• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The NEW Artist's Corner [Images over 500 KB]

Status
Not open for further replies.

thunder2910

Loves pizza
I think W-Kyurem's eye looks a little too...round. I mean, I don't know if such an innocent looking eye fits with it.
B-Kyurem's feet look a little weird. And it's tail, the part that connects the generator to the everything else.
I think you did a better job with White Kyurem, though in general it's not bad (better than me, at least. lol).

Ah yes B.Kyurem's feet, thats what happens when I get too lazy and when I spend too long on something :p

Keysmash

buys meat
Hands are tough, I agree, though faces were always harder to me than lower bodies. Just one single stroke out of place and you ruin the whole thing...

(stylizes everything so that I have an excuse for drawing funky-looking fingers and body shapes)

Dragoniss

I'm 26 now, why am I still here?
Definitely more detailed than I can do. Ash's (im assuming) head looks a little strange, but its not like I could do better ^_^'

So this prismacolor color pencil set came with 3 neon colors... they glow under LED's :D Thats awesome.

Yeah I think I need to pull out his hair a bit more. it's a bit too short back there to be his wild mane.

Wait glowy colored pencils, that's awesome!

Sohryu

Be a Man!
So, I'm working on something and, after seeing some AWESOME jobs of Cloneydew, I decided to give sprites a chance, again. Specially on recoulours and fusions, and spriting as well. Any ideas on how to improve this one here:
DTX0FGN.png

I've did some changes, making his """hair""" (whatever that thing is...) longer, and I wanted to add some stuff as well, to make it as unique as possible. Suggestions?

Toyosatomimi no Miko

炎髪灼眼の討ち手
So, I'm working on something and, after seeing some AWESOME jobs of Cloneydew, I decided to give sprites a chance, again. Specially on recoulours and fusions, and spriting as well. Any ideas on how to improve this one here:
DTX0FGN.png

I've did some changes, making his """hair""" (whatever that thing is...) longer, and I wanted to add some stuff as well, to make it as unique as possible. Suggestions?
It's pretty good already.
I think the halo is a little thin though. It doesn't really matter though. It looks awesome.

AnakBaé

I've not really been finding it in myself to do original pieces of artwork recently, bar the ones I've been having to do for my A-level coursework. As a result, I've been doing a lot of copies and transcriptions, particularly to venture forth in my never-ending quest to master the art of watercolours.

This one I did for a friend's birthday - despite it being a shameless copy of official art, it did take me much longer than anticipated and the paint was very difficult to handle at parts - colour consistency and gradation of tones in particular giving me much grief. It did turn out ok (with the exception of the eyes), though it bothers me that my artistic skills at the present time seem to be unable to go beyond merely piggybacking off other people's pieces.

Also, pencil-only version before I applied paint.

SAM_2075_zpseb29599b.jpg

That's pretty cool! I really like the ornaments around the image. How long did it took to create this?

Any ideas on how to improve this one here:
DTX0FGN.png

Maybe adding something more for the lower part of its body, since its kinda plain. Maybe a longer "tails" or feathers? >.> That halo is a nice touch btw.

---

Currently practicing on drawing female anime chars, which is one of my weaknesses. I need pointers from anime enthusiasts/experts, so crits are welcome x] Here it is.

Keysmash

buys meat
Currently practicing on drawing female anime chars, which is one of my weaknesses. I need pointers from anime enthusiasts/experts, so crits are welcome x] Here it is.

Umm... I don't watch that much anime, and I'm certainly no expert, (I'm not even in high school yet, for god's sakes) but I'll give it a shot.

Here's a file with some lines and sketches I added. And... here are the explanations that go with it (please take what I say with a grain of salt, and keep in mind that what I say may not be entirely accurate).

[spoil] First off, what strikes me right away is her breasts. I imagine that this is a big part of why you said female characters are your weakness. I am going to go ahead and assume that you are male, because this isn't really how breasts work.

