• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The NEW Artist's Corner [Images over 500 KB]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brutaka

Ignition
@Brutaka - I don't think it's altogether that easy to discard skill level when looking at the designs, as (very) generally speaking, when it comes to drawing faces/characters, more skill = more detail, and more detail = better design. Because of that, I'd say my favourite is the last one, though whether that can be attributed to actual superior design or just superior drawing skill is very, very difficult. I've tried looking at all four impartially on a design basis, but like I said, it's difficult to when there's such a divide in quality of shading/colour/detail. The fact also that the character in the first two has her eyes closed makes it even more tricky, as the eyes in the last two really do add to the feel of the piece (you do lovely eyes). But yeah, it's entirely up to you, I'm just rambling.

I suppose your right... Hm... Maybe if I make a sketch with the four designs next to each other, all drawn at my current skill level...

Keysmash

buys meat
I suppose your right... Hm... Maybe if I make a sketch with the four designs next to each other, all drawn at my current skill level...

It'd look really nice, too, seeing how much you've improved ;)

Thanks for your feedback, though I guess the reason I deviated more from the original design in the second one was because I was trying to make it easier on the eyes lol. Also, I wasn't very happy with the colours in the first one, they seemed kind of... off.

Toyosatomimi no Miko

炎髪灼眼の討ち手
You are amazing at this thing. I think the Clock Town ones are my favorites, but ermahgershes they are like the spawn of a god.
I...actually also like the first one more ^_^'' It's not that the second one is bad, the first one just fits Snivy more (and here I am repeating what others have said).
Thanks for your feedback, though I guess the reason I deviated more from the original design in the second one was because I was trying to make it easier on the eyes lol. Also, I wasn't very happy with the colours in the first one, they seemed kind of... off.
I actually think the first one had the more accurate colors, the second one was a little too dark imo.

They're all quite good, I like the second and fourth ones the most. I do like the headphones thing in the first one (if those are actually headphones). Any one of the designs would look good on a wall though.

TheCharredDragon

Tis the Hour to Reload
Hello there everyone! I know I'm not an "official member" of the new club but since people did this (posting even though they're not yet accepted) before... I thought I'd do it too. ^^; Oh, by the ways, thanks to those who answered my previous question.

Anyways... I've recently tried making banners and these are what I've posted so far...

lost_banner_by_cchariz-d7fi2kt.png

krokorok_banner_by_cchariz-d7fi3cm.png

palkia_banner_by_cchariz-d7fi56i.png

Constructive criticism is appreciated and for those who might ask, I did them on Sumopaint.

Keysmash

buys meat
@TheCharredDragon

I think it should be fine, OP said we could start posting ourselves.

You've got a good start on those banners! I think you could add more effects to the text to make it stand out, and add diverse textures to the Pokemon or just to the banner in the general. (Don't add too many though, focus on what you want to try and convey in the banner-- what do you want to catch the person's attention with? What's the center of attention, the main idea?) I don't want to be too specific though, as I'm not sure of the full capabilities of your program. As long as it's got layers though (which I think it does) it should be more than enough.

On a somewhat related note, I haven't made banners for... god, just checked the files history, and it's been literally over a year since I've made any. Could've sworn it was only a few months... this is the most recent one then.
u78v.png

Also, I'm starting to recognize some of your styles by name now, which is pretty awesome. Clubs are generally more fun than threads imo because you get more familiar with the people there.

Toyosatomimi no Miko

炎髪灼眼の討ち手
Try adding more effects, like outlining text, using brushes, etc. Most people start from around your level (including me) ;0
This and this are two things I did on Sumopaint during summer 2013, since I was using a different computer and didn't have Pshop with me. So there's definitely a lot of things possible with Sumopaint. Play around with it, that's how I learned to use GIMP, Pshop and Sumopaint.

