• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The New Animation Style

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some little details in the animation I like:
- Satoshi's added hair over his ears. I think it makes him look way better imo
- The added fingernails and body shape of characters (slightly longer and thinner)
- The pokeball transitions in between scenes
- The V.S screen of two characters battling each other

Some of the things that definitely sold XY for me. Those four, plus the coloring and the aggressive, stylistic flow of the camera during battles, really gives the characters, battles, and other scenes more dynamic movement. It's really stunning, if you ignore all of those little problems in the proportioning.

I have started re-watching the original series alongside black and white and xy episodes. For nostalgia-sake, for which I am a sucker, since I've been watching from episode 1, I definitely prefer the oldest animation style.
That being said, I love that the animation style continues to change with the times, keeping younger audiences in mind with each new series, because that is by whom these new episodes are meant to be seen.
The only thing I don't really like, is how much team rocket has changed over the years in appearance. In some ways they seem more detailed, but in others less. Maybe they are just less expressive? I can't really put my finger on what it is.
Regardless, I am a fan of the new animation. :)

The only thing I don't really like, is how much team rocket has changed over the years in appearance. In some ways they seem more detailed, but in others less. Maybe they are just less expressive? I can't really put my finger on what it is.

I agree, something about XY's TR really sets me off. I think it might have to do with their lightly-colored eyes and their more evil faces.

Then, there's the photo of Jessie that Butler gave us. That too.

Soniman

Break the Limit
I personally don't see what so magical about the old animation, even a someone who grew up with it, it's some of the cheapest, cut corners animation I've have seen, considering this anime came out in 1997.

I personally don't see what so magical about the old animation, even a someone who grew up with it, it's some of the cheapest, cut corners animation I've have seen, considering this anime came out in 1997.

Well, it's the animation the older fans grew up with. It's a part of their treasured childhoods.

Sephora

yes I'm back

Nostalgia for people, I guess. And the fact that that was how "pokemon" was back then. I miss it, but I don't prefer it over this animation. It is like that for the games as well; yes they are nostalgic and great games but no one can deny that the graphics in the games today are better than before. I can't go back and play Red/Blue after XY lol. Not saying that for the anime (I love re-watching old stuff) but I mean it is obvious that the animation now is superior to the older series because the animators will just keep on improving. Who knows, in twenty years the series will be even more visually appealing than now!

Last edited:

Sure it was cheap, but it was the beginning! And there is just something very comfortable about it. I just fear they will change it so much that some day the characters may be unrecognizable to those who have been with it since the beginning.

However, by all means, it is for the better that the animation gets updated. They actually have the money for it now, so why not?

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.

I never thought that the animation in the first couple of seasons was great. However, I loved how almost every city looked dynamic and different unlike some of the newer cities that look exactly the same imo. Anyway, I love how fluid the battle scenes are in XY. I just wish the writing had improved to match the upgraded animation. :x

Ace Kenshader

Dreaming sexy
I agree, something about XY's TR really sets me off. I think it might have to do with their lightly-colored eyes and their more evil faces.

Then, there's the photo of Jessie that Butler gave us. That too.

Truth be told, they don't look much different from their B/W days, I guess the going back into their white outfits make the design flaws much more noticeable *shrug*

Soniman

Break the Limit
I never thought that the animation in the first couple of seasons was great. However, I loved how almost every city looked dynamic and different unlike some of the newer cities that look exactly the same imo. Anyway, I love how fluid the battle scenes are in XY. I just wish the writing had improved to match the upgraded animation. :x

Given how most so far would say the contrary, I would hazard a guess that you're not fond of the series so far then.

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
Yesterday episode is done by Tatsuya Annoura. His past episodes are: BW59 (Kami Trio I), 64(Dr. Juniper Ruin episode), 72 (Donamite III), 80 (Pinot Noir), II3 (Onix episode), II11 (Episode about Layla) and N1(Nonomi and Nuvema).

That's strange. His previous episodes all were pretty decently animated, so I can't imagine what went wrong yesterday.

XY7 (Rhyhorn Race and Serena) episode is done by Yu Uchida who9 has no episode listed.
XY8 (Frufrou) is doine by Mai Tsusumi, who has no episode listed.

Those, on the other hand, both were pretty poor, so it's not surprising to know they were new animators.

Soniman

Break the Limit
Or maybe he just had a bad day.

Then again I thought the Frufrou episode looked fine so what do I know..

Navin

MALDREAD
I hope the series can maintain that higher fluidity and crispness at least during battle sequences, but overall I think it's a slight improvement from past seasons. Still flawed as others have pointed out before, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

Sephora

yes I'm back
Makes me wonder...
Could the bad animation be because of new animators, or new technology? Apparently old animators are still being used and the episodes are still a bit terrible animation-wise.

The animation isn't that bad though. Sure a few shots have errors and some scenes are flawed (even though it's not too obvious for me), but I wouldn't go so far as to call it terrible animation-wise. It is a step up from the past for sure.
Every animation style has flaws in it; nothing is perfect.

Personally I am loving XY's animation style and it will probably improve along the way so I am not complaining. You make it sound like it's terrible terrible lol.

The animation isn't that bad though. Sure a few shots have errors and some scenes are flawed (even though it's not too obvious for me), but I wouldn't go so far as to call it terrible animation-wise. It is a step up from the past for sure.
Every animation style has flaws in it; nothing is perfect.

Personally I am loving XY's animation style and it will probably improve along the way so I am not complaining. You make it sound like it's terrible terrible lol.

People have been talking about the disproportion of the characters like it's been an issue, so I joined in.

I do love XY's animation though.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Given how most so far would say the contrary, I would hazard a guess that you're not fond of the series so far then.

I neither love it nor hate it. I'm sort of neutral about it so far. And I'm aware that most people sing praises about the XY saga, but I'm pretty sure that's only because the saga just started and there haven't been too many disappointments; it's still the "honeymoon" phase where most people don't notice XY's flaws but I'm sure that'll end eventually. Like I said, the animation has improved and that may be contributing to everyone's high expectations, but I don't think the writing has improved much so I don't think XY is any better than previous sagas despite the snazzy animation.

I neither love it nor hate it. I'm sort of neutral about it so far. And I'm aware that most people sing praises about the XY saga, but I'm pretty sure that's only because the saga just started and there haven't been too many disappointments; it's still the "honeymoon" phase where most people don't notice XY's flaws but I'm sure that'll end eventually. Like I said, the animation has improved and that may be contributing to everyone's high expectations, but I don't think the writing has improved much so I don't think XY is any better than previous sagas despite the snazzy animation.

I'm cautious about it too story-wise, but so far, it hasn't disappointed me that much, which is why you hear nothing but praise from me about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.