At the core, breasts are fatty. They're certainly not entirely composed of it (what would be the point of that?) but it is of a very similar... feeling? Breasts naturally fall downwards because of gravity. I don't think that the binds the female character is wearing are tight enough to pull them very far up (it would be hard to breathe if it were that tight, as it isn't a proper chest binding material), so most of the weight in them would fall downwards, making a kind of... waterdrop shape? However, since your character is wearing binds, it still works to some effect of binding them. The breasts would fall out and downwards, so there'd be stretch in between them, no matter how big they are. They would not in any standard clothing look like two distinct ones.

Now that that's out of the way, I don't really feel like elaborating on much else. Her torso/midriff is much too long, and by consequence, her arms. I also think her legs are long, and the angle her thigh is going, her calf will be too small. Her hips are uneven, I think. Her hipline things (I don't know what they're called) are below the belly button, and form a kind of triangular shape with the crotch area. Her skull is a bit too high at the top. Assuming none of this is just artistic choice!

[/spoil]

Um, sorry if I came off as picky, or rude. 0_0

Toyosatomimi no Miko

炎髪灼眼の討ち手
Umm... I don't watch that much anime, and I'm certainly no expert, (I'm not even in high school yet, for god's sakes) but I'll give it a shot.

Here's a file with some lines and sketches I added. And... here are the explanations that go with it (please take what I say with a grain of salt, and keep in mind that what I say may not be entirely accurate).

[spoil] First off, what strikes me right away is her breasts. I imagine that this is a big part of why you said female characters are your weakness. I am going to go ahead and assume that you are male, because this isn't really how breasts work.

At the core, breasts are fatty. They're certainly not entirely composed of it (what would be the point of that?) but it is of a very similar... feeling? Breasts naturally fall downwards because of gravity. I don't think that the binds the female character is wearing are tight enough to pull them very far up (it would be hard to breathe if it were that tight, as it isn't a proper chest binding material), so most of the weight in them would fall downwards, making a kind of... waterdrop shape? However, since your character is wearing binds, it still works to some effect of binding them. The breasts would fall out and downwards, so there'd be stretch in between them, no matter how big they are. They would not in any standard clothing look like two distinct ones.

Now that that's out of the way, I don't really feel like elaborating on much else. Her torso/midriff is much too long, and by consequence, her arms. I also think her legs are long, and the angle her thigh is going, her calf will be too small. Her hips are uneven, I think. Her hipline things (I don't know what they're called) are below the belly button, and form a kind of triangular shape with the crotch area. Her skull is a bit too high at the top. Assuming none of this is just artistic choice!

[/spoil]

I'm not in high school nor am I an expert at art, but I like to think I'm fairly knowledgeable about anime. (guess where all of my free time goes)
Your thing about the breasts is for the most part correct, as is your sketch of it. As a side note though, the chest in anime has...unique properties, let's say. They have strange physics and defy the laws that rule the universe. Yeah. I'll leave it there.

The body is way too long and kind of skinny. The size of the legs and the chest make the torso look stick-y. I mean, yeah, there are skinny people, but usually they don't have such curves.
The bandages (well, something like that) that bind the chest should not be separate, it should go straight across both of them and around. Having then this way makes them seen either a) disconnected, which would mean she kind of paper mached herself with bandages, or b) they follow the curves of the body, hitting the sternum/collarbone/whatever it is and then going back up (which, I can guarantee, unless the person is a masochist or really used to these things, will feel really uncomfortable).
There should be more hair on the right (her right), there's a whole lot on the left which would make sense if it hung over and in front of her shoulder.
The arms might need a little fattening, but it's alright, I guess.
The left (again, her left) eye is a little big. Though I'm not terribly sure. It could (and probably is) be fine this way.
^not all of that is accurate, there are many styles to drawing anime and so it's really up to you^
It's a pretty good drawing tbh.

AnakBaé

First off, what strikes me right away isher breasts.I imagine that this is a big part of why you said female characters are your weakness.I am going to go ahead and assume that you are male, because this isn't really how breasts work.

[/spoil]

Bam. You hit the nail on the head lol. Yeah, I've spent most of my career drawing objects/muscular characters and just started drawing female figures. Without reference images, ideal boobs and hips are quite hard to draw for me sometimes tbh. Oh well, I'll need to inspect more images shape to improve then lol.

