• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

"The New Pocket Monsters Series", starts April 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
will you two please stop fighting, i've been on edge lately as is...

So i'm still wondering, if there's 2 new characters and 3 starters, who is getting 2?
We are not fighting!

Redstar45

Sham

The Guardian of War
I hope they actually allow Fuecoco to evolve but given his final evolution, I have my doubts. Speaking of, did any of Ash's friends have a Ghost Type?

Tobunarimo

Bird-Brain Banter
At least Roy's name isn't "Loy"

I mean if they had to change her name, wouldn't "Lika" be something a bit better? Whatever, It'll grow on people.

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
At least Roy's name isn't "Loy"

I mean if they had to change her name, wouldn't "Lika" be something a bit better? Whatever, It'll grow on people.

They're not changing it, it's just a stylistic romanization choice. Same reason Rica Matsumoto spells her name "Rica" instead of "Rika".

Tobunarimo

Bird-Brain Banter
I hope they actually allow Fuecoco to evolve but given his final evolution, I have my doubts. Speaking of, did any of Ash's friends have a Ghost Type?
Unless you want to count Luke, Rotom Dex, and in a sense Jessie... No.
They're not changing it, it's just a stylistic romanization choice. Same reason Rica Matsumoto spells her name "Rica" instead of "Rika".
Well you said Riko is a common Japanese name. But again, whatever, pretty sure the only people that would care are the people who have been talking about it before the official name came out.

sutellakiara

Shirona, my beloved...
I'll be utterly surprised if the cat doesn't evolve with how popular Meowscara is so far. Granted, there's a good chance it may stay unevolved too. 50/50 on that one but leaning to full evolution.
Fuecoco is not evolving at all. It's definitively gonna be this gen's gagmon starter.
No idea about the duck but I'm not putting any big hopes on it with how unpopular its line has been proving to be.
I'll also be really shocked if Riko doesn't end up with a Pawmi, too. You know they won't be able to resist that one and looking at it on hindsight now it makes perfect sense why the thing barely changes when it evolves, now they can avoid another Raichu situation.

Miky

The newer YW anime bombed not because Keita got removed, they bombed hard because they went the completely opposite in terms of what the OG YW anime was, kept trying to reinvent the wheel, changed the tone like crazy, and honestly had zero idea of what they were going.
You can also blame YW brand a whole reclining too, a desperate attempt to try to catch back the popularity the series had on its heyday.

People are so melodramatic. Precure, Sentai, Kamen Rider, Digimon, YGO, Beyblade, Aikatsu, Pretty Rhythm, Aikatsu, Vanguard and god knows how many more others have been changing their main characters, settings, plot, etc with every season and are still going like normal or lasted for a very pretty damn long while.
And that's just for more kids oriented franchised. How about Gundam? Love Live? I still remember people going about how Love Live was gonna die after Muse graduated and Sunshine happened.

It's ****ing Pokemon. They could do no new anime and practically nothing would change for them. And in that same vein, it's ****ing Pokemon so people will watch it anyway.

You'd think Pokemon is a struggling almost dying franchise and that this is a desperate last attempt to revitalize the franchise or something like that with how some people are going.
They're not fully wrong though sans whining. Can you imagine actually trying to wrap up Ash's story and being clear about its finality ? I think they regret it. There's a quote that made me relate to all this. What you have you don't know until you lose it. Ppl wanted Ash to go away.. but didnt think it'd happen.

I really just don't want them to keep changing protags. Depends how it goes but I fear it will make the gen chars more forgettable

Sham

The Guardian of War
She's named after the gloRIoSA, so it sort of makes sense. Though I'm not so sure the dubbers knew that.
Since you're here. What's with Diantha being referred as Carnet this whole time and why did the anime translate Unova as Issyu when the Masters Eight posters came out?

Redstar45

What made Ash and Pikachu so memorable back in the day? They need to create something similar but into todays mindset.
Probably right time ?

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
Since you're here. What's with Diantha being referred as Carnet this whole time

Ask the people that referred to her as that. I never did.
(but it was because Google Translate said so)

and why did the anime translate Unova as Issyu?

シュ is romanized as "syu" in Kunrei and Nihon-shiki styles of romanizations. "shu" is Hepburn style.

Tobunarimo

Bird-Brain Banter
What made Ash and Pikachu so memorable back in the day? They need to create something similar but into todays mindset.

I'd argue Ash was so memorable because he was, like the people who started with the series alongside him, new to the world of Pokemon despite living there all his life and getting the opportunity to discover it all first hand.

We who play the games and everything get to escape there, but he gets to live it.

And a world of discovery is appealing to kids who have yet to go out into the world and discover it for themselves, be it the good or the bad that they learn along the way.

Can't imagine Liko and Roy not having that same effect on the next generation of Pokemon kids.

Sham

The Guardian of War
I hope they don't change characters every series, that will be annoying. What I'm wondering is what are they gonna do about references. As in does everything before DP no longer exists? I hope that's not the case but they already shilled Sinnoh and Hoenn and Kanto things have never stopped referenced in the series.

Technically the new demographic they're appealing too would only know BW(2), XY and SM remakes. If this is a soft reboot will they acknowledge things from 25 years ago especially if that's not mandatory because of games?

Essentially did Ash drag Misty, Brock, Dawn etc with him

I hope Ash isn't too involved in this story. It's always corny when they send the main character on a bus only to pull a U Turn on the current generations (cough cough Boruto)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.