I'm 12 right now atm +_+

TheCharredDragon

Tis the Hour to Reload
@Keysmash

Ah, I see... Well, thanks for the advice! Oh, and the banner's pretty good in my opinion. At least nicer than the banners I've made. XD

@Toyosatomimi no Miko

I still have no idea how to outline text... Can anyone tell me how? Oh! If that's a possibility, than I guess I'll keep trying. Well... That's what I was doing with the two bottom banners.

Thank you for the advice!

Sohryu

Be a Man!
I still have no idea how to outline text... Can anyone tell me how?

Outlines = "Borders", ain't I right?
Well, on GIMP, I do this:
> Alpha To Selection (I think SP have it?)
> Grow selection, by 2 or 3, depending on font
>New Layer
> Fill to colour tool
>Fill whole selection

Done.

Anyway, if you can't use brushes, get a background here and there and mess with the Smudge Tool, until you get the desired background colour and even effect (maybe flow).
Does Sumo Paint have layer effects? Look at those two sigs:
asuka_langley__sig_request__by_sohryu01-d7dvzgl.png

They're really simple and just work with brushes and layers, and colours. That's my style, actually, haha! I don't use themes, rather, just colours and some brushes. Reason why I fail at this.

EDIT: HELL, WHY I CAN'T HAVE 2 IMAGES ON A SPOILER!!!

Last edited:

Toyosatomimi no Miko

炎髪灼眼の討ち手
@Toyosatomimi no Miko

I still have no idea how to outline text... Can anyone tell me how? Oh! If that's a possibility, than I guess I'll keep trying. Well... That's what I was doing with the two bottom banners.

Thank you for the advice!
I think it's
Select the layer (click in the box)
Layer > Layer effects > Stroke
Then select the color, size, etc.
Outlines = "Borders", ain't I right?
Well, on GIMP, I do this:
> Alpha To Selection (I think SP have it?)
> Grow selection, by 2 or 3, depending on font
>New Layer
> Fill to colour tool
>Fill whole selection

Done.

Anyway, if you can't use brushes, get a background here and there and mess with the Smudge Tool, until you get the desired background colour and even effect (maybe flow).
Does Sumo Paint have layer effects? Look at those two sigs:
asuka_langley__sig_request__by_sohryu01-d7dvzgl.png

They're really simple and just work with brushes and layers, and colours. That's my style, actually, haha! I don't use themes, rather, just colours and some brushes. Reason why I fail at this.

EDIT: HELL, WHY I CAN'T HAVE 2 IMAGES ON A SPOILER!!!

Yes, I'm pretty sure it does, as I used C4Ds on the banners mentioned before. There are some tuts for Sumopaint here.

TheCharredDragon

Tis the Hour to Reload
@Akanjão

Borders for the entire banner? No, I meant for text but thanks for that as I tried making a border for a banner (I've yet to post) myself, it didn't look as nice as I wanted. XD

@Toyosatomimi no Miko

Ah, okay. I'll try that too when I have the chance. Thanks again!

Sohryu

Be a Man!
@Akanjão

Borders for the entire banner? No, I meant for text but thanks for that as I tried making a border for a banner (I've yet to post) myself, it didn't look as nice as I wanted. XD

No, no. I meant text borders, hehe. At least that's how I refer to it. Thing is that I forgot to mention "text" on my post.

Anyway, they're needed in some banners too, depending on what you're aiming to. I usually use small sized borders, but I have seen some guys using some thick ones and I think it's weird on all situations.

I'm going to do a request for you, hehe!

Avenger Angel

Warrior of Heaven
I don't know if it's my place to propose ideas, but what if we were to set up 'art trades' in this club? It could be fun :D

I'd be game for that. I think that's more fun and fair as opposed to setting up a freebie request thread and then getting flooded by people. XD

We could also do the Artist Switch Around meme where one artist sketches, the next does the line art, and the third does the coloring and shading. Looks like it produces some pretty cool results.

Sohryu

Be a Man!
May I ask one thing to all you guys?
Angel meant sketching and then do the lineart, and from what I'm seeing on dA, there's some really rough sketches but it gets better on the lineart.
So, if I do a sketch, and let's suppose it's weird, a lot... Can I make it better when I'm going to do the lineart? I'm confused here.

