M games, I totally agree. Taking karate, you meet your share of elementary school kids, and most come in talking about how they fragged some guy with a warthog on Xbox live last night. It has really gone too far when a group of 8-year olds know more about an M-rated game than the average teenager.

MidnightScott

Super Gamer
It's funny though. :eek:fftopic: - I was playing Shadow the Hedgehog - damn, if I was a little kid I would've been either scared or gone psycho. Also - Shadow seems to say Damn or Damnit everytime he gets hurt xD

Yeah, like anyone is gonna tell their parents about a lock feature.

America is too censored...I wish stuff was left alone...

~Scott;229;

Status
Not open for further replies.