And for the breastband, for the shape it is round/tight because its wrapped. Maybe its too tight? Not sure. I just read Toyosatomimi no Miko's response and found the mistake x]

Hmmm other than that, I think the stuff such as head shape, eyes, shoulder length, etc. varies from artist to artist, since I noticed how some great examples commonly have different styles (and the fact that I fail to see something wrong with some of em.) Maybe I'll notice after a couple projects and look back at this one for comparison >.>

Nah don't worry, its a part of learning. I got used to critiques lol.
Thanks for your time, Keysmash. I appreciate it. :]

I'm not in high school nor am I an expert at art, but I like to think I'm fairly knowledgeable about anime. (guess where all of my free time goes)
Your thing about the breasts is for the most part correct, as is your sketch of it. As a side note though, the chest in anime has...unique properties, let's say. They have strange physics and defy the laws that rule the universe. Yeah. I'll leave it there.

The body is way too long and kind of skinny. The size of the legs and the chest make the torso look stick-y. I mean, yeah, there are skinny people, but usually they don't have such curves.
The bandages (well, something like that) that bind the chest should not be separate, it should go straight across both of them and around. Having then this way makes them seen either a) disconnected, which would mean she kind of paper mached herself with bandages, or b) they follow the curves of the body, hitting the sternum/collarbone/whatever it is and then going back up (which, I can guarantee, unless the person is a masochist or really used to these things, will feel really uncomfortable).
There should be more hair on the right (her right), there's a whole lot on the left which would make sense if it hung over and in front of her shoulder.
The arms might need a little fattening, but it's alright, I guess.
The left (again, her left) eye is a little big. Though I'm not terribly sure. It could (and probably is) be fine this way.
^not all of that is accurate, there are many styles to drawing anime and so it's really up to you^
It's a pretty good drawing tbh.

LOL I'll keep that in mind.

I guess. I tried to draw some shorter figures before, but a friend of mine told me that they were too short, so I tried to avoid that for this one.

waw I agree about the breastband gap; there shouldnt be a gap for such bandage wrapped outfit. thanks for pointing that out. I was confused about what kind of outfit I'm going to give to her.

Couldn't agree more, but still you know. I can't just ignore mistakes. Otherwise it will become my style x]

Thank you for your time, Miko I appreciate it :]

Keysmash

buys meat
I tried doing a perspective work of one of my characters - some kind of over-the-head view, where the feet look really tiny and the head really big because of how perspective works... And I failed :/ Body should have been more... under her, I guess, with the position of her head and the shading, etc. *sigh*
Oh well, color pencil practice, I guess. *shrug*

I don't know, I kinda like it... but what you said is right, maybe her body should be farther back/down/whatever. And there's something a bit off about her elbows/forearms too... nevertheless, your colour pencil skills are way better than mine lol.

Oh boy-- perspective I find really hard, unless you're doing some kind of 'vanishing point' drawing (which never does anything but make it ugly imo). Most of my art is super flat, I'd really like to work on that, but god, how?? :(

Avenger Angel

Warrior of Heaven
I tried doing a perspective work of one of my characters - some kind of over-the-head view, where the feet look really tiny and the head really big because of how perspective works... And I failed :/ Body should have been more... under her, I guess, with the position of her head and the shading, etc. *sigh*
Oh well, color pencil practice, I guess. *shrug*

You did a good job, though! I'll admit, I've tried this too with a character holding a firearm up in the viewer's face. That often required the gun to look drastically larger, which didn't always turn out right.

But yeah, when it comes to drawn art, ugh, getting the proportions just right is my ultimate nemesis.

Poetry

Dancing Mad
Holy cow that looks really cool! The paint work looks excellent! Watercolors are REALLY hard to use, so for you to be able to do that is amazing! I wish I were that good.

Thanks! I've been practicing with watercolours for a good few years now, so I like to think I've learned a couple of tricks or two in how to use them effectively. I've still a long way to go in improving, but haven't we all, to be fair? =p From my personal experience, it just takes time, patience and an ability to embrace mistakes and everything else usually just follows. Keep at it!

That's pretty cool! I really like the ornaments around the image. How long did it took to create this?

