• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The new fossil Pokémon

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I like them but Dracovish is way to op and they need to either give him another ability or lower the base power of fishous rend I didn’t really like the other fossils since they looked kinda ugly and were tricky to get ingame
Its powered by hatred of the fact that it exists

Aielyn

What would be really cool is if the Sinnoh remakes (assuming that they happen soon) introduce some new mons (since the shift to regional-dex-only makes this easier), and since the Oreburgh Mining Museum has a bit of a fossil aspect to it, and the Sinnoh Underground is full of fossils, perhaps we could get the original full versions of these fossils, and thus get the original four pokemon?

I like the idea of having them show up whole somewhere, but not able to be transferred to Galar.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
What would be really cool is if the Sinnoh remakes (assuming that they happen soon) introduce some new mons (since the shift to regional-dex-only makes this easier), and since the Oreburgh Mining Museum has a bit of a fossil aspect to it, and the Sinnoh Underground is full of fossils, perhaps we could get the original full versions of these fossils, and thus get the original four pokemon?

I like the idea of having them show up whole somewhere, but not able to be transferred to Galar.
They will prevent Koffing being transferred to Sinnoh just to spite Regigigas

Luthor

It would make sense if a region which had a more established fossil research was able to put the pieces together better. Though I could also see the next games having the other 'halves' and putting those together instead. Ie The Bird fossil's legs and the Dino Fossil's head.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Keep in mind that none of that is concept art, it's fan art. Even if the "true" fossil forms end up existing in some fashion, there's no guarantee any of their as-yet unseen halves will look anything like that.
Or that we'll ever see the proper combination. But we should.

Weavy

I come and go suddenly
I understand what they were going for. Mix ups were common in early paleontology which explains all the mismatched body parts. While it feels like a good idea, I don't think it was executed very well. These fossils look like they're constantly suffering and realistically shouldn't be able to be alive in the first place, hence why these fossil Pokemon are my least favourite of the lot.

Arctovish is the most sensible looking of the lot to the point it could work, so to make it a mismatch, the head is on upside down. Dracozolt is almost sensible, but the body is too small, leaving some of it's insides exposed and that's kinda creepy to me. Arctozolt looks like it can't survive, evidenced by the top half shivering and the snot out of its nose. Dracovish is my least favourite out of all of them; having its head on its tail as well as its innards exposed does not sit well with me; this thing shouldn't be able to live.

But hey, they're the first fossils to not be Rock type, so they have that going for them, I guess.

BCVM22

These fossils look like they're constantly suffering and realistically shouldn't be able to be alive in the first place, hence why these fossil Pokemon are my least favourite of the lot.

Arctovish is the most sensible looking of the lot to the point it could work, so to make it a mismatch, the head is on upside down. Dracozolt is almost sensible, but the body is too small, leaving some of it's insides exposed and that's kinda creepy to me. Arctozolt looks like it can't survive, evidenced by the top half shivering and the snot out of its nose. Dracovish is my least favourite out of all of them; having its head on its tail as well as its innards exposed does not sit well with me; this thing shouldn't be able to live.

All of this, word for word, constitutes the entirety of the joke. Dracovish, for the very reasons you stated, is the funniest. The damn fossil woman literally shoved the head of a fish on to the TAIL of a dinosaur and said "yep this works" then took an early lunch.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
I recall her name is Cara Liss.

Forget Rose. She is the true villain of this generation lol

Weavy

I come and go suddenly
All of this, word for word, constitutes the entirety of the joke. Dracovish, for the very reasons you stated, is the funniest. The damn fossil woman literally shoved the head of a fish on to the TAIL of a dinosaur and said "yep this works" then took an early lunch.

I knew they were jokes; what they're based on makes that clear. Not everyone will find it funny (Like me), but I'm aware some people will. In the end, it's all subjective opinion.

Orphalesion

I knew they were jokes; what they're based on makes that clear. Not everyone will find it funny (Like me), but I'm aware some people will. In the end, it's all subjective opinion.

