• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The new fossil Pokémon

Bus

For what it's worth, they seem happy enough in-game. Dracovish certainly doesn't act like it can't breathe, it runs and plays like other pokemon in camp.

To make it even more clear, she wears mismatched shoes.
Really? I never noticed. I wasn't looking at her feet lol

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Cara Liss and her unique character model makes it feel like they had more planned for her, like she'd have a whole facility on Route 6 rather than her just standing there out in the open by her machine. I noticed the mismatched shoes earlier this week. In addition, her glasses are very low on her head, like they're about to fall. She also makes some weird, confusing word choices (namely "Please take and care for this Pokémon"). Someone wanted this character to be memorable, but there isn't much to really do that.

For what it's worth, they seem happy enough in-game. Dracovish certainly doesn't act like it can't breathe, it runs and plays like other pokemon in camp.

Yeah, my Arctovish just comes right up to me in Camp and likes playing with the fluffy stick.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
2FZPRH4.png

"Yup. That's exactly how I feel at this moment. I'm happy to have been born without the warmth of Arceus's light inside of this polar ice cap of a torso, which causes me to have a perpetual cold, only to be surrounded by more snow. No, shut the f*** up, Game Freak. Why did you cut Arceus from the game? I, and my other un-Godly brethren, wouldn't have been born if His divinity was still present. Where are you, Arceus? I want to come home."

Emboar_Rulez

Pokémon Master (Kinda)
I honestly disliked the new fossil Pokemon I think they are ugly and wish they just used normal fossil Pokemon instead of halves of them.I do like though how op Dracovish is and how they aren't all rock types for once.

Kyuu-Tales

織田信長☆FAN
I was so happy when I was able to get all four fossil halves in both of my games without trading! I made the mistake of being dead-set on Dracozolt in Shield and Arctovish in Sword when their components were nightmares to get. I thought I was doing the sentient half of each chimera a favor... honest. Dracozolt is just a wee bit unsettling, but at least it's not shaking like poor Arctozolt. Unlike Dracovish, Arctovish has to be seen in action to realize there's something wrong. ...Sweetheart, I'm so sorry your head is upside down and I have to feed you curry like a trash disposal unit.

Last edited:

Doomseed

Lurks most of the time
I manage to get the final fossil pokemon Dracovish after spending like 26000+ watts with the digging bros to get the drake fossil
I love Dracozolt the most with Dracovish at close secound. I manage to get all four in sword, it was major pain in getting those fossils.

The designs are kinda like ancient frankensteins. Needless to say they first freak me out but they started to grow on me.

Now I gonna work on getting a 6 best IV Dracovish (although having 5 best IV's is kinda good enough for what I have in mind)

PsychoIncarnate

I use arctozolt and dracovish. I made arctozolt a special attacker even though his physical is higher because I had enough physical mon's on my team. Love them both.

TwilightBlade

I don't like the whole mismatched fossil parts and how you can mix and match them to your liking. The thing about fossil Pokemon is that they're supposed to be ancient beings resurrected after millions of years, so being able to assemble the new fossil Pokemon like puzzles just doesn't fit the lore that fossil Pokemon had in the past.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
"Yup. That's exactly how I feel at this moment. I'm happy to have been born without the warmth of Arceus's light inside of this polar ice cap of a torso, which causes me to have a perpetual cold, only to be surrounded by more snow. No, shut the f*** up, Game Freak. Why did you cut Arceus from the game? I, and my other un-Godly brethren, wouldn't have been born if His divinity was still present. Where are you, Arceus? I want to come home."

They cut Arceus so Cara Liss could not be punished for her sins

TrainerFuurin

I really love them and would not prefer the complete form over their current forms... There is a uniqueness on them that you cannot find on any other Pokemon.

In Japanese culture, there is a term called "Wabi Sabi" which means beauty in imperfection, and I truly believe this is what I see from these fossils. But I guess not everyone could see it...

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
I don't like the whole mismatched fossil parts and how you can mix and match them to your liking. The thing about fossil Pokemon is that they're supposed to be ancient beings resurrected after millions of years, so being able to assemble the new fossil Pokemon like puzzles just doesn't fit the lore that fossil Pokemon had in the past.

How does it not fit the lore? This is basically addressing what happens when you put fossils of different species together. (I personally find them funny, in a dark kind of way.)

BCVM22

This is what paleontology was in the earliest days of the science. Bipedal dinosaurs were assembled as quadrupeds, thumb spikes were placed as nose horns, and so on. That's the whole joke, that Cara Liss is visibly and ignorantly putting them together incorrectly. These Pokémon are "ancient beings resurrected after millions of years," they're just being resurrected humorously and staggeringly incorrectly. There's no "lore" that it doesn't fit.

I'm amazed at how many people gloss over the fact that the joke is the entire point. "Sure, I get the joke, but what if no joke in the first place?" Without the mix and match element, we'd "merely" have what looks like a Rockless Relicanth and a generic stegosaur-like dinosaur and a prehistoric Lapras. And not that those wouldn't be fun! I would like to see what the "real" Pokémon might have looked like, but I suspect at this early stage (absent any knowledge of future games) that the "whole" designs are like the original Zekrom/Reshiram/Kyurem dragon or Genesect's pre-resurrection form - meant to be imagined as opposed to seen. Regardless, these delightful abominations against creation are so much more creative and funnier than if we had just gotten more part-Rock-type fossil Pokémon based solely on a single prehistoric animal. Seriously - there's so much more entertainment value in the fossil woman hammering an ancient fish's head on to the tail of a dinosaur and going "yep this looks right" than if we had "only" gotten a pure-Water-typed giant fish.

Rested

no it actually makes sense why they did the fossils that way . it has to actually do with the fact that the galar region is based of GB and the first discovers of fossils where from GB and when they first discovered fossils it wasnt common knowledge what went with what so they had alot of mismatched fossils for a long time

Kingudora

My favourite
Other than misconstructed skeletons early on in paleontology, there has also been a trend (even today) of a 'raptor bias' in depictions of dinosaurs, where dinosaurs tend to be depicted as more sleek and agile than they actually might have been.
I could have seen this as a fun in-game explanation for at least Dracozolt, and I think it would have been better if we could have seen the combined fossils at a display before being able to resurrect them, where the skeletons look right, but then have player realize they had entirely different body builds.

As a sidenote, the article features art by some paleontologists of how some modern-day animals would look based on that same bias, which is equally horrifying and hilarious!

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
I also find them entertaining. We got new type combos for the fossils instead of the usual Rock and they are all rare combos. Water/Ice isn’t as common as you’d think if you look at the list of every dual type Pokémon.

Ohshi

Banned from Club Penguin
The complete versions look so much better

Yeah makes me hope that the completed versions (with rock typing I guess) will eventually come out in maybe Sword and Shield 2 or Giga Sword and Shield.

But seeing how Game Freak never showed the complete original dragon of Reshiram, Zekrom, and Kyurem, I can also see the original fossil forms being never released unfortunately as well.