Let me think... roughly five hours a day for about five or six days on end of work... equals out to about 25/30 hours - which sounds like a stupidly long amount of time to spend on one piece, but when you're caught up in that whirlwind of obsession and perfectionism, it's very very easy to lose track of time. Just creating the pencil outline for the base of the image must've taken up at least a third of the entire process, and even now looking back on it I'm still not happy with some of the arrangements and proportions!

So a while back in the old thread I reported on how I'm embarking on a quest to produce a series of travel posters based on fictional locations (the first few of which are in the OP), and I've finally found the time to photograph and upload the ones I'd completed on A3 in my sketchbook. This really is one of the most comprehensive projects I've ever worked on as part of my art coursework, and it staggers me to think that despite the volume of work I've created and put so much effort into (this is only the first section of my portfolio, btw), I'm still going to have to do a lot more in order to achieve the grades I want. I'm hoping that you, like the examiner, will be able to see some semblance of progression and improvement as you go down the page!

Pretty much every piece I've done for the first part of my coursework is presented here, in chronological order and with notes and commentary (so opening the tags in order is recommended). So yeah, just enjoy yourselves, I guess, and stay tuned for more poster crap to come.

Using a watercolour of Cocoon I completed a while back as the basis (you can see it in the OP), this was my first stab at a proper poster layout with a simplified shape of Cocoon as the focus. I remember foolishly choosing to carve out the shape from a very thick card, and so had a really difficult time getting the knife deep enough to make the appropriate incisions.

You can also see the little sticky-outy bit on the top edge which tore off and so had to be stuck back on again with a Pritt stick.

SAM_2136_zps52564522.jpg

I had a few stencils left over from creating the first Cocoon poster, so I also whipped up another similar poster using just the outline with blue gel pen. This one feels slightly more faithful to the game itself, given the neon effect of the outline.

Well it's blue, at least - that's close enough, right?

d28db30a-69a0-4e32-9e66-c8ccbb57498a_zps52f97305.jpg

It was around this time that I realised block colours and simple outlines were a little boring to use in posters, so I needed something new - something bold and exciting. Also using an earlier watercolour painting as a basis, I created this poster, this time utilising two hitherto untested methods of applying paint; splattering watercolour with a large brush to create that Pollock-esque effect, and layering on acrylic with a rounded bunch of tissue to add to the abstract-ness. I didn't think the splatters worked very well, but this technique of applying acrylic seemed to work well, so I stuck to it and went on to see what else I could do with it.

SAM_2137_zps84318509.jpg

Without hesitation I created another poster in the same style, this time opting for a different colour palette and dropping the splatter effect to keep the texture sorely "within" the subject matter. It was also around this time that I became much more handy with a knife in carving out intricate shapes - something which would serve me very well later on.

It was a very happy accident that the reference lines I used when drawing the dodecagon worked pretty well with the poster overall. It would have saved a crapload of time (and also looked better) if I'd have learned how to draw a perfect one with a ruler and compass, but... well, really, who has the time?

SAM_2139_zps64c04917.jpg

So here came my only real disaster of my project (so far!). I had made a pretty stencil drawing of Ho-Oh, again using an earlier watercolour for reference, and applied a browny-rusty sort of texture to it to give it a real vintage feel. I carved out every letter by hand and everything was going fine - it was one of my favourite pieces I'd produced and I was feeling quite proud of myself.

Capture_zps59a98439.jpg

Well, until this happened.

SAM_2142_zps682ed217.jpg

I had stupidly left a sheet of paper on which I was trying to recreate the rusty texture effect in my book right on the opposite page of this piece, and without thinking I had turned the page to something else while the paint was still wet - which meant that a lot of it transferred onto the page and subsequently ruined the pristine perfect-ness of the poster. Looking back now I realise it could've been a lot worse, but well... it was fairly upsetting to see and I don't think I've actually fully gotten over it yet, to be honest; I still can't really look at it without thinking how much of an idiot I was to do such a thing. Well, there's a lesson to be learnt here, I suppose. Don't become emotionally attached to your artwork!

But anyway. I still had the piece of paper from which I had cut out the Ho-Oh to use in the previous poster, and I realised that instead of throwing it away, the sheet of paint with a big Ho-Oh shaped hole in the middle could be turned into a poster on its own. The result was kinda like a reverse poster from the last - the black empty space and the brown texture swap sides, creating a sort of alternate view of the same subject which I found interesting.

