• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The New Single Rates Thread - Follow the format in the OP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zennyboiz

Herr Wailord
@Ace - Poison is a horrible offensive typing, same with Psychic, and unless you get STAB from Psychic, then it isn't that useful.

Eon Master

Born from the Flames
This should have been your go to explanation. What you said first came off as rather... unhelpful, and felt more like you were just trying to denounce the uses of sucker punch overall without explaining WHY it was really bad outside of battle subway/competitive play.

My initial arguments had nothing to do with Sucker Punch. I didn't even mention it until the last bit. What I was trying to do was show why the entire set was bad, and that probably made my arguments a little cluttered.

Kerech

Shinigami...CHOP!
@Pokemon Ace: .......you do know that Psychic is a, um, Psychic type move, correct? Pardon me if I seem a bit blunt here, but I don't understand why or how Psychic helps you here in any way, or how it could be confused as STAB...also, do you know about STAB? Because if you want to get technical, Sludge Bomb is Gengar's strongest move, followed by Shadow Ball.

NidokingJ

Addicted2Pokemon
OKay to whoever was hating on my arbok, Its obviously a game changing arbok, Idk if this is the in game team rate? i thought it was the competitive rate. Anyways, I play doubles alot and i find this Arbok Super effective, Hes Not really a sweeper but he does damage, If you dont think so, see me in a double battle ;) And Thank you to those people Who do see true potential in this arbok, he really is Overlooked, specially with intimidate, he can come in and out, His 85 speed sucks so i scarfed Him, To make him faster then most, Then He moves first, then switches out if he cant do anything, and gets another intimidate. Switcheroo With CS is awsome btw, and if You still think this arbok sucks then, I dont care. lol Maybe for you, Not for me! Peace.

To be nitpicky, I'm pretty sure Hyper Beam is Gengar's strongest move, but Sludge Bomb is the strongest that is relevant.

Yeah, just run the one in the OP. It will do you good.

@ NidokingJ:

If you don't accept a rate, then why do you post here? It isn't good and you should listen to Eon about its flaws. You can't ignore advice saying, "Oh this isn't exactly right," and in fact say "sorry, its really good and you are ignorant of its awesomeness." You haven't once explained why it deserves respect. It has flaws too. You are praising the ones who aren't helping you, the ones who say, "really good, 10/10" isn't being helpful, it's not improving it. Second of all, Sucker Punch avec CS is bad, but you WILL Trickeroo it off, so I don't think it's that bad, but just use Crunch. It isn't situational, although it loses its priority, it just fits with CS. 85 Speed is not at all bad, Chandelure has 80 and it's one of the best non-legendary Pokemon in the game. Just voicing my opinion.

Last edited:

YOOMTAH

Let's dance~
Defensive Gyarados wants to get mentioned...

Gyarados @ Leftovers
• Intimidate
• Impish
• 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpDef
- Waterfall / Bounce
- Toxic / Dragon Tail / Bounce
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

To get a little impression about what this thing can do, take a look at some Garchomp's Outrage vs. Defensive Gyarados. Your 2nd move is what fits your team best really, Toxic is the most recommended In-Game since you don't really plan for poisoning each Pokémon by a status inducer, nor using Toxic Spikes, but if this is the case you might want to consider Dragon Tail to phaze or Bounce as a second STAB. I do not recommend Bounce however, because this doesn't work well with RestTalk.

does anyone have a good moveset for samurott, serperior and blaziken but with water pledge, grass pledge and fire pledge?

Pokemon Ace

Dragon Master
@ Kerech: Of course I know Psychic is not an STAB move for Gengar. -.-

I was stating that using the other options mentioned in the Gengar moveset on the front page do not make use of Gengar's poison type, which Sludge Bomb would. Hence the difficulty in choosing a good moveset for Gengar since he has access to a variety of special attacking moves.

Final

I Submit to No One
@ Kerech: Of course I know Psychic is not an STAB move for Gengar. -.-

I was stating that using the other options mentioned in the Gengar moveset on the front page do not make use of Gengar's poison type, which Sludge Bomb would. Hence the difficulty in choosing a good moveset for Gengar since he has access to a variety of special attacking moves.

Gengar has many options in that department but there's a difference between good options and bad options. Sludge Bomb while being his most powerful STAB Attack is a poor option because while it makes use of his secondary STAB, Poison is a poor Attacking type. It only scores Super Effective damage on Grass and is resisted by a fair few types in return (in fact it does nothing to Steel types). His other options provide a lot more in the way of general type coverage. Hidden Power Ice for example hits Grass types (abeit not as hard as Sludge Bomb does in most cases) but it covers a wider range of targets and even though it is resisted by Steel, the wider range of Super Effective targets makes up for it. Hidden Power Fire works similarly except Steel gets hit Super Effectively by it. The only time Poison type attacks become useable is if it is STABed and the user lacks any better options.

Last edited:

Pokemon Ace

Dragon Master
So the best attacking moveset for Gengar would probably be Shadow Ball, Thunderbolt, Energy Ball and Focus Blast, with maximised EVs in special attack and speed? That will probably be my setup in that case.