I'd be game for that. I think that's more fun and fair as opposed to setting up a freebie request thread and then getting flooded by people. XD

How'd that work, if someone care to explain, hehe.

]We could also do the Artist Switch Around meme where one artist sketches, the next does the line art, and the third does the coloring and shading. Looks like it produces some pretty cool results.

Oh man that sounds cool! I'm looking forward to see what you guys can do with! I'm really anxious. Maybe I could put my hands at colouring, but eh, I never tried and I'm too afraid to mess anything hehe.

Kaiserin

please wake up...
I've been seriously struggling with depression lately, but I SHOULD be caught up on applications now -- let me know if I missed anybody, or if I've made any errors! As such, I also have nothing really new to offer... hopefully I can drag myself out of the abyss soon, though. ><

I'd like to join the Artist's Corner!

Username:woebegonenick
Nickname:nick
What art you enjoy doing:ghapich and drawing
How you became interested in art:When Mew had his artshop

I've added you provisionally, but please use the updated form when joining!

Avenger Angel

Warrior of Heaven
May I ask one thing to all you guys?
Angel meant sketching and then do the lineart, and from what I'm seeing on dA, there's some really rough sketches but it gets better on the lineart.
So, if I do a sketch, and let's suppose it's weird, a lot... Can I make it better when I'm going to do the lineart? I'm confused here.

Well, here's how it works. Artist 1 makes the sketch, then hands it off to Artist 2. Artist two does the line art, which could include a few minor changes, but likely nothing that significantly deviates from the sketch. Artist 2 then hands the lineart off to Artist 3 who does the coloring and shading.

In the link, phuiJL, Mizamy, and griffsnuff had it set up this way. Let's say phuiJL is Artist 1, griffsnuff is Artist 2, and Mizamy is Artist 3.

Picture #1
Artist 1's Sketch > Artist 2's Line Art > Artist 3's Coloring

Picture #2
Artist 3's Sketch > Artist 1's Line Art > Artist 2's Coloring

Picture #3
Artist 2's Sketch > Artist 3's Line Art > Artist 1's Coloring

Basically, all three artists perform all three steps, but each step goes toward a different picture.

We don't have to it like this, we could just have one person post up a sketch, another person picks it up and does the line art, and the third does the coloring. Either way, it makes for an interesting learning experience.

How'd that work, if someone care to explain, hehe.

It's not too complicated. Basically, an art trade is where you make a request to one artist and they make what you want, and at the same time, they make a request to you and you make what they want.

Toyosatomimi no Miko

炎髪灼眼の討ち手
I don't know if it's my place to propose ideas, but what if we were to set up 'art trades' in this club? It could be fun :D
Not necessarily lol. I guess I just started earlier.

That does sound fun. I'd like to try it.

We could also do the Artist Switch Around meme where one artist sketches, the next does the line art, and the third does the coloring and shading. Looks like it produces some pretty cool results.
This sounds interesting too. I suck (and I mean like I really suck) at sketches/lineart, coloring I guess I'm alright at best. It'd be good practice I guess.

Kaiserin

please wake up...
I would be interested in trying a collaboration effort like the one being described, too, once I'm out of this slump and can actually commit to finishing something like that. The thing with art trades is in making sure people actually fulfill their end of the deal, and making certain no one ends up disappointed if they don't, too -- if we did it, we'd probably have to get people on backup to fill requests just in case someone has to bail. I'm always open to hearing ideas for events and fun things we can do, though!

Keysmash

buys meat
Maybe some kind of chart or plan can be set up in the OP? In previous clubs, I've seen events organized on the OP (such as 'CURRENT CHALLENGE:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, lasting until xxx Participants: xxxxxx') that were organized based on the general availability of members. I think about a week of time was given for the participants to do their thing, maybe we can link to some kind of off-site poll to see which option people prefer? Then again, that club was rather small compared to this one, so I'm not sure it'll work.

Status
Not open for further replies.