• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

"The New Pocket Monsters Series", starts April 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bortgreen

Captain Pikachu is EPIC
Is there any chance the Western version of this will actually be a decent product for once? You know, no more BGM butchering, cut content, censorship...?
It will be awkward this time as they kept the soundtrack for Twilight Wings and the composers are the same
I hope they don't, but we will probably get the same usual BGM changes with 30s openings of random montages

Sham

The Guardian of Ruin and Birth
This is pretty much like when Misty left and was replaced by May lol
Why are they being so greedy idgi. Like he already defeated 1000+ Champions and got declared the strongest in the world. What more do they want?

Tabasco Boshi

★★★★★
It will be awkward this time as they kept the soundtrack for Twilight Wings and the composers are the same
I hope they don't, but we will probably get the same usual BGM changes with 30s openings of random montages
Awkward is seeing Ash's ultimate battle being butchered. And I don't even want to think about the MPM episodes, with that BGM variety some of us have asked for years being destroyed.

TPCi has no shame.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
At this point I'm not really expecting any major battling goals at all, especially if they're not gonna use any of the game characters.

Veedramon

I'm not really sure if I would consider that major tbh. You technically don't need to be at any specific level to battle a legendary.
I mean, if Roy's goal is to battle a Legendary pokemon (possibly a specific one), then him not training his pokemon for it and then being satisfied with the (possibly severe) loss against it would be pretty unlikely.

His main dream being to fight something really strong (combined with his general demeanor in all the promo material) indicates that he has a battle-hungry spirit

ShuckFam

I mean, if Roy's goal is to battle a Legendary pokemon (possibly a specific one), then him not training his pokemon for it and then being satisfied with the (possibly severe) loss against it would be pretty unlikely.

His main dream being to fight something really strong (combined with his general demeanor in all the promo material) indicates that he has a battle-hungry spirit
And that hungry spirit must be well fed by chef Liko!

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
Is there any chance the Western version of this will actually be a decent product for once? You know, no more BGM butchering, cut content, censorship...?
Maybe?

I suspect that there will be some changes. Music might change due to licensing fees/issuers. I suspect there will be some cut content or "censorship" due to different cultural values and the needs of the different networks the show airs on. But I don't think this will be on the level of what 4Kids did with the Jelly Donuts...err...rice balls.

The issue isn't the composers. The issue is how the show gets distributed and how people are paid for the music. Twilight Wings was a YouTube series distributed directly by TPC, so it would be easier to keep the original music. It wasn't sublicensed to various TV networks around the globe.

I'm not a lawyer, but I can imagine that music licensing for a show like Pokemon is very complicated.

Tabasco Boshi

★★★★★
Maybe?

I suspect that there will be some changes. Music might change due to licensing fees/issuers. I suspect there will be some cut content or "censorship" due to different cultural values and the needs of the different networks the show airs on. But I don't think this will be on the level of what 4Kids did with the Jelly Donuts...err...rice balls.

The issue isn't the composers. The issue is how the show gets distributed and how people are paid for the music. Twilight Wings was a YouTube series distributed directly by TPC, so it would be easier to keep the original music. It wasn't sublicensed to various TV networks around the globe.

I'm not a lawyer, but I can imagine that music licensing for a show like Pokemon is very complicated.
Music licensing for a show like Pokémon is very easy because it's literally the same like in any other tv show/anime. If anything, it's even easier for TPCi because it's their own show, coming from TPC. They have access to everything. They willingly destroy the show to gain a few bucks from the countries that are forced to use the pathetic English dub base. Of course they think they are doing us a favor and improving the product though.

I'm tired of reading this mantra of "licensing issues" with the music when it's simply false as seen even in some cases of the main series. TPCi is just stuck in an outdated practice that 4Kids started (and even them seemed to have more respect to the original source in some cases).

masdog

Music licensing for a show like Pokémon is very easy because it's literally the same like in any other tv show/anime. If anything, it's even easier for TPCi because it's their own show. They have access to everything. They willingly destroy the show to gain a few bucks from the countries that are forced to use the pathetic English dub base. Of course they think they are doing us a favor and improving the product though.
First, nothing with copyright is easy. Especially when it comes to international distribution. Assuming it is easy is a mistake.

Second, I'm not sure we know who owns the distribution rights to the show's original Japanese score or what the contract to license the music says.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
First, nothing with copyright is easy. Especially when it comes to international distribution. Assuming it is easy is a mistake.

Second, I'm not sure we know who owns the distribution rights to the show's original Japanese score or what the contract to license the music says.
I can't remember who exactly was it, but I do remember someone that worked on the dub (though I think it was someone from the 4kids dub) literally said it was to make extra money from licensing it to other countries' dubs

masdog

I can't remember who exactly was it, but I do remember someone that worked on the dub (though I think it was someone from the 4kids dub) literally said it was to make extra money from licensing it to other countries' dubs
I saw that. It was someone who worked on the 4Kids dub.

I haven't watched it, but I think this is what you're referring to.

Tabasco Boshi

★★★★★

I'm not saying it's easy. It's just as easy (or as difficult if you prefer) as with any other show.

I was about to post the video from above.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
I saw that. It was someone who worked on the 4Kids dub.

I haven't watched it, but I think this is what you're referring to.

aaaah, yeah it was that

Status
Not open for further replies.