• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The new fossil Pokémon

Luthor

They're more 2/3rds the original dragon than the complete dragon. I imagine the ice is meant to fill the missing 1/3rd gap, and the complete version would blend Reshiram and Zekrom's features

Since the fossil Pokemon are Frankenstein monsters, I think that if the completed version of each fossil is released they'll be breedable

Which could mean that in future games the current sword and shield fossils could become the hardest fossil Pokemon to get. As they can't be bred and traded unlike all the others.

jaden767

Amphetamine
I like the idea of the new fossils being able to combine with each other to form a unique Pokemon. It's like GF revamped the Kyurem, Zekrom and Reshiram fusion feature from B2W2.

Emboar_Rulez

Pokémon Master (Kinda)
I like them but Dracovish is way to op and they need to either give him another ability or lower the base power of fishous rend I didn’t really like the other fossils since they looked kinda ugly and were tricky to get ingame

Leonhart

Imagineer
RedJirachi said:
They're more 2/3rds the original dragon than the complete dragon. I imagine the ice is meant to fill the missing 1/3rd gap, and the complete version would blend Reshiram and Zekrom's features

I didn't really think of the Gen V Tao trio when I saw the new Fossil Pokemon fusions, but now that I think about it I can definitive imagine Game Freak getting the idea to fuse the new Gen VIII Fossil Pokemon from their previous concept of fusing the Tao trio.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
I like them but Dracovish is way to op and they need to either give him another ability or lower the base power of fishous rend I didn’t really like the other fossils since they looked kinda ugly and were tricky to get ingame

Reducing the power of Fishious Rend would also affect Arctovish as well. If they want to nerf Dracovish, they either need to change Strong Jaw to something else or make Fishious Rend ineligible for the Strong Jaw boost.

DaddyOak

I like the idea of the new fossils being able to combine with each other to form a unique Pokemon. It's like GF revamped the Kyurem, Zekrom and Reshiram fusion feature from B2W2.

revamped horror abomination mode yes

at least the gen 5 dragon combo looked decent. sure not the best designs ever but it was alright

arctofish looked normal but than you figure he has his head upside down

or dracofish until you realise the head is on the top the end part of it's tail.

It's like gamefreak had a toddler doing the designs that time around. It's not a good thing imo i hope they ever get evolutions that let's those fossil pokemon get rid of those horrible frankenstein designs.

EmeraldArcanine

#TeamScorbunny
revamped horror abomination mode yes

at least the gen 5 dragon combo looked decent. sure not the best designs ever but it was alright

arctofish looked normal but than you figure he has his head upside down

or dracofish until you realise the head is on the top the end part of it's tail.

It's like gamefreak had a toddler doing the designs that time around. It's not a good thing imo i hope they ever get evolutions that let's those fossil pokemon get rid of those horrible frankenstein designs.
I'm starting to think you don't see the reference that them being abominations are.
Them looking wrong is the entire point, it was a thing in real life. There's a so called infamous "Unicorn" that is just a rhino head with two front feet and no hinds and uses its whole spine as a tail and is wtf-worthy to look at.

These four fossils are literally referencing that wtf-kery.

That is literally the POINT.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
In my Shield game, I’m only missing Arctozolt. It’s crazy that I managed to find all the Fossils at least once.

DaddyOak

I'm starting to think you don't see the reference that them being abominations are.
Them looking wrong is the entire point, it was a thing in real life. There's a so called infamous "Unicorn" that is just a rhino head with two front feet and no hinds and uses its whole spine as a tail and is wtf-worthy to look at.

from what i've read it was a reference to piltdown man.

the missing link between humans and apes. however this was fake since dawson combined different remains of different spots and combined them to try and pass them off as legit.

orangutan and human remains combined. he failed in the end it was considered a fraud. multiple researchers did such things btw since new finds mean extra earnings for these researchers and allot of honor with a ton of other creatures. it's big deal if new species get discovered especially bigger creatures such as dino's humans big mamals. insects and small fish are way smaller deals when you discover them

The whole thing seems to be an elaborate joke about a real-world fossil phenomenon, and in this respect, England — the region which Sword and Shield seem to draw inspiration — is particularly notorious. The infamous Piltdown Man, for instance, had archaeologist Charles Dawson trying to pass off an assortment of remains from different sources as an ancient human. Piltdown Man was supposed to be the missing link between humans and apes. Piltdown Man is also not real. Dawson allegedly combined the remains of orangutans and humans in an attempt to pass it off as an actual creature, only for the whole thing to get outed as a fraud. I can only imagine what Piltdown Man would have looked like if we had the technology to bring it back to life, as Pokémon does.

https://www.polygon.com/2019/11/22/...zolt-dracovish-arctovish-pokedex-england-fake

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piltdown_Man

in other words if it really is a reference to this than those pokedex entries are made up by the proffesor and those creatures never existed back in the day and it was a frankenstein messup.

in other words not a wtf reference but rather a crazy proffesor trying to pass off his frankenstein creations to try and pass them off as legit creatures that existed in the past while in reality it's fake + it's pokedex entries. the legit creatures should have the correct halves combined. those pokedex entries are BS fraud

even if the origin is interesting not everybody has to love the designs. definitely bottom tier design creations for me but i respect it if people really love the designs.

Last edited:

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
I think it’s understandable how early paleontologists could easily mess up recreating a skeleton from random fossils. I mean if you found a bunch of random bones in a hole, you have absolutely no idea if they all came from the same species or twelve different ones.

Orphalesion

Personally I got the point from the very beginning, but in real-life paleontology, the wrong and mixed-up fossil combinations of earlier times still looked like things that, theoretically, could have been alive.

The Gen 8 fossil reconstructions don't.

That's why I'm not a fan of them. I would have preferred if the fossils had looked a bit more like this:
https://imgur.com/a/ieDX7Yr

I especially love that version of Dracovish. It's so much more creative and natural with it using the tail-spikes as arms. That's a lot more like real-life mistakes in paleontology than what we got in the game.

Last edited:

Ophie

Salingerian Phony

Not only that, but that thing has two knees on each leg. They're not even digitigrade legs, which look like they might have a backwards knee below the regular knee (as can be seen on the hind legs of cats, dogs, and horses, for instance--as opposed to plantigrade legs, the kind that humans have, as well as bears, weasels, and raccoons). Instead, all of the knees bend forward. The sharp pointy bits on the spine also point downward, which makes no sense.

I think it’s understandable how early paleontologists could easily mess up recreating a skeleton from random fossils. I mean if you found a bunch of random bones in a hole, you have absolutely no idea if they all came from the same species or twelve different ones.

There's also the fact that complete skeletons take a LONG time to find. It takes decades, sometimes centuries. Triceratops is one famous example in that they found skull after skull, and it was in the double-digits until anyone could find any other bone from the creature. As a result, paleontologists knew what its head looked like (and enough to call it Triceratops, or "three-horned face"), but they didn't know if it was bipedal or quadrupedal or something else entirely, what its body shape was like, how it moved around, or how it used that thick plate surrounding its face.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Personally I got the point from the very beginning, but in real-life paleontology, the wrong and mixed-up fossil combinations of earlier times still looked like things that, theoretically, could have been alive.

The Gen 8 fossil reconstructions don't.

That's why I'm not a fan of them. I would have preferred if the fossils had looked a bit more like this:
https://imgur.com/a/ieDX7Yr

I especially love that version of Dracovish. It's so much more creative and natural with it using the tail-spikes as arms. That's a lot more like real-life mistakes in paleontology than what we got in the game.
Yeah but it’s just not the same as seeing a fish head on a tail. Funnier!