• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

"The New Pocket Monsters Series", starts April 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xuxuba

The game characters will probably get their own "twilight wings" where they can (rightfully) be given justice.

It’s better then being reduced to fodder for Riko/Roy LMAO
It's a shame these series are so short though.
But i guess even if they were to adapt each route in the show, it'd be probably be rushed as hell, as they would have too much to juggle around when you include the world traveling aspect and the anime's original characters into the mixture.

That said, i reckon they could get rid of the Starfall Street storyline and the old Gym Badge quest, but Arven's would be a tough one, as it's the one where most of the region's lore is contained.

I also have no idea how this fanbase is gonna react to Nemona getting the Hau/Hop treatment (or possibly even getting entirely excluded like Bede was), since she is such a popular character. Not that this ever stopped the writers lol

Last edited:

Konja7

Pokémon is a kodomo, not a shonen. So its target audience was meant to be kids in general, not just boys.

That isn't how it works. It's true that Kodomo is mainly directed to kids, but an anime being a Kodomo doesn't prevent an anime to be directed to a specific gender.

For example: Precure is a Kodomo, but it's clearly directed to a female audiencd.

Xuxuba

That isn't how it works. It's true that Kodomo is mainly directed to kids, but this doesn't prevent an anime to be directed to a specific gender.

For example: Precure is a Kodomo, but it's clearly directed to a female audiencd.
I'd call it a mahou shoujo aimed towards younger girls, tho i can't say i know much about it since i never really had interest in the series.

nuzamaki90

I just noticed Riko’s blue, Roy is Red, and Friede is Yellow.

So who’s going to be Green? We might have one more OC on the way.

AARTX

Dead inside…
It's a shame these series are so short though.
But i guess even if they were to adapt each route in the show, it'd be probably rushed as hell, as they would have too much to juggle around when you include the world traveling aspect and the anime's original characters into the mixture.

That said, i reckon they could get rid of the Starfall Street storyline and the old Gym Badge quest, but Arven's would be a tough one, as it's the one where most of the region's lore is contained.

I also have no idea how this fanbase is gonna react to Nemona getting the Hau/Hop treatment (or possibly even getting excluded altogether like Bede), since she is such a popular character.
Eh if anyone’s showing up, it’ll probably be Rika

Konja7

I'd call it a mahou shoujo aimed towards younger girls, tho i can't say i know much about it since i never really had interest in the series.
Mahou Shoujo is a gender/thematic, while Kodomo is a demographic. Precure being directed towards younger girls means is a Kodomo.

My point is the term Kodomo just means the age of the audience (not specify the gender of this audience), but this doesn't mean Kodomo anime aren't created with a gender for the main audiencd in mind.

PS: The reason why Pokemon makes eye candy for women is because the anime has a big enough female audience.

Last edited:

Xuxuba

Mahou Shoujo is a gender/thematic, while Kodomo is a demographic.

Precure being directed towards younger girls means is a Kodomo.

My point is Kodomo just means the age of the audience (not especific the gender of this audience). However, this doesn't mean Kodomo anime aren't created with a gender audience in mind.

PS: The reason why Pokemon makes eye candy for women is because the anime has a big enough female audience.
I do think however a piece of media can have more focus on the age of the audience than the gender itself, with the new female protagonist being a culmination of that.

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
Fun fact, "Kodomo" is this weird western fan-invented "demographic" that doesn't actually exist.

If someone tried arguing that those Barbie movies are Children's movies, and "Children's" is a demographic that encompasses both boys and girls so it's actually aimed at boys just as much as girls, I'm pretty sure Mattel would just laugh at them.

Konja7

Fun fact, "Kodomo" is this weird western fan-invented "demographic" that doesn't actually exist.

If someone tried arguing that those Barbie movies are Children's movies, and "Children's" is a demographic that encompasses both boys and girls so it's actually aimed at boys just as much as girls, I'm pretty sure Mattel would just laugh at them.

Thanks for the clarification. That explain some things about the Kodomo issue.

Xuxuba

Western denominations aside, Pokémon is a far more gender-neutral concept than Barbie ever was, at least when it comes to the stereotypical traits considered by marketing. An animalistic creature with fantastical powers is something that you'd often see in both fiction aimed towards boys and girls. And when it comes to Pokémon you'd often see in advertisement both genders playing with their products.

Of course, with the new generation of parents growing up to be more inclusive, the trend is for such barriers to at least reduce.

Last edited:

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
Western denominations aside, Pokémon is a far more gender-neutral concept than Barbie ever was, at least when it comes to the stereopical traits considered by marketing. An animalistic creature with fantastical powers is something that you'd often see in both fiction aimed towards boys and girls. And when it comes to Pokémon you'd often see in advertisement both genders playing with their products.

Of course, with the new generation of parents growing up to be more inclusive, the trend is for such barriers to at least reduce.

Yes, and the term "children's" has existed in English for ages as well. But that doesn't mean everything aimed at young children is "Children's" and thus can't possibly be aimed at a specific sex.

Japan has the words kodomomuke, jojimuke and danjimuke too.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Like the guy's design. Not sure how to feel about him potentially traveling along, but we'll see about that. Hopefully Cliveavel still gets focus

Xuxuba

Yes, and the term "children's" has existed in English for ages as well. But that doesn't mean everything aimed at young children is "Children's" and thus can't possibly be aimed at a specific sex.

Japan has the words kodomomuke, jojimuke and danjimuke too.
Not saying it can't, i am stating that Pokémon specifically has tried to advertise itself as a more gender-neutral franchise than most franchises aimed towards boys would, with the anime often portraying activities that aren't necessarily seen as stereotypically male and having multiple female main characters (aside from Chloe) with far more importance than most regular male characters, hence why i wouldn't call it "aimed for boys" (be it in japanese, english or whatever), especially now that Liko is taking the forefront of the anime's advertisement instead of Ash.

That said, i do think the franchise as a whole was not always like that.

Konja7

Western denominations aside, Pokémon is a far more gender-neutral concept than Barbie ever was, at least when it comes to the stereotypical traits considered by marketing. An animalistic creature with fantastical powers is something that you'd often see in both fiction aimed towards boys and girls. And when it comes to Pokémon you'd often see in advertisement both genders playing with their products.

Pokemon is definitely more gender neutral than Barbie, but I would say it is still more geared towards boys than girls.

I'm not sure Liko as a protagonist is necessarily to appeal a female audience. I suspect it's more related to her being Ash's replacement so they want a big change to avoid comparisons.

Last edited:

Veedramon

I just noticed Riko’s blue, Roy is Red, and Friede is Yellow.

So who’s going to be Green? We might have one more OC on the way.
Most likely Brassius, to keep the travelling gym leader tradition.

Plus they might want to give the ladies some extra eye candy alongside Friede

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.