Aurath8

Ursaring@Toxic Orb
Jolly/Quick Feet
-Swords Dance
-Return
-Close Combat
-Crunch

Realised this guy gets CC now. Yeah.
Quick Feet 'cos being slow after using CC sucks. Toxic Orb for forced status. Burn will lower my attack sooo. Jolly nature as Quick Feet isn't enough to outspeed everything.
SD for huge atk boost yay. Return for STAB. Close Combat for dealing with, almost anything. Crunch for Ghosts looking to ruin my fun.

This exact set can also be used with Granbull except with Bulk Up and worse stats.

mychemro

Dragon Trainer
Can you rate my Empoleon please
Empoleon
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Flash Cannon
- Rain Dance
Item Attached: Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 72 HP / 184 Spd / 252 SAtk
Modest Nature

Final

I Submit to No One
So the best attacking moveset for Gengar would probably be Shadow Ball, Thunderbolt, Energy Ball and Focus Blast, with maximised EVs in special attack and speed? That will probably be my setup in that case.

Generally yes. If Hidden Power is an option, Hidden Power Ice is probably the best choice in-game over Energy Ball. Fire is useful for hitting stuff like Scizor although I think you'd only see him in the Battle Subway and Scizor usually beats Gengar in competitive anyway due to powerful priority Bullet Punch so Ice is probably more useful. It hits Dragon types harder than any of Gengar's other moves and the dual-typed ones like Salamence that are 4x weak to it get destroyed by it in a single hit. Not to mention it combines with Thunderbolt to form a Pseudo-Bolt Beam attacking combination which gets great type coverage so Gengar will have 2 deadly two-attack attacking combinations on 1 moveset.

NidokingJ

Addicted2Pokemon
Okay well, i found out this is in game thread so, my bad. Ill move back to where the real players are. Muhahah, and yeah his base speed is 80 not 85, But okay Sucker Punch> crunch for revenge kills and weak psychics, Im done, if you want to argue more, See my thread in competitive.

The Head Honchkrow

Fearow @ Leftovers (?)
• Sniper
• Jolly
• 252 Atk/252 Spd/6 HP (?)
- Drill Peck
- Drill Run
- U-Turn
- Roost

Suggestions?

~The Head Honchkrow~

PhoenixShad0w13

Sword Master
Scizor @ leftovers
• Technician
• Admant, 31 Attack IV
• 255 Speed, 255 Attack
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Aerial Ace
- Iron Head

I'm thinking of switching Iron Head with Metal Claw. What do you say? And do you have any other suggestions?

Final

I Submit to No One
Scizor @ leftovers
• Technician
• Admant, 31 Attack IV
248 HP / 252 Attack / 8 Speed
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Brick Break
- Swords Dance

I'm thinking of switching Iron Head with Metal Claw. What do you say? And do you have any other suggestions?

Just use the set in the OP. It is really the best set for an all round in-game Scizor. Iron Head is not needed. Bullet Punch is more than powerful enough for a primary Steel type STAB move and even though it is 30 points weaker than Iron Head, the priority of it more than makes up for it. Also, without Brick Break, Scizor is stopped cold by Steel types unless they don't resist its other moves or are very physically frail and not a lot fit that category. Swords Dance allows Scizor to boost its already high Attack stat and with its good Defensive typing and decent Defensive stats, it'll get plenty of opportunities to set up.

Dragon trainer

Arise from the Ashes
Zebstrika @ Leftovers
Adamant/Jolly
- Motor drive
- Wild Charge
- Flame Charge
- Double Kick
- Thunder wave

Anything wrong with this Zebstrika?

Sceptilo

Hakuna Matata!
Is there a good special attacking moveset for meganium? I know it's weird, it can do other things better, but I would like to have one. and maybe some bulk, but it naturally has good defenses.
I thought of
Meganium @ lefties
• leaf guard
• modest
• 252 HP, 252 sp.atk
- energy ball
- rest
- toxic
- venoshock
rest heals me and status in one turn completely in sun. and I'll put into a sunny day team. energy ball as my main attacking move. questions: Does leaf guard also heal confusion? then i'd use petal dance. or should I just go with solar beam? but that doesn't work without sun. toxic is cool, and venoshock has 130 base power then.
are there other good special moves for meganium?

I would like to have more coverage, but I can only see ancientpower there...

Last edited:

yinandyang

Balance and Equity
• Fearow @ Leftovers/Scope Lens
• Sniper
• Jolly/Adamant
• 252 Atk/252 Spd/4 HP
- Drill Peck
- Drill Run
- U-Turn
- Return

I like this. With Drill Run, Fearow got a way to rid the Electric and Rock types it dislikes so much. However, I don't think Fearow is bulky enough to try to use Roost & Leftovers; it seems more like a glass cannon to me, with base 65/65/61 HP/Def/SpDef. I would put Return in the final slot for secondary STAB, and for an item maybe use Scope Lens to work with Drill Run. Then again, any recovery is good, so maybe Leftovers would still work.

Status
Not open for further replies.