^This. So much. When someone doesn't like a joke design in Pokemon some people always act like the person just dislikes it because they didn't get the joke. But just we got the joke, we just don't find it funny.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
The people who say they hope to see the full versions of these animals are most definitely not getting the joke though. Part of the joke is that you'll never see them (just like how there was that one "Part 1" episode of The Venture Brothers that never got a "Part 2"--people asking for it were/are missing the joke).

Italianbaptist

Informed Casual
Arctozolt was a solid player on my team in the story and I just got him to level 100. As guilty as I felt for bringing it to life I’m glad it has a purpose :p

Looking at Dracovish’s model from behind and I’m actually getting Alien/Xenomorph vibes. Think that was intentional?

DKN117

Legend Tamer
Nurse Joy hummed as she placed the young Trainer's Pokeballs on the machine, ready to heal them. The images of the Pokemon inside came up... and Nurse Joy barely stifled a scream.

"W... What on Earth!?"

Shocked, she looked to the young boy, who tilted his head in confusion.

"Is... something wrong, ma'am?"

"U-Um... Where did you find these abom... these Pokemon?"

The boy smiled innocently. "Oh, I met this scientist lady on Route 6. She used her fancy machine to bring some Pokemon fossils back to life for me! I've never seen anything like them, but... well, I guess Pokemon looked weird in ancient times, yeah?"

The nurse, realizing this poor child had absolutely no idea that anything was wrong, tried very hard to put a fake reassuring smile on her face. "O-Of course, dear. Listen, could you tell me about..."

--

The scruffy-looking woman was in the shade, tending to her precious machine. Suddenly, she heard footsteps coming up behind her. Curious, she turned around.

"Ms. Cara Liss?" a tall, burly man in an official Galar League Law Enforcement uniform asked, sunglasses hiding his eyes above a stern and serious expression, one shared by his similarly-dressed partner. "We need you to come with us."

Orphalesion

The people who say they hope to see the full versions of these animals are most definitely not getting the joke though. Part of the joke is that you'll never see them (just like how there was that one "Part 1" episode of The Venture Brothers that never got a "Part 2"--people asking for it were/are missing the joke).
Uh....no. I'm still getting the joke, I understand that we'll most like 99.9% never gonna get the real version, but I'd still like to see them.

I know that even if they didn't want to perpetuate this pretty cliche and derivative "joke" there'd be no good opportunity to introduce said full versions. In the 3rd versions? No, if we get new Pokemon there it will most likely be legends or mythicals. Next generation? No, by then they want to focus on the new Pokemon and not on the Gen 8 ones.
But it not going to happen doesn't bar people from wishing or hoping for it, the idea that you'll never be allowed to have the full version of something is just gonna rub quite a few people the wrong way in a collective monsters game like Pokemon.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
But it not going to happen doesn't bar people from wishing or hoping for it, the idea that you'll never be allowed to have the full version of something is just gonna rub quite a few people the wrong way in a collective monsters game like Pokemon.

I guess you do get the joke, but rubbing people the wrong way is exactly the point. You leave people hanging. One possible way for them to proceed, though, is to show the complete versions in-game via artwork, completed skeletons, and so forth, but have them denied to you (which is, of course, extending the joke further). This is the general gist of anti-humor.

It's become a bigger thing in Japanese humor thanks to the popularity of Pop Team Epic, I noticed. One characteristic skit formula for that webcomic/anime series is for it to tell a joke without a punchline, sometimes frequently over a short time, and sometimes looking like it will actually have a punchline, only for it to suddenly move on to the next thing (or in the case of the anime, ends the episode then and there). There are enough full gags complete with punchlines to keep you guessing.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
These beings are why I will never get the Shiny Charm in Sword and Shield

Ubermuk

Sticky & Sweet
Love the fact that they can be assembled like a 3D puzzle, but I wish that the new fossil Pokemon looked better. I hate Arctozolt like a bad itch because it looks effing ridiculous.