SAM_2143_zpsf6aaf274.jpg

After agonising for hours over cutting out the letters of the previous one, I really couldn't face up to doing it all over again, so I just drew on a border and lettering with a black marker. It's starting to fade a little bit now, but I can always go over it again with the same pen, you know, if I have the time or the motivation to. Of which I have neither.

SAM_2144_zps101eb8ac.jpg

I took a little break from the acrylic textures and decided to try going back to good old watercolours for a while. There's not much to say about this one, just that the silhouettes were a total b*tch to carve out with a knife. Damn you, Yuna!

I couldn't figure out how to implement the lettering, so I decided to go for the subtle, understated and minimal (read: lazy) route and just write it out in pencil.

SAM_2140_zps2c78915b.jpg

SAM_2141_zpsf8d8a52e.jpg

Despite the pretty and quaint nature of watercolours, I wanted to go back to the punchyness of the acrylic textures. With this one I went for much more broad and darker texture, using mixes of black, white, grey and blue paints to create a rough, stormy kind of look. Gold paper was used to accentuate the silhouette since the tone of the two coloured textures were a little too similar for the cut-out to properly stand out.

Not only does this texture look great in the artwork, but making them and experimenting with different colours and techniques was a lot of fun as well.

SAM_2158_zps0f6ce398.jpg

SAM_2159_zps6b41b7de.jpg

Alright, now here's where things get interesting. It occurred to me that the two clashing textures might look a little too busy on the paper, so I started searching around for a new texture I could fill the image in with. Block colours were too boring, and acrylic didn't seem to hold any answers, so it wasn't until my teacher gave me a set of little ink pots to experiment with that I found my answer: marbling.

For those of you unfamiliar with the process, you basically drop little amounts of oil-based inks onto a big water-filled dish and swirl the inks around with a stick - putting a piece of paper on top captures the swirls of the inks and creates an amazing, abstract swirly pattern. I quickly fell in love with the process, and after a little trial and error, I had something useable to put into a poster.

SAM_2151_zps6bb8f488.jpg

SAM_2162_zps38d9c257.jpg

SAM_2154_zps2ab3bd3c.jpg

I pretty much ran with the process and got a good few sheets of marbled inks of varying quality. A lot of them didn't turn out the way I wanted them to, and the experimentation with colours meant that it was difficult for me to find a use for a lot of them as they simply didn't fit in with my subject matters. A couple did turn out alright though, and produced some very interesting results.

This one was actually one of the ones which I'd dismissed as dud, but to my surprise, I gave it a chance and in the end the unique effect actually fitted in pretty well with my Cocoon motif. The picture just doesn't do the silvery-green sheen of the ink justice at all.

SAM_2148_zpsaa49c629.jpg

SAM_2150_zps92c6aa23.jpg

Last but by no means least, I decided to return to my Clock Town theme and produce this poster, combining both my rough acrylic paint texture and my beautiful, delicate abstract marbling effects together. The clock and the letters were again very time-consuming to cut out, but I'm so happy with the end result, it definitely felt like it was worth the effort.

Might actually return to this at a later date and add a border or something.

SAM_2155_zps5fa5978e.jpg

SAM_2156_zpsc436f5ff.jpg

Last edited:

Cloneydew2000

WildScraggyAppeared!
Here's something I did earlier. I know the Pokemon included are not exactly the same as the proper designs, for instance the number of spines on maractus but oh well, you can still tell what it is. Does it seem like something I should finish off?

ScraggyBurst_zpsaeef6d0f.jpg

Keysmash

buys meat
I'm not going to quote-reply your post (it's very long) Poetry, but god you are so talented. That looks like the kind of thing that would be hard even using digital art programs! I really like your usage of textures, which can be really difficult, especially paints like watercolour. I can't really give you any advice, though, as I'm not particularly well-versed in painting.

Here's something I did earlier. I know the Pokemon included are not exactly the same as the proper designs, for instance the number of spines on maractus but oh well, you can still tell what it is. Does it seem like something I should finish off?

