• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

"The New Pocket Monsters Series", starts April 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueLight

A thing that surprised me was that all trailers were simultaneously subbed in respective international languages. I've been watching lately that whenever a big event in the anime takes place, when airing in Japan, like Ash becoming Monarch and announcement of MPM, subbed versions of them are released simultaneously.

Even more shocking is that when the official trailer of PM2023 was announced, localized name and logo of the new series was also formally displayed simultaneously. Sure, the original logo was shown in the teaser, but I didn't expect the English logo (along with the logo) to be shown at the same time as the official (subbed) trailer in the first place.

Did something like this happen before, because I've been seeing that anime like TYBW and MHA were getting two-week gap between sub and dub. Though, I doubt that this new series will be simuldub or in a similar situation as these two anime series since the last episode of JN (not MPM) is supposed to be released dubbed in Canada on the first week of May.

nuzamaki90

A friend of mine pointed out that the main cast have majority western names as opposed to Japanese, which to me feels like it’s because of the whole world traveling adventuring aspect of this series.

Also apparently the official website says Riko is a big fan of Gurumin/Nidothing, who we now know is the owner of Quaxly. I’m curious what their role in the series will be? Maybe the series’ version of Oak’s segments?

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
A friend of mine pointed out that the main cast have majority western names as opposed to Japanese, which to me feels like it’s because of the whole world traveling adventuring aspect of this series.

Also apparently the official website says Riko is a big fan of Gurumin/Nidothing, who we now know is the owner of Quaxly. I’m curious what their role in the series will be? Maybe the series’ version of Oak’s segments?
So it's looking like Gurumin might actually be a part of the main cast, since they've never had a starter not be owned by a main character before. Although this is the first time that a female MC obtains the Grass starter.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
So it's looking like Gurumin might actually be a part of the main cast, since they've never had a starter not be owned by a main character before. Although this is the first time that a female MC obtains the Grass starter.
someone mentioned Spe and yeah could be a case like with Marvin having Sobble in Spe SwSh

solrocknroll

S-Class Indigo League Fan
I feel like if Gurumin does have Quaxly, she’s going to be the “Brock” of the main group. I have no doubt she’s gonna be unmasked in the first year or so, it just might be a slow burn to get to that point.

Jeal

That's because the grass starter is not the ugly one anymore, but the cute/feminine one.

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
I’m still skeptical about it since we’ve been burned before with Koharu but unlike her, Gurumin has a current gen starter. It can be the cutesy plushy bait to fit w Gurumin herself (who seems to be the Iono/Vtuber stand-in as they’re popular now like idols were before, maybe if they want to add something like Showcases or….Contest Lives…they have someone for it) while Sprig & Fuecoco fully evolve. I’ve honestly come to like Quaquaval quite a bit since she’s my SV starter but it’s the least popular out of the three. It’s not like viciously hated but if anyone was to remain in their first stage it would be Quaxly.

ShadowForce720

I’m still skeptical about it since we’ve been burned before with Koharu but unlike her, Gurumin has a current gen starter. It can be the cutesy plushy bait to fit w Gurumin herself (who seems to be the Iono/Vtuber stand-in as they’re popular now like idols were before, maybe if they want to add something like Showcases or….Contest Lives…they have someone for it) while Sprig & Fuecoco fully evolve. I’ve honestly come to like Quaquaval quite a bit since she’s my SV starter but it’s the least popular out of the three. It’s not like viciously hated but if anyone was to remain in their first stage it would be Quaxly.
Actually if any of the gen 9 starters are going to be staying in their first stage it’s going to be Fuecoco and not Quaxly.

As Fuecoco just like the other gags starters is more popular then it’s final evolution and also has one of the personality traits that is common among the gag starters being gluttonous.

Quaxly on the other hand is less popular then it’s final evolution Quaquavel, and doesn’t really have anything in common with the other gag starters other then it being a Water type.

Honestly marketing wise it would be more marketable to have starters being handled the following way in terms of who will evolve:

Riko/Liko:
Sprigatito- - -> Floragato - - -> Meowscarada

Roy:
Fuecoco or Fuecoco - - -> Crocalor - - -> Skeledirge

Gurumin:
Quaxly - - -> Quaxwell - - ->Quaquavel

Rather then

Riko/Liko:
Sprigatito- - -> Floragato - - -> Meowscarada

Roy:
Fuecoco - - -> Crocalor - - -> Skeledirge

Gurumin:
Quaxly

solrocknroll

I think Fuecoco evolving makes nothing but sense if Roy’s goal is battling centric, while we don’t know anything about Gurumin or Quaxly to even make an assumption there.

Konja7

Honestly, I think they mantain western names so these wouldn't suffer changes when they get a dub.

In recent years, the sale of anime licenses to foreign markets has become pretty profitable (thanks to the streaming services).

Trey pokes

Honestly, I think they mantain western names so these wouldn't suffer changes when they get a dub.

In recent years, the sale of anime licenses to foreign markets has become pretty profitable (thanks to the streaming services).
Exactly. Netflix being a huge thing especially for the dub. Appealing to more international viewers could benefit the show in the long run. Plus, the upcoming Pokémon Concierge.

DuskAstral

As Fuecoco just like the other gags starters is more popular then it’s final evolution
Apparently true, but you have to take into account that Roy is the second MC, and it has never happened that the protagonist's pokémon did not evolve at least once.

divinepokemonXZ

ALL HAIL THE GORILLA-FROG!
I hope we can learn who is inside that Nido- suit. It would be weird if we never saw their real face.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
I think that it's possible that for the very first time none of the starters on the main cast even evolve at all.

solrocknroll

I think that it's possible that for the very first time none of the starters on the main cast even evolve at all.

I just don’t think that’s very likely. Meowscarada seems decently popular and also has a body suited for fighting like all the other extremely humanoid starters that came before it. Liko’s Sprigatito would probably need to evolve to have much of a moveset since it’s quadrupedal.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
I just don’t think that’s very likely. Meowscarada seems decently popular and also has a body suited for fighting like all the other extremely humanoid starters that came before it. Liko’s Sprigatito would probably need to evolve to have much of a moveset since it’s quadrupedal.
They could just as easily have a rival showcase Meowscarada.

Status
Not open for further replies.