It depends, are you looking to add more detail? If that's a standard-sized paper, leaving that much blank grass/sky even if you colour it would seem a bit of a waste. I think it'd look really nice if you were to add more Pokemon or other things in the background.

*ahem* As for myself, I finally handed in a big art project I've been procrastinating on. Due today, finished it last night, just in time. It was really really bad. Now, modesty aside... it was really really bad. I was going to take a picture and post it, but no camera should feel that much shame.

So, after wrapping up the disaster, I decided to do something good for myself at 11:30 pm, namely a 'draw-it-again' type of deal. I hate to admit it, but I'm not half as good at drawing as I am fast. Quick sketches and messy blots of colour are my specialty.

This is an idea for a Snivy-type OC girl thing (??) that I've had floating around since PMD Gates to Infinity came out. The first one was drawn December 27th last year, the second one last night. Both of them were done in about 5 minutes. 5 months, huh... well... I mean... it could be worse...?

ytrx.png

1pop.png

Brutaka

Ignition
This is an idea for a Snivy-type OC girl thing (??) that I've had floating around since PMD Gates to Infinity came out. The first one was drawn December 27th last year, the second one last night. Both of them were done in about 5 minutes. 5 months, huh... well... I mean... it could be worse...?

Is it bad that I like the first one better D:

Okay, so I'm about to start on a big project (comparative to my normal stuff) and I need to know which of these four designs are the best. Basically, I'm going to draw a huge version of my OC Melody to pin to my wall like a poor boy's mural but I need to know which design you think looks the best. Ultimately, I realize that it is my choice, but I do appreciate the opinions of others. So, to recap, look at the design, not the skill level of the drawings (since some of these are old):

The Original Design:
melody_03_by_brutakablaziken-d5s6fof.png

The Modest/Disguise Design:
melody_by_brutakablaziken-d6lx28a.png

The Fantasy Design:
melody_06_by_brutakablaziken-d73fqov.png

The Modern Design:
melody_07_by_brutakablaziken-d7f7u26.png

Poetry

Dancing Mad
@Keysmash - Thank you! I'm not exactly sure how difficult it would be to reproduce those kind of textures in a digital art program, but creating textures with paint is actually fairly easy; it's mostly about keeping an eye on the distribution of paint on the paper and control on how much you're putting on, I've found . But in the end just take into account that wild, uninhibited artistic experimentation is one of the best ways to get interesting results.

As for your work, I have agree with Brutaka - I also prefer the first one. If the intention was sorely create an OC based around Snivy, then you really did hit the mark much better with the first piece. Not only do the colours seem more faithful to its original design, but the shape of the end-hair piece and the collar just seem far more accurate than the second one. I do think the piece would benefit with some more details to the eyes though, and maybe some shading/colour for the face?

@Brutaka - I don't think it's altogether that easy to discard skill level when looking at the designs, as (very) generally speaking, when it comes to drawing faces/characters, more skill = more detail, and more detail = better design. Because of that, I'd say my favourite is the last one, though whether that can be attributed to actual superior design or just superior drawing skill is very, very difficult. I've tried looking at all four impartially on a design basis, but like I said, it's difficult to when there's such a divide in quality of shading/colour/detail. The fact also that the character in the first two has her eyes closed makes it even more tricky, as the eyes in the last two really do add to the feel of the piece (you do lovely eyes). But yeah, it's entirely up to you, I'm just rambling.

So just for the fun of it, I made some more acrylic textures, quite similar to the ones I've previously done before. It's so much fun creating these, it's a little addictive.

e33fae38-a5a2-48d0-96ec-8997e868d11a_zpsb2d52161.jpg

cb89bbb1-5f30-485b-81a2-d917e804fa70_zpsb00fe7f3.jpg

Also did an additional Cocoon sketch as a basis for future templates because I wasn't happy with the level of detail in my previous ones. This one'll be much more difficult to carve out in paper, but I'm hoping the effort'll be worth it.

For some reason every time I look at this I'm reminded irresistibly of the shape of Lightning's head.

dbb21b0b-9fcd-4cd1-ad3c-a10984142953_zps2